Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Fallout 3

Game » consists of 45 releases. Released Oct 28, 2008

In Bethesda's first-person revival of the classic post-apocalyptic RPG series, the player is forced to leave Vault 101 and venture out into the irradiated wasteland of Washington D.C. to find his or her father.

So I went to Wal-Mart, bought the game, and here's what I think..

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#1  Edited By jakob187

...and I know that you guys have been waiting for this one, so I hope you enjoy it:

I love it.

Yes, I just ate every negative word I spewed about this game.  I'm only about 3 hours in right now, and it's worth the $90.

Wait, what?  $90, you say?  Yes, when I went to Wal-Mart to get it at midnight, there was a whopping three people waiting for the game.  They only had 2 copies on 360 and 15 for PS3...and they only have the lunchbox editions.

It is worth the money.  I'll be playing this for quite a while.

So far, it just does everything right that I hated about Oblivion.  The game feels more focused to me, as I don't feel like a fucking chicken with my head cut off wondering around everywhere aimlessly.

The only thing I have a problem with right now is that the damned walks between areas take FOREVER without some kind of mount or something.  lol
    pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By pause422

I'm glad you like it, and it is kinda funny with how you've seemed towards it leading up to this :P I can't wait to get my copy in like 5 hours or so, trying to get a lot done in FarCry 2 while I can, since I won't play it for a bit once I get F3 in my hands.

oh, one thing I'm wondering if you can tell yet- like from how far you're generally moving from step to step, can you tell roughly how big the world is entirely? like compared to Oblivions Cyrodiil how much smaller, or around same size?

Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Cube
    Really?

Damnit now you've got me intrigued.

Solid_SnakeXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Solid_SnakeXx

Are the levels as the depressing as the oblivions? i remenber that every cave in oblivion was the same =O

Demilich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5  Edited By Demilich

Three more days over here.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Linkyshinks

Yep 3 days and counting, although it might come a day early for me. Glad to hear the games good.

Surely there must be some transport available later in the game.

hexogen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#7  Edited By hexogen
    Linkyshinks said:
    "Yep 3 days and counting, although it might come a day early for me. Glad to hear the games good.

Surely there must be some transport available later in the game."
    I know the game has a fast travel option, but it works like Oblivion's in the sense that you have to have already discovered the location you're traveling to.
    Balls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Balls
    jakob187 said:
    "...and I know that you guys have been waiting for this one, so I hope you enjoy it:
    I love it.

Yes, I just ate every negative word I spewed about this game.  I'm only about 3 hours in right now, and it's worth the $90.

Wait, what?  $90, you say?  Yes, when I went to Wal-Mart to get it at midnight, there was a whopping three people waiting for the game.  They only had 2 copies on 360 and 15 for PS3...and they only have the lunchbox editions.

So far, it just does everything right that I hated about Oblivion.  The game feels more focused to me, as I don't feel like a fucking chicken with my head cut off wondering around everywhere aimlessly.

The only thing I have a problem with right now is that the damned walks between areas take FOREVER without some kind of mount or something.  lol
    "
    Wait a minute, so you weren't looking forward to the game but you bought it at midnight?
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By jakob187
    Balls said:
    "Wait a minute, so you weren't looking forward to the game but you bought it at midnight?"
    The GB review...plus a message from Jeff...plus the shacknews article pointing out that Fallout purists would enjoy the game very much = decided to buy it at midnight.  Besides, I had the extra money, and if I didn't end up liking it...well, the boss was going to be buying 2 copies of the game anyways, so he could've just bought mine (remember, I work at a gaming center, hehehe).
    pause422 said:
    "oh, one thing I'm wondering if you can tell yet- like from how far you're generally moving from step to step, can you tell roughly how big the world is entirely? like compared to Oblivions Cyrodiil how much smaller, or around same size?"
    Just in what I've played, oh yeah...it's a big world to run around in.  Thing is that, yes, it's very barren.  It's kind of nice, but at the same time, it gets lonely.  lol  Once you do hit an area with enemies, though, it definitely can get hectic.  As compared to Oblivion's world...I haven't gotten far enough along in it to be able to completely compare, but just from what I've seen, it could rival it.  The nice thing is that there is almost always something to do and check out, all kinds of back info and shit.

Solid_SnakeXx said:
    "Are the levels as the depressing as the oblivions? i remenber that every cave in oblivion was the same =O"
    We're talking about a post-apocalyptic Washington D.C.  Are they supposed to be happy?  I mean, there's ghouls, radiated shit everywhere, lots of blood and gore (amazingly well done gore, lots of heads flying off bodies and such).  If you mean in terms of repetition...I can't say that I've felt that way yet.  I mean, there's a ton of rocks and stones everywhere from all the fallout and aftermath of the nukes...

***DEFINITE SPOILERS***
    Like, so far, I've pretty much gotten to Megaton and roamed around outside.  I found Wilks' daddy on a side quest, and now I gotta kill these wicked fucked-up fire ants.  Man, fuck those little bastards, lol.  I've met up with the Brotherhood of Steel already and fought this Super Mutant Behemoth, which I kept having trouble with until I finally listened to the one dood and got the Fat Man off a dead soldier...which is essentially the gun that fires off the mini-nukes.  It was epic, to say the least.  Hit up the radio station and talked to Three Dog.  After that, I made a good hard save and started fucking around with moral choices.  I hadn't, at this point, talked to the dood that will let you blow up Megaton (he's available in Moriarty's right at the beginning of your time in Megaton).  I went and talked to him, refused to blow up the fucking town, and talked to the sheriff, Simms (I think his name is Simms, can't remember...too tired).  Anyways, Simms ran in the bar, went all ape shit on the dood...Mr. Burke was his name...and then as Simms says "Mr. Burke, you're comin' with me", fuckin homeboy Burke pulls out a silenced 10mm and pops Simms in the back of the head.  I killed Burke, and ended up talking to his kid that showed up at the bar somehow.  What else did I do after that?  Started just mini-nuking some random people in Megaton.  Then I found Vault 106 (you start off at Vault 101), and it was inhabited by a bunch of insane survivors (of what, I don't know yet).  Either way, I was trying to get to the Northwest into Areju so I could deliver some message for some chick.  Never did get all the way through the place though, as I got super tired and decided to shut the game off.
    ***END SPOILERS***

Needless to say, I'm having a lot more fun with the game than I was expecting.  I'm going to say it right now:  it's easily one of my top 3 for the year (yes, Dead Space is still above it).  If you were doubting this game, give it a try.  It really has enough from the original Fallout games to make you feel at home while adding the good parts of Oblivion.

Although...I did ask Jeff what it was that pissed him off so much...and I can say that it's fucked up and, as I agree with him, definitely some bullshit to make someone go through.  Still, I'm looking forward to multiple playthroughs on this one.

Review should be up sometime this weekend.  Between making a Warhammer video for an iGames contest, a lock-in on Halloween, the release of Fallout 3, and the fact that I haven't seen my parents and brothers in about 3 weeks, I'm going to be pretty busy this week.
    Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Linkyshinks
    Hexogen said:
    "Linkyshinks said:
    "Yep 3 days and counting, although it might come a day early for me. Glad to hear the games good.

Surely there must be some transport available later in the game."
    I know the game has a fast travel option, but it works like Oblivion's in the sense that you have to have already discovered the location you're traveling to."

I don't like that most of the time, I would prefer it less in games of the future. I can understand the need to channel you down a story but I feel it can be done with a lot more subtlety. Give the player the freedom, let him find a surprise sidequest that can be fit into the story at any point.

BawlZINmotion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#11  Edited By BawlZINmotion

"So far, it just does everything right that I hated about Oblivion."

I love Fallout 1/2 but really couldn't get into Oblivion. Actually I could never get into any of the Elder Scrolls games. Maybe it's worth a look though.
    RedSox8933

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#12  Edited By RedSox8933

i bought it at midnight too and have been playing it all night. absolutely brilliant. i loved oblivion. this game is WAAAAAAY better than oblivion.

BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13  Edited By BoG

How's the lunchbox edition? I got the Pip Boy 3000 one, so I payed $30 more then you. Will I cry, or be happy that I drained my wallet on Amazon.com for this?

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By pause422

I just got a normal copy, I really didn't want to pay extra for that stuff...but I do regret it a bit, I'd love a Pip Boy 3000!

BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By BoG
    pause422 said:
    "I just got a normal copy, I really didn't want to pay extra for that stuff...but I do regret it a bit, I'd love a Pip Boy 3000!"
    It's better then being like I am, a total consumer whore. I'll put the pip boy right next to my GA-KO clock, Big Daddy and Mario figures, Black Mesa Mug, stuffed pikachu (which sits upon Master Chief), and mega man poster. If I ever need to store it all, I now have a handy lunchbox! Isn't that right, vault boy bobblehead!
    pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By pause422

I want a Black Mesa mug...damn.

sketch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By sketch

I can't afford to order the lunchbox edition, so i will satisfy myself by wearing my headcrab hat, and drinking from my Aperture science mug.
    Bring on Friday!

Locke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Locke

They only had the lunchbox edition for the midnight release which they know only the most hardcore will show up for demanding the game? Shenanigans.

lamegame621

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#19  Edited By lamegame621

wow.....jakob...i'm stunned. Hell has frozen over i believe. Well this makes me want to buy it even more now...oops...gotta go get it now. :P

BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By BoG

I have to ask, what did the collector's edition come in, and what was the game's box like? Was it like MGS, where the regular edition of the game was in a larger case with the bonus stuff, or does the game have it's own collector's packaging? I ask, as I assume my survival edition will be similar. Amazon says it is arriving today, and they better not let me down.

Elijah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Elijah

Well to be honest with you Jakob, everything I've seen you say about other games I've pretty much agreed with, so I'll definitely be picking this up now.

scottp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By scottp

i thought you wernt getting it today

kmdrkul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By kmdrkul

How is the real time shooting?  Is it really as bad as everyone has been saying?

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#24  Edited By Vinchenzo

Guys this is a joke topic. Jakob never approves of any game. Glad I caught it, pssh. Off to go buy Fallout 3...

Edit: It was a joke for people who didn't catch it. Dunno why I got a negative, Jesus.

vigorousjammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 41

#25  Edited By vigorousjammer

I had a great time with Oblivion, but it had a lot of noticeable problems...
    If Fallout 3 fixes at least some of those problems, I'll be happy...
    and, considering I've never played Fallout 1 or 2... Keeping stuff feeling like Fallout isn't too important to me...
    and the look of the game artistically, is looking excellent...
    definitely picking this up next chance I get...

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By jakob187

Man, I'm away for 6 hours to get some sleep, and this thing blows up!!!  lol  I feel so...so popular.

1.  Vinchenzo, it ain't a joke, lol.  I know you already stated that you were joking, but it's definitely not a joke.  I approve of this game.  = D  *Pip-Boy thumbs up*

2.  BoG, I don't really know the difference between all the special editions.  The lunchbox edition that I got came with:  making-of DVD (which I watched and was slightly disappointed at how slim the documentary was...as well as how often they REPEATED CLIPS)...art book, which I glanced at and it was pretty cool checking out the sketches compared to the in-game stuff...the lunchbox (obviously) which is really sweet for a tin lunchbox...and the Pip-Boy bobblehead.  That is definitely awesome, lol.  It's going right next to my Lieutenant Raziel action figure, Goat Boy action figure, Boomhauer action figure, Gollum sculpture (from the Two Towers extended gift set my parents got me one year for X-mas), my two Monty & the Grail action figures of the Dead Collector and the French Taunter, and my Office Space mug.  I might take pictures for you guys one day.  = D

3.  kmdrkul, the real time shooting...is almost pointless.  You can target specific areas, but without VATS, it does next to nothing.  You pretty much only use it as kind of an in-between when you are waiting for your AP to build back up.  Besides, with as cool as everything looks in VATS, there's no reason to go any other way.  This isn't a shooting game.  It's an RPG.  Remember that.  I've only gotten to mess with a handful of weapons, though:  pistols, assault rifles (and Jeff was right, the Chinese assault rifle is way nicer than the regular one), flamethrower, sniper rifle, hunting rifle...and I think that's about it.  Well, that and the Fat Man.  = D  Mini-nukes are awesome, kids...but use them wisely...VERY wisely.

I'm glad you brought this up, though...because I realized that part of the reason I'm loving Fallout 3 is because VATS reminds me of another game's combat system in many ways:  Vagrant Story...and if you people know me, I FUCKING LOVE VAGRANT STORY!!!  Greatest game ever made...and right now, Fallout 3 is really trying to push it out of that place.

4.  Chain Blast, the game is similar to Oblivion in the fact that you are running around an open world and doing quests...but the amount of quests at any given time never feels overwhelming like Oblivion did.  A lot of the reason I like this game in ways that Oblivion sucked is because I can recognize the characters and remember their names because they are so unique amongst each other.  In Elder Scrolls, everyone looked and felt the same.  In Fallout 3, I can tell the difference between Lucas Simms, Gob, Moriarty, Leo Stahl, Andy Stahl, the Confessor, Billy Kreel, and everyone else.  Megaton has some pretty cool and interesting characters, and the stories are really well told for all the characters that have them as well.  I can't even imagine what it's going to be like when I get SERIOUSLY hooked up with the BoS or show up at the Enclave base.  You can spend an hour or two in Megaton ALONE just wondering around and LOOKING for shit.  That's not even including talking to folks.

Ugh, here I am, starting to give a review.  LOL  I'm just ready to sink my teeth into it a little more tonight after work.  And given that I've got Wednesday and Thursday off (that's right, you guys will have two Jakob-free days now each week, so lucky aren't you)...I should be able to get through a playthrough or two.
    TheGTAvaccine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#27  Edited By TheGTAvaccine

Hmmm, I hated Oblivion as well, but have been excited for Fallout 3.

Cool beans, I feel more confident getting it.

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#28  Edited By RHCPfan24

well, if you like it, then I don't see how anyone can't. 

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By jakob187

*ugh*  ...and of course, I come to see what RHCP wrote...and someone has tried to neg bomb the thread...

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#30  Edited By Jayge_

That sucks (regarding the neg bombing).

I just put in a good 3 hours straight. I'm enjoying the hell out of it so far. What'd you think of the beginning? I didn't really think until after that I could blow off the GOAT for a bit and go explore, but I loaded a save and did that. It was pretty interesting. Also, did you read the poem that you got for your birthday from the woman? It's weird as hell. I loved the entire opening sequence though; the music and atmosphere leading up to the end were intense.

kmdrkul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By kmdrkul
    jakob187 said:

3.  kmdrkul, the real time shooting...is almost pointless.  You can target specific areas, but without VATS, it does next to nothing.  You pretty much only use it as kind of an in-between when you are waiting for your AP to build back up.  Besides, with as cool as everything looks in VATS, there's no reason to go any other way.  This isn't a shooting game.  It's an RPG.  Remember that.  I've only gotten to mess with a handful of weapons, though:  pistols, assault rifles (and Jeff was right, the Chinese assault rifle is way nicer than the regular one), flamethrower, sniper rifle, hunting rifle...and I think that's about it.  Well, that and the Fat Man.  = D  Mini-nukes are awesome, kids...but use them wisely...VERY wisely.

I'm glad you brought this up, though...because I realized that part of the reason I'm loving Fallout 3 is because VATS reminds me of another game's combat system in many ways:  Vagrant Story...and if you people know me, I FUCKING LOVE VAGRANT STORY!!!  Greatest game ever made...and right now, Fallout 3 is really trying to push it out of that place.

"
    Thanks for the response... very helpful. 
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By jakob187

I kind of just breezed through the beginning...but I beat the fuck out of Butch about a gajillion times in the classroom!!!  That was super fun!

Avatar image for deactivated-5aeccee38cdf9
    deactivated-5aeccee38cdf9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

jakob187 said:
    "...and I know that you guys have been waiting for this one, so I hope you enjoy it:
    I love it.

"
    Thank you I agree with you on every point.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.