Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Fallout 3

Game » consists of 45 releases. Released Oct 28, 2008

In Bethesda's first-person revival of the classic post-apocalyptic RPG series, the player is forced to leave Vault 101 and venture out into the irradiated wasteland of Washington D.C. to find his or her father.

The game keeps freezing on PC?!

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By NekuSakuraba

I am trying to play Fallout 3 but it keeps freezing and I have to restart my computer. 

I am not running Xfire and I am using Steam so it is on the latest patch. Graphic drivers also up to date. 

Suggestions?  

Thanks.

TotalEklypse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By TotalEklypse

ok i had this problem. do u happen to have a quad core? also upgrade to MS net framework 4.0

subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By subject2change

Lower graphical settings. 

What are your system specs? Have you tried reinstalling the game? your video card drivers?

Your GPU can just simply be overheating.

Goldanas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Goldanas

Sounds like Fallout 3. 

Whenever you are posting a technical problem with a PC game or software, you should always post your hardware configuration.   

@TotalEklypse said:

" ok i had this problem. do u happen to have a quad core? also upgrade to MS net framework 4.0 "
    These are the common errors, so you should try what he says.
    TotalEklypse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By TotalEklypse

if you are running a quad core then there is a specific edit you do in fallout.ini file to stop it from using 2 of 4 cores. this will clear up the constant freeze problem 

vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By vidiot
    @NekuSakuraba: 
    Run Windows 7? Have a quad-core? Hey- Guess what? 
    How do I put this politely and properly reflect the situation, in a fair and balanced light?

You're fucked.

Okay, okay, perhaps you're not as screwed as you actually are. There are apparently people who claim that after going through a whirl-wind of fixes, everything from editing the game's .ini file, disabling audio drivers, turning V-Sync off completely in your graphics card...Look, I would list all the way's to fix this thing, but there are too many to remember off the-top-of-my-head.

I'm dead serious: The amount of different "fixes" for this game made by people...who are not Bethesda is astounding.
    Also, don't bother with people suggesting to turn down graphical settings. I've tried every setting, had a symptom called "micro-stuttering", used like, four or five fixes to not get rid of it...But to quell it...Like a disease of some-sort. Only minor stuttering...and then it will crash...

...And before you ask, yes, for the thousandth time, I edited the game's .ini file. Both of them.

Gee Vidiot, you're system specs must be horrid! What are they? 

Intel i7 950 quad 3.07Ghz
    GForce GTX 285 1BG
    9 GIGS OF RAM.  (I do video rendering in Maya and After Effects, the extra ram helps.) 

Here's the sad part: I gave up. 

I spent almost a week trying to get this thing running. I tried every fix possible. I paid money for this game on Steam when it went on sale, and now it kinda just sits and takes up space on my harddrive. 
    I am not a game tester. I don't know what strange external conflict is effecting my game, but I do not have time to do something someone else probably should have done or should do. I have uninstalled and reinstalled drivers. I have disabled codecs (Yes, the game has problems with ffdshow...I don't know why) I can't honestly think of something I have not done. I became emotionally exhausted thanks to this, I don't know when I will return to figure out what went wrong.

Fallout 3 is a fantastic game. 
    I S-Ranked it on my 360, I played the game to death. When I saw it go on sale, I thought it would be a fantastic opportunity to check out the fantastic mod community and have a little brain-less thing to play on the side. This game hasn't been updated for current quad computers, and probably is going to stay that way without a lot of patience.

Here's the thread where I tried desperately to figure out what went wrong.
    Here's Bethesda's official forum that's flooded with people complaining about the same problem.

Good luck.
    NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By NekuSakuraba
    @vidiot: I am running Windows XP with a Quad Core Q6600 before I read all that, will it work with those specs?
    NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By NekuSakuraba
    @TotalEklypse said:
    " if you are running a quad core then there is a specific edit you do in fallout.ini file to stop it from using 2 of 4 cores. this will clear up the constant freeze problem  "
    I am using a Q6600 and Windows XP, what do I do?
    HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By HitmanAgent47

what is the videocard? Is it me, or does anyone else thinks it's just the gpu overheating? Turn your overclocking fan to 100% through riva tuner or whatever you use.   

Reading the thread again, if it's a common problem. I don't know then, I don't play fallout 3 like ever.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

#10  Edited By alistercat
    @NekuSakuraba:  I have a Q6600. The thing to do is to open up the fallout.ini and insert the line 'iNumHWThreads=4' under the general section, with the number for the cores you have.
    Read more about it here: http://www.tweakguides.com/Fallout3_10.html
    korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By korwin

Fallout 3 isn't exactly the most stable of games, no matter the platform.  Heck I could never finish the Point Lookout expansion on 360 because I left to unload some loot and the game would hard lock every time I tried to go back.  I also couldnt get back into arlington library cause it would crash my box.  I get this wierd HDR flicker issue on the PC version where the lighting system can never figure out how bright the horizon lighting should be.

Other fun issues include:

Caravan dissapearing apart from a single pack Brahmin.
    2 Doc's and no Junk Dealer.
    Being unable to leave your house in megaton because Dogmeat and Wadsworth block your bedroom door forever.

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#12  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

Are you using any mods?

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By alistercat
    @Korwin:  You can just use the no clip console command to move through them if they block you. That is why I love the PC version, because all versions of Fallout 3 are buggy but with the PC version I can usually do something about it with a console command. Also, everyone should find and install the Fallout 3 unofficial patch from Fallout3Nexus. Fixes a ton of issues with the game.
    NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By NekuSakuraba
    @AlisterCat said:
    " @NekuSakuraba:  I have a Q6600. The thing to do is to open up the fallout.ini and insert the line 'iNumHWThreads=4' under the general section, with the number for the cores you have.
    Read more about it here: http://www.tweakguides.com/Fallout3_10.html "
    Could you give me a step by step guide? I really have no idea what to do. 

Thanks. :)
    Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#15  Edited By Tennmuerti

Fallout 3 is an extremely buggy game.

Interestingly enough this did not affect the glowing reviews, where as game like Alpha Protocol get slammed by low scores for it.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By alistercat
    @NekuSakuraba: Click the link to read the guide. All you have to do is go to Documents > My Games > Fallout3 and there should be a document called Fallout.ini. Open with notepad and past in the line I said underneath the heading 'General'. 
    @Tennmuerti:  There are probbably many reasons, but the main on I can think of is that Fallout 3 is open world. Open world games are pretty much expected to be buggy. I certainly put up with their bugs more than other games, because I know that it's going to happen.
    Avatar image for deactivated-57d3a53d23027
    deactivated-57d3a53d23027

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

@Tennmuerti said:
    "

Fallout 3 is an extremely buggy game.

Interestingly enough this did not affect the glowing reviews, where as game like Alpha Protocol get slammed by low scores for it.

"
    I think Alpha Protocol is owned by the same company... so that must mean they couldn't match the previous level of bribe money when AP came out. 
    ^ That was a joke - not a very funny one though.
    Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#18  Edited By Tennmuerti
    @afrofools:

AP is made by Obsidian published by Sega

Fallout 3 is developer and published by Bethesda

And it's sad that I did not even have to look that up.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By NekuSakuraba
    @AlisterCat said:
    " @NekuSakuraba: Click the link to read the guide. All you have to do is go to Documents > My Games > Fallout3 and there should be a document called Fallout.ini. Open with notepad and past in the line I said underneath the heading 'General'. 
    @Tennmuerti:  There are probbably many reasons, but the main on I can think of is that Fallout 3 is open world. Open world games are pretty much expected to be buggy. I certainly put up with their bugs more than other games, because I know that it's going to happen. "
    Argh, sorry to bump this but it started working a while and I never did this.  

I understand about the   iNumHWThreads=4 under general section but I am lost at the number of cores part. What do I do after I have pasted that under general? Where do I put the number of cores? 
    alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By alistercat
    @NekuSakuraba:  I posted that so long ago... but I think tyhe number of threads is equal to the number of cores in this case. So put the thread number for the cores you have.
    NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By NekuSakuraba
    @AlisterCat said:
    " @NekuSakuraba:  I posted that so long ago... but I think tyhe number of threads is equal to the number of cores in this case. So put the thread number for the cores you have. "
    So what would I put it and where? This is really confusing.
    alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By alistercat
    @NekuSakuraba:  Huh? It's actually pretty simple.  iNumHWThreads=4 is the number of hardware threads (I think) as the name suggests. The number is the number of cores your processor has, so iNumHWThreads=4  would be 4 cores, yes? As for where, re-read the page. It tells you very explicitly.
    NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By NekuSakuraba
    @AlisterCat said:
    " @NekuSakuraba:  Huh? It's actually pretty simple.  iNumHWThreads=4 is the number of hardware threads (I think) as the name suggests. The number is the number of cores your processor has, so iNumHWThreads=4  would be 4 cores, yes? As for where, re-read the page. It tells you very explicitly. "
    Damn, that simple? just paste  iNumHWThreads=4  into the file and it works? it won't mess anything up, will it?
    alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By alistercat
    @NekuSakuraba:  Not permanently. Just try it out. In the worst case scenario it will cause a crash, but if you're using this to stop crashes then nothing bad can really happen. It only does what it says. Remove it if it doesnt help you.
    Hoffafiles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Hoffafiles

I have restarted fallout so many times, I can't even count. 
    It's just second nature now, lol.

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

#26  Edited By Undeadpool
    @NekuSakuraba: I had this same problem. I basically solved it by never tuning into either of the radio stations.
    Junker1500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have a temporary solution to this problem. Right when you get in to the game, save it. even if there was an autosave. and i find that the game will crash faster if there are too many autosaves while you are playing, so after a while, save it again. You will be able to play the game a lot longer than the 30 seconds you have been able to play so far, But after a while, It will freeze again. This worked for me and I'm not sure if it willl work for any of you, but that's what I've got.

Phyrlord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Phyrlord

I had this too, found the solution randomly on the net, make sure the FO3.exe has this checked, never had an issue since.

No Caption Provided

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.