Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Fallout 4

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Nov 10, 2015

The Fallout series continues in a post-apocalyptic Boston, Massachusetts.

Please Stand By - Bethesda to Announce Fallout 4 on June 3rd

dafdiego777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By dafdiego777

http://fallout.bethsoft.com/

It's happening! Kind of surprising that they wouldn't hold this for their press conference. Does it seem this year that we have way more pre-annoucements (in anticipation of leaks?) than usual?

I think Jeff said in a recent Bombcast that he was hoping that they would improve the fighting, especially since VATS was totally overpowered in Fallout 3. Personally, I hope to see something drastic like Mass Effect to Mass Effect 2, but given Bethesda's history with combat (Skyrim was secretly extremely mediocre in that regard) I'm not sure I have high hopes.

Update: Saw someone going through the HTML text. Looks like it references the institute, which I believe is the code name for Fallout 4, as well as post-apocalyptic MIT?. I think the rumors of it taking place in Boston look to be more likely than not at this point.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

While I'm of course excited for a new Bethesda RPG, I really don't get the extreme amount of love for Fallout 3 - especially compared to the Elder Scrolls games. Post-apocalyptic wastelands are so boring and the gunplay in Fallout 3 actually managed to be worse than the combat in Oblivion.

excast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh happy day!

There are so many different games being pushed at E3 that I guess it isn't shocking that Bethesda would want to announce the game ahead of time. Everyone was expecting it anyways and this gives them a couple of weeks of buzz before they probably show something more concrete during their press conference.

viking_funeral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

@bollard: Think about the leap from Oblivion to Skyrim, or even from Morrowind to Oblivion. Heck, from any Elder Scrolls game to the next.

I think people are excited about what kind of leap in gameplay and tech may be found in the next Fallout. I am.

chu52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

brandondryrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bollard said:

While I'm of course excited for a new Bethesda RPG, I really don't get the extreme amount of love for Fallout 3 - especially compared to the Elder Scrolls games. Post-apocalyptic wastelands are so boring and the gunplay in Fallout 3 actually managed to be worse than the combat in Oblivion.

Everyone's taste is different. I enjoyed Fallout 3 more than Skyrim. I just had more fun playing Fallout.

excast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By excast

@bollard said:

Fallout 3 was the game that showed me that RPGs can be more than what I was seeing coming out of Japan with Final Fantasy, Star Ocean, etc. A game about choice, exploration, and doing so in a world that was different than the usual swords and magic fantasy that most RPGs are based around. It certainly had it's share of flaws, as did New Vegas, but the amount of freedom they give you in those games is fairly staggering. I can only imagine what they can accomplish on new hardware.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bollard: A lot of people would say the same about fantasy rpgs of which we have a million already. And this is going to be the next Bethesda rpg to hit the next gen. People are excited to see what they can do.

grtkbrandon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have goosebumps.

altairre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hold the phone, a new Fallout game? No one could have seen this one coming.

Avatar image for deactivated-64bc6edfbd9ee
    deactivated-64bc6edfbd9ee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If they make the same level of improvement from Oblivion to Skyrim, I would check it out. Buuuut Fallout 3 and New Vegas didn't do it for me.

altairre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They need a new engine. Seriously. Not just a slightly prettier version of Skyrim/NV but a complete overhaul. I really liked the writing in NV but from a technical perspective it sucks.

Slang_N_Bang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Slang_N_Bang

It'd be cool if they ripped off some of the newer George Miller ideas.(Specifically the whole color and vibrancy in a post apocalypse wasteland) I'd love to see more colors than grey and green.

etpc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

please be more like new vegas then fallout 3. please be more like new vegas then fallout 3.

erbarad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just show me the next offline TES

balrogsbain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

please don't be a fallout MMO

Avatar image for machofantastico
    MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

User Lists: 4

The Witcher 3 as really put Bethesda developed RPG into perspective for me. I know its unfair to compare say that and Skyrim but the general jank around Bethesda's game is really tough to take whilst I'm more willing to except The Witcher 3's issues. Let's hope its using a brand spanking new engine, instead of that old one.

Basically, they've got a hell of a challenge in a world where The Witcher 3 exists, which for all its problems is easily one of the most captivating RPG's I've personally played. Excited to see Fallout 4 still.

TwoLines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By TwoLines

I loved New Vegas, I HATED Fallout 3. It was bland like nothing else. I don't remember a single gosh darn thing from that game. So, I'm not exactly giddy with anticipation.

EDIT: I just remembered! There was this sequence in black and white and stuff. Yeah, that was OK. If the whole game was filled with these tiny little unique moments, that would be cool. But Bethesda's not that imaginative.

AngryHobo321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fakevox: Unfortunately Obsidian may be too busy with their new IP to work on other company's games, but then again I have no idea how many employees or teams they have.

On the other hand, YAYAYAYA MOAR RADSCORPIONS! RADSCORPIONS EVERYWHERE!

stryker1121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loved Fallout 3, so I'm all about this. The combat takes a backseat to the unprecedented world exploration and joy of discovery Bethesda brings to the table.

rangers517

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

oh god please be this year

YoThatLimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@twolines said:

I loved New Vegas, I HATED Fallout 3. It was bland like nothing else. I don't remember a single gosh darn thing from that game. So, I'm not exactly giddy with anticipation.

Man, we are in totally different boats, I loved Fallout 3 and hated NV. I just found the world and quest line boring in NV. It is possible that the 100+ hours of Fallout 3 may have burned me out a bit.

PatODay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really hope it's based in Boston.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Just give me a damn release date! I don't need to know anything more.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I never played Fallout 3 and after The Witcher 3 I can't imagine I'll want to play another large RPG for a while, but I am very interested to see what this looks like.

armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 17

I loved the atmosphere in FO3. But I think I've finished all my excitement reserves while waiting for the Witcher 3. It'll be a while before I'm that excited for a game again.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#29  Edited By BabyChooChoo

I really enjoyed Fallout 3 and the little I've played of New Vegas, but for some reason, the thought of Fallout 4 does nothing for me. Maybe I'll just have to see it in action or something. Who knows?

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hopefully they show something other than a logo.

Being cross gen cuts a lot of my enthusiasm though.

Avatar image for rhombus_of_terror
    Rhombus_Of_Terror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Please be in a new engine...

nophilip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

Very, very excited for this. I have a hard time understanding why anyone would want this game to be more like New Vegas than Fallout 3, but to each their own.

conmulligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

@bollard said:

Yeah, I'm with you. I appreciate that Fallout's setting is something you don't see very in often in RPGs, but I couldn't be less interested in its particular flavour of post-apocalism. I'll still probably play this — because, y'know, Bethesda — but I'll be thinking of The Elder Scrolls VI the whole time.

Avatar image for colonel_pockets
    Colonel_Pockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 46

FINALLY

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@viking_funeral: You mean how Morrowind is still the best Elder Scrolls game?

I'm sure Fallout 4, 5, 6, 7 etc. will all be perfectly competent, I did only make it halfway through Fallout 3 before losing interest though.

HappyCheeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd love to see a new fallout tactics, but only after they make Fallout 4. Also hoping this isn't an MMO.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fc86d541ecee
    deactivated-5fc86d541ecee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hope they hire some goddamn writers that are actually worth a shit for this. New Vegas was so far ahead of anything Bethesda's done that I have a hard time getting excited for a new BGS-made Fallout.

Pabba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I'm all out 4 Fallout.

cloudymusic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Even though I don't really love the dirty brownness of Fallout's world, I'm still excited to see what sort of advancements Fallout 4 will bring. Hopefully we'll see some pretty significant improvements to their quest design and AI.

Brackstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man, if this thing is actually cross gen like people are thinking, that's really quite disappointing.

Hopefully it's on a new engine, but let's be honest, Bethesda's first time out with a new engine could be even messier than their typical work. At some point, it's not the engine, but the devs.

Aquablak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is there any chance we can get a new Fallout this year? Please?

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

@bollard: Think about the leap from Oblivion to Skyrim, or even from Morrowind to Oblivion. Heck, from any Elder Scrolls game to the next.

I think people are excited about what kind of leap in gameplay and tech may be found in the next Fallout. I am.

That's a good point - I forgot it's the first Bethesda RPG on new platforms. That alone is exciting, looking at what Oblivion achieved.

@bollard said:

Yeah, I'm with you. I appreciate that Fallout's setting is something you don't see very in often in RPGs, but I couldn't be less interested in its particular flavour of post-apocalism. I'll still probably play this — because, y'know, Bethesda — but I'll be thinking of The Elder Scrolls VI the whole time.

Absolutely! And praying that the (inevitable) co-op play they add to it is implemented well enough not to upset the solo play. In fact, I wonder if they will use Fallout 4 as a test-bed for adding co-op play. It would make a lot of sense actually.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

F4llout?

4allout?

Fourout??

teaoverlord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By teaoverlord

Hopefully it's actually New Vegas 2.

supermonkey122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Where are people hearing that this is cross gen?

nickhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

Still pretty surprised this wasn't held for E3, but cool I guess. I enjoyed Fallout 3 and New Vegas, but could never get past the bland environments. I know everything got nuked but that didn't really enhance the experience for me.

Looking forward to what this brings to the table.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#47  Edited By GERALTITUDE

I loved the original two games, loved Fallout 3, liked New Vegas - and well, I'm sorta pumped for this game?

In the grand scheme of things, as much as I really loved Skyrim, it was mechanically another step down from Oblivion which in turn was a reduction of Morrowind.

What terrifies me about Fallout 4 is how many people have clamoring for an even more actiony, no VATS-type game. And that sounds like fucking garbage to me. But this seems to be the way we're going as an industry, in general. Mass Effect 2 all over again.

I always felt like Fallout 3 included VATS because without it there would have been barely anything Fallout about it, and I thought Bethesda felt beholden (as they should) to the lineage. Now that there are 2 post-Fallout Fallout games, I wonder if they feel the same way.

Very curious to see this, but not especially hopeful today.

John1912

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By John1912

Very happy to hear about a new one finally! Hope its out next year at the latest :-/. Skyrim was a HUGE step up for quality all around for Bethesda so should be pretty exciting to see what they make with a new Fallout! Really want to see the next gen graphics for it!

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Wake me up for the Obsidian spin-off. Or at least until Bethesda announces that J.E. Sawyer and Chris Avellone are the leads on the project. Ain't touching that shit if it's 100% Bethesda.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fc86d541ecee
    deactivated-5fc86d541ecee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@geraltitude: Dear god I hope that's not true. If there's one thing Bethesda's not good at it's...well it's writing, but combat is a solid second. They NEED a heavy focus on VATS.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.