Bethesda might be stealth nerfing the game substantially

#1 Edited by Rorie (5406 posts) -

Stumbled across this thread on Reddit and found it pretty interesting. I haven't played FO76 yet but from the looks of things Bethesda is trying to throw in changes that look to be intended to make gameplay slower and/or make it more difficult to get things done quickly:

• Workshops that produce fusion cores have had their rates reduced to one core per hour from 10 cores per hour.

• Workshops that produce ammo have had their production cap reduced from 400 to 200.

• Extractors now produce ore instead of scrap (it takes multiple ore to equal one scrap, so this is a big one), with the exception of lead.

• Fusion cores drain quicker, though the actual percentage difference is not determined yet since it's not on the patch notes.

• Enemy spawns have been altered, drastically. They used to spawn when anybody entered the area, even if other players were already there. It appears that enemies now spawn if and only if no other player is immediately near their spawn point. For me, this is good for some circumstances, but very problematic for farming high-level areas for XP. This has significantly reduced the effectiveness of nuke zones as a means of level-up.

Again, I haven't played the game so I can't speak to the impact of all of these, but more generally it's interesting that Bethesda would be nerfing stuff without thoroughly documenting what they're doing in patch notes. Obviously there's a conspiracy theory (they're stealth nerfing to avoid community blowback when patch notes are released), but it seems more likely that they're just scrambling to fix as much stuff as possible and aren't quite as used to documenting patch notes for an online game as they are for their offline titles (I think ESO is made by another company?).

People who play stuff online have come to expect that each change in a game is detailed in patch notes and get REAL MAD when they aren't. Patch notes for some games can get ridiculously long but from a community perspective it's better to be thorough than to be disorganized like this. It's also just weird that Bethesda would be trying to nerf gameplay in the wake of a launch that could fairly be described as disastrous for them. Obviously what's good for gameplay is good regardless of timing but it's just weird timing all around.

Staff
#2 Posted by musclerider (870 posts) -

It's just interesting to see them make changes that intentionally make the grind worse. Every crafting game has some level of grind but generally over time as content gets added the grind is made easier to accommodate for the additional stuff that comes out. Maybe they just realized that at this point it's just too easy to make everything that they had to stretch the seemingly sparse content out even further.

Bethesda's reputation already took a pretty hard hit with the Fallout fans with Fallout 4 and they're just absolutely tanking it even further by doing everything in their power to make it worse.

#3 Posted by Undeadpool (6762 posts) -

Not to be the ultra-cynic, but they could be ramping up the grind to try and squeeze the users they DO have for more premium currency. They honestly seemed to have gotten something of an ego after hitting it out of the park time and again (regardless of how anyone feels about the games: Oblivion, Fallout 3/NV, Skyrim and even Fallout 4, to say nothing of Elder Scrolls Online, after its shaky start, have been runaway successes or at LEAST cult-classics with dedicated core fanbases) and it almost seems like they're operating on this "we got their money already" mentality.

Turning the screws on the people who got into your game because not enough people got in seems like the epitome of short-sighted gains over longterm viability, but I'm not a fly on the wall. Maybe there's something else going on that I'm just not seeing.

#4 Posted by someoneproud (379 posts) -

Wow, GG Bethesda. That should win all those pissed off customers over. Looking forward to seeing how many "core-fans" buy their next product after this continual disaster.

#5 Posted by Acura_Max (727 posts) -

It's sad to see how Bethesda have fallen. They used to be the leader in open world games.

#6 Posted by Efesell (4083 posts) -

Wow, GG Bethesda. That should win all those pissed off customers over. Looking forward to seeing how many "core-fans" buy their next product after this continual disaster.

I suspect that it will still...be most of them.

Literally all they'll need to do is stress that oh no no no this game? This is the real one that you all like.

#7 Posted by Acura_Max (727 posts) -

@efesell said:
@someoneproud said:

Literally all they'll need to do is stress that oh no no no this game? This is the real one that you all like.

Pretty much this. They only have to call their next Fallout game, Fallout 5.

#9 Posted by 2HeadedNinja (2293 posts) -

There is currently no way I am aware of to use the paid currency to get any gameplay relevant benefits. It's only cosmetics. In fact, some of the soundbites Jeff gave about the game regarding the currency on some occasions are plain wrong :) ... And yes: While this game is kind of a mess, I am still one of those that enjoy it for now :)

Not to be the ultra-cynic, but they could be ramping up the grind to try and squeeze the users they DO have for more premium currency.

#10 Posted by Hype (1 posts) -

The whole "games as a service" trend in the AAA space lately has lead to these games that are not designed to be played through and put aside but instead they try to get the player addicted and invested and spending money on microtransactions or additional content packs. Bungie has been doing the same thing with Destiny 2 with the recent expansions where a lot of the best content in the game is gated behind dozens of hours of grinding daily and weekly activities for gear progression. I think what sets these games apart from other successful "games as a service" is the lack of horizontal progression systems that we see in games like World of Warcraft, where the player has a lot more variety of goals and activities that aren't strictly tied to power progression. WoW has battle pets and professions and toys and mounts and tons of other things for the player to collect, and just as many different activities for players to engage with in pursuit of those goals.

Meanwhile, games like Fallout 76 and Destiny 2 are designed to keep the player invested and engaged for weeks or months between content drops but without adding any interesting goals or activities for players aside from leveling up and acquiring stronger gear. The result is that the games can feel repetitive, unrewarding, and downright disrespectful of the player's time.

#11 Posted by SoD (44 posts) -

Yeah, still nothing you can use Atoms on but cosmetics. I mean, maybe the camo patters could be advantageous? I have certainly nearly shot some people wearing them thinking they were super mutants as I turned to catch them. Thankfully pacifist mode prevents that becoming an issue. Even if you blended in well you can still be targeted in VATS (it certain feels like it gravitates to players before mobs when you use it) but you can get chameleon gear if stealth is mega important to you. Then you just have the tell-tale shimmer.

#12 Posted by someoneproud (379 posts) -
@efesell said:
@someoneproud said:

Pretty much this. They only have to call their next Fallout game, Fallout 5.

May well be right but this can't last forever, even core Bethesda fans have their limits... probably... Especially after them now leaking a bunch of personal data, the competition for hottest mess is heating up, Bethesda bringing their fuck up A-Game.

#13 Posted by Humanity (18267 posts) -

@someoneproud: People still play Skyrim to this day. At this point I’m pretty sure they can get away with anything - the community will begrudgingly mop up after them with mods and keep going.

#14 Posted by someoneproud (379 posts) -

@humanity: Haha, we'll see... nothing lasts forever and continuing to play an older classic title (probably their best) isn't the same as buying into whatever their next potential scam is after all this mess imo.

#15 Posted by UTDevilDog (12 posts) -

I’ve logged about 60 hours so far in this game and generally enjoy it. The production rate cuts listed don’t really impact me too much. There are tons of ways to find scrap and ammo in this game - these won’t really bother me much. The power cores are more rare, but I can’t say I’ve had much trouble finding enough to keep my power armor going. Although admittedly, I don’t wear it all the time, just when I think I’ll need some extra oomph on a mission or exploration run.

The enemy spawn this is kind of a double edged sword. I totally get the farming aspect being impacted but at the same time, I hate when I clear an area out of enemies, then go back to read lore stuff in computers or notes, etc and then someone else comes near the area and all those enemies respawn and start attacking me as I’m “off screen”.

It’ll be interesting to see where this game goes over the coming months.

#16 Edited by pweidman (2820 posts) -

I've put in at least 50 hrs. already in 76, and I haven't noticed any of these "nerfs". But if they're real they may be related to Bethesda's publicly stated concerns with the game's stability after making the stash 50% bigger in the most recent patch. Lower numbers means less strain on the engine that keeps track of all the items perhaps. As for the respawns, they can be annoying agreed, but all that xp too. It's about the nuking at the golf course, and the rediculous associated xp probably if true. Oh, and the transaction stuff is super tame and purely cosmetic, and you constantly earn atoms in-game anyway.

#17 Edited by SoD (44 posts) -

Yeah, it seems if people aren't nuking the golf course the only other place they nuke is the prime fissure site. Honestly, they could just adjust the spawns at Whitespring if that was the biggest problem. Though that place gets pretty damn intense. I'm not in high end power-armor or using legendaries (though my double-double-barrel is kind of hilarious) but ghouls basically pour out of that place like the blood from the elevator in The Shining without a nuke present, afterward it's a nightmare.

Maybe the post-50 damage knock and XP drop on high level monsters is to kind of make power-levelling people harder? Then again, they could've just penalized based on level differentials on the player being power levelled if that was all they wanted. Not that Bethesda seems to make a lot of decisions with a lot of logic in this game, however.

The item-duplication is what the biggest issue is, it's putting ridiculously powerful weapons in the hands of tons of people for cheap, it's ruined the market on them when you can just make another.

E: They updated the patch notes just now to reveal some of the other changes made that were not surfaced such as Robobrains having the wrong loot table and adding bulk repair resources to all vendors and having the scorchbeast queen's DR lowered by 20% etc)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.