Follow

Fallout: New Vegas

Game » consists of 25 releases. Released Oct 19, 2010

The post-apocalyptic Fallout universe expands into Nevada in this new title in the franchise. As a courier once left for dead by a mysterious man in a striped suit, the player must now set out to find their assailant and uncover the secrets of the enigmatic ruler of New Vegas.

Best idea for Fallout 4, or DLC, Evah!

Mrnitropb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

Edited By Mrnitropb

Fallout.... set in Australia! 
    Think about it. Completely new avenues of lore to explore, completely new wastelands to scrounge. I mean as much as the series has "homaged" to Mad Max, might as well take it full circle and set on there.  Drive nuclear powered Rovers across the wastes, fight along side power-armored ASAS troops, loot jars of Vegemite off of corpses to regain HP, find Quigly's rifle as a Unique. 
    Shit, think of all the creatures right now living in the land down under that can kill you. Now imagine gigantic, radioactive pants-shittingly scary versions of them. Radioactive drop bears, gator-lurks, beasts that look like Cthulu fucked a pit viper, giant two-headed baby-stealing dingos, thylacine's that can swallow you whole!
    It's not like the aussie government's track record couldn't be satired equally like the US's is in the current fallout series, or have their own vault's run by the AU branch of Vault Tech. 

What do you guys think? Crazy fever dream, or awesome sauce?    

Mrnitropb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Mrnitropb

Fallout.... set in Australia! 
    Think about it. Completely new avenues of lore to explore, completely new wastelands to scrounge. I mean as much as the series has "homaged" to Mad Max, might as well take it full circle and set on there.  Drive nuclear powered Rovers across the wastes, fight along side power-armored ASAS troops, loot jars of Vegemite off of corpses to regain HP, find Quigly's rifle as a Unique. 
    Shit, think of all the creatures right now living in the land down under that can kill you. Now imagine gigantic, radioactive pants-shittingly scary versions of them. Radioactive drop bears, gator-lurks, beasts that look like Cthulu fucked a pit viper, giant two-headed baby-stealing dingos, thylacine's that can swallow you whole!
    It's not like the aussie government's track record couldn't be satired equally like the US's is in the current fallout series, or have their own vault's run by the AU branch of Vault Tech. 

What do you guys think? Crazy fever dream, or awesome sauce?    

Skullo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Skullo

Awesome

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By McGhee
    @Mrnitropb:
    This is a great idea. Ever since Fallout 3 I've wanted Bethesda to stretch the map waaay out, like five times the Fallout 3 size and add in vehicles. The Road Warrior is one of my all time favorite movies, and Fallout in Australia would be fucking cool.
    HypoXenophobia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By HypoXenophobia

If you had brought this idea up before Assassin's Creed 2, I would have told you "American's don't like anything outside of America" citing GTA as an example. But in a post AC2 world, it's anyone's game.

Mrnitropb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Mrnitropb

Question, who is the Aussie equivalent of Ron Perlman?

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 38

#6  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

As much as I love Mad Max and Fallout, I don't want to see their boundaries cross any further than has already been done.  I'd like to see the next Fallout set in the New England states, with New York and its suburbs being the biggest draw.  One of the most intriguing elements of Fallout 3 was the light talk of the consortium from that area, and I'd like to see that fleshed out.  There's also a lot of talk about Wyoming, Utah, and Montana in New Vegas, which I think would be a pretty awesome area to explore too.  What would a post-apocalyptic Yellowstone Park look like?

ReyGitano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

#7  Edited By ReyGitano

It would be strange. I mean, since it's a different country, the only thing that would carry over from past games is that it's set after the nukes went off. Other than that, no brotherhood, no NCR, nothing Fallout.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

Although Fallout has taken influence from Mad Max I feel like setting it in Australia is a little on the nose. The setting of America is also a big part of what makes up the Fallout narrative and I wouldn't want them to move the series outside of America without knowing that they felt they could really pull off their new location as well as they have the U.S. settings of previous Fallout games.

Mrnitropb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Mrnitropb
    @SlashseveN303 said:
    " It would be strange. I mean, since it's a different country, the only thing that would carry over from past games is that it's set after the nukes went off. Other than that, no brotherhood, no NCR, nothing Fallout. "
    And I would prefer that to the hard-reboot that is almost assuredly not far down the line for the series. 
    FreakAche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#10  Edited By FreakAche

I always thought that they should do one set in China. I always thought it was interesting that the "culture" of post-apocalyptic ruins of America is based largely on propaganda appropriate to the 1950's era. Seeing a culture based on communist propaganda of the 50's would probably be an interesting take on that universe.

ReyGitano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ReyGitano
    @Mrnitropb: I'd prefer it to a hard reboot as well... but I think there are other places in the fiction to see, like China. Also i just don't see a hard-reboot coming. Fallout 3 would have been the time to do so, not know when the franchise has been revived and is selling so well.
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ryanwho

I get that people who live wherever the hell they live would want a Fallout to take place there. I think Beth should just expand the IP to the point where they've got an Australian dev building on the foundation laid and making a Fallout set in Australia. Because if it wasn't being done by locals who actually know their shit, its just a whole game of mutant crocs, a talking kangaroo, a character based on croc hunter and "that's not a knife" jokes. Once a brand gets big enough, you're suddenly allowed to make it other genres of game. If Halo Reach came out after Halo 1 people would have been pissed, the brand has to grow enough first. Then you can basically get anyone in on the IP. Fallout Japan the SRPG, Fallout Russia the weird adventure game, Fallout Greenland where Greenland is some new utopia and vikings and shit are fighting over it. And so on. But I don't think Fallout the brand is big enough for that now. At the moment "Fallout" has to be a shooter RPG set in America or fans will bitch about it.

yoctoyotta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13  Edited By yoctoyotta
    @Sparky_Buzzsaw said:
    "

As much as I love Mad Max and Fallout, I don't want to see their boundaries cross any further than has already been done.  I'd like to see the next Fallout set in the New England states, with New York and its suburbs being the biggest draw.  One of the most intriguing elements of Fallout 3 was the light talk of the consortium from that area, and I'd like to see that fleshed out.  There's also a lot of talk about Wyoming, Utah, and Montana in New Vegas, which I think would be a pretty awesome area to explore too.  What would a post-apocalyptic Yellowstone Park look like?

"
    Yes to this. These are the two major locations I've wanted the series to go to since playing Fallout 3 when it was released. Bethesda can stick to their Eastern seaboard story arc and Obisidian can continue to fill in their long heritage out in the West.

That said, I would welcome a Fallout game set anywhere, and Australia would certainly be cool. I actually just watched a four part documentary on Australia called The Making of Modern Australia (check eztv.it, search for Australia) about a month ago and was pretty fascinated by their history.
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By ryanwho
    @SlashseveN303 said:
    " It would be strange. I mean, since it's a different country, the only thing that would carry over from past games is that it's set after the nukes went off. Other than that, no brotherhood, no NCR, nothing Fallout. "
    Um no. Australia had the 2nd gold rush and was founded as a penal colony for convicts. So you've got convicts, weird animals, and the old west motif can be applied. You don't seem to get what makes a game Fallout if you're bitching about individual factions.
    ReyGitano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ReyGitano
    @ryanwho: If all you have is convicts, weird animals, and the old west motif, congratulations, these are all themes of Fallout, but what I'm saying is it wouldn't have to be a Fallout game at that point; you can be any game set after a nuclear war. Actually with those themes you could be a fantasy survival game set in the old west.
    Mrnitropb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Mrnitropb
    @SlashseveN303 said:
    " @ryanwho: If all you have is convicts, weird animals, and the old west motif, congratulations, these are all themes of Fallout, but what I'm saying is it wouldn't have to be a Fallout game at that point; you can be any game set after a nuclear war. Actually with those themes you could be a fantasy survival game set in the old west. "
    That would sound more like a Far Cry 3.  
    Which reminds me, Fallout needs horrific bone snapping animations for healing in Hardcore mode. 
    shorap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By shorap
    @Sparky_Buzzsaw said:
    "

"

Giant, mutated Jackalopes would be terrifying but I'm not sure if the WY, UT, MT region would be all that different a feel from Fallout 1,2, BoS, and Vegas.  Aside from the mountains a lot the area is desert-like similar to Nevada.  Though that would be cool to see my home state (WY) realized in a Fallout game.  Seeing the developer take a shot at depicting my rez post-apocalypse would be awesome too with VO work by Wes Studi, Graham Greene, Adam Beach, etc.  No "Indian in the Cupboard" Lightfoot though, guy's a douche.
    jorbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#18  Edited By jorbear

I've really been thinking about some DLC where you go to New Canaan, which is essentially Salt Lake City. This is mostly because I live in Utah, and it would be extremely interesting to see the Mormons in a post-apocalyptic setting.

ReyGitano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By ReyGitano
    @Mrnitropb: I would reload every time my arm was injured just to avoid hearing that noise. It's so heart crushing.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5a46aa62043d1
    deactivated-5a46aa62043d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

On one hand, I would really like to see Fallout games take place in other parts of the world. I was always partial to Africa. Imagine crazy mutated lions and elephants and shit. But on the other hand, I feel like a huge part of Fallout's identity and personality comes from the weird Americana on display in the games. 

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By MikkaQ

An awesome awesome fever dream. Don't ever see it happening, but if it did, goddamn would that be a hell of an awesome Fallout game. 

DXmagma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#22  Edited By DXmagma

so...borderlands?

Icadae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Icadae

No Caption Provided

On a serious note, I'd love to see a Fallout'esque STALKER. Or STALKER with Fallout RPG elements, while keeping its shooting mechanics. To be honst, I'd just love to see more of Russia, and not as the ambivilent badguys.
    sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 38

#24  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw
    @YoctoYotta:
    Hah, good point.  If they made a Fallout: Antarctica Hegemony, I'd snatch it up on day one.  So yeah, I'm changing my previous opinion.  Fallout anywhere is just fine by me.
    McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By McGhee
    @Soapy86:
    If you put the ruins of a zoo in a Fallout game you could then build the story that some of the animals escaped and began breeding and mutating in the wild. So you could have mutated elephants or lions in American. That would be awesome.
    Kyreo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#26  Edited By Kyreo

Sounds like awesome sauce to me!

Mrnitropb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Mrnitropb
    @McGhee_the_Insomniac said:
    " @Soapy86: If you put the ruins of a zoo in a Fallout game you could then build the story that some of the animals escaped and began breeding and mutating in the wild. So you could have mutated elephants or lions in American. That would be awesome. "
    Was the National zoo not in fallout 3? I can't remember.
    Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Jack268

If you got the bear grylls special edition of New Vegas (Only 100 were printed and left in boxes in various forests around the world), you'd already have a voucher for the aussie DLC.

DoctorTran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#29  Edited By DoctorTran
    @Mrnitropb
    Question, who is the Aussie equivalent of Ron Perlman?
    You'd hire Choppah Fuckin' Reed.
    FritzDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By FritzDude

I think Randy Pitchford would be proud of you.

RaceKickfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By RaceKickfist

A quigley unique would rule so hard. you'd need some sick, sick draw distance in the engine though. I don't know if the current one could handle it. Also, I propose Orlando as a fallout environment. Even though it would be *impossible* for obvious licensing reasons, seeing disneyworld and all 9,001 attractions being overtaken by a resurging swamp forest would be so awesome. Plus it'd be a fresh departure from "desert"-type locales. 

connelo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By connelo
    @Soapy86 said:
    " On one hand, I would really like to see Fallout games take place in other parts of the world. I was always partial to Africa. Imagine crazy mutated lions and elephants and shit. But on the other hand, I feel like a huge part of Fallout's identity and personality comes from the weird Americana on display in the games.  "

I want post-apocalyptic Scotland....it would look nearly the same. But i would like to see a different place/country/what have you for the next fallout too. However i do agree with this quote.
    McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By McGhee
    @Mrnitropb:
    I was pretty sure I'd seen every location in Fallout 3 and I don't remember ever seeing a zoo, and Google seems to confirm it.
    bwmcmaste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By bwmcmaste
    @SlashseveN303 said:

" @ryanwho:, these are all themes of Fallout, but what I'm saying is it wouldn't have to be a Fallout game at that point; you can be any game set after a nuclear war.  

I would disagree. The point of the matter is that the game would be set in the Fallout "universe", not that it would necessarily be a completely different concept. Think of something like the Command & Conquer: Red Alert series: they were able to completely change the game (units, setting, and story) without completely forsaking the "canon".  

You can do anything with a franchise, but I don't think that it means that you should do everything with it. Modern gaming has too many derivative titles as it is, and it's time for a few new -and perhaps more palatable- ideas.
    Mrnitropb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Mrnitropb
    @McGhee_the_Insomniac said:
    " @Mrnitropb: I was pretty sure I'd seen every location in Fallout 3 and I don't remember ever seeing a zoo, and Google seems to confirm it. "
    Huh. Could have sworn.
    one_2nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By one_2nd

i think they'll continue using the us because if they dont they would have to make all new factions and shit.. 

Mars_Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#37  Edited By Mars_Cleric

I love it 
    must have: 
    Ned Kelly armour 
    slouch hats 
    giant kangaroos, platapus, etc 
    Mrnitropb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Mrnitropb
    @Mars_Cleric said:
    " I love it must have: Ned Kelly armour slouch hats giant kangaroos, platapus, etc  "
    Oh hell I forgot all about Ned Kelly. Heck, that would be a faction of Power armor troops/rebels!
    Mars_Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#39  Edited By Mars_Cleric
    @Mrnitropb said:
    "Oh hell I forgot all about Ned Kelly. Heck, that would be a faction of Power armor troops/rebels! "

you'd just have to shoot them in the legs 

@Mrnitropb
    said:

"Question, who is the Aussie equivalent of Ron Perlman? "

I would have said Bud Tingwell, but since he died maybe Jack Thompson or Michael Caton 
    FuzzYLemoN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By FuzzYLemoN

Was Australia ever even nuked in the Fallout fiction? I thought the war was between the US and China.

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#41  Edited By FancySoapsMan
    @ryanwho:  the Fallout games are styled after the AMERICAN 1950's. I don't know much about Australia, but I don't think it's a good setting for a Fallout game.
    SammydesinasNL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By SammydesinasNL

Radangaroos?
    Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#43  Edited By Vinny_Says

why would China nuke and already baron wasteland? Isn't Australia already 80% desert?

A cooler thing would be to navigate the ruined skyscrapers of Manhattan and the surrounding areas. If fallout 4 uses a new engine, might as well make the most of it. Have a bunch of shit on-screen....

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.