Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Fallout: New Vegas

Game » consists of 25 releases. Released Oct 19, 2010

The post-apocalyptic Fallout universe expands into Nevada in this new title in the franchise. As a courier once left for dead by a mysterious man in a striped suit, the player must now set out to find their assailant and uncover the secrets of the enigmatic ruler of New Vegas.

Can someone please help me get into this game..

BurBan_Snake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

So i bought this game on steam the other day when it was $5, and i expected to be pleased with my purchase. This is actually my second platform of this game that i currently own, with an untouched copy on my 360 that i just never got around to dealing with. I figured for $5, it was worth the pick up, because I Loved modding the fuck out of Skyrim, so i figured i could do the same here.

Im a big fan of Gophersvids on youtube, and many of you modders out there probably know who Gopher is if you're a fan of the nexus. I've installed all his favorite, most recommended mods, and yet somehow..

I just can't get into this game. Everything feels to clunky, and out of place. I feel like my computer is struggling to run it, (even though I can easily run skyrim on ultra at 50+ frames ((MODDED))) - It doesn't really even feel like a framerate issue, as much as just the game just looks sloppy, and makes me feel like im running it on some subpar settings on a subpar machine.

Anyway, I loved fallout 3 on my Ps3, but that was years ago.. is there anything in this game that is actually going to make me get "hooked" again? Even with the mods, it just seems like nothing is really working.

Its worth noting that im only about an hour in, but thats just simply because I got through the first few quests, and combat sequences and was just so brutally disappointed.

In FO3 i loved VATS, but I was also probably about 16 at the time, so all the gore and blood shooting around in slow motion was.. COOL BRO!

Now VATS just feels like a lazy system, and i've begun using the bullet time function packed into one of my mods. (And the functionality of that particular feature once again feels sub par)

Theres something about shooting dudes in the face from 1 ft away and not killing them that just makes me want to rage quit every time I die.

Anyway, like I said, is there something, a particular ah-ha moment I'll have with this game if I just grind through the first few hours? or is this just par for the course? I really want to love this game, but right now - it just feels and looks so clunky that I dont know if i can do it without seeing light at the end of the tunnel.

Thanks duders, You're the best.

Also: DOTA 2.

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By monetarydread

If you are not hooked already, then you are out of luck. Think of New Vegas as very well done Fallout 3 mod. Skyrim was built on a mostly new graphics engine, so the graphics in New Vegas are not going to be as good looking as Bethesdas newest effort. Plus, since the game was made by Obsidian, the world you explore is not as polished as the Fallout 3 world; not that the game is worse, but Obsidian is known for being forced to release a game before it is finished. This early release means that there are a lot of cool concepts that might not be implemented as well as in a heavily streamlined game like Skyrim.

I thought that there was a lot to enjoy in New Vegas, but I grew up playing RPG's on my 486, so I prefer a numbers heavy game play system, and I enjoy that VATS turned the game into a semi-turn based affair. There are mods on the Nexus that remove the dice rolls from gunplay though. THe problem with those mods is that the engine is not designed for real-time gunplay, so the game will not feel like Call of Duty or anything; if you are a foot away from some dudes face and fire you will hit him though. If you do not want to risk installing another mod, just put everything you have into your guns. Once they reach 90+, the bullet hits if it would in real life.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I picked this up during one of the more recent Steam sales and I am enjoying it well enough. I'm barely into it having just past Primm and heading south to Nipton. I modded my game up pretty good like my Skyrim, Oblivion and F3. It's what I love about Bethesda games (or in this case Bethesda published games). I don't know if it feels clunky like you say, but the aiming is questionable even with the proper iron sights mods installed. Are you using any ENB presets? That can improve the look. So far I am enjoying it because I haven't played Fallout 3 in a really long time. FNV is fun enough, but it's no Skyrim. Of course, I am not asking it to be that either. Just some mindless entertainment for a few hours on the weekend.

BurBan_Snake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By BurBan_Snake

@penguindust Not using an ENB, just using the Imaginator set, it makes a big difference, but something about the total garbage in the distance just kills the look for me.

YOU_DIED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It sounds like you want to play a shooter and not an RPG

gike987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By gike987

New Vegas is very much a classic RPG even though it's first-person and you use guns. Maybe you should just set the difficulty to the easiest setting and you will probably be able to play more like a shooter, it's not really made to be played that way though so you still probably won't find it very fun.

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you dont like it, don't force yourself to play it.

Simple as that, shit....

Sanryd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

I'm in the same boat as you, except I managed to get 4-5 hours in. I ran Fallout 3 into the ground, grabbing all achievement points on my 360 back when it came out, but I can't get into New Vegas the same way. I think it has to do with the world.. I prefer Fallout 3's setting by a wide-margin. I'm a very visual person and something about this game is killing it for me. That said, my tastes have changed since I played F3, much like you stated. It comes down to a mixture of things, I'm thinking.

AURON570

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By AURON570

Drink some alcohol, then play the game.

But in all seriousness, I duno what else to say. I feel like the only way someone else can help you "get into" a game is by playing it with you, or showing you stuff you can do. Otherwise it's up to you. I've been trying for years to "get into" fighting games, but just have no one to play with in real life on a regular basis.I like to think I'm half-decent at SF4, but I'm never really motivated to play.

Deadlydog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#12  Edited By Justin258

You can't make yourself enjoy a game, no matter how much you try. Fallout New Vegas is a better written game than Fallout 3, and even kinda has better combat, but the world sometimes feels barren in comparison. You were practically stumbling over stuff in Fallout 3. Here, you aren't really. There are still a ton of things to do in things to do in this game.

Maybe you aren't in the mood for it. Why didn't you ever open your 360 copy if you loved FO3 so much?

gogosox82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kinda sounds like you don't like the fallout series anymore honestly. Which is fine, but I think that New Vegas is so much better than FO3 (if you can get past the bugs) that its not even funny. It plays more like an rpg than a shooter so if you don't like rpgs, then that could also explain why you don't like it. I would say drop it if your not into it. You don't have to like every game.

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

It's okay if you don't like it.

You spent $5 on it, it won't kill you to quit it and find something else to play.

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By McGhee

When I play Skyrim I miss VATS.

fox01313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

VATs is still good & they improved a lot of the gmaeplay & companions in New Vegas. Maybe if you stop focusing on any technical comparisons to how Skyrim is & just dive in. The story is a lot better than Fallout 3 & I thought New Vegas was quite entertaining and well worth it over Fallout 3.

phampire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I assume you have installed project nevada? I didn't like the bullet time feature either. The main appeal of new vegas is that it's a refined Fallout 3 and the characters, quests, setting and the writing should be the main draw. If you don't like it then it's totally ok don't try and force yourself through the experience.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Zeik

I went into New Vegas with relatively low expectations after Fallout 3 and ended up enjoying it a whole lot more. I suggest at least getting to New Vegas itself before you make up your mind about the game, since that's where the meat of the game opens up.

I also suggest playing it on Hardcore, possibly with mods to make it even more survivor-y. Combat is not something that Fallout excels at, so the game is a lot better if you find ways to flesh out the experience elsewhere and keep the combat at a reasonable setting so it doesn't feel like it gets in the way. (If you can find any mods that actually make VATS strategically useful I bet it would help a lot.)

wmoyer83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 6

#19  Edited By wmoyer83

I had the same issue. I played New Vegas for a few hours, and just kind of stopped playing. I picked it up again, and I can not put it down. I guess there were two reasons that changed my opinion on New Vegas. After you get deeper into the plot it becomes very interesting (in my opinion) and secondly I lived in Vegas for a while, so it was interesting to see what happened to my old town.

I would give it a second chance. I did, and I do not regret it. Its a good game.

*also the story and some characters are linked to the first two fallout games.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

I think that New Vegas is vastly superior to Fallout 3 in a lot of ways (the writing, most obviously), but if it isn't doing anything for you then I'm not going to tell you otherwise.

lead_farmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

But......sexbot.

Max_Cherry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Don't compare it to Skyrim. Enjoy it for what it is... More (buggier) Fallout 3.

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I sort of feel the same way. I am just thoroughly confused after playing for a while. There's all these books and plates and shit to pick up but you can't read the books as far as I know, not that I would want to, and then there's tons of different ammo and guns and I don't know which are even better or what and I found some clothes???

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

drink a lot of beer and fall asleep to the music. That soundtrack is pretty good.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@49th: I assume this is your first Bethesda open world RPG? Rule of thumb, most stuff you can pick up is junk, don't pick it up just because you can.

Slaegar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Slaegar

Give Project Nevada a shot if you haven't

http://newvegas.nexusmods.com/mods/40040/?

adds a lot of modern shooter mechanics to a game that feels really dated without.

http://newvegas.nexusmods.com/mods/35262/?

May help with performance issues as well.

http://newvegas.nexusmods.com/mods/34832/?

This mod claims to reduce stutter, but I've never used it so be warned.

http://newvegas.nexusmods.com/mods/34888//?

I also enjoyed this mod, Fellout, which gets rid of the orange tint in game.

Sorry if I listed a bunch of mods you already tried.

If you don't like it you don't have to like it. New Vegas felt rail roaded until you get to New Vegas proper (the town I mean).

You may want to try playing it while listening to a podcast while playing as the game can get a bit tedious while you just run from town to town.

I ended up enjoying New Vegas, but I could think I preferred Fallout 3's world.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@slaegar said:

You may want to try playing it while listening to a podcast while playing as the game can get a bit tedious while you just run from town to town.

Which is why you listen to the in-game radio! Which btw, is probably the number 1 mod I recommend for Fallout, the one that increases the amount of available music.

coakroach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By coakroach

Max out Intelligence, Luck and Charisma, let minions handle the combat and enjoy the dialogue and story.

kerse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

@zeik said:

@slaegar said:

Which is why you listen to the in-game radio! Which btw, is probably the number 1 mod I recommend for Fallout, the one that increases the amount of available music.

Someone also had a mod that was the Jeff and Dave radio show podcasts as a radio station, which was pretty awesome, not sure how to even get it anymore though.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.