Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Fallout: New Vegas

Game » consists of 25 releases. Released Oct 19, 2010

The post-apocalyptic Fallout universe expands into Nevada in this new title in the franchise. As a courier once left for dead by a mysterious man in a striped suit, the player must now set out to find their assailant and uncover the secrets of the enigmatic ruler of New Vegas.

Fallout 3 a must play?

xForceCh0keYou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By xForceCh0keYou

Now, I have heard that Fallout 3 is really a great game, and I should really play it, and I plan on it...but do I NEED to play it to understand or enjoy this one more?

jayjonesjunior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By jayjonesjunior

only if you want to know the meaning of life and the mysteries of the universe.

Flooko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Flooko

nope you wouldn't have to play fallout 3 first because this one is on the west coast not the east so there isnt rlly going to be any charactors or story lines from fallout 3 in New Vagas however there will be some stuff from fallout 2 but i don't think you'll get a lot more out of it by playing fallout 2

Avatar image for deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335
    deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@jayjonesjunior said:
    " only if you want to know the meaning of life and the mysteries of the universe. "
    I like you.
    MistaSparkle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#5  Edited By MistaSparkle
    @xForceCh0keYou: Actually, I think playing through Fallout 1 and 2 will help significantly more than Fallout 3 in terms of understanding references and the like. But as for getting acquainted with the game play Fallout 3, obviously takes the cake. However, you will still understand 90% of the things happening in New Vegas without playing ANY of the previous titles. Don't worry. It will all be explained. :)
    one_2nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By one_2nd
    @jayjonesjunior said:
    " only if you want to know the meaning of life and the mysteries of the universe. "
    this. 
    mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By mikemcn

Fallout 3 is fantastic and theres a game of the year version out, play it, New Vegas may or may not be so fantastic., but you won't need 3 to understand it.

oobs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By oobs

totally 2 seperate games..though vegas seems to have more in common with fallout 1 and 2. though i never played those..but fallout 3 is great..cheap also
    sociald1077

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By sociald1077

Man I loved FO1&2. I am way more psyched about this game than I was FO3. NCR here I come!!!

huntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

#10  Edited By huntad

Absolutely not. Fallout New Vegas is going to stand on it's own. Do not play through them before New Vegas. It would only be a waste of time, and Fallout games are fairly long if you plan on getting all there is out of it.  

Just play New Vegas.

Shakezula84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By Shakezula84
    @xForceCh0keYou I'd say no to having to play Fallout 3 first. I find all three Fallout games are great but also stand on there own really well. When Fallout 3 was developed they placed it on the east coast to avoid requiring previous Fallout experience. Fallout New Vegas is however has a lot of the elements of the original unreleased (and unfinished) Fallout 3 (called Van Buren on the Internet on it's project codename). I hope both these games stand apart enough that if you choose to play for story you can return to Fallout 3. That's kinda what I'm doing since I'm only a fraction through FO3.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.