Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Fallout: New Vegas

Game » consists of 25 releases. Released Oct 19, 2010

The post-apocalyptic Fallout universe expands into Nevada in this new title in the franchise. As a courier once left for dead by a mysterious man in a striped suit, the player must now set out to find their assailant and uncover the secrets of the enigmatic ruler of New Vegas.

Fallout: New Vegas - finished

krummi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Edited By krummi

Got through the game and the add-ons yeaterday and have quite mixed feelings about the game.

The major thing on my mind sadly is the bugs and crashes experienced while playing. When thinking of other games I've gone through I do remember the rare lockup but New Vegas blew everything away. I can't think of a day when it didnt crash. First game that ate save games as well, four times in total I think.

The story rolled along well enough compared to Fallout 3, but I think first two games were more entertaining to play. I have to admit that I might have destroyed my will to play by getting on the bad side of Legion so early that the assasination squads were unbelievably hard and nearly one shotted my character in combat for quite a long time and this killed exploration alltogether (and why the hell do they see you mile away when you are sneaking?!). Then again combat was carbage in my opinion anyways - impossible to hit anything further than 5 metres without V.A.T.S. if the target was moving.

Companions were as interesting as porridge. Cass was the only one who I could be arsed to bring along for other than quest purposes. The best characters in the game were sadly in a DLC, Old World Blues' AIs were well enough written so I didnt tend to skip the conversations. And as for locations Honest Hearts was the most fun place to wander around. These two DLCs were the ones where I enjoyed the game easily the most.

Despite now I think mostly of the game with negatives I do intend to go through it again as I now know the mistakes I made which robbed the fun - and theres no need to play some way or the other to get achievements. And maybe just to see if the game really is as buggy as it seems.

krummi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By krummi

Got through the game and the add-ons yeaterday and have quite mixed feelings about the game.

The major thing on my mind sadly is the bugs and crashes experienced while playing. When thinking of other games I've gone through I do remember the rare lockup but New Vegas blew everything away. I can't think of a day when it didnt crash. First game that ate save games as well, four times in total I think.

The story rolled along well enough compared to Fallout 3, but I think first two games were more entertaining to play. I have to admit that I might have destroyed my will to play by getting on the bad side of Legion so early that the assasination squads were unbelievably hard and nearly one shotted my character in combat for quite a long time and this killed exploration alltogether (and why the hell do they see you mile away when you are sneaking?!). Then again combat was carbage in my opinion anyways - impossible to hit anything further than 5 metres without V.A.T.S. if the target was moving.

Companions were as interesting as porridge. Cass was the only one who I could be arsed to bring along for other than quest purposes. The best characters in the game were sadly in a DLC, Old World Blues' AIs were well enough written so I didnt tend to skip the conversations. And as for locations Honest Hearts was the most fun place to wander around. These two DLCs were the ones where I enjoyed the game easily the most.

Despite now I think mostly of the game with negatives I do intend to go through it again as I now know the mistakes I made which robbed the fun - and theres no need to play some way or the other to get achievements. And maybe just to see if the game really is as buggy as it seems.

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
    TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

Every Fallout game has been buggy and if not then certainly unpolished. I remember playing Fallout 2 and being unable to complete several quests, not to mention how many of the actual quests and areas were unfinished or cut from the game. If you have any history with Fallout you should just expect every new release to be a nightmare from a technical stand point. Makes life a lot easier. With that said I've never had any game breaking problems with New Vegas, a couple of crashes and freezes, which still actually happen, but that's it.   
    As for the combat, if you had gotten Ratslayer you wouldn't have had that problem.

krummi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By krummi

@TheDudeOfGaming: I have played all the previous games as well and New Vegas was the first one that completely went bust on me. I do admit that I played the first two games few years after their release and I presume they had gotten fixed at that point. I did know about the buggyness of the New Vegas as well but just didn't imagine how bad it really could be.

But like I said, still the game draws me back to do things differently. Which tells something as on a personal level I usually dont care one bit about replaying story driven games.

D_Bones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By D_Bones

Weird I am also nearly through this game. I have logged 70 hours so far and this is my third attempt to play this game. The first time I stopped quickly because it didn't feel like fallout 3 and that scared me off. The second time I tried to play I got 13 hours in and got frustrated that I had to reset the system 8 times in that period. This time I'm actually enjoying it but in the first hour and a half I had to reset twice. Which nearly made me stop. I'm glad I didn't but this is the first game that has been so frustratingly buggy I have stopped playing it. And I did play fallout 3 and it was buggy but not even close to this. I am playing on ps3 which seems to be the "problem" system for whatever reason. Anyway I've been seeing a lot of talk about new Vegas lately and I do like the game but so far with the exception of old world blues no side mission in new Vegas compares to the best of 3's side missions. But roaming a fallout world is still great it is just a shame I have to be distracted be technical failings.

pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By pweidman

I've beaten New Vegas and all the dlcs, and after the patches and installed(360), the game is a little less buggy than Fallout 3, and even Skyrim. But remember with this old engine there are so many bugs and glitches there's plenty of room for varied experiences. You've had the worse end of things imo tc. As far as Vegas goes, I believe the Black Isle influence really made the game more fun than FO3. Play the survival mode too; a very fun diversion after you've beaten the story once.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Ravenlight

Yeah, New Vegas is buggy as hell. If you're on the PC you can install some fan-created mods to fix a bunch of bugs but honestly, you shouldn't have to install a third-party workaround due to development issues. Thanks, AAA development cycle.

That said, I did enjoy playing through New Vegas twice. First as a max luck/max charisma character, then as a melee-only brute. There's a lot more story if you invest points into noncombat abilities, I think.

As the OP said, the combat is pretty shit. I moved the difficulty down to Easy Babies Mode and had a lot more fun than with it on any higher setting. Healing is too much of a pain in the ass to be doing it constantly in the middle of fights.

As for DLCs, there weren't enough story hooks in the main game for Honest Hearts or Lonesome Road to carry the story impact they were supposed to. Dead Money and Old World Blues worked much better because they were almost completely divorced from the main game.

Morrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By Morrow

@krummi: I get a random game freeze every 2 hours. But I guess that can't be helped considering the size of the game world. It gets especially buggy when entering Camp McCarran or Red Rock Canyon. Still, it's one of my favourite games. It's most fun gameplay-wise, because you can do so many different things. Story-wise, it's lacking, it's not a game that sucks you in with it's plot. Though it has a good atmosphere. Most characters are pretty pale. Joshua Graham though is one of my all-time favourite VG characters.

Comparing Fallout 3 and New Vegas isn't easy, both have their pros and cons. A big pro from 3 is its atmosphere. It's less crowded than New Vegas, you feel more lonely and, generally, the atmosphere is more intense. That makes me feel more connected with it. But then, New Vegas has more places to go, more people to encounter, all the different factions... that strips it from it's tensity as a post-nuclear world, but also enhances your fun as a player a lot. Plus, Joshua Graham. Great writing. Nuff' said.

KevinK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By KevinK
    @krummi: Totally feel what you're saying about the Legion hit squads. They are totally unbalanced and can be brutal for low-level characters. It must have been intentional, because Caesar is supposed to be some badass emperor type who can have people killed by snapping his fingers. 

JE Sawyer is on formspring and has answered a lot of questions about FO:NV development and design decisions. I wonder if anybody asked him why the hitsquads are so frickin' hard.
    Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I have a sealed copy of this game sitting on my shelf. I know I ought to play it at some point (I really enjoy Bethesda products in general and fucking adored Fallout 3), but I just can't will myself to do it.

jjm494

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By jjm494

I don't know about the PC version, but I played the Xbox 360 version about 5 months after it game out. Maybe I'm one of the lucky ones, but I didn't experience any crashes or major glitching. I remember the fallout 3 freezing up on me a whole lot.

Overall, I liked the story of New Vegas a lot. It carried the spirit of the first two over. And yes, as someone who got 1,2, and 3 when they first came out, bugginess is definitely a characteristic of the series. It's one of the trade-offs you have to deal with in order to enjoy such an awesome series.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.