Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Fallout: New Vegas

Game » consists of 25 releases. Released Oct 19, 2010

The post-apocalyptic Fallout universe expands into Nevada in this new title in the franchise. As a courier once left for dead by a mysterious man in a striped suit, the player must now set out to find their assailant and uncover the secrets of the enigmatic ruler of New Vegas.

game length = worth buying

BoFooQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By BoFooQ

I don't buy may games most of my collect is sports game I can keep playing.  I have dragon age which I loved and spent nearly 100 hours playing through.  I played fallout 3 and really enjoyed spending maybe 50-60 hours playing all the through.  I want new vegas but I haven't heard that much new about it,  and my question is $60 worth a game as long as I play all the way through and spend atleast 60 hours? 
    does the length of a game help you when you decide to buy something?
    Coombs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Coombs

$1 per hour,  Thats entertainment. 

But seriously how could you spend that little amount of time on Fallout 3? 

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By MrKlorox

It's definitely a factor. I tend not to spend the full $60 on games if there aren't 50+ hours of enjoyment to be had (be it single or multiplayer). So for those shorter games, Steam sales to the rescue. I will likely never play Limbo.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335
    deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh fuck yes.  Because of mods and their infinite replay value, I've spent over 1000 hours on FO3 and Oblivion both.  As a matter of fact, I started a new modded playthrough of FO3 today. 

New Vegas will get 1000+ hours from me as well, I'm sure.

Liam_mk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Liam_mk
    @Coombs said:
    " $1 per hour,  Thats entertainment.  But seriously how could you spend that little amount of time on Fallout 3?  "
    Yeah, to me it was more of a 0.30 to hour ratio :) thats money well spent...time on the other hand...
    huntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

#6  Edited By huntad

I spent well over 300 hours combined on Fallout 3 and maybe 100 on dragon age. I am currently playing through it again so add another 40-50 hours on there as well as maybe 60 or so for my fallout 3 playthrough. Game replayability is my only concern. Sure, I could finish Fallout 3 as fast as you did, but I prefer to spend a lot more time exploring, questing, and chatting with the locals, because I find it really fun. Games that offer that kind of replayability are must-buys for me, and since every Fallout has been epic in terms of scope so far, I'll assume that this one does as well.

mano521

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By mano521

definitely.  the new things to do, new weapons, factions you can join, and all the choices they seem to be putting in this game should make the game last for a very long time. 

i know i will be doing multiple playthroughs.    im currently on my third fallout 3 playthrough and each one has at least 80 hrs on it

RankRabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By RankRabbit

The problem for myself is going to be waiting to see how many glitches exist in New Vegas. I had Fallout 3: GOTY edition on the PS3 and was faced with so many glitches, slowdowns, and problems that I had to sell it.

Avatar image for nikoalexander57
    NikoAlexander57

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By NikoAlexander57

Buy Fallout New Vegas. You will not regret and if you do I'll send you a redeemable 1 free hug coupon. Hope that helps.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10  Edited By Animasta
    @InfamousBIG said:
    " Oh fuck yes.  Because of mods and their infinite replay value, I've spent over 1000 hours on FO3 and Oblivion both.  As a matter of fact, I started a new modded playthrough of FO3 today.  New Vegas will get 1000+ hours from me as well, I'm sure. "
    yeah but you're not even paying 60 for the PC version
    Avatar image for constable_wiggum
    Constable_Wiggum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#11  Edited By Constable_Wiggum

Quality over quantity!  Not specifically referencing Fallout 3 (I love the game), but I'd rather pay $60 for 15 - 20 hours of quality gameplay over dozens of hours of playing through crap.  

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By NekuSakuraba
    @rsansome said:
    " Quality over quantity!  Not specifically referencing Fallout 3 (I love the game), but I'd rather pay $60 for 15 - 20 hours of quality gameplay over dozens of hours of playing through crap.   "
    Yep!
    jorbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#13  Edited By jorbear

It's Obsidian. While most of their games have been buggy, they are using the same engine that Fallout 3 ran on, so hopefully there will be less bugs. 
    Oh and did I mention that Obsidian owns?

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By DystopiaX
    @rsansome said:

" Quality over quantity!  Not specifically referencing Fallout 3 (I love the game), but I'd rather pay $60 for 15 - 20 hours of quality gameplay over dozens of hours of playing through crap.   "

The thing is, if it's too short I'll just rent it. I don't see why I should spend 60 dollars on a 6 hour game if I can just rent it for a weekend and beat it, no matter how good it is. with games like Fallout, Halo, and CoD, I've spent hundreds of hours on each one, something I can't do in a week. 
    edit- with other entertainment mediums, buying it on launch is justified by the fact that you can't rent it until months later, but you can pretty much rent things on launch so there's no real advantage to a buy.
    Hypertreb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15  Edited By Hypertreb

It kind of depends. For $50 would you rather have 10 hours of pure bliss or 80 hours of filler?
    MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By MrKlorox
    @DystopiaX said:

" @rsansome said:

The thing is, if it's too short I'll just rent it. I don't see why I should spend 60 dollars on a 6 hour game if I can just rent it for a weekend and beat it, no matter how good it is. with games like Fallout, Halo, and CoD, I've spent hundreds of hours on each one, something I can't do in a week. edit- with other entertainment mediums, buying it on launch is justified by the fact that you can't rent it until months later, but you can pretty much rent things on launch so there's no real advantage to a buy. "
    Other than to support the developers whose games you enjoy.

@Hypertreb said:
    " It kind of depends. For $50 would you rather have 10 hours of pure bliss or 80 hours of filler? "
    Not all long games are filler. I can think of plenty of long games that are better than their overpriced, shorter counterparts.
    trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By trophyhunter
    @Hypertreb said:
    " It kind of depends. For $50 would you rather have 10 hours of pure bliss or 80 hours of filler? "
    what if it's good filler?
    I fucking love Dynasty Warriors which is 100% filler and I've played all of them for like 89 hours.
    DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By DystopiaX
    @MrKlorox said:
    " @DystopiaX said:
    " @rsansome said:

The thing is, if it's too short I'll just rent it. I don't see why I should spend 60 dollars on a 6 hour game if I can just rent it for a weekend and beat it, no matter how good it is. with games like Fallout, Halo, and CoD, I've spent hundreds of hours on each one, something I can't do in a week. edit- with other entertainment mediums, buying it on launch is justified by the fact that you can't rent it until months later, but you can pretty much rent things on launch so there's no real advantage to a buy. "
    Other than to support the developers whose games you enjoy. "
    I'm tired of the support the developer bullshit that people trump out, like it's my duty to support these studios that are businesses. You don't see movie fans going to a shit movie specifically to support a director, and game studios are businesses like any others. If they come out with a product that I like, then I'll buy it, but i'm not going to buy a game that doesn't warrant a purchase just because the developer created a good product in the past or seem like nice people.
    Hypertreb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Hypertreb
    @trophyhunter said:
    " @Hypertreb said:
    what if it's good filler? I fucking love Dynasty Warriors which is 100% filler and I've played all of them for like 89 hours."

If you enjoy the gameplay of Dynasty Warriors (I do too) then it's completely worth your time to kill hundreds of mindless soldiers and run forward. Although I don't think I would pay $50-60 for Dynasty Warriors.
    trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By trophyhunter
    @Hypertreb said:
    " @trophyhunter said:
    " @Hypertreb said:
    what if it's good filler? I fucking love Dynasty Warriors which is 100% filler and I've played all of them for like 89 hours."
    If you enjoy the gameplay of Dynasty Warriors (I do too) then it's completely worth your time to kill hundreds of mindless soldiers and run forward. Although I don't think I would pay $50-60 for Dynasty Warriors. "
    I would, have, and plan to do again.
    MistaSparkle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#21  Edited By MistaSparkle

Yeah I think you'll be fine. ;)

scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By scarace360

1$ an hour. I dont think i could get a better deal.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By MrKlorox
    @DystopiaX said:

" @MrKlorox said:

" @DystopiaX said:

"The thing is, if it's too short I'll just rent it. I don't see why I should spend 60 dollars on a 6 hour game if I can just rent it for a weekend and beat it, no matter how good it is. with games like Fallout, Halo, and CoD, I've spent hundreds of hours on each one, something I can't do in a week. edit- with other entertainment mediums, buying it on launch is justified by the fact that you can't rent it until months later, but you can pretty much rent things on launch so there's no real advantage to a buy. "
    I'm tired of the support the developer bullshit that people trump out, like it's my duty to support these studios that are businesses. You don't see movie fans going to a shit movie specifically to support a director, and game studios are businesses like any others. If they come out with a product that I like, then I'll buy it, but i'm not going to buy a game that doesn't warrant a purchase just because the developer created a good product in the past or seem like nice people. "
    No, it's your duty as a consumer to pay the right party. The videostore reaps the rewards for the developer's hard work. I'm tired of the bullshit justifications people have for buying used and renting while condemning dirty pirates. Either you're for paying the developers or you are not.

It's simple: if you enjoyed the game enough to finish it, the developers should get paid. But I'll agree $60 for 10 hours is more expensive than it should be.

@scarace360 said:

" 1$ an hour. I dont think i could get a better deal. "

I'd point you or any wRPG (specifically in the style of Fallout) fan to Arcanum @ GOG. It's more like $0.15 or less per solid hour on top of solid hour at $6.
    DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By DystopiaX
    @MrKlorox said:
    " @DystopiaX said:

" @MrKlorox said:

" @DystopiaX said:

"The thing is, if it's too short I'll just rent it. I don't see why I should spend 60 dollars on a 6 hour game if I can just rent it for a weekend and beat it, no matter how good it is. with games like Fallout, Halo, and CoD, I've spent hundreds of hours on each one, something I can't do in a week. edit- with other entertainment mediums, buying it on launch is justified by the fact that you can't rent it until months later, but you can pretty much rent things on launch so there's no real advantage to a buy. "
    I'm tired of the support the developer bullshit that people trump out, like it's my duty to support these studios that are businesses. You don't see movie fans going to a shit movie specifically to support a director, and game studios are businesses like any others. If they come out with a product that I like, then I'll buy it, but i'm not going to buy a game that doesn't warrant a purchase just because the developer created a good product in the past or seem like nice people. "
    No, it's your duty as a consumer to pay the right party. The videostore reaps the rewards for the developer's hard work. I'm tired of the bullshit justifications people have for buying used and renting while condemning dirty pirates. Either you're for paying the developers or you are not.

It's simple: if you enjoyed the game enough to finish it, the developers should get paid. But I'll agree $60 for 10 hours is more expensive than it should be.

@scarace360 said:

" 1$ an hour. I dont think i could get a better deal. "

I'd point you or any wRPG (specifically in the style of Fallout) fan to Arcanum @ GOG. It's more like $0.15 or less per solid hour on top of solid hour at $6. "
    The rental store paid the developers, the disk is now their property, and they can rent it out. 
    And if the developers want me to pay them, then their damn game should justify a $60 purchase. It's as simple as that. If it doesn't warrant a $60 purchase, find some way to make it more valuable or release it, new, on release, for cheaper. Don't try and convince me that I should buy your overvalued product because $60 is the "norm".
    SpiralStairs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By SpiralStairs

I beat Fallout 3 in 20 hours and never touched again, except to try out point lookout for about 20 minutes.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By MrKlorox
    @DystopiaX said:

" if the developers want me to pay them, then their damn game should justify a $60 purchase. It's as simple as that. If it doesn't warrant a $60 purchase, find some way to make it more valuable or release it, new, on release, for cheaper. Don't try and convince me that I should buy your overvalued product because $60 is the "norm". "

I agree completely. That's why I practically spam links to the various stores' deals on SteamGameSales.com and the sales collected by CheapAssGamer.com. And is also why I only buy a couple games for my consoles a year. Yeah you'll have to wait a month or two after release for a sale that makes the game cost close to what you think it should, but they do come. CAG will even alert you if a game happens to go on sale at or less than the price you set.

But yes, 10-15 hours @ $60 is like a third more expensive than it should be.

@SpiralStairs said:
    " I beat Fallout 3 in 20 hours and never touched again, except to try out point lookout for about 20 minutes. "
    You skipped all the fun stuff. The main story in Bethesda games is always the last thing you want to do.
    DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By DystopiaX
    @MrKlorox said:
    " @DystopiaX said:

" if the developers want me to pay them, then their damn game should justify a $60 purchase. It's as simple as that. If it doesn't warrant a $60 purchase, find some way to make it more valuable or release it, new, on release, for cheaper. Don't try and convince me that I should buy your overvalued product because $60 is the "norm". "

I agree completely. That's why I practically spam links to the various stores' deals on SteamGameSales.com and the sales collected by CheapAssGamer.com. And is also why I only buy a couple games for my consoles a year. Yeah you'll have to wait a month or two after release for a sale that makes the game cost close to what you think it should, but they do come. CAG will even alert you if a game happens to go on sale at or less than the price you set.

But yes, 10-15 hours @ $60 is like a third more expensive than it should be.

@SpiralStairs said:
    " I beat Fallout 3 in 20 hours and never touched again, except to try out point lookout for about 20 minutes. "
    You skipped all the fun stuff. The main story in Bethesda games is always the last thing you want to do. "
    The thing is, I'm not gonna wait. There are plenty of short games that are amazing, but I don't feel like I should have to wait just because sixty dollars is the industry standard. If someone is willing to let me play the game for cheap, I'm going to do it. Rental companies are in a compeitive business, and they're succeeding for a reason. The whole online pass and preorder shit is just game companies trying to react in the wrong way- they want to keep their sixty dollar price point but at the same time their shit just isn't worth that much.
    TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#28  Edited By TheGreatGuero
    @Coombs said:

" $1 per hour,  Thats entertainment.  But seriously how could you spend that little amount of time on Fallout 3?  "

My mind's blown too. After uhh... about 200 hours, I'm still not done with the story and not started with the DLC.
    bhhawks78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By bhhawks78

Don't confuse worth your money and worth your time.  <3 gamefly.  Some of my favorite games ever have been rentals. 

Lol at "support"  make games that are worth replaying/worth keeping or price your game accordingly, otherwise my only obligation is not to be a pirate.  Don't like used games?  Fine gimp your resale value of your games and watch people not buy it at all until it's in the bargain bin and less people buy at launch because they know they won't be able to resell it for shit.

SpiralStairs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By SpiralStairs
    @MrKlorox:  I've spent probably over 100 hours just exploring in Morrowind, but Fallout 3 stopped being interesting for me after about 10 hours. I decided to just do the story at that point.
    DrPockets000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By DrPockets000

The biggest problem with this whole price-playtime ratio is that you're constantly thinking about trying to get your money's worth and you stop playing the game for entertainment.  When you stop playing for entertainment, you get bored and stop playing altogether, making you think you've wasted your money.  

galiant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#32  Edited By galiant
    @InfamousBIG said:
    " Oh fuck yes.  Because of mods and their infinite replay value, I've spent over 1000 hours on FO3 and Oblivion both.  As a matter of fact, I started a new modded playthrough of FO3 today.  New Vegas will get 1000+ hours from me as well, I'm sure. "
    This is why I'm a little sad that I played through Fallout 3 on the PS3, since I cannot mod anything. But I did pick up the Deluxe Edition of Oblivion on Steam, and maybe I'll do the same with Fallout 3 and New Vegas if those are ever on sale later on =)
    Raymayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Raymayne

Length doesn't really factor into it when I buy a game, I buy stuff that I'm going to enjoy, even if it's only for a brief time. Give me Mirror's Edge's 5-6 hour campaign over a 20 hour playthrough of Divinity II: Ego Draconis any day.

TengoJuego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By TengoJuego

If you're picking up Fallout for a single play through, it's probably not worth it. But how in the hell can you only play it once?! There's so much to be experienced.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Jimbo

I'd rather developers worried about making a good game before making a long game.  That said, I expect New Vegas to offer pretty good value for money if that's what you're after.

TorMasturba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By TorMasturba

I think of it like this; If I go to the cinemas I spend about £15, excluding money for snacks and stuff, to sit in a big room that contains many rude, obnoxious people sitting around me and interrupting my experience of the 2 hour 15-45 min film. The only massive benefit when going to the cinemas is that I'm going with my girlfriend, some friends or my family. (Or a combination of the three.)

If however I buy a high quality, lengthy game for £40 that has a great story and many little and large tid-bits to explore and discover, and this all happens over the course of 100 or so hours. 
    Then this is value for money many times over the one single trip I had to the cinemas. 

Not to devalue the people that I like to spend time with, but I'm talking more about the money-value taken away ratio. 
    In this case, being the avid video-game nut that I am, I'd buy the game every time and invite my friends around to watch & play it with me.

Edwardryu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Edwardryu

I don't think that the game won't be that much longer. it's more likely special edition. it's not like Fallout 4 or something. it's just similar with call of duty black ops. so it would be maybe about 30-40 hours max. then we will have some DLC after that. actually, I don't like the game which I spent too much time to finish. I think 8-40 hours is right for gaming from FPS, RPG, racing, whatever. 

evildeadron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#38  Edited By evildeadron

dont forget the hardcore mode in Fallout New Vegas....you could always play on hardcore and see how far into the game you can make it without re loading save files, if you die, you die just like all of the rogue like games
    trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By trophyhunter
    @bofooq said:
    " I don't buy may games most of my collect is sports game I can keep playing.  I have dragon age which I loved and spent nearly 100 hours playing through.  I played fallout 3 and really enjoyed spending maybe 50-60 hours playing all the through.  I want new vegas but I haven't heard that much new about it,  and my question is $60 worth a game as long as I play all the way through and spend atleast 60 hours? does the length of a game help you when you decide to buy something? "
    Lets never be friends
    MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By MrKlorox
    @trophyhunter said:
    " @bofooq said:
    " I don't buy may games most of my collect is sports game I can keep playing.  I have dragon age which I loved and spent nearly 100 hours playing through.  I played fallout 3 and really enjoyed spending maybe 50-60 hours playing all the through.  I want new vegas but I haven't heard that much new about it,  and my question is $60 worth a game as long as I play all the way through and spend atleast 60 hours? does the length of a game help you when you decide to buy something? "
    Lets never be friends "
    I don't think you ever have to worry about that with anybody.
    MistaSparkle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#41  Edited By MistaSparkle
    @Coombs said:
    Seemed like a joke at first. Then I checked my game time for F3. Sumthin like 110 hours for only one of my characters. I didn't dare check the other files. As an answer to your question however, I am 99.999999999999999999999999999% sure Fallout New Vegas will be well worth your money by factors of length and quality and whatever other standards you can think of.
    SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @Laketown said:

" @InfamousBIG said:

yeah but you're not even paying 60 for the PC version "
    FO : NV is $90 on Steam
    FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#43  Edited By FancySoapsMan

Obsidian is making it sound like this game is going to be huge.

It looks like they put more focus on towns than just the wasteland this time also. Which is awesome.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#44  Edited By Hailinel
    @Hypertreb said:
    " @trophyhunter said:
    " @Hypertreb said:
    If you enjoy the gameplay of Dynasty Warriors (I do too) then it's completely worth your time to kill hundreds of mindless soldiers and run forward. Although I don't think I would pay $50-60 for Dynasty Warriors. "
    I have paid the full amount multiple times for the privileged of cutting down hundreds of dudes.
    Mrnitropb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#45  Edited By Mrnitropb

Since this is probably my last game until the semester's over, I have no choice but to wringe out the most bang for my buck.  

But there's also DLC. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.