Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Fallout: New Vegas

Game » consists of 25 releases. Released Oct 19, 2010

The post-apocalyptic Fallout universe expands into Nevada in this new title in the franchise. As a courier once left for dead by a mysterious man in a striped suit, the player must now set out to find their assailant and uncover the secrets of the enigmatic ruler of New Vegas.

Installing to the 360 HDD

enemaems

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By enemaems

So, does installing the game help with the framerate issue or make it worse? 45 minutes in and the game is already chugging in spots. Going to install in a bit to see if it helps. I was just wondering what others experiences were with this.

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By LordXavierBritish

I've played from beginning to end with the game installed and I got SIGNIFICANT chug in several sections of the game as well as numerous complete crashes. 

It probably won't help much if at all.

Dustpan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Dustpan

It's shortened load times for me.

GoCartDeath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4  Edited By GoCartDeath

I have mine installed and occasionally go into system settings, memory, hit the y button and then clear the system cache.  I've seen significant improvement in both frame rate and load times after playing it for a while.  I pretty much do this every time after I've played it for a few hours.  After doing this, you have to reapply any title updates (patches not DLC) you might have. 

Marverous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By Marverous

Installing it shortened the load times for me, but it still had some framerate jumps as well some weird glitches where your gun disappears and then drops back down.  The update has improved things, but there are still a few glitches.  Haven't had any crashes since the update, though, so that's good. 

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#6  Edited By MooseyMcMan

In my experience with installing games to 360, all it really does is make the 360 quieter (still got one of the old ones that is almost louder than my TV). Maybe it shortened loads for some games a little, but not enough for me to notice the difference.  

However, I have not tried it with New Vegas. I did it for a bit with Fallout 3 though (sadly, I only have enough room for one game, because I'm also still using a 20 GB hard drive). I would say that you should do it, because it can't hurt (much). 

enemaems

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By enemaems

I installed it last night and the load times improved significantly. The framerate was still shoddy in some spots, but nothing like I was experiencing previously. Didn't Fallout 3 also have an issue where clearing the cache occasionally on the 360 fixed some of its issues until they patched it, or am I thinking of another game?

FongGhoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By FongGhoul

I never had a hard crash while playing from disc, but that happened a few times after I installed to the HD. That doesn't mean it makes things worse, just saying in my experience I did not notice an improvement. It is possible that load times shortened a bit, but nothing I really noticed. Not having the sound of a chainsaw coming out of my console while I'm trying to enjoy the game is a major improvement, however.

Arker101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By Arker101
    @GoCartDeath said:
    "I have mine installed and occasionally go into system settings, memory, hit the y button and then clear the system cache.  I've seen significant improvement in both frame rate and load times after playing it for a while.  I pretty much do this every time after I've played it for a few hours.  After doing this, you have to reapply any title updates (patches not DLC) you might have.  "

This works wonders for me as well.
    zegolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By zegolf

Load times are definitely decreased.  I really notice it when I go in and out of buildings in towns.  There seems to be almost no delay on the loading times.  

No graphical improvements, though, and definitely nothing affecting the slowdown and lag.  I think these are just a result of the game's engine.  I would try the clear cache trick, because that seems to be working for a lot of people.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

4.3 gigs and shorter load times. with shorter load times it should help with such things as lag in situations where the lag is caused by load times.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.