Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Fallout: New Vegas

Game » consists of 25 releases. Released Oct 19, 2010

The post-apocalyptic Fallout universe expands into Nevada in this new title in the franchise. As a courier once left for dead by a mysterious man in a striped suit, the player must now set out to find their assailant and uncover the secrets of the enigmatic ruler of New Vegas.

Layoffs Hit Obsidian Entertainment, Number Affected Unknown

• 85 results
    patrickklepek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By patrickklepek

Rather quietly, Fallout: New Vegas and Dungeon Siege III developer Obsidian Entertainment laid off an unspecified number of staff last week. 

Since finishing Fallout: New Vegas, Obsidian has continued to work with Bethesda Softworks on downloadable content for the title. It's likely the summer-bound Dungeon Siege III is nearing completion, so while layoffs are always unfortunate news, it's commonplace as projects begin to wrap up. 

As initially noticed by Gamasutra, the Obsidian message boards have collected farewells, sign-offs and goodbyes from some developers affected by changes.

Fallout: New Vegas kept the franchise moving, while Bethesda moved onto other projects.
     Fallout: New Vegas kept the franchise moving, while Bethesda moved onto other projects.

== TEASER =="11 years, nearly a dozen shipped titles, Designer, Lead, Producer, cancelled game, survived 7 layoffs, 8th got me," tweeted now-former producer Akil Hooper, part of the company for nearly four years. "Not a bad track record.

"Today marks my 3 year anniversary working at Obsidian Entertainment," said gameplay programmer Justin Reynard. "To my coworkers (and sadly the ones we've lost) you guys are amazing.<3"

"No longer work at Obsidian," said former quality assurance tester Ashley Better. "I guess this means I will have to start buying my own pens. [...] As a follow up, not going to go into details, it is fine no harsh feelings anywhere."

I've contacted Obsidian for further details on the layoffs, and will update this story if I hear back.
    patrickklepek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By patrickklepek

Rather quietly, Fallout: New Vegas and Dungeon Siege III developer Obsidian Entertainment laid off an unspecified number of staff last week. 

Since finishing Fallout: New Vegas, Obsidian has continued to work with Bethesda Softworks on downloadable content for the title. It's likely the summer-bound Dungeon Siege III is nearing completion, so while layoffs are always unfortunate news, it's commonplace as projects begin to wrap up. 

As initially noticed by Gamasutra, the Obsidian message boards have collected farewells, sign-offs and goodbyes from some developers affected by changes.

== TEASER =="11 years, nearly a dozen shipped titles, Designer, Lead, Producer, cancelled game, survived 7 layoffs, 8th got me," tweeted now-former producer Akil Hooper, part of the company for nearly four years. "Not a bad track record.

"Today marks my 3 year anniversary working at Obsidian Entertainment," said gameplay programmer Justin Reynard. "To my coworkers (and sadly the ones we've lost) you guys are amazing.<3"

"No longer work at Obsidian," said former quality assurance tester Ashley Better. "I guess this means I will have to start buying my own pens. [...] As a follow up, not going to go into details, it is fine no harsh feelings anywhere."

I've contacted Obsidian for further details on the layoffs, and will update this story if I hear back.
    nachokicks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By nachokicks

what

Pickingwings

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Pickingwings

Really sucks for people to be laid off.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By Marz

that sucks for them.  New Vegas was actually a pretty good Obsidian game.   

NickLott

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#5  Edited By NickLott

This is really surprising. Alpha Protocol flopped but I was under the impression that Fallout New Vegas has done really well. Also, they have a slew of projects in the pipeline. 

vigorousjammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 41

#6  Edited By vigorousjammer

well, it doesn't seem as nefarious as Activision...

Agent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Agent47

NOOOO!!!!They could have made the BEST Fallout ever if they teamed up with Bethesda!Bethesda could of made the tech and basic gameplay, and Obsidian would do the factions and deeper gameplay mechanics as well as balancing.They could work on the story together come on this would be sooo good.Bethesda can't make F4 on it's own!I mean once I saw New Vegas I was happy to see how much better Fallout 3 could have been gameplay and story wise.

blair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By blair

Too bad.  New Vegas was fantastic.  Much better than Fallout 3.  I wish it had better DLC.

delta_ass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

User Lists: 7

#9  Edited By delta_ass

Well, they released KOTOR 2 and it was an okay game.
    Then they released Neverwinter Nights 2 and it was a horrible game.
    Then they released Alpha Protocol and it was a horrible game.
    Then they released Fallout New Vegas and it was a horrible game.

I gotta say, I kinda saw this coming.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10  Edited By JJOR64

Bummer.   :(

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#11  Edited By Enigma777

Not a big surprise here. 

Chop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By Chop

As much as I hate Obsidian, this is sad news. 
    I don't like people losing their jobs :(

Edit: Obsidian actually has fucking QA? Okay I don't feel bad for anyone from that department getting the boot...
    mrv321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By mrv321
    @Delta_Ass said:
    " Well, they released KOTOR 2 and it was an okay game.Then they released Neverwinter Nights 2 and it was a horrible game.Then they released Alpha Protocol and it was a horrible game.Then they released Fallout New Vegas and it was a horrible game.I gotta say, I kinda saw this coming. "
    And they are the people behind Fallout 1 and 2.
    Grissefar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Grissefar

It sucks to be laid off but I'm happy that something bad is happening to Obsidian, I mean they just keep pumping out one piece of shit out after another - it has to stop. KOTOR 2, NWN2, New Vegas, just one shitty sequel after the other, and then Alpha Protocol too. Let the big boys handle the sequels, thank you very much.

jking47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By jking47

fallout new vegas was awesome, that really sucks. delta_ass is crazy

Obsidian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Obsidian
    @Delta_Ass said:
    " Well, they released KOTOR 2 and it was an okay game.Then they released Neverwinter Nights 2 and it was a horrible game.Then they released Alpha Protocol and it was a horrible game.Then they released Fallout New Vegas and it was a horrible game.I gotta say, I kinda saw this coming. "
    1/10.
    xpgamer7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#17  Edited By xpgamer7

Patrick, the news hunter.

oysteinBrenne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By oysteinBrenne

I love Obsidian so this saddens me deeply..

m0rdr3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By m0rdr3d

Sorry for those folks.  Surely they'll land on their feet somewhere.

Can anyone tell me were all the bugs and kinks finally ironed out from New Vegas??  That game had a lot of potential, but I had to stop due to all kinds of issues.

simonsays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By simonsays

Feel sorry for the employee's, but what downloadable content for Fallout? After Dead money there's been a massive void in downloable content for Fallout and nothing in near future. It's abit of a joke

droop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By droop

It's never fun to hear about lay offs. I liked New Vegas and Alpha Protocol ;<

Aishan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Aishan
    @simonsays: Honest Hearts (the Burned Man) had a trailer leaked a little while back.

There's also been talk of two more featuring The Great Divide and Ulysses the "other Courier".

No idea what's happening with the schedules for them though.
    crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#23  Edited By crusader8463
    @Delta_Ass said:
    " Well, they released KOTOR 2 and it was an great game.
    Then they released Neverwinter Nights 2 and it was an ok game.
    Then they released Alpha Protocol and it was a horrible game.
    Then they released Fallout New Vegas and it was a fuck ton better then Fallout 3.
    I gotta say, I kinda saw this coming. "
    Fixed it for ya.
    FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#24  Edited By FinalDasa  Moderator

Thats a bummer, their games at least try to break molds and its great to see console RPGs that don't always play by the rules. 

Avatar image for little_socrates
    Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#25  Edited By Little_Socrates

Sucks for the people being laid off, but I think it's clear Obsidian needs to get their shit together.

GalacticPunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#26  Edited By GalacticPunt

A bummer, but inevitable.  With New Vegas behind them, I understand that they have to get leaner.  Hell, after the Aliens RPG was cancelled and Alpha Protocol bombed hard, getting contracted for New Vegas is probably the only reason the company still exists.  I hope to see these guys rebuild in the next few years.

MeatSim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#27  Edited By MeatSim

Layoffs are never good but they made some solid games.

Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
    Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@simonsays said:
    " Feel sorry for the employee's, but what downloadable content for Fallout? After Dead money there's been a massive void in downloable content for Fallout and nothing in near future. It's abit of a joke "
    Yup. And Dead Money fuckin' sucked too.
    pekoe212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By pekoe212

Always makes me sad hearing all the hate for Obsidian, even it is deserved, because I still associate them with Black Isle. There's always this moment of confusion where I think "hey! Those guys made some of my favorite games ever!" And then I realize they didn't, at least not as Obsidian. I really applaud them for trying new things though, I hope one day they can surprise us all with an original IP that's innovative and polished.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Tennmuerti
    @Delta_Ass said:

Strange I loved all of those 3 titles.

NWN2 was better then the original, especially with the expansion, which was recieved very positively.
    Alpha Protocol was a great RPG years ahead of any competition in terms of how your actions affect the world with a leveling system that rewarded understanding.
    Fallout: New Vegas is by most thought to be supperior to F3 and much truer to the originals.

@Everyones_A_Critic said:
    " @simonsays said:
    " Feel sorry for the employee's, but what downloadable content for Fallout? After Dead money there's been a massive void in downloable content for Fallout and nothing in near future. It's abit of a joke "
    Yup. And Dead Money fuckin' sucked too. "
    What did you dislike in Dead Money so much?
    DoctorLazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By DoctorLazy
    Delta_Ass said:

Except, you know, three of those four games are great, and the third is ok if you like D&D.
    Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#32  Edited By Vinny_Says

"Quality assurance tester..."

nuff said

but still people losing jobs is never a good thing, hope they get back on their feet soon.

Avatar image for deactivated-59011e8c08e03
    deactivated-59011e8c08e03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

*deleted*

Scorch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Scorch

Trying to understand what universe I'm living in where F:NV is considered bad and FO3 is good.

umdesch4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By umdesch4

Speaking of Dead Money, was that ever released for PC? I gave up checking after the first couple of months, and just uninstalled FNV 'cuz I needed the SSD harddrive space.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Animasta
    @blacklabeldomm said:

" "Quality assurance tester..."nuff saidbut still people losing jobs is never a good thing, hope they get back on their feet soon. "

one day people will learn that obsidian does not do much of it's own testing, the publishers do.

also this is mad sad :(
    Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Gabriel
    @Laketown said:
    " @blacklabeldomm said:
    " "Quality assurance tester..."nuff saidbut still people losing jobs is never a good thing, hope they get back on their feet soon. "
    one day people will learn that obsidian does not do much of it's own testing, the publishers do. "
    Yeah and those people are like yo we can't ship this game it's crazy broken, and Zeni-max still puts the game out. 
    grilledcheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#38  Edited By grilledcheez

:(  I loved New Vegas and Kotor 2

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Tennmuerti
    @umdesch4 said:
    " Speaking of Dead Money, was that ever released for PC? I gave up checking after the first couple of months, and just uninstalled FNV 'cuz I needed the SSD harddrive space. "
    Yes it's out on Steam.
    Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#40  Edited By Vinny_Says
    @Laketown said:
    " @blacklabeldomm said:

one day people will learn that obsidian does not do much of it's own testing, the publishers do.also this is mad sad :( "
    uhhh, then what does a "quality assurance tester" do exactly.
    " @Laketown said:
    " @blacklabeldomm said:
    one day people will learn that obsidian does not do much of it's own testing, the publishers do. "
    Yeah and those people are like yo we can't ship this game it's crazy broken, and Zeni-max still puts the game out.  "
    Alpha Protocol was in development for a long time and look at how that turned out, it's not just the "rushed" fallout sequel I'm talking about guys.
    Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Animasta
    @blacklabeldomm said:
    " @Laketown said:
    " @blacklabeldomm said:

one day people will learn that obsidian does not do much of it's own testing, the publishers do.also this is mad sad :( "
    uhhh, then what does a "quality assurance tester" do exactly.
    " @Laketown said:
    " @blacklabeldomm said:
    Yeah and those people are like yo we can't ship this game it's crazy broken, and Zeni-max still puts the game out.  "
    Alpha Protocol was in development for a long time and look at how that turned out, it's not just the "rushed" fallout sequel I'm talking about guys. "
    look how it turned out? do you mean how awesome it was? then I agree.
    Avatar image for arrested_developer
    Arrested_Developer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I played Alpha Protocol for the first time this year and I think that game got a bad rap.  If you could get passed the original Mass Effect combat foibles you can enjoy Alpha Protocol.

claudius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By claudius

Man this really sucks, I really enjoyed both Alpha Protocol and New Vegas. My thoughts go out to all those laid off.

gbrading

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#44  Edited By gbrading

And they still haven't announced when the next Fallout: New Vegas DLC is coming either.

Mumrik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Mumrik

Wait! Obsidian is making DS3? How had I not noticed this?

God Damn... And I was looking forward to that one after enjoying 2. It's off my list now.
    These guys are the worst game dev ever from a technical standpoint. They've never released anything that wasn't a buggy mess.

Dustpan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#46  Edited By Dustpan

I hope Bethesda buys Obsidian.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ab2c5344517a
    deactivated-5ab2c5344517a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I loved Alpha Protocol; I'm sorry that wasn't a hit from them.  That said, it's always the same lack of polish/poor QA thing that tarnishes each of their games.

Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#48  Edited By Skytylz
    @m0rdr3d said:
    "

Sorry for those folks.  Surely they'll land on their feet somewhere.

Can anyone tell me were all the bugs and kinks finally ironed out from New Vegas??  That game had a lot of potential, but I had to stop due to all kinds of issues.

"
    On consoles it is still janky, PC wise you can just brute force that shit with a beast of a computer and get it to work.  
    ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#49  Edited By ArbitraryWater

That's a bummer. Even though I think Obsidian isn't an especially amazing game developer (I think NWN 2 is alright and New Vegas is genuinely better than Fallout 3. KotOR 2 and Alpha Protocol can go die in a hole), people losing jobs is always bad. Hopefully Dungeon Siege III will do well for them, even though exactly 0% of that game interests me.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#50  Edited By Oldirtybearon

Obsidian =/= Black Isle.

The main story/creative force is at Obsidian, yes, but it's become quite clear since the destruction of Interplay and the formation of Obsidian that all of their QA department as well as their most talented designers flew the coup. Trying to defend an Obsidian game is like telling people you like having your balls stepped on. Sure, I imagine there is a select niche that enjoys that sort of retarded behaviour, but the vast majority don't.

AP and New Vegas are sterling examples of great ideas wrapped up in absolutely terrible execution. AP was an aimless project that had a severe identity crisis while New Vegas suffered from the tried and true Obsidian way. That is to make a compelling environment and story and then see how much they can break the game around it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.