Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Fallout: New Vegas

Game » consists of 25 releases. Released Oct 19, 2010

The post-apocalyptic Fallout universe expands into Nevada in this new title in the franchise. As a courier once left for dead by a mysterious man in a striped suit, the player must now set out to find their assailant and uncover the secrets of the enigmatic ruler of New Vegas.

On PC, does this game run just as well as three?

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I'm just wondering, as it says Fallout 3 runs at recommended settings on my computer. I don't have Fallout 3 on PC, but have (or, had) it on 360. My brother has it now and hasn't given it back. On Steam New Vegas is $9.99 as the standard edition, and I might want to get it. Furthermore, how's the PC version? I just glanced at Jeff's review for New Vegas, but it shows he only played it on the 360, which had a bunch of glitches at the time. Would you prefer I get the standard, or spend more at 20 bucks for the Ultimate Edition? I'm not saying I will buy it for certain, but I want to know the best option I have if I do decide to.

randiolo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By randiolo

I duno bout your pc but running fallout 3 or new vegas was a nightmare for me..i remembering it not liking my cpu. Be prepared for installing drivers..

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By Corevi

Wait for it to go on sale. During last years Holiday Sale it was 2.50 for the base game and 5 bucks for the Ultimate edition.

It does run really well and if you install the Mission Mojave unofficial patch it will remove 99% of the bugs.

As for the DLCs: Dead Money is alright but really hard and frustrating, Honest Hearts is pretty good, Old World Blues is fantastic and Lonely Road is the proper ending for the game. They all have a connecting thread that culminates in Lonely Road but Honest Hearts is the only one that has necessary information that you want before playing Lonely Road.

FritzDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

• Both Fallout 3 and New Vegas runs on whatever they feel like and both are unstable, meaning random game crashes, infinite loading screens, random framedrops etc. The most noticeable is the stutter because of the bad engine they use. I found out that running an older PC with windows Vista or 7 will run the game better than a new PC with Windows 8/8.1. This could have changed during Windows Updates or driver updates however. Just make sure you don't force the in-game Vsync off or use desktop 120/144Hz because this will break the game engine.
    • In terms of Standard or Ultimate Edition, the latter is the best version because of all the content they give you. Also most of the new stories are fairly good too. Though I wouldn't necessarily pay $20 for it so wait until it goes on sale, unless you really want to because it gives you a lot of content.
    Ford_Dent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My computer just turned four, and I've literally never had any trouble with New Vegas or Fallout 3 apart from a couple random crashes--but even those have been few and far between. It's possible I'm just lucky.

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By monetarydread

Am I the only one who never has any of those issues? I remember there being random crashes on Fallout 3, but most of those were because Windows Vista removed a bunch of Audio API's and Bethesda had to cobble something together at the last minute.

When New Vegas was released I saw no issues whatsoever. There were random crashes and physics problems, but nothing with any sort of consistancy, or at least not enough to be considered a serious issue.

As far as systems go, I was able to get 1080p 60fps with everything maxxed out on my old system. My old PC was a Core 2 Duo e6600 (2.4gHz per core), 2gb of Ram, and a Nvidia Geforce 8800GT. That was at best a mid-range PC back in 2008, so I don't see why anything that has been released since then should have a problem running the game.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As far as systems go, I was able to get 1080p 60fps with everything maxxed out on my old system. My old PC was a Core 2 Duo 6600, 2gb of Ram, and a Nvidia Geforce 8800GT. That PC was built in 98' so I don't see why anything that has been released since then should have a problem running the game.

I think you mean 08.

maddman60620

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fallout 3 and New Vegas are just buggy crashy games, there aren't a ton of fixes and having recently played it on my modern pc cpu(i7 3.4Ghz) there isn't really a change in the way the game performs... it's worth the struggle because they are great games and the crazy mods out there do makeup for it... however do not expect the stability of what Skyrim is today....

FritzDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By FritzDude

I've played Fallout 3 and New Vegas on Xbox 360 aswell and they both had issues with infinite loading screens and game crashes, New Vegas more than Fallout 3. I didn't notice the stuttering at the time, but on PC with 60 frames per second it's very noticeable. Trying New Vegas on a Intel i5 3570k, 8GB of DDR3 memory, GTX 680 2GB and Windows 7 64-bit ran it fairly good. An i7 5820k, 16GB DDR4 memory, GTX 980 4GB and Windows 8.1 64-bit runs it worse. This is most likely due to premature drivers and software related issues, but please take notice that I am a very picky person when it comes down to graphics/performance.

Avatar image for asilentprotagonist
    ASilentProtagonist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

New Vegas is way to buggy...... I don't know about 3.

ZolRoyce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@corevi said:

Wait for it to go on sale. During last years Holiday Sale it was 2.50 for the base game and 5 bucks for the Ultimate edition.

Exactly what I was going to say, it goes on sale rather often so you may not even have to wait for a Holiday sale, although then it is almost guaranteed to go on sale along with 3 and its always for really cheap when it is.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I put like 40 hours into New Vegas recently and it worked fine, 0 crashes and no obvious bugs.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

@randiolo said:

I duno bout your pc but running fallout 3 or new vegas was a nightmare for me..i remembering it not liking my cpu. Be prepared for installing drivers..

What drivers?

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

I was lucky, I didn't have many issues with FONV. There is a borderless window mod that solves a lot of problems, or at least it solved the few that I had.

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By monetarydread

@corevi: Ooops... My bad. I updated the post to include corrections. Thanks for the heads up.

konig_kei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

It runs fine last time I played it. It's on the same engine as Fallout 3 and while they made minor changes to it, I don't think it needs a much different computer to run.

It's also highly modable for any issues you may have with it on top of that.

thesquarepear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#18  Edited By thesquarepear

Fallout New Vegas is the best RPG of the last generation. The story might be more linear than Fallout 3 but most factions and communities are interesting and different compared to the stereotypical tropes of Fallout 3 that seem like conscious fan service. Deathclaws are an actual threat as well.

There was a game breaking bug on Xbox 360 that was patched (something about a Sheriff's hat in your inventory in New Vegas). I guess I've played over 200 hours on PC with mods and the only major issue I had was a consistent crash at a spot inside the airport. It was nothing game breaking because it wasn't an important environment. I can't remember if I found a workaround.

You might not be able to run around the most densely populated areas with the highest settings because that was weirdly demanding.

If you save your game frequently you should be alright.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@konig_kei: Thanks. That's nice of you. I have actually never been to gamersgate. You should save that coupon though, perhaps use it or give it to someone else. Thanks for the site though, as I didn't even know it existed... Now I'll have to look into it. I only knew of Steam and GOG.

fetchfox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By fetchfox

@ntm: I highly recommend modding the game slightly, only bug patches and so on to stabilize it. The rest should be experienced as vanilla as possible. Check out Nexus Mods NV for more info. If you're curious about anything in particular, just ask. I've heavily modded Fallout 3, Fallout New Vegas and Skyrim and played for hundreds of hours of each game.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21  Edited By mikemcn

Both games ran fine for me on a Radeon HD 4850 and first gen Core I7, this was years ago, whatever you have now should be better. (I'm replaying FO3 on a laptop now actually) People complain about bugs but forget that the PC version is vastly more stable and there are fan patches available.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#22  Edited By bybeach

I remember it crashing occasionally, but I accepted that. there was that Doctor rolling head bust posted on you-tube that was beyond hilarious.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.