Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Fallout: New Vegas

Game » consists of 25 releases. Released Oct 19, 2010

The post-apocalyptic Fallout universe expands into Nevada in this new title in the franchise. As a courier once left for dead by a mysterious man in a striped suit, the player must now set out to find their assailant and uncover the secrets of the enigmatic ruler of New Vegas.

Suitable F:NV LPs?

Crembaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

So, I'm in a weird spot. A friend of mine really wants to play New Vegas, but doesn't really have the cash for a PC that can run it, and is also very strapped for time these days. I was wondering if there were any relatively decent Let's Plays of the game - any kind of run is fine - that didn't have overly-annoying hosts or facecam stuff in them. I've tried looking around on Youtube and a few names have popped up, but even after watching a few of each of their videos I'm still unsure if any of them is really worth sending his way. Suggestions?

Strife777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I'm guessing you mean he doesn't have money for a PC period? Because it really doesn't take much to run the game well, even maxed out.

I guess the time aspect is another thing, but I think he should experience it for himself, especially considering to the open nature of it.

Anyway, sorry I don't have an actual answer to your request. I'm not a fan of "Let's Players". I've found all game related YouTubers I've seen obnoxious.

gremie73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

KirkyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By KirkyX
    Loading Video...

Many A True Nerd's Jon has done a few absolutely fantastic New Vegas Let's Plays, but I think the one I'd recommend your friend watch is the still-ongoing - he's completed the base game, but still has Lonesome Road to do - You Only Live Once run. Jon always imposes rules on his Let's Plays to keep things interesting - Kill Nothing, Kill Everything, and so on - and in You Only Live Once, he only has the one health bar. No healing of any sort is allowed, and he actually keeps a 'true health counter' that discounts mandatory heals. He's a great host, with near-encyclopaedic knowledge of the game, and the suspense is remarkable--I'd avoid telling your friend that he's gotten as far as he has, to help preserve it.

Of course, Let's Plays aren't really an adequate substitute for playing through the game yourself - make no mistake, they can be fantastically entertaining in their own right, even for a game that the person watching has put hundreds of hours into, as I have New Vegas; the experience is just altogether different - but if an LP is all your friend has time for, then You Only Live Once is definitely the one I'd recommend.

If he isn't into that one, for whatever reason, then Spoiler Warning's Let's Play might be worth a look:

Loading Video...

It's very different, but I remember enjoying it a great deal, though it has been quite a while since I last watched it.

Three0neFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't understand watching LPs as a replacement for actually playing games. Like, I totally get watching GB's content or even stuff like Game Grumps because those are primarily personality-driven and the point is rarely the game itself, but there's so much lost in the process of simply watching gameplay that you're missing out on most of the experience.

delorean99947

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Loading Video...

I've been watching this guy's LP (his name is Gopher). He sort of role plays the character every now and then when he's talking to an npc and he always ends the episode with a stinger. He is like 70+ videos in and hasn't beaten the story (he is doing a lot of the side quests and side quest mods). Definitely worth a look. You'd know if you like him by the end of the first video.

audiosnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By audiosnow

Funny you should ask, I got the itch to watch playthroughs of Fallout 3 and New Vegas ever since the announcement. I've played both of them too recently to actually pick up a controller. I've been watching the following NV playthrough, and the guy is pretty low-key and he doesn't talk over dialog much:

Loading Video...

And since I can't create a thread about only a YouTube video, I want to plug this guy. His retrospectives are terrific, not least because of his diction.

Loading Video...

Dave_Tacitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@delorean99947: I'd second Gopher's LPs. He's maybe an acquired taste in that he's a well known modder of Bethesda games and entire videos sometimes consist of mod talk with a bit of play thrown in.

When I've had my fun with Fallout 4 and fancy watching someone else having a crack, gopher will be the one I go to.

He's done a great New Vegas (along with Fallout 3 and Skyrim) modding tutorial too.

Crembaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm guessing you mean he doesn't have money for a PC period? Because it really doesn't take much to run the game well, even maxed out.

It is exactly that. The only thing he has in abundance anymore is time, and nearly all of that is spent funneled into his passion - creating RPG systems that he sells through places like DriveThruRPG. Writing that kind of stuff doesn't require anything more than a toaster, so that's what he's stuck with.

Also, 'easy to run'? Are we talking about the same Fallout: New Vegas, made in Bethesda's Gamebryo engine? Every game on it since Oblivion has run like swamp muck regardless of the power of the PC running it.

I don't understand watching LPs as a replacement for actually playing games. Like, I totally get watching GB's content or even stuff like Game Grumps because those are primarily personality-driven and the point is rarely the game itself, but there's so much lost in the process of simply watching gameplay that you're missing out on most of the experience.

Not everyone can buy every game. Even if he could afford a PC that could run it as well as New Vegas, he spends so much time working over systems and crunching numbers that sometimes he just wants to read about or see the games in action.

To everyone else, thanks for the recommendations. I'm sifting through to see if I can find a commentator that might resonate with him - he generally prefers informative over comedic style.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.