Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Fallout: New Vegas

Game » consists of 25 releases. Released Oct 19, 2010

The post-apocalyptic Fallout universe expands into Nevada in this new title in the franchise. As a courier once left for dead by a mysterious man in a striped suit, the player must now set out to find their assailant and uncover the secrets of the enigmatic ruler of New Vegas.

The DLC: Worth It?

the8bitNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By the8bitNacho

The difference between Fallout: New Vegas standalone and the GOTY edition is about $12 during the Steam sale, so I'm curious if the DLC is worth it. I wasn't at all fond of the Fallout 3 DLC. I'm pretty limited on funds for the summer sale, but I don't want to miss out if there is something really cool in there. If not, that's a couple of rad $5 games I could pick up instead. Thoughts?

Avatar image for deactivated-630b11c195a3b
    deactivated-630b11c195a3b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

yes it is though I would wait for a daily/flash sale before you buy it.

galiant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By galiant

I thought it was worth it, but then again I really enjoyed the Fallout 3 DLC so maybe I'm not the person to recommend New Vegas DLC to you.

What exactly was it that you disliked about the Fallout 3 DLC?

Harpell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Harpell

I only got the first 2, but they were both pretty cool. New areas, enemies, weapons, etc. I would totally go for the GOTY, if I were you. The Bear Trap Fist is worth $11 on its on, IMO.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5  Edited By Animasta

They're all really good, and they all tell a really good story (there's even an overarching story to the DLC), good loot an all.

Patman99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Patman99

Lonesome Road is the only piece of DLC that actually adds anything to the story and it's not that good. The other two pieces of DLC are simply weapon packs.

Only get the main game. It is great and you'll get tons of hours out of it. If I remember correctly Lonesome Road was fairly linear and not really worth the purchase in the long run.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
    deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Yes.

Morrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By Morrow

@Kombat: Get it. Honest Hearts alone is worth it :)

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By eroticfishcake

12 quid is a really good deal for them. Not all of them are amazing but they're still worth it at that price. Go for it.

pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By pweidman

I loved New Vegas much more than Fallout 3, so I'd definitely say yes to the NV GoTY ed. Old World Blues, and Dead Money are both worthy additions alone, and all the add-ons are quite long and have unique loot.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Animasta

@Patman99 said:

Lonesome Road is the only piece of DLC that actually adds anything to the story and it's not that good. The other two pieces of DLC are simply weapon packs.

Only get the main game. It is great and you'll get tons of hours out of it. If I remember correctly Lonesome Road was fairly linear and not really worth the purchase in the long run.

uh, there's 6 DLC packs; 4 of them story DLC and 2 of them weapon packs.

Patman99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Patman99

@Animasta: Oh my mistake. I had only played Lonesome Road and didnt care for it much.

Zippedbinders

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#13  Edited By Zippedbinders

Each of the story DLCs add quite a bit to the mythos of the main game. You find out about characters like Ulysses, Father Elijah, and The Burned Man. Its well worth it. Honest Hearts is worth it alone.

UnrealDP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By UnrealDP

Yeah, it's totally worth it, but just skip Dead Money, alright? If you feel you must play it, then just use noclip and godmode to breeze through it. Under no circumstances should you play through Dead Money in earnest.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By WinterSnowblind

Honest Hearts and Old World Blues are amazing. Lonesome Road is worth getting, as it wraps everything up, but it's not as good as those other two.

Dead Money is pretty meh.

lclay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By lclay

Old world blues is absolutely fantastic.

It is the best thing they've done with Fallout since the current gen reboot; it'll have you in stiches and it's a good length (took me more >10 hours to complete)

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By ShaggE

I liked Dead Money, and thought Honest Hearts was painfully dry. Old World Blues was just plain cool, and I haven't played Lonesome Road yet. Still, it's more Fallout, so I recommend them all, unless Lonesome Road is as broken as Mothership Zeta or something.

Avatar image for chadmasterflash
    ChadMasterFlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ChadMasterFlash

If you like New Vegas then you'll like the DLC. I just bought it. I've played it on the xbox and it's all really good. I don't remember any of the being "broke" not like The Pitt anyway.

Avatar image for equitasinvictus
    EquitasInvictus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By EquitasInvictus

@Patman99 said:

@Animasta: Oh my mistake. I had only played Lonesome Road and didnt care for it much.

Yeah, Lonesome Road would be difficult to grasp out of context without playing the other DLC, since a lot of the exposition for Lonesome Road was built up over the course of the preceding stories of Dead Money, Honest Hearts, and Old World Blues. Compared to at least two of its predecessors, there's much less openness behind Lonesome Road in favor of concluding Ulysses' narrative arc that made up the overarching storyline of all the DLC.

The DLC that would stand alone best would probably be Honest Hearts and Old World Blues since they open up new, unique environments with great, individual stories behind them that take from the Fallout: New Vegas lore. The Burned Man, for example, is mentioned in core New Vegas, itself, and he was probably among the most interesting of DLC characters that aren't Ulysses. Also, Old World Blues pretty much gives you a high-tech player home.

@Kombat: I would strongly recommend you get all four DLC and play them in the order of Dead Money -> Honest Hearts -> Old World Blues -> Lonesome Road to get the most out of the overarching story regarding your past with another Courier, Ulysses, who turned down the "Platinum Chip" courier order and caused you to inherit it -- arguably being the catalyst for the exposition of New Vegas itself. Ulysses is a great character, and only getting hints of him via other characters' dialogues and later audio tapes in the DLC leading up to Lonesome Road was great tension building for your final encounter with him. It makes me wonder why he was excluded from the original game in the first place.

Oh, by the way, there's a certain follower you can talk to about the events of Dead Money after you're done with it -- I thought that was a great, little touch.

the8bitNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

User Lists: 2

#20  Edited By the8bitNacho

Thanks for the input guys. I went ahead and bought the GOTY edition.

mitsuko_souma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By mitsuko_souma

This game wasn't even worth the $10 I paid for it, so I would have to say that the DLC is definitely not worth it.

EchoEcho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By EchoEcho

@UnrealDP said:

Yeah, it's totally worth it, but just skip Dead Money, alright? If you feel you must play it, then just use noclip and godmode to breeze through it. Under no circumstances should you play through Dead Money in earnest.

I actually really liked Dead Money. I seem to be in the minority, though.

Jay444111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Jay444111

@EchoEcho said:

@UnrealDP said:

I am with ya... just don't ever under level it and make sure to get the highest level of lockpick and science skill in them... which is actually pretty easy now with all the downloads.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Animasta

@Jay444111 said:

@EchoEcho said:

@UnrealDP said:

I am with ya... just don't ever under level it and make sure to get the highest level of lockpick and science skill in them... which is actually pretty easy now with all the downloads.

dead money is hell to go back to in a second playthrough, though

Jay444111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Jay444111

@Animasta said:

@Jay444111 said:

@EchoEcho said:

@UnrealDP said:

dead money is hell to go back to in a second playthrough, though

I disagree. It is actually way easier to get through on every playthrough when you know what to do. The only hard thing is health items. Also... that fucking demolition book hidden under the bed! FUCK!!! That can take a while to get actually!

Raethen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Raethen

I played through all of the DLC but the one that has stuck with me the most was Old World Blues. It's absurd in a way that only that the Fallout series can be, especially when you take into account the seriousness of every other piece of DLC and the main story line of New Vegas.

My favorite part of OWB has nothing to do with the story it tells or any of the perks you get from it, be they weapons or skills. There is a giant satellite dish at the southern end of the OWB map, at the top is a little crows nest where you can look out over the playable area, and the view is probably my favorite in the game. I sat up there for about an hour and a half, just spinning the camera around from land mark to land mark. As night fell, blue and red spot lights shot into the sky. OWB gave me a chance to step back and reflect on everything that this character that I have spent hundreds of hours with has gone through, the paths that he traveled to make it to the top of that satellite. How bat shit crazy everything, and nearly everybody, was. It made me think about what the series has been and what it could become, what was next for not just the series, but the world that it has created and the people the survive in it. I was also fairly inebriated.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.