Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Fallout: New Vegas

Game » consists of 25 releases. Released Oct 19, 2010

The post-apocalyptic Fallout universe expands into Nevada in this new title in the franchise. As a courier once left for dead by a mysterious man in a striped suit, the player must now set out to find their assailant and uncover the secrets of the enigmatic ruler of New Vegas.

What Is The Best Fallout DLC?

D_Bones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By D_Bones

D_Bones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By D_Bones

I ask because I'm finally getting back into New Vegas after two false starts due mostly to the terrible bugs. So I have played no DLC for either game but am interested in a few. Particularly Point Lookout for Fallout 3 and Old World Blues for New Vegas. But I want to see what the community thinks. And I also think its bullshit that the damn PSN store has not had a sale for these!

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Sackmanjones

Fallout 3: Broken Steel or Point Lookout. While Broken Steel raises the level cap (I don't think Point Lookout does, could be wrong) and fixes the ending I would say go with Point Lookout for the story and small open world. 

Fallout New Vegas: I only played Dead Money which was..... decent. It had some really excellent characters but the playing aspect of it was kind of a drag to me. Unfortunately I didn't play the other ones but I think the overall opinion on NV is that Old World Blues is the best.

Kerned

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Kerned

It was a tough call between Broken Steel and Point Lookout, but I had to go with Broken Steel. The quest line in that is great and Liberty Prime is awesome. Also, Point Lookout loses points because the enemies in the swamp got repetitive and tedious. The new area is great though. Both are well worth playing.

I think all of the Fallout 3 DLC is worth playing, with the possible exception of Mothership Zeta. The premise and setting are good, but it's just not very fun to play.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5  Edited By Animasta

all of the new vegas stuff is worth it (the fallout 3 DLC was less so, only point lookout was really worth it) the best NV DLC is Old World Blues and Lonesome Road; OWB is super funny and has amazing loot, and Lonesome Road characterizes your character pretty well as well as answering some questions about the other DLC (it's worth playing through Dead Money and Old World Blues before Lonesome Road, as there's an overarching story there).

Also sweet loot in LR as well

themangalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By themangalist

Either the Pitt or Lonesome Road. Love me some post-apocalyptic imagery.

audiosnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By audiosnow

@D_Bones: Completing Old World Blues gives you some very valuable perks, especially if you're playing on Hardcore. Very indepth, a ton of story, and almost too much to explore: I left a good deal of the non-critical path untouched.

I played all of the Fallout 3 DLC, and I'm still working to finish New Vegas proper for the first time so I've only played Honest Hearts and Old World Blues.

Broken Steel and Point Lookout are both excellent; PL sticks out more in memory, but I think BS takes the lead, if only because the swamp people in PL are honestly frightening. Mothership Zeta, while not very strong on characters and story, shows you some of the most striking locales.

Between HH and OWB, I think I enjoyed OWB more. Like I said, TONS of story, bizarre characters, and a lot of ground to cover.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Animasta

@mlarrabee: make sure to play through dead money before playing lonesome road. It'll be silly otherwise

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
    deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Old World Blues without a fucking doubt. Best dialogue I've ever heard in a game.

D_Bones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By D_Bones

Huh can't believe people picked dead money thought people didn't like that one.

@mlarrabee: think its weird we're both playing through this broken ass old game now at the same time. Go figure.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Animasta

@D_Bones said:

Huh can't believe people picked dead money thought people didn't like that one.

@mlarrabee: think its weird we're both playing through this broken ass old game now at the same time. Go figure.

Dead Money is a love it or hate it thing. The story, characters, loot, etc? all pretty great. Playing it? Not so much (it's not really that bad but it is quite a bit more annoying than regular combat). I mean it's still better than any of the fallout 3 DLC (of course I'm biased because I don't like Fallout 3) but eh.

Avatar image for equitasinvictus
    EquitasInvictus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By EquitasInvictus

@Animasta said:

@mlarrabee: make sure to play through dead money before playing lonesome road. It'll be silly otherwise

How about Honest Hearts? I always thought there was some sort of chronological threads connecting Dead Money -> Honest Hearts -> Old World Blues -> Lonesome Road.

I'd definitely say that from that entire chronology, though, Lonesome Road tied everything together nicely. It was even better having all the other DLC before it to set up the overarching "conflict" for Lonesome Road.

Too bad they never implemented Ulysses as a vanilla character, though, I think he could've been even more awesome being a factor throughout all of New Vegas's storyline as a rival / potential companion like they originally intended.
    D_Bones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By D_Bones

Oh no! Someone break the New Vegas Tie! I was leaning towards getting OWB but Lonesome is up there as well. What do i do? Also I know that for some of the DLC it says hey you should be level 15 before entering but when did you guys complete the DLC? After you beat the main story? Just because right now i'm sidemissioning like crazy haven't even confronted Benny yet because I don't want to decide until i'm done the majority of side stuff.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Ravenlight

As much as I loved the writing in Old World Blues, I thought the story and atmosphere in Dead Money was superior. Honest Hearts and Lonesome Road were hella disappointing to me.

Morrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By Morrow

I'm torn between Point Lookout and Honest Hearts. PL added a whole new area, a very cool one, and it was very fun playing it. But Honest Hearts has one of my favourite, and probably one of the most memorable Fallout characters ever, added to your game. Joshua Graham. Nuff' said.

My vote went to Honest Hearts.

xMEGADETHxSLY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By xMEGADETHxSLY

Broken Steel Was Crazy A GIANT ROBOT, Point Lookout was nice too.

_Zombie_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By _Zombie_

Point Lookout. Decent story, great new area, and really challenging gameplay.

iceman228433

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By iceman228433

I really liked Point Lookout I thought it nailed what made the base game great and had a amazing tone. I have not played the fallout new vegas DLC but I hear Old World Blues is really good as well.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Animasta

@EquitasInvictus: honest hearts is an outlier to the main story; you get SOME stuff about Ulysses but it's not really tying into that story.

though I love honest hearts because of the loot you get (joshua graham's armor is the best armor, it's both badass and useful)

Nev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#20  Edited By Nev

Old World Blues, it manages to be funny - often pretty tough to find in a game, have great loot, a great story, and great characters.

In Fallout 3, Point Lookout would get my vote, but overall for me Old World Blues takes it.

Pabba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#21  Edited By Pabba

Old World Blues! Some fantastic, quirky writing, and you ultimately get to build a really useful mini base of operations as you play, one you can return to even after the DLC is done.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By WinterSnowblind

I loved Honest Hearts. It added a really great new area and it was an interesting look into an aspect of Fallout that's not really touched on much in any of the other games (the tribals).

Old World Blues and Point Lookout were great as well though.

donkeycow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By donkeycow

The Pitt, because it actually had a pretty well constructed morality question at the end of it which prompted my good aligned character to pick the "evil" option.

Arker101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Arker101

Point Lookout and Old World Blues were both fantastic. I like Old world blues a little more. The comedy and the quests were all so great.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#25  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Point Lookout is easily the best DLC for Fallout 3. I never messed with The Pitt or Mothership Zeta, but I never got the impression that they were very good DLC anyways. I haven't played any of the New Vegas stuff though.

Avatar image for shadowconqueror
    ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By ShadowConqueror

I haven't played any of the New Vegas DLC, but I've played all of Fallout 3's, and Point Lookout is fantastic.

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#27  Edited By JoeyRavn

I know I'll be in a minority here, but I really, really enjoyed Dead Money in New Vegas. Point Lookout was my favorite in Fallout 3.

I love abandoned, isolated places.

PS: Fuck Mothership Zeta. Buggiest piece of DLC that I've ever played.

fjordson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#28  Edited By fjordson

Old World Blues. I just really loved the vibe in that. Everything about it is quintessential Fallout.

But Point Lookout is almost it's equal. Quite an amazing piece of DLC as well.

icicle7x3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By icicle7x3

Hevent touched the New Vegas DLC yet, but ill say Point Lookout for now.

D_Bones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By D_Bones

Ended up getting OWB and am loving it. Didn't expect it to be as big as it is. Also the writing which I was expecting to be alright is actually great. The weapons are also decent and a good excuse to get my energy weapons up. Honestly I haven't gotten far in the main story of New Vegas (screw picking a side that early) but have played a LOT of the side missions (44 hours worth) and OWB is by far the most exciting piece of content so far. So I guess my last question is keep my DLC thoughts pure and don't get another one? Or should I get the next best one?? Which would be *blank. Please bombers help me decide!! Buy more or stay?

Avatar image for thecreamfilling
    TheCreamFilling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By TheCreamFilling

Point Lookout all the way. I haven't played any New Vegas DLC yet though.

HarlechQuinn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By HarlechQuinn

Didn't play the Fallout 3 DLCs as I never finished the main game. But I finished New Vegas and all of it's DLC and therefore my vote goes to Old World Blues... Really enjoyed the writing in this one and the 50s SciFi stuff.

Edit: Oh the OP already decided on Old World Blues (this should teach me to refresh the thread before I send my reply...). Regarding the new question, Lonesome Road was pretty interesting regarding the courier background... But I didn't enjoy the other New Vegas DLCs as much as I enjoyed Old World Blues...

commonoutlier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By commonoutlier

@D_Bones said:

Ended up getting OWB and am loving it. Didn't expect it to be as big as it is. Also the writing which I was expecting to be alright is actually great. The weapons are also decent and a good excuse to get my energy weapons up. Honestly I haven't gotten far in the main story of New Vegas (screw picking a side that early) but have played a LOT of the side missions (44 hours worth) and OWB is by far the most exciting piece of content so far. So I guess my last question is keep my DLC thoughts pure and don't get another one? Or should I get the next best one?? Which would be *blank. Please bombers help me decide!! Buy more or stay?

Well, it depends if you want to keep playing New Vegas or go back to Fallout 3. I know I personally prefer to keep playing the same game rather than jumping around, so here's my opinion on the remaining FNV DLC (note, though, that Old World Blues was my favorite, so you might be disappointed with the others...I probably would have recommended going in order if you intend to play all the DLC, but I suppose it really doesn't matter too much):

Dead Money - In this DLC, you don't get to keep any of your items, so this DLC for me was as close to "scary" as Fallout goes for me...but more like a Minecraft scary where it felt actually dangerous, since you had to rely on the resources around you and the skills you had. I know other people had complaints about this DLC, but I really enjoyed the characters and story...it made me question and challenge the strength/skills of my character in ways the game had not before.

Honest Hearts - There were some cool bits throughout this DLC, but it wasn't as thrilling as the others.

Lonesome Road - I had only been disappointed with this DLC since I had anticipated a completely different back story between the Courier and Ulysses...but it was still pretty fun. I'd recommend that you get more into the actual main story of FNV before you play this one. I think you'll find it more meaningful that way.

I haven't played all the Fallout 3 DLC, so I can't recommend any of those (but I really love that game, too, so I'll go back and play them). Also, though, wait until you finish OWB before you buy any others.

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By GreggD

OWB

XxDarkHeroxX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Although Broken Steel's content is good, the perks really are uncreative on their part. Almost Perfect is the only perk from the DLC worth taking. I'd say Old World Blues, personally due the new perks and traits, as well as the nice content. Nuclear Anomaly lowers the condition of your armor and even kills you if you're playing on Normal or higher. Old World Blues adds a ton of new perks as well as is the only new DLC to add traits. The content is good and it's even really funny in my opinion. The new items are also interesting.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.