Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Fallout: New Vegas

Game » consists of 25 releases. Released Oct 19, 2010

The post-apocalyptic Fallout universe expands into Nevada in this new title in the franchise. As a courier once left for dead by a mysterious man in a striped suit, the player must now set out to find their assailant and uncover the secrets of the enigmatic ruler of New Vegas.

What you hope they change / Implement into Fallout: New Vegas.

CornontheCobbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By CornontheCobbe

So i have just completed Fallout 3 the other day, after many countless days and hours of playing. (102 hours to be precise) I played through the entire main quest-line, side-missions and all of the DLC's the GOTY edition (360) had to offer. I was quite pleased needless to say with how much enjoyment I got out of the game. However i hope there may be some slight changes they could make for Fallout: New Vegas.

His head would probably do more damage than that nail-board.
     His head would probably do more damage than that nail-board.

After a while of trudging through the Wasteland slaying Albino Radscorpions and Mr. Gutsy's with Experimental MIRV's and Rolling Pins, it made me notice how slow the vault dweller actually runs. I am hoping that in Fallout: New Vegas they might enable you to run a bit faster. Especially if it is going to be a bigger game in size. I hated it so much how it took forever to run from the main entrance of Megaton to my house. And that was only the span of a few metres :S

I believe the jumping could also use a bit of work. If you were able to jump a bit higher it may help you get out of some situations, like getting stuck in dumpsters (happened about 4 times in The Pitt) and rocks, the general landscape and whatnot.

Maybe they could implement some of the leveling up system that Oblivion had. If you were to jump more, you could eventually jump higher. Sneak more, and you would level up that ability. What do you think about that?

Can't really think of much else at the moment, but please make some suggestions.
    hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By hatking

Yeah I'd like them to bring the athletics skill from The Elder Scrollsgames over to FalloutThe more you travel the faster you are, the more you jump the higher you can jump.  I'm sure they could do that.  Athletics was always on of my favorite skills in Oblivion, so having it in Falloutwould be great. 

Aside from that I'd like to see a better map system, or just make sure there are no subway tunnels in the game.  Having better directions related to the story driven stuff would be the best thing they could do.  I know many people who never got to see the full story because they had no idea how to find their way around the ruins of the city; who could blame them?  It was a total mess. 

Also the obvious issue of glitches, I think that goes without saying.  I'd suggest a cheat, that is even possible on consoles that teleports you a few feet away or outside of the building you're in.  I understand that people might abuse it, but if they can't design a game where there isn't the constant threat of getting stuck in the geometry then that is their fault.
    OpenWideToSwim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By OpenWideToSwim

dont you just love swimming in a corner 4 mad pointz

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By natetodamax

Combat that isn't mad clunky.

Dustpan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5  Edited By Dustpan

Harold.

MistaSparkle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By MistaSparkle

All I need is a whole new area, quests, weapons, and a shooting mechanic that doesn't kinda suck. Still want VATS too.
    FalconCritical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By FalconCritical

If you have the PC version, take a look at Fallout3Nexus - its pretty safe to say that the (non-adult) mods there that are most popular will be things that would be good refinements.  Things like Marty's Mutant Mod, which adds size, stat and skin colour variations to all mobs in the wasteland, including baby versions and non-hostile normal sized scorpions and such.  Another popular mod that would be nice to see in the base version of Vegas is the weapon upgrading system, where you can add laser sights, scopes, silencers and such to your weapons at a workbench. It really makes the default weapons have a lot more variety.

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8  Edited By MysteriousBob
    @OpenWideToSwim said:
    " dont you just love swimming in a corner 4 mad pointz "
    Exactly the reason why Fallout 3's levelling system was much, much better than Oblivions.
    Whisperkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#9  Edited By Whisperkill

Better gun handling 

oh, and scopes that WORK in V.A.T.S.

WalkerTR77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By WalkerTR77

More beards, I'm talking dragon age variety and beyond. Hairstyles in Fallout 3 were pretty lacking as well.
    ObsideonDarman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#11  Edited By ObsideonDarman

Fix the God damn crappy shooting then we'll talk!

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Tennmuerti
    @CornontheCobbe said:
    Maybe they could implement some of the leveling up system that Oblivion had. If you were to jump more, you could eventually jump higher. Sneak more, and you would level up that ability. What do you think about that?  Can't really think of much else at the moment, but please make some suggestions. "
    @HatKing said:
    "
    Yeah I'd like them to bring the athletics skill from The Elder Scrollsgames over to FalloutThe more you travel the faster you are, the more you jump the higher you can jump.  I'm sure they could do that.  Athletics was always on of my favorite skills in Oblivion, so having it in Falloutwould be great. 
    Yes! Let's continue to rape the Fallout franchise even further!
    It needs to be even more like Oblivion with guns.
    Brians

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Brians

so many places I couldn't get to. I do not want the wide variety of ways to get stuck trying to get somewhere.

FiestaUnicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By FiestaUnicorn

Less buggy bigger world.
    ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#15  Edited By ProfessorEss

I'd be fine if it was very similar.
    Tweak it up and maybe make the overworld a little friendlier to navigate somehow.

jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 13

#16  Edited By jeanluc  Staff

Just fix up the bugs. 

Another issue I have is the graphics engine. Its just gotten to the point were they need a new one, or major modification to it. But because I no its the same one for New Vegas, I'm hoping they change it for the next elder scrolls.

CornontheCobbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By CornontheCobbe
    @Tennmuerti: I never said that I want this, just a thought.
    hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By hatking
    @Tennmuerti said:
    " @CornontheCobbe said:
    Maybe they could implement some of the leveling up system that Oblivion had. If you were to jump more, you could eventually jump higher. Sneak more, and you would level up that ability. What do you think about that?  Can't really think of much else at the moment, but please make some suggestions. "
    @HatKing said:
    "
    Yes! Let's continue to rape the Fallout franchise even further! It needs to be even more like Oblivion with guns. "

Because of a running mechanic?  Seriously you need to hold on tighter to the old way things were done, you aren't quite squeezing the life out of it yet.  While you're at it why do you throw that HDD away, it is only manafest of the advancement of ideas and technology, or a rape of the 16bit era as you might have us believe.  

Seriously though this game quit being the Fallout you know when it switched devs and they modernized it.  There is a balance between rape and development, although the engine is the same as Oblivion the game has very little else to do with it.  Still though I suppose it is easy for you to rationalize your extremist thoughts when you see a picture and the graphics are similar.
    Trilogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#19  Edited By Trilogy
    @natetodamax said:
    " Combat that isn't mad clunky. "
    This. It's the only thing that keeps me from playing fallout 3. It's a bummer because besides the combat portion... I really want to play Fallout 3.
    kishan6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By kishan6
    @HatKing said:
    "
    exactly
    beargirl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#21  Edited By beargirl1

a system to get around faster would be great. i haven't played too much of fallout 3 but the movement.. so slow 

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Tennmuerti

" @HatKing:  
    My complaints with F3 have nothing to do with graphics or with the 16 bit era. In fact if anything I thought the F3 graphics were lackluster, the engine they are using is showing it's age. In fact I have not said anything about graphics before you mentioned it. F3 has little in terms of advancement of ideas or technology. It is basically a very good Oblivion mod. All tech behind it is from previous games exactly. All ideas in it are copy pastes from the F1-2 stitched together quite crudely and without keeping their original quality and purpose.

You said it this game did indeed quit being Fallout when it switched devs, quite true, since Bethesda does not seem to have a clue what the originals were about and what people loved about them. So it pain's my heart that it bears the name of the franchise. Also please do not misunderstand me, F3 is a decent game in my opinion, better then Oblivion I would say even. It just doesn't hold up as part of the series. I played through all games involved extensively, the original F1-2, Oblivion and F3 , all 4 games more then once. So please don't generalise my extremist opinions, that I only looked at the graphics :) 

What I look at much more are the game and system mechanics (rpg nut's and bolts) and dialogue and story elements. If one actually compares the leveling system in all 3 games in depth then the system in F3 can be seen as one already very close to Oblivion, the fact that it looks like the SPECIAL from the originals is quite deceiving as mechanics underneath are the same. What Bethesda did was disable the progression of skill from use, and pulled a skin over it to mimic the SPECIAL more closely. The system even has the exact same limitations as the one used in Oblivion already, 100% on skills max for example, this is not a design similarity, it is mechanically impossible to have it more then 100% due to underlying mechanics being copy pasted. Ranged and melee combat flow is another example where the same flawed system is still used (albeit refined a tad) people don't enjoy the way shooting feels in F3 is one of the common complaints, guess what, ranged combat was never a strong suit of Morrowind/Oblivion. That's why guns feel almost just like a model change with faster arrows that look like bullets. Item degradation, exactly the same. Dialogue system, almost unchanged (minus influence wheel).

@CornontheCobbe@HatKing:  
    My initial objection to the proposed suggestion, I admit is a bit crude and harsh.
    I will try to rationalize it a bit more.
    What you propose is not simply a "running mechanic" . it is not a small little thing but a change in the current skill progression system in F3 that would work similarly to Oblivion.
    Leveling skills as you use them.
    You cannot have 1 skill subject to completely different rule set from the rest. (Well you can but it would be a lot of work and weird)
    "Well all your skills are increased by spending points after gaining a level" "But this one is special, it will increase as you use it" ?
    It would require simultaneous work of 2 progression systems as well. Either that or molding it back to the way it was in Oblivion.
    "Maybe they could implement some of the leveling up system that Oblivion had."
    " The more you travel the faster you are, the more you jump the higher you can jump."
    Implementation of old mechanics is exactly what you are asking for guys.
    This is why I wrote what I did, because you are suggesting the game to be more like Oblivion, where there are too many similarities for comfort already imho

@CornontheCobbe said:

" @Tennmuerti: I never said that I want this, just a thought. "

You made a thread titled "What you hope they change/implement" and have posted your thoughts/sugestions. Are you saying you do not want what you suggested?
    nail1080

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By nail1080

I was never lost in FO3, I was never glitched in a place and unable to progress, and I was never stuck plaing the shit console version for too long as I have it on PC with loads of amazing mods.

cancerdancer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By cancerdancer
    @AjayRaz said:
    " a system to get around faster would be great. i haven't played too much of fallout 3 but the movement.. so slow  "
    You do realize there is a fast travel system right? Just open up your world map, pick a place you've been and you can warp there.
    tearhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 52

#25  Edited By tearhead

Maybe make it less busted than Fallout 3. I loved that game to death, but, damn, that game had bugs ranging from minor annoyance to game breaker. I had many instances in Fallout 3 where I couldn't continue a quest because of the retarded AI not playing their part in a scripted event. Oh, and have some sort of "warp to player" feature for when a follower eventually becomes brain-dead and keeps running into a wall/rock/corner.

floodiastus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#26  Edited By floodiastus
    @Trilogy said:
    " @natetodamax said:
    This. It's the only thing that keeps me from playing fallout 3. It's a bummer because besides the combat portion... I really want to play Fallout 3. "
    Main problem with combat is that strafing gives wierd jumpy slowdowns to your movement, atleast on PC. Cept for that combat works pretty good
    Trilogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#27  Edited By Trilogy
    @floodiastus said:

" @Trilogy said:

" @natetodamax said:
    This. It's the only thing that keeps me from playing fallout 3. It's a bummer because besides the combat portion... I really want to play Fallout 3. "
    Main problem with combat is that strafing gives wierd jumpy slowdowns to your movement, atleast on PC. Cept for that combat works pretty good "
    I dunno man, I'm just not hot on the combat outside of the vats system. When you're using vats it feels ok but when you're out of points the regular shooting just feels off. 

Regardless, I went back to fallout 3 recently to give it a fair shake and I'm liking it  more than I did the first time I played it.
    floodiastus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By floodiastus
    @Trilogy said:
    " @floodiastus said:

" @Trilogy said:

" @natetodamax said:
    Main problem with combat is that strafing gives wierd jumpy slowdowns to your movement, atleast on PC. Cept for that combat works pretty good "
    I dunno man, I'm just not hot on the combat outside of the vats system. When you're using vats it feels ok but when you're out of points the regular shooting just feels off.   Regardless, I went back to fallout 3 recently to give it a fair shake and I'm liking it  more than I did the first time I played it. "
    Problem with the shooting is that accuracy is affected by your skills, I haven't seen a single game pull that one off properly yet, feeling tight but also relying on stats. Anyways I just did the same, started playing the game of the year edition again from scratch and im now playing it on PC which feels alot better than playing it on a console. Not least cuz its running at like 100 fps with my new graphics card :D
    Lamashtu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Lamashtu

I'd really like to see better animations (As someone on the 1up podcasts said, you didn't run in Oblivion and Fallout 3 so much as you glided on the ground), especially for when talking to people. I really went "grrrr..." when I learned that Obsidian was using the exact same engine for New Vegas and it really annoyed me how Bethesda didn't change that creepy as fuck fashion of people staring at you while talking (Bioware is only a tiny bit better and their games are famous for dialogue sequences for Christ's sake). To see how talking to people in an RPG is done right, play Vampire - The Masquerade: Bloodlines.
    Ryax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Ryax

Fun

bigall94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#31  Edited By bigall94

1. Faster walking for sure, but not too fast. They want you to see everything. 
    2. Less clunky combat. VATS works, but it always amounts to shoot shoot VATS for the head shoot shoot. 
    3. More incentive to do side quests. It was better than most RPG's, and most people loved them, but most of the side quests just BORED ME. 
    4. FIX THE BUGS AND PRESENTATION FOR THE LOVE OF GOD. Make characters talking animate some more PLEASE, we don't like talking heads. Also, make movement animations a bit more dynamic. If people walk  into each other, they will bend and try to slide by, not walk with their back perfectly straight. The same applies to the player character in third person. If you need an example, go third person and try jumping sideways. So bad. 
    5. A more interesting main quest. It was fairly cool, but it always seemed like something I had to do for more money to get equipment for side quests that were awesome. Summary in one sentence: A dude lives in a vault with his scientist dad who leaves and, when he finds him, they can work together to try and fix everything or the dude can RUIN everything in this already ruined world. 
    6. Better inventory management. I played the last part of the story last night, and I seriously spent an hour emptying my house locker, cleaning my inventory, repairing, selling stuff, and running back and forth from the shop to my house. 
    Gosh I want New Vegas to be out so badly.

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

I want a game with Fallout's world RPG trappings but with Borderland's multiplayer and combat, 

That won't be this game, but it's still a nice dream.

trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#33  Edited By trophyhunter

better clothes/armor 
    better hair and facial hair

Quacktastic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Quacktastic

The repair/durability system.  Weapons should either last a lot longer or be easier to repair.  Or both.

mshaw006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By mshaw006

I hope to god they don't block off certain areas of the map like they did in Fallout 3. After VATS, not being able to get around in the downtown area was the worst part of that game. Or, they could just fix the waypoint system. One or the other.

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Ghostiet
    @HatKing said:
    "
    Yeah I'd like them to bring the athletics skill from The Elder Scrollsgames over to FalloutThe more you travel the faster you are, the more you jump the higher you can jump.  I'm sure they could do that.  Athletics was always on of my favorite skills in Oblivion, so having it in Falloutwould be great. "

This post almost gave me a stroke.

No, please, don't. Don't even say that. No. They make that an it's all like a TGV from now on - we get Speech that gets better when we talk with people.

Fallout's system has many flaws, wether it's 1/2 or 3, but the TES system is just so insanely prone to abuse and nonsense I don't want to see it in games that I might play.

@HatKing said:

" Seriously though this game quit being the Fallout you know when it switched devs and they modernized it. "
    No, it quit being the Fallout we know the moment Bethesda's writers got their hands on it. The gameplay of F3 is the least of problems for me, it's a good modernisation, though the combat is too janky at points and they've fucked up adapting the SPECIAL system, but that's stuff you can fix easily. You can't learn sense of humor, though, or a sense of logic - the whole Enclave deal, most of the dialogue and that fucking ending are the things that ruined F3 for me. Ironic, because the beggining was very promising.

It's Obsidian making New Vegas, so I don't have hopes for it. Fix the combat, give us a good construction set on the PC, make a good story and we'll have a Fallout game worthy of the title.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

Less bugs? Not to toss out buggy DLC for the consoles.

Rebirth1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Rebirth1337

If your expecting a FPS out of Fallout your out of luck. New Vegas uses the same engine and I'm pretty sure it will still control the same. And the Oblivion leveling system was terrible.

Wickstrom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Wickstrom

Since we're on the topic of Oblivion, what if New Vegas had an arena-type area where you could fight against Raiders, radscorpions, and other enemies for caps. That'd be awesome!

CornontheCobbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By CornontheCobbe
    @Wickstrom: I like the Idea. They sort of had something like that slightly in Fallout 3's DLC The Pitt if you have not played the GOTY. 

Not very extensive though. Vats made it piss easy!
    Wickstrom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Wickstrom
    @CornontheCobbe: I planned on buying the GOTY Edition, but I went to Best Buy right after Christmas and all they had in stock was the standard edition, and I didn't want to wait for more to get in stock.
    Avatar image for organicalistic_
    Organicalistic_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Organicalistic_
    @MysteriousBob said:
    " @OpenWideToSwim said:
    Exactly the reason why Fallout 3's levelling system was much, much better than Oblivions. "
    what is the deal with that??

also awesome, master shake
    Authun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#43  Edited By Authun

I really want them to have a better radio. Big, open world games NEED a good radio in my opinion. Have more channels with more music and please, in build functionality for a custom radio station!

AlwaysAngry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By AlwaysAngry

An AlwaysAngry difficulty level. It will be below easy, and you will be exempt from dieing.

MrSnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By MrSnow

Better shooting.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.