Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Fallout: New Vegas

Game » consists of 25 releases. Released Oct 19, 2010

The post-apocalyptic Fallout universe expands into Nevada in this new title in the franchise. As a courier once left for dead by a mysterious man in a striped suit, the player must now set out to find their assailant and uncover the secrets of the enigmatic ruler of New Vegas.

Wild Wasteland Trait: the weirdest thing you seen?

NickLott

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 12

#1  Edited By NickLott

(possible spoilers for people that want to be surprised.) 

I haven't played that long but so far the only thing I've come across is the skeleton in a refrigerator with an Indiana Jones hat. Anyone see anything crazy? 

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @nicklott said:
    "  (possible spoilers for people that want to be surprised.)  I haven't played that long but so far the only thing I've come across is the skeleton in a refrigerator with an Indiana Jones hat. Anyone see anything crazy?  "
    Its an easter egg. Its supposed to be from the last Indian Jones Movie. There was another thread on it. 
    Itwastuesday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Itwastuesday

All of the ones I've found have been movie references. I found the refrigerator, I found Owen and Beru (luke skywalker's aunt and uncle) as skeletons in the wasteland, and I found the Holy Frag Grenades (there's 3 of them, they do ridiculous damage).

finstern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By finstern
    @Itwastuesday: nabbed a screenshot 

Dunno why my arms go like that some times
     Dunno why my arms go like that some times
    Itwastuesday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Itwastuesday

Especially with all of the warnings about how zany the wasteland would be, I thought it would be far wackier than it has been.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#6  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

I don't think it gets any weirder than being awarded the Pimp Boy 3 Billion.

To be honest though, I wish I could go back to the original Pip-Boy because it's a little annoying how the light reflects off of it when you're looking at it.

Venatio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By Venatio
    @Chaser324 said:
    " I don't think it gets any weirder than being awarded the Pimp Boy 3 Billion.  To be honest though, I wish I could go back to the original Pip-Boy because it's a little annoying how the light reflects off of it when you're looking at it. "
    What's the Pimp boy 3 billion?
    Burns09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By Burns09
    @Chaser324:  Please enlighten us, it sounds great.
    chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By chaser324  Moderator
    luce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By luce
    @Burns09:
    @Venatio:

the pimp boy 
    jtmosh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By jtmosh
    @Chaser324 said:
    " I don't think it gets any weirder than being awarded the Pimp Boy 3 Billion.  To be honest though, I wish I could go back to the original Pip-Boy because it's a little annoying how the light reflects off of it when you're looking at it. "
    You can. Just go back and talk to the guy you got it from.
    chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By chaser324  Moderator
    @JTMosh: 
    I'll definitely be doing that. It was a good surprise and pretty funny, but the reflections coming off of it are really annoying.
    Burns09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Burns09
    Avatar image for ulquiorraschiffer
    UlquiorraSchiffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

I was accosted by a group of old ladies carrying rolling pins in the ghetto of Freeside.

OdinsThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By OdinsThunder
    @UlquiorraSchiffer said:
    " I was accosted by a group of old ladies carrying rolling pins in the ghetto of Freeside. "
    Did you sex them?
    UlquiorraSchiffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If by "sex" you mean: decapitate and then throw their heads in the dumpster, then yes. Yes i did.

Malakhii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Malakhii
    @UlquiorraSchiffer said:
    " I was accosted by a group of old ladies carrying rolling pins in the ghetto of Freeside. "
    They were all smoking cigs too, this was definitely the highlight for me, I was laughing for a while after it happened. I gave Veronica one of their dresses and she thanked me :) 
    UlquiorraSchiffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Malakhii said:
    " @UlquiorraSchiffer said:
    They were all smoking cigs too, this was definitely the highlight for me, I was laughing for a while after it happened. I gave Veronica one of their dresses and she thanked me :)  "
    Oh yeah! I remember finding cigarettes on their corpses now. They all had really weird names as well. Can't recall them at the moment...
    Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#19  Edited By Vinny_Says
    @UlquiorraSchiffer said:
    there's a non ghetto side to Freeside? Also the same thing happened to me it was near the train station. Also I got the Pimp Boy 3000000 from the shop there.
    Malakhii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Malakhii
    @UlquiorraSchiffer:   
      Apparently it's a reference to this Monty Python sketch. Pretty sad I didn't realize it, especially considering I literally watched this episode two days ago....
    UlquiorraSchiffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@blacklabeldomm: 
    Oh damn, haven't looked in that shop yet. That's the pawn shop correct?
    UlquiorraSchiffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Malakhii: Ooooohhh yeaaahhhh..... My roommate mentioned that at the time but I didn't place it until rewatching that.
    Phantom_Crash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Phantom_Crash

Geriatrics are dangerous in numbers.

milpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By milpool
    @UlquiorraSchiffer said:
    This happened to me too, in Freeside.  I did not select the Wild Wasteland trait. 

I might select it if i do a second playthrough, the differences will probably stick out more after experiencing the non-wild wasteland.
    zegolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By zegolf
    @UlquiorraSchiffer said:
    " @Malakhii said:
    " @UlquiorraSchiffer said:
    They were all smoking cigs too, this was definitely the highlight for me, I was laughing for a while after it happened. I gave Veronica one of their dresses and she thanked me :)  "
    Oh yeah! I remember finding cigarettes on their corpses now. They all had really weird names as well. Can't recall them at the moment... "
    The only one I remember was "Irate Ida" and only because it just happened to me last night.
    smcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By smcn
    @Itwastuesday said:
    " All of the ones I've found have been movie references. I found the refrigerator, I found Owen and Beru (luke skywalker's aunt and uncle) as skeletons in the wasteland, and I found the Holy Frag Grenades (there's 3 of them, they do ridiculous damage). "
    First shalt thou get the Wild Wasteland trait, then shalt thou obtain three Holy Frag Grenades, no more, no less. Three shall be the number of Holy Frag Grenades, and the number of Holy Frag Grenades shall be three. Four shalt thou not obtain, neither obtain thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. Five is right out. Once the number three, being the number of Holy Frag Grenades, be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Frag Grenade towards thy foe, who being naughty in my sight, shall snuff it.
    FongGhoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By FongGhoul

So Wild Wasteland is two Monty Python references, one Star Wars reference, and an Indiana Jones reference? That's kind of disappointing. 

Was Fallout 2's "wackiness" just pop culture references as well?
    turbo_toaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#28  Edited By turbo_toaster
    @FongGhoul said:
    " So Wild Wasteland is two Monty Python references, one Star Wars reference, and an Indiana Jones reference? That's kind of disappointing.  Was Fallout 2's "wackiness" just pop culture references as well? "
    And two Something Awful references. That's all we know about right now.
    kraznor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 12

#29  Edited By kraznor
    @UlquiorraSchiffer said:

Yeah, nothing weirder than that for me so far. There was one that I honestly couldn't tell if anything had happened. A couple train cars were tipped over near where I was standing and then the music cue hit. Still no idea what they were trying to call attention to with that one.
    Summit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Summit

Crazy old ladies with rolling pins, the body in the fridge (Indiana Johnes reference), the 2 burnt bodies, a Robocop reference if you frame heck gundersen for the death of his kid in the ultra lux's "beyond the beef" quest, a startrek reference during the quest with Ambasitor Crocker where he wants you to help with "The Kings'"(specifily Pacer's)  dislike of the NCR (i laughed for about 2 minutes followed by 5-10 of giggle fits), an unexploded bomb near the Devils Throat with a prize inside(buzz lightyear reference), and (my personal favorite) a hovering ailien spaceship direcly east of Brooks Tumbleweed Ranch compleat with 3 authentic E.T. impersonators. I HIGHLY suggest you look into the alien spaceship, pay particular interest to the capitan (dont want to spoil the suprise).  

Apperently theres 16 "Official" modifications from the perk (which means you know theres a crap ton more). Oh I totaly forgot, if you take Rex as a companion (why the hell wouldn't you?) he will at some start grownling for no reason (or he did for me, i might be wrong though because i was slaughtering cottonwood cove at the time), If you talk to him he will answer with "AROOO?!" (it will be his respons for the convo prompting instead of <pant pant pant> or what ever it is normaly), what follows speaks for itself. Thats all I'll say on that (i refuse to ruin this one), It was so good it almost made the game worth buying on its own. 

By the way, when ever you see "..." pop up where the "saving game" and  "gained/lost karma" thing pops up you know its a wild wasteland modification.

Oh sidenote: hit up the "Crashed Vertabird" around the south east end of the map. Its not a wild wasteland bonus but its worth the trip (bring alot of stimpacks, ammo, and pulse granades if you have them).  If you go south from Mathews Animal Husbandry Farm (wow... I didnt pick up on that till just now) to about the end of the map you should find it (or have the explorer perk).  

on my 4th playthrough. gotta know all the different storylines... Is it too late to seek treatment? 

Edit: forgot to mention that it also plays some alienish music from time to time for no reason (atleast none that i've found). Total "mothership zeta" reference.

Killboyy777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Killboyy777

has anyone else seen the securitrons in new vegas, carving the phrase, "The Sun is Killing Me" into a brick wall with their laser beams?

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By TheGreatGuero

I ran into my 2nd one early on, and I'm sure others have seen it, but I didn't understand the joke or reference. Basically it was south of Goodsprings, near the wells, up in the mountains. I ran into some guy who wanted me to save his girlfriend from those gecko things (I can't remember what they're called). Anyway, past some bear traps overlooking this cliff, there's like a table with a radio and there's some playing cards on the table. Then there's 5 red shiny bouncy balls right there. I ended up knocking them down, but yeah, I didn't understand the reference at all. It just seemed very odd to me. Anyone know what that was all about?

Wiseblood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Wiseblood
    @TheGreatGuero:  That's kind of an obscure one.  It's a reference to a failed attempt by some members of the Something Awful forums (which JE Sawyer frequents) to make their own RPG called the "Zybourne Clock".  It was the target of much ridicule on the forums.   The corpse in FO:NV is suppose to be "Johnny Five-Aces". 
    ShinjiEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#34  Edited By ShinjiEx

It just informs you when something "odd" happens

Either way the "odd" thing would be there you just would not know about it or you would

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#35  Edited By ArbitraryWater
    @FongGhoul said:
     Was Fallout 2's "wackiness" just pop culture references as well?
    Yep. All of Fallout 2's humor was derived from random nerd pop-culture references. The Bridgekeeper, the TARDIS, and some other things as well. One reason why I like the first game better.
    Summit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Summit

Finnaly beat all possible endings. Found a new perk modification while i was at it. I dont want to ruin it but when you get to the finaly battle at "enter location here" immidiatly turn on the NCR broadcast. I had to pause it a couple times to regain my composure from laughter, hard to pop heads with a jumpy sniper.

ClaritySam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By ClaritySam

There's some latin Grafiti on the wall of Cottonwood Cove HQ.  Don't know what it means.

Aishan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Aishan
    @ClaritySam: It's a reference to The Life of Brian, where he gets accosted by a Roman guard and admonished for his poor Latin grammar.  

It's meant to say (roughly) "Romans go home."
    FiZi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By FiZi
    @UlquiorraSchiffer said:

Same thing happened to me and I managed to cap it.  Also behold the broken AI of Fallout:NV (third old lady just walks away in the middle of combat).

If you want to watch it in HD the source is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54ePa9bDXr8

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.