Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Fallout

Franchise »

The Fallout franchise is a post-apocalyptic series of role-playing and tactics games originally developed by Black Isle, and most recently, Bethesda Softworks and Obsidian Entertainment.

Never played Fallout

TheRookie727

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Hey duders, I never played Falout 3 or New Vegas and since they are on sale right now in steam I was wondering which one to buy. Also what mods should I get for either game. Thanks!

bacon420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I really enjoyed Fallout 3 so I would start with that. New Vegas is a better game mechanically so it would be harder to play that and then go back to Fallout 3. You may however see a deeper discount during the steam summer sale (next week maybe?).

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#3 FinalDasa  Moderator

New Vegas felt more goofy (even having a strange occurrences setting) but on the surface level they're both very similar. Fans will almost certainly say New Vegas but my heart sits with Fallout 3.

That said I totally bought New Vegas on Steam.

Avatar image for oscar__explosion
    Oscar__Explosion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I didnt care much for Fallout 3 but loved my time with New Vegas so I say go with that.

jjm494

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Having played Fallout 1 and 2 when they originally came out, I found New Vegas to be the follow up I had wanted for so ling. If you played Fallout one and two, go right to New Vegas. If you haven't, taken the following into consideration: Fallout 3 has a better open world to explore and New Vegas has a better main story and side quests.

Hope that helps.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

Both. Those two games are very divisive. For what it's worth, I found Fallout 3's world way more interesting.

Rejizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By Rejizzle

Personally I think Fallout 3 is better than New Vegas, if only because I like the story more. If you like one game then you'll probably enjoy the other. For mods there are some cool survival ones where the game's more difficult and you need to drink water and such, but I'd probably just play it vanilla to start.

Lost_Remnant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd say New Vegas is the better game, but I enjoyed both as they are separately. I'd play Fallout 3 first and then New Vegas, it wouldn't be impossible but New Vegas added some better stuff such as companion wheels, a lot more weapons, iron sights, ammo types for guns, more unique perks and bringing back traits from the older Fallouts. It would make 3 seem a bit lacking if you played that second, at least in my eyes.

AwesomeOnsum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By AwesomeOnsum

If you haven't gotten them yet, wait until next week! The games should be cheaper in the summer sale, they're not as heavily discounted as usual right now.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By mike

There are mods for both Fallout 3 and New Vegas that can significantly improve the experience one can have in both games. I recommend looking into those before you start either game, just in case you find something that you really want to use. If you're not keen on doing anything that will alter gameplay at all, there are some very well done texture packs and weapon mod kits that are a ton of fun.

For Fallout 3, I recommend the Fallout 3 Wanderers Edition. For New Vegas, I recommend Project Nevada and Nevada Skies.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

What's your history with mid-late 90s games? Fallout 1 & 2 are still great; Fallout 2 especially still holds up great and has very good, very easy to install high resolution mods.

Of the two modern Fallouts, I always found Fallout 3 to be a stronger environmental story teller whereas New Vegas had more interesting dialogue.

You can't really go wrong with any of the four in my opinion.

Niceanims

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

3 will probably be more relevant to 4. Play that.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

First, I would wait until E3 and find out if we're getting a release of Fallout 4 this year. I find it hard to go back to these games, but I'm unsure if it's because they haven't aged well, or because I've already put a ridiculous number of hours into them.

There was a pretty widespread bug in New Vegas on PC that would basically freeze the game during every load screen. I don't think there was ever an official patch for it. I had already played the game on consoles, so I didn't put a lot of effort into correcting it, but I suppose you could find some kind of work-around for it, be it a mod, or an .ini file edit, or whatever. The game is improved over Fallout 3, but it has a lot of technical issues that drag it down.

Fallout 3 is a more polished, less messy experience...

I paused in the middle of writing there to look up the prices of the sale on Steam. You should just buy them both at that cheap.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I enjoyed 3 more then New Vegas. NV seemed to handle it's story better, but I found the map to be more restrictive and thought it had a handle full of half backed gameplay mechanics(Who the fuck ever used the ammo creation system? It was stupid).

Hayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Hayt

New Vegas has much better everything than Fallout 3.

IceNDice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#16  Edited By IceNDice

I would probably play 3 since it might refer more to that, although I did enjoy New Vegas more. Anyways, you should play both, 3 first then New Vegas after.

dkessler175

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've played 3 a few times through. And just started New Vegas today. I don't think you can go wrong with either. V.A.T.S. Is still satisfying and both games hold up. I agree with the reader above thinking 3 will most likely tie into 4 especially since it is located in a similar region.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#18  Edited By bybeach

Both are good games. I favored Fallout 3 a little better, though a mod for New Vegas might have changed that opinion if I had tried it. And I am only pushing opinion.

Loved going across the wasteland at night, alone....But I did take to a late game character in Fallout 3. I won't discuss some illogic at the end.

Avatar image for soimadeanaccount
    soimadeanaccount

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Having played both but never finished any one of them I don't remember them having too different gameplay mechanics.

What's interesting is the amount of people putting FO3 over FO:NV here. I thought I remember people HATED FO3 when it came out.

Avatar image for anonymous_jesse
    Anonymous_Jesse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love Fallout 3. NV is fine.

TheRookie727

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks for the responses guys, probably buying fallout 3 then.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Spoonman671

@soimadeanaccount said:

Having played both but never finished any one of them I don't remember them having too different gameplay mechanics.

What's interesting is the amount of people putting FO3 over FO:NV here. I thought I remember people HATED FO3 when it came out.

The only people who hated Fallout 3 at launch were Fallout purists that wanted it to be an isometric game.

maginnovision

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought NV was a much better fallout game in every way it could be. No idea about mods though, never used them. The side stuff in NV was almost always better too, but there was some cool stuff in 3. Can't go wrong really, both good games.

Danteveli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 30

Fallout New Vegas is closer to the true concept of Fallout games and it was made by people who know something about the franchise. I would go with it.

NinjaPartTime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Has anyone tried Tale of Two Wastelands? You have to own 3 and NV but it combines both games to the NV engine along with some changes. I've been meaning to try it but always put it off. I'm going to see if I can get it working.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

I think New Vegas is the better game, but I think playing Fallout 3 will give you a better idea of how Bethesda is going to write and structure the 4th one.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.