Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Fallout

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Sep 30, 1997

A critically acclaimed role-playing game developed by Black Isle Studios and Tim Cain in 1997, Fallout established itself as a prominent post-apocalyptic universe with a dark sense of humor.

Fallout 4: ''It's going to take a while''

• 71 results
    pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By pyrodactyl

Well that sucks: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/02/18/apparently-we-wont-hear-about-fallout-4-for-a-while/#more-190247

But surely an announcement is just around the corner, right? Right? That’s where things get strange. While one might expect Bethesda to be gearing up for a big reveal, Howard sure made it sound like very little is on the horizon for the time being. Things, he seemed to suggest, are still in a rather experimental phase.

“We don’t [have a timeframe for our next game announcement],” he said, “but I think it’s gonna be a while.”

Maybe the annoucement of fallout 4 at E3 was a little optimistic. I bet if we get anything it'll be like the skyrim teaser. Read: a very short CG video with no real value. Bummer.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

Eh, I'm fine with that. Can't say Bethesda has knocked my socks off withbanybof their recent releases.

Alucitary

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Seems like a pretty common phenomenon surrounding these new consoles. Let's hope all this waiting is worth it.

Steadying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Steadying

I still find it kinda funny that their first new next gen game won't be an Elder Scrolls. That would be way more fitting, but I know they gotta get Fallout out of the way before they make another one of those.

Also, I'd be totally fine with a tiny teaser trailer like Skyrim had. I must have watched that thing like a trillion times after it was released.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Huh, I read the title as "Fable 4 is going to take awhile" for some reason.

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

Huh, I read the title as "Fable 4 is going to take awhile" for some reason.

That's because they're the same game! *dun dun duuuuuuuuuun*

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

let them take their time, the bar has been raised so high now, that they have to really nail it with the next game.

VierasTalo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I bet if we get anything it'll be like the skyrim teaser. Read: a very short CG video with no real value. Bummer.

Oh, you mean like the teasers to the prior Bethesda-published Fallout-games?

Prepare for zoom-outs with old folk songs!

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

This stinks, could use a new Bethesda game soon, replaying skyrim isn't as fun or memorable as the first time

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@vierastalo said:

@pyrodactyl said:

I bet if we get anything it'll be like the skyrim teaser. Read: a very short CG video with no real value. Bummer.

Oh, you mean like the teasers to the prior Bethesda-published Fallout-games?

Prepare for zoom-outs with old folk songs!

While they didn't show much in either case, both the Fallout teaser/announcement and the Skyrim teaser/announcement were dripping with atmosphere. Plus they both got a lot of people excited so, mission accomplished, I suppose.

Avatar image for bombcastgoldthwait
    BombcastGoldthwait

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrfluke: Yeah, I really have no problem waiting. I'd rather wait for a good game,than play an alright game sooner.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 66

#12  Edited By ArbitraryWater

All of their games have been spaced around 3 years apart since Morrowind, which means that Fallout 4 would come out this year if they stayed on pattern.

As far as I'm concerned, they can take all the time they want if they can make an open world Bethesda game that doesn't have awful, clunky combat.

Icemo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fallout 4 is the next Half-life 3. New Elder Scrolls coming up spring 2016.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@steadyingmeat: I don't know if fallout has something that can make you go ''HOLY SHIT DRAGONS'' at what was in essence a moving CG stone mural. We already know it's in boston so there is not much they can do with a teaser. Gameplay would be cool but that seems really unlikely.

Lukeweizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I'm fine with that. Do your thing, Bethy.

SomberOwl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I'd imagine they want to give the ElderScrolls MMO some breathing room anyway. I'm okay with not having a new Fallout game any time soon.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@icemo said:

The only problem with this logic is that Bethesda still wants to make video games.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@icemo said:

The only problem with this logic is that Bethesda still wants to make video games.

I also get the feeling that valve is over the whole video game thing. Now it's all about crazy F2P economy, tools to analyse addiction (*cough* Brad *cough*) and the VR future.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

Gives me time to play NV.

Also, maybe they're doing more QA work. They need to do more QA work.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

It's one thing to acknowledge that these things take hell of large amounts of time, but they should at least be honest about what they're making. We all know it's Fallout, and they should just admit it and give a relative time scale. If the game's not going to be out for three years, they should tell us that.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Well that's a damn shame. Hopefully when they do announce something it'll knock our socks off.

jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By jkz

Eh, I hope Bethesda takes their time. It'd be nice to see some more significant changes, given the new hardware's available power and the degree to which that can benefit open world games specifically.

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#23  Edited By BaneFireLord

Uuuuuuuuuuuuuugh.

Avatar image for awesomeusername
    awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@steadyingmeat: Well Elder Scrolls Online is coming to PS4 and X1. Unless you mean an ES game made internally by Bethesda, then they haven't announced a game. Unless I'm misreading your comment.

Steadying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@awesomeusername: Assuming they don't surprise everybody and make a new " IP ", their next internally developed game is almost certainly going to be Fallout 4 and not ES VI, they don't really need to announce anything.

Vahleticar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Vahleticar

Bethesda bought ID software, then they have the IDTech engine am I right? I remember reading that engine doesn't work well with large open areas. I'm not too clued up in this but I would assume they are working on some project other than Fallout with that IDtech engine. Animations in Rage were awesome, i hope that whatever team they have absorbed will use the tools and knowhow on their later games. Only god knows what they are doing, i think there are some smart people at bethesda and will do the right thing. I expect they will announce something later this year. Yes its time for a new fallout following the timeline but Im holding on till 2016/17. whether I want to or not

mikey87144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think they're lying. Expect an announcement at E3.

I never understand game companies keeping sequels that everyone knows is coming secret.

Mortuss_Zero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Bummer

Avatar image for singingmenstrual
    SingingMenstrual

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fallout 4 and Witcher 3 being delayed, nothing but more polish and more content, I like.

@icemo said:

BURN!

RazielCuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By RazielCuts

I never understand game companies keeping sequels that everyone knows is coming secret.

Yeah, I'm hoping this is the case. Like Pitchford saying 'We don't know what we're working on, it's not Borderlands 2' when asked then a month later announces, 'We're working on Borderlands 2!' It's like, well of course you are. I do trust Howard more though but it's the dance I guess publishers and developers like to do, to not ruin their intricate marketing plans.

My wonder is, which stage will it be announced on, Sony or Microsoft? To me (out of the consoles) Bethesda games have always skewed towards Xbox as their games actually work there. But then maybe they'd pull a switcharoo and have it at Sony's to say like 'Hey, we can work on a Sony platform too y'know! Please be excited.'

Vahleticar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bethesda's big enough at this point to put the announcement on their site. From what i understand the games suffered on the PS3 because of poor dev kits roughly translated from japanese, 256 vram and 256 main ram split, tricky to code for cell processor

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Ghostiet

I won't be interested as long as they don't announce that Obsidian is writing it.

Vahleticar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Vahleticar

Obsidian's writing in new vegas was excellent, they fall over on the technical side. Bethesda own Arcane Studios and ID software if im not mistaken so i wonder who fill develop this

erhard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe they'll actually release a polished game this time. Just joking, that's never going to happen.

e30bmw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Obsidian's writing in new vegas was excellent, they fall over on the technical side. Bethesda own Arcane Studios and ID software if im not mistaken so i wonder who fill develop this

It will Bethesda proper developing this. ID is working on Doom 4 and IIRC, Arcane has like 2 project they are working on right now.

Vahleticar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@e30bmw said:

@vahleticar said:

It will Bethesda proper developing this. ID is working on Doom 4 and IIRC, Arcane has like 2 project they are working on right now.

That settles it then. Todd Howards team for Fallout 4 release Nov 2016 with all "new" Creation engine 2.0! Ha!

mikey87144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mikey87144 said:

Yeah, I'm hoping this is the case. Like Pitchford saying 'We don't know what we're working on, it's not Borderlands 2' when asked then a month later announces, 'We're working on Borderlands 2!' It's like, well of course you are. I do trust Howard more though but it's the dance I guess publishers and developers like to do, to not ruin their intricate marketing plans.

My wonder is, which stage will it be announced on, Sony or Microsoft? To me (out of the consoles) Bethesda games have always skewed towards Xbox as their games actually work there. But then maybe they'd pull a switcharoo and have it at Sony's to say like 'Hey, we can work on a Sony platform too y'know! Please be excited.'

Pitchford got weirdly angry about the news "leaking" early about the existence of the game. Like really weirdly angry. I'm astounded that you can get upset about something everyone knows exists.

viking_funeral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

I didn't find New Vegas to be any more or less buggy than Fallout 3 on release. I think the journalistic and fan narrative is there that Obsidian releases buggy games, so they got a lot more shit for it. But that's one guy's experience.

Sacui

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

@vahleticar said:

I didn't find New Vegas to be any more or less buggy than Fallout 3 on release. I think the journalistic and fan narrative is there that Obsidian releases buggy games, so they got a lot more shit for it. But that's one guy's experience.

Yeah. I went directly from FO3 to NV, and the only issue was that the luster had worn off of the experience. Even though it was similar on a technical level and heads above FO3 in terms of mechanics, writing and gameplay systems, it was just incredibly frustrating to deal with crashes and bugged AI every twenty minutes. With that being said, NV is my favourite Fallout game, easily.

AlecOfTheWest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Don't understand why it would take so long, you know they're just reskinning 90% of the assets from Skyrim.

Vahleticar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Don't understand why it would take so long, you know they're just reskinning 90% of the assets from Skyrim.

Haha yes and no I understand where your're coming from. I'd rather for them to take an extra year and devote it to recording more dialog so I'm not listening to Alvor the blacksmith all the time

gamerpigeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

well until this game is announced I'm not buying a PS4/XONE

expensiveham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@somberowl said:

I'd imagine they want to give the ElderScrolls MMO some breathing room anyway. I'm okay with not having a new Fallout game any time soon.

Yeah probably a good idea to wait until everyone forgets about their brand being associated with that hot garbage.

Niceanims

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Good! Give em more time to make the game better.

bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#46  Edited By bacongames

They'll throw out a logo at E3 and it will come out 2015, probably Q3 or Q4.

YoThatLimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I do't know if I buy it, with the way Jeff was dropping giant hints, I am assuming he has played a preview version, and it will be announced at E3.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Of course it's going to take a while. They haven't figured out how to get the broke-as-fuck Gamebryo engine over to the next-gen consoles.

Vuud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So will it be Skyrim with guns or Fallout with swords with guns? Or just Oblivion?

Shortbreadtom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe they'll release a game that isn't a buggy, horrible playing mess for once.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.