Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Fantasian

Game » consists of 2 releases. Released Apr 02, 2021

Fantasian is a fantasy role-playing game featuring over 150 hand-made diorama backgrounds. The game's story comes from Final Fantasy creator Hironobu Sakaguchi and features music from legendary composer Nobuo Uematsu.

Fantasian is finally out and I have some super brief impressions

j_unit2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

This game was announced ages ago so I'm pretty excited that it's finally out! For those that may have forgotten, Final Fantasy creator Sakaguchi is back at it again with his first traditional RPG in what feels like forever.

I played the opening mission and reached the first town and..... it's okay so far? It's hard to have too many strong feelings on a JRPG since it's likely dozens of hours long but here's some rapid fire thoughts.

• Opening mission feels a lot like the bombing mission from FFVII
    • Leo, the protagonist has amnesia (ugh)
    • Environments are beautiful but it's really weird to see 3D characters interact with it? It kind of feels like they're floating on a separate layer over a JPEG. This worries me a bit but hopefully future environments look better because zoomed out it's great
    • RPG stuff is basic so far but enemies seem to be on a kind of grid so you can hit everyone in a line with an ability
    • Touch controls are perfectly viable (even though I prefer controller). Moving around the map is done by tapping points in the world. Better yet you can navigate by tapping the mini map in the menu and Leo will just run their automatically.
    • Save points still suck for games and especially one that can be played on a phone
    • Random encounters are here, but they don't bother me.
    • Nobuo Uematsu is still bringin bangers. I like the first town's theme specifically.

Feel free to fire off your thoughts.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.