Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Far Cry 2

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released Oct 21, 2008

The sequel to the original Far Cry dispenses with Jack Carver, and moves the action to a war-consumed Africa complete with an open-ended storyline involving civil war, several hours of missions, heated gunplay, and a slew of dynamic elements powered by a new engine.

Far Cry 2 - frustrating as hell

chw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By chw

Just started playing Far Cry 2 and it's frustrating as hell.  It's taking friggin' forever to get anywhere, even with a vehicle.  And without one -- it means I'm holding the "forward" button for the next 10 minutes.

Once in awhile an enemy car will show up, run into you, and kill you instantly -- and since the game never really seems to auto-save, dying means going back all the way to the last fucking town.

Right now I'm playing a mission for the third time.  The last two times I accepted the mission, I traveled across the whole entire map, I got out of my car, only to get shot and pretty much killed immediately.

That's basically AN HOUR AND A HALF OF MY LIFE I WILL NEVER GET BACK.

What the heck, man?  Can anyone tell me why it's such a ridiculous pain in the ass?  Am I missing something?  I paid money for this game and I really want to enjoy it, but right now it's absolutely not fun at all.

Snipzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Snipzor

You're doing it wrong, Far Cry 2 is not fast paced, you do not rush it. If you aren't going to get any enjoyment from actually playing the game for what it is, then stop playing right now or change your attitude towards playing the game.

fr0br0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By fr0br0

Are you going at them with a pistol? Because I don't think I ever died when I was just traveling from one spot to another. All it takes is a few shots from your turret to make one of their cars explode. Or just throw a grenade anywhere near their vehicles it will blow them to hell. Also try driving on side roads and not blaze through the main road. You will draw less attention.

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#4  Edited By breadfan
    @Snipzor said:
    " You're doing it wrong, Far Cry 2 is not fast paced, you do not rush it. If you aren't going to get any enjoyment from actually playing the game for what it is, then stop playing right now or change your attitude towards playing the game. "
    I agree.  It took me a long time before I actually got into Far Cry 2.  At first the pacing and the mission structure is a little confusing and going from one location to another can be a pain, but once you get the flow it's a pretty fun game
    Charon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5  Edited By Charon

@chw:

Yeah it can kinda suck,  my tips
    -quick saves will be your best friend
    -the only cars you should be using are the ones with the turret on the back
    -bus it when ever you can

It's probably obvious but cover is really important, and you should be rocking a gun that packs some range to it.  I dont know how far you are in the game but if you just starting out I would recommend doing side missions you get from phone towers and the gun shops.  It will give you some cash and free up some weapon for you to buy, cause the weapons that game starts with are shit.
    chw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By chw
    @Snipzor said:
    " You're doing it wrong, Far Cry 2 is not fast paced, you do not rush it. If you aren't going to get any enjoyment from actually playing the game for what it is, then stop playing right now or change your attitude towards playing the game. "
    Sorry, I don't really understand.  What am I doing wrong?

My issues with the game is the ridiculous traveling time, compounded with the awful save system.

It takes me something like 10 minutes to get to a town for a mission, 20 minutes to get my buddy (if I want to take on an alternate mission), another 10 minutes to get to the objective, and another like 10 minutes to get back to my buddy.  If at any point I get lost, fall down a cliff, get ambushed by a random enemy jeep, or otherwise screw up and die, I restart from when I initially picked up the mission and LOSE 40 OR SO MINUTES OF PROGRESS.

This has happened to me multiple times on a single mission and I want to give up on this stupid game forever. =/
    chw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By chw
    @Charon said:
    " @chw:
    Yeah it can kinda suck,  my tips
    -quick saves will be your best friend
    -the only cars you should be using are the ones with the turret on the back
    -bus it when ever you can

It's probably obvious but cover is really important, and you should be rocking a gun that packs some range to it.  I dont know how far you are in the game but if you just starting out I would recommend doing side missions you get from phone towers and the gun shops.  It will give you some cash and free up some weapon for you to buy, cause the weapons that game starts with are shit.
    "
    Thanks for the tips.  But, I'm playing the PS3 version -- there are quicksaves?  Also, the problems with bussing is that the stations are still pretty far away.

Really, I just wish they shrunk this world down 1/30th the size.  Right now there's just all this ridiculous empty space between things that does absolutely nothing except waste my goddamn time.  Ugh.
    Charon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Charon

Oh...no quick saves might ruin the experience (mines on PC).  But honestly, stick with it the game, it is a lot a fun once you get past the fact that a third of the time you spend playing it is wasted on driving through the fuckin jungle/desert/plains

Jerusahat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By Jerusahat

Driving, especially on roads, is a sure-fire way of attracting trouble. It's useful for short bursts, or across wilderness, but buses are better.
    You can avoid getting ambushed by jeep patrols by sticking to the grass and crouching when they're near. The camo suit helps.
    Find and use safe houses. Often I'd use the buses to get to a safe house, and then progress to a mission area.

Snipzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By Snipzor
    @chw said:
    "
    @Snipzor said:
    Sorry, I don't really understand.  What am I doing wrong? My issues with the game is the ridiculous traveling time, compounded with the awful save system. It takes me something like 10 minutes to get to a town for a mission, 20 minutes to get my buddy (if I want to take on an alternate mission), another 10 minutes to get to the objective, and another like 10 minutes to get back to my buddy.  If at any point I get lost, fall down a cliff, get ambushed by a random enemy jeep, or otherwise screw up and die, I restart from when I initially picked up the mission and LOSE 40 OR SO MINUTES OF PROGRESS.This has happened to me multiple times on a single mission and I want to give up on this stupid game forever. =/ "
    Let me explain. You aren't John Wayne, you can't just draw attention to yourself at every opportunity, you'll get your ass kicked hard over and over again. First off, buy better guns, and guns that relate to a theme when you load out.

Second, get as many safehouses as possible, and do the main buddy missions, so you'll unlock extra features for your safehouse like first aid. You'll need it. Also, only travel during the day.

Third, use buses, we cannot stress this enough. If you don't use buses, chances are you will get ambushed over and over again. Buses have a save feature when you reach your destination, making it vital for your survival.

Fourth, don't draw attention to yourself even in a firefight. If you are in an urban setting during a firefight, chances are they don't know where you are, therefore you must use that to make a hasty getaway. Getting yourself in the middle of the firefight means one thing. Death. Sneak about and get to a vantage point before killing anyone. Stay in bushes, stealth is extremely important in Far Cry 2, despite how some people say it is broken, it works just fine.

Fifth, chose a specific loadout. If you are going to do an assassination mission, take a sniper riffle/silenced machine gun, a light machine gun, and a silenced pistol. Pistol only if your target is in an urban environment and you can't get a shot off, so you can get closer without alerting anybody. But if you need to blow up a truck, take the IEDs and wait for the truck to come by. You won't be ambushed, and you can get away easily.

Sixth, if you see the diamond tracker blinking, find the diamonds. You'll need them.

Finally, and we all know this of every game. SAVE OFTEN. There's no need to rush as I've said, so if you are close to your target, go to the nearest safehouse and save. But also create two save slots, overlapping the older save each time. Essentially to ensure you are not in a sticky situation you can never get out of.

These are tips that are 100% necessary at the very end, so don't just ignore these words. Plus it will be more fun this way.
    TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By TheGreatGuero

I'm not going to say too much here, except that I think Far Cry 2 is a very stupid game.

Pibo47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Pibo47

Dont drive, dont go out during the day, dont help allies because they just make things harder...umm...dont shoot anyone. Thats how you have fun in farcry 2.

Charon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Charon

Drive on train tracks when you can

Avatar image for stephen_von_cloud
    Stephen_Von_Cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Plenty of frustrating parts about that game.  The respawning enemies at guard points are also terrible.  Also doesn't help that all the enemy encounters on the road are of the terrible get out of your car, enemy gets out of his, and you shoot him and get back in and drive off variety.  I don't see how anyone can enjoy that game.

emkeighcameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By emkeighcameron

Far Cry 2 is repetitive and infuriating. The gunplay can be satisfying, but all of the elements leading up to and following the firefights are poorly designed, poorly executed, and shallow.

The fact that the AI never recognizes you as being on one team or another is retarded.

The fact that guards will respawn at a guard post LESS THAN 30 SECONDS after you wipe it out and drive off is retarded.

The fact that driving always and forever attracts the exact same confrontation (drive by, screech to a stop, shoot shoot, drive away) is retarded.

The fact that the travel time takes forever (why not let you insta-travel to safehouses?) is retarded.

The graphics are decent, the audio is decent, and the gunplay is decent (and yes, it is challenging but that's what makes it rewarding).

And for the record, I own the PC version, and I can't even imagine playing this game without a quicksave function. That would've probably made me quit long before the end.

ImperiousRix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 4

#16  Edited By ImperiousRix

Only thing I have to say is that I played Far Cry 2 for a good couple of weeks and never felt like I got anywhere.  The game just has such a grueling pace, I could never get into it.
    I can appreciate that it's a solid game, but it just wasn't for me.

DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By DonPixel

Put it on Easy, problem solved

I actually like a lot this game

Rapture

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Rapture

the game was pretty easy when i played on hardcore. The travelling part is pretty boring but you can at least try and apprecieate the scenery since this game is soooo damn gorgeous.

lebkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#19  Edited By lebkin
    @chw: My first suggestion is to save often.  I think Far Cry 2 is a far cry from perfect, but you can make it work for you.  My standard method is to save every chance I get.  It is rare to go more than twenty minutes or so before passing a safe house.  So when you do, save your game.  You can at any time, even in the middle of the missions.  And a lot of missions have conveniently located safehouses near mission objectives.  Look for them.

Secondly, try a variety of weapon layouts until you find the right one for you.  I generally roll with a sniper rifle, an uzi, and a light machine gun.  Gives me the ability to deal with enemies easily at a variety of ranges.

Next, make use of the jeep with the turret on it.  Has unlimited bullets and good range.  Can help easily soften up an enemy guard post before moving in.

Finally, do not try and kill everyone.  This is not Grand Theft Auto.  Kill only what you need to, complete your objective and get out of there.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.