Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Far Cry 2

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released Oct 21, 2008

The sequel to the original Far Cry dispenses with Jack Carver, and moves the action to a war-consumed Africa complete with an open-ended storyline involving civil war, several hours of missions, heated gunplay, and a slew of dynamic elements powered by a new engine.

Far Cry 2 Impressions so far.

DualReaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By DualReaver

I'm about three hours into chapter one and not really enjoying it thus far. The combat is starting to feel very repetitive; the constant run ins with patrol jeeps and the never ending firefights with the respawning guards at every guard post is just getting annoying. As well the missions don't seem varied enough and starting to feel like a chore to do, hopefully this well get better later on though. For an open ended world it all feels very linear and confined, the only thing the open world adds to the game is the lengthy drives across the map to complete whatever mission you're doing.
    I much prefer Crysis' jungles over Far Cry 2s', not because of Crysis' better graphics but more its art direction. Crysis' jungles felt very vibrantly colored and alive where Far Cry 2s' feel very washed out and lifeless. (I am running it maxed 1680x1050 2xAA.)
    At this point I just want some cheats and get all the best weapons in the game and hopefully have some fun before I get totally fed up with this game and give up.

I've yet to try the map editor or MP though, hopefully they'll make up for the disappointing SP.

Alright your turn.

mussbus999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2  Edited By mussbus999

Far Cry 2 is set in Africa, so the jungles are definitely not going to be as amazing looking as something on a tropical island.  The setting will be more savanna desert like. I hope you enjoy it more, this game seems really cool, but I'm waiting for Fallout 3.  I'm not gonna get a game to play for one weekend then stop and play F3, I'm a big RPGer =]

DualReaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By DualReaver

Yeah I know that it's set in Africa not a tropical island but it's almost downright ugly to look that. I hate grey.

CactusWolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By CactusWolf

Hmm... What I've heard so far sounds pretty underwhelming.

Suppose I'll give it a rent first.

ieatlions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By ieatlions

apparently the story picks up after 10+ hours so u might try 2 stick with it see if it picks up

DualReaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By DualReaver

That's only my feelings about the game. There is plenty of people who do enjoy the game.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Jayge_

The game left a damn good impression on me. I played about an hour or an hour and a half of single-player, I haven't even reached Mike's Bar yet though. The opening sequence was pretty cool, and I found myself respecting and despising the Jackal at the same time from the beginning. I think it starts off on a good note in that regard. After traipsing the jungle for a bit (the lighting effects and dynamic graphic/sound combinations made me swoon) I popped into the map editor for a little playing around. It was very easy to use, although a little heavy-handed, but the results are fast and it's incredibly pick-up-and-play-able. Ranked matches came after that. The aiming is weird as hell in this game- you'll want to turn off auto-aim on the console versions. The guns, range, damage, etc. are pretty different from most games and take several matches to get used to, but once you recognize and adapt your tactics, you feel pretty much right at home. Maps are varied and interesting, average to pretty good design out of Ubi Montreal. Overall, I'm now incredibly conflicted as to when to play Fable II and when to play Far Cry 2, and this will only make me more schizophrenic once Fallout 3 hits. Far Cry 2 is definitely a good game; alone in the jungle, making your own way, or fighting with some buddies.

People in ranked matches need to learn how to fucking revive though. I get like 4 or 5 per game (most I can do without getting bullet-riddled) but most people always have 0. It's a bummer because it really is fun and interesting.

Warfare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By Warfare
    dcpc10 said:
    "man......i'm starting to feel like buying this game isn't a good idea....why'd you have to let me down ubisoft?????"
    It was Far Cry 2 or Fallout 3 i went with Fallout 3.
    Mardil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Mardil

Well, we still have PoP to look forward to.

Virago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Virago

I really like the waggle mini games they added to Far Cry 2. 

Zing!
    Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Jayge_

Xbox version.

Jolly_Lolly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Jolly_Lolly

Meh, not my cup of tea.

Still waiting for Gears (17 more days!!!...I think)

roofy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By roofy

so do you guys think this is a rent-firtst-then-buy or a gotta-buy-it-now kinda game?

DualReaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By DualReaver

I'd rent it first.

Shawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15  Edited By Shawn

Well after reading your original post it kind of makes me glad I cancelled my preorder on Farcry 2 and put that money on Fallout 3.

Thanks DualReaver! Here's a Bannana Staff

OneEyedNinja7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By OneEyedNinja7
    Shawn said:
    "Well after reading your original post it kind of makes me glad I cancelled my preorder on Farcry 2 and put that money on Fallout 3.

Thanks DualReaver! Here's a Bannana Staff"
    Really? What killed your hype?
    Shawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Shawn
    OneEyedNinja7 said:
    "Shawn said:
    "Well after reading your original post it kind of makes me glad I cancelled my preorder on Farcry 2 and put that money on Fallout 3.

Thanks DualReaver! Here's a Bannana Staff"
    Really? What killed your hype?"
    Well it was a tough decision because I can only buy 2 games this fall. One is GoW2 and the other was either Farcry 2 or Fallout 3, my initial decision was to go with Facry 2 but then I was reading reviews, and while single player sounded good it's the multiplayer that was quote "average" so if I was going to buy a game for single player purposes only, which I indeed is what I wanted, a single player game and a multiplayer game. I decided to go with Fallout 3.
    ltcoljaxson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#18  Edited By ltcoljaxson

I have the PC version of Far Cry 2. With DX10 and all ultra high - this game looks amazing. Everything is perfect in it pretty much, fire looks amazing and works out pretty well. AI is very smart, and sniping is quiet realistic. It takes a few shots in a row before they can really track you down if you are sniping. So if you space it out right... they never know where you are shooting from.

A stunning looking game, and I think the setting is more interesting then Crysis. So for me it looks better than Crysis, just because the environments are more interesting. And I can run Far Cry 2 full cause it is optimized pretty well (Crysis I can run just about everything Very High, but some studdering here and there)...

Shawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Shawn

I heard quite differently about the AI LtCol

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By pause422

I'm really enjoying it so far, as I expected I would be, dividing my time on Far cry 2 and fable 2 right now...it will be all that more frustrating to do so next week when Fallout comes out >.< yet I can't wait at the same time.

GDub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By GDub

i pretty much agree with the op the "open world" isnt nearly what i had thought it would be  but the most annoying part are as the op said guards respawning at those stupid posts all the time the combat doesnt help the situations because it just feels boring thers is no real kick to the guns and the missions have very small variations 

overall i hope it gets better but it doesnt look so good 

English

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By English

Seems a bit mediocre to me in some aspects. (PC Version) So far the beginning where you're driving through the savannah was the most enjoyable part, and really worked as a nice start. I have found that in a lot of firefights it ends up being really hard to figure out where everyone is shooting from because of all the grass, the small FOV, and graphics on the screen when  you are shot. I'm sure having some good speakers or headphones with positional audio would help alot to figure out where people are coming from.

The world does feel a little too big perhaps. It seems like they decided the scope a little too early, then had to try and fill it with roadside checkpoints to make it feel more alive. Driving in a huge game-world can be fun when the game has an arcady feel, but because of the speed of the vehicles (too slow for an arcadey game) and the checkpoints that destroy your vehicle, going for a joy-ride isn't something you'll be interested in doing.

Roadside checkpoints and cars that chase you or attack are really annoying. It ends up turning into "drive a little, shoot some guys, drive a little further." I find it hard to imagine myself doing that for 10+ hours without some cheats to make it a little more bearable.

Some aspects of the game like the grahics are great; they're really beautiful and run and look beautiful, what i'd expect from crysis, but don't have such an impact on performance like crysis did. I'd have to say overall that while it's great in a lot of technical aspects, there are just a few things gameplay wise that drag it down.

Edit: I just watched the FarCry 2 trailer on the official site. It makes the game look great. All of that stuff is possible. The problem is that you can't play the game like an arcade game. You have to take it slow and be careful. When I have to worry about my weapon jamming or having enough health injector, that doesn't make the game feel run 'n gunny. It's kinda like comparing GTA to Saints Row in terms of play-style.
    daniel_beck_90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By daniel_beck_90
    yeah as I said before the game lacks  variety  in its  missions .
    Gunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

#24  Edited By Gunner

a little hint: If you dont like crysis, you wont like far cry 2. While the actual gun=play is very different, the game still has the same assault-camps-in-your-own-way type of gameplay.

Lunarbunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Lunarbunny

I'm enjoying it, but I do have a few issues with the checkpoints...I feel like they don't stay empty long enough; perhaps they should have convoys sent in to them to re-stock them instead of the spawning. I like the sound of the guns though, and explosions are fun. Fire seems a bit weak, but at the same time I've lit myself on fire like 3 times with the backblast of a Carl Gustav I picked up. I LOVE the look of the desert, but I'll admit the jungle is just a bit too gray.

I have yet to play with multiplayer or the map editor.

Overall I'd say 4/5, not perfect, feels a little cramped sometimes (gameplay and terrain wise) but entertaining nonetheless.

cgrady

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By cgrady

Loving it. First hour or so I wasn't too into it but it clicked and im loving the exploration. Played it all day (mostly side missions) and then spent about 4 hours on a map. Hopefully people actually play it ^_^. Its called River Run btw, check it out.

Its definitely not a typical FPS.

Demilich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Demilich

It's pretty pathetic that they left the save points on the PC version when we already have a menu and quick save.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Linkyshinks

Loving the game so far, having a lot of fun with the adventure. I'm about 5 hours in and am experimenting a lot.

The PC version looks fucking gorgeous maxed out :D

mooseburger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By mooseburger
    Demilich said:
    "It's pretty pathetic that they left the save points on the PC version when we already have a menu and quick save."
    Dude YES!  It screams "We care way more about consoles, maybe the PC people won't notice our laziness".  Because of that I've been trying to only use save points and safe houses to save since that's obviously what they intended.  Also, no prone or lean?  I have thrown grenades at a few walls because of no lean.  Can't even set the mode of fire on a gun from what I can tell so far.  There's a couple other things missing that I was hoping they would add since this is Far Cry (tagging enemies for instance), the new setting is cool at least.  Otherwise I am enjoying myself so far.  Mainly, I just find it annoying that this was at one time announced as a PC exclusive, yet it was obviously designed as a console game first and a PC game second.  Sad sad sad.
    Demilich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Demilich

I completely forgot about saving at your safe houses. Four ways to save your game on PC! No excuses for losing progress.

DualReaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By DualReaver
    MooseBurger said:
    "Demilich said:
    "It's pretty pathetic that they left the save points on the PC version when we already have a menu and quick save."
    Dude YES!  It screams "We care way more about consoles, maybe the PC people won't notice our laziness".  Because of that I've been trying to only use save points and safe houses to save since that's obviously what they intended.  Also, no prone or lean?  I have thrown grenades at a few walls because of no lean.  Can't even set the mode of fire on a gun from what I can tell so far.  There's a couple other things missing that I was hoping they would add since this is Far Cry (tagging enemies for instance), the new setting is cool at least.  Otherwise I am enjoying myself so far.  Mainly, I just find it annoying that this was at one time announced as a PC exclusive, yet it was obviously designed as a console game first and a PC game second.  Sad sad sad."
    Ahh, the no prone thing bugs me. But the no leaning thing just pisses me off.
    Demilich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Demilich

No prone kinda sucks, but leaning is overrated. When I did my CoD4 Veteran run, I changed E to knife.

DualReaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By DualReaver

I'd love to see lean in this game because of its more stealthy elements.

Avatar image for spilledmilkfactory
    spilledmilkfactory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 75

User Lists: 23

ok now for my FC2 impressions so far. i just got it last night, so i've played around one hour of the campaign, one hour of multiplayer, and about a half hour of the map editor. my impressions of the single player game so far are pretty positive. not having a targeting reticule on the screen threw me for a few minutes, but i'm pretty used to it by now. everything in the campaign, from the weapons to the vehicles to the people themselves feels suitably dirty and realistic, and the graphics bring the world to beautiful life. one thing that i rather dislike about the campaign is the feeling of aimlessness that is prevalent in every part of the game. there is no onscreen minimap like there is in EVERY OTHER open world game with the exception of the GPS mounted on the dashboard of every car, but even that is way too hard to see to get any good idea of where you're going. a lot of the world is starting to look the same, even after only an hour of play. also, while some voiceovers are alright, most suck. the main villian, the Jackal, sounds as if he's just vomiting out words because se talks so fast. multiplayer seems to be my favorite part of the game at the moment. it's pretty typical DM, TDM, CTF, and Conquest with a ranking system and upgradable loadouts, but it's really executed well. unlocking new upgrades is rewarding and the gameplay is solid as always. my only complaint with multiplayer is that the sprint function keeps sprinting even after you let go of the button, which can lead to a few deaths. with the very flexible but sometimes unweildly map editor, this game could last you forever.
    i play the PS3 version of the game btw. and yes, the graphics and framerate are great.
    EDIT: i've logged a few more hours into the campaign, and i have to say it's getting pretty dull. half of the time spent with this game has been about as much fun as staring at dirt and trees, because i've literally spent half of the game staring at dirt and trees. the world is far too large to have so few missions.

Creative

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Creative

1st post sums it up for me.

• Annoying checkpoints, with guys destroying your car every few minutes
    • Open world that leaves me claustrophobic. Road is always in some kind of creek and camps usually have only one approach or sniping spot. 
    • Locked weapons, I spent 3 hours playing with old rusty carbine. 
    • Whole game is very gray.
    Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Jayge_
    Creative said:
    "1st post sums it up for me.
    • Annoying checkpoints, with guys destroying your car every few minutes
    • Open world that leaves me claustrophobic. Road is always in some kind of creek and camps usually have only one approach or sniping spot. 
    • Locked weapons, I spent 3 hours playing with old rusty carbine. 
    • Whole game is very gray.
    "
    What game are you talking about? I played for half the time you did and was wielding a new shotgun and pistol and shit by the time I had destroyed 3 camps. As for being gray... what? I mean I'm not saying your opinion of the other stuff is wrong, but if anything the game is green/yellow/orange. Very earthy tones. Definitely not gray.
    Demilich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Demilich

I think the game is great, but it's heavily dragged down by the boring and frustrating traveling. Every single mission you get is on the opposite side of the map no matter where you get it, and after you get there, you can enjoy all the respawns getting back.

The gunplay kicks ass. Every weapon feels powerful and satisfying.

kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#38  Edited By kush
    Demilich said:
    "I think the game is great, but it's heavily dragged down by the boring and frustrating traveling. Every single mission you get is on the opposite side of the map no matter where you get it, and after you get there, you can enjoy all the respawns getting back.

The gunplay kicks ass. Every weapon feels powerful and satisfying."
    That is my biggest problem with the game as well. Getting to the actual mission can be such a pain in the ass and once you complete the mission you just got to go right back where you came from...and since I am playing this on console I'm not the biggest fan of the save system.
    Demilich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Demilich

Those damn checkpoints wouldn't be such a hassle if there were 2-3x more bus stations.

And you reminded me of the bullshit save list. Every time I quicksave it adds a new file, which means my list is a mile long which = 15 second load time to show it.

TheGamerGeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 13

#40  Edited By TheGamerGeek

I agree with pretty much everything you said, except I think the graphics look great.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Linkyshinks

There was never going to be any tactical tagging as seen in Crysis

English

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By English
    Linkyshinks said:
    "There was never going to be any tactical tagging as seen in Crysis"
    Doesn't mean there shouldn't have been.
    kmdrkul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By kmdrkul

Just played for about and hour and a half.  Kind of a slow start but once you get your first real mission it became really interesting.  Love the graphics and the shooting, though I hate having to pull out your map and it not just being built into your HUD.  Also, I'm confused on the aspect of finding diamonds.  If the light blinks on my GPS then diamonds are near??

TheGamerGeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 13

#44  Edited By TheGamerGeek
    kmdrkul said:
    Also, I'm confused on the aspect of finding diamonds.  If the light blinks on my GPS then diamonds are near??"
    Correct, then when it stops blinking and is just solid green the diamond is in front of you somewhere, it's kinda confusing but you get used to it after a while.
    kmdrkul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By kmdrkul
    TheGamerGeek said:
    "kmdrkul said:
    Also, I'm confused on the aspect of finding diamonds.  If the light blinks on my GPS then diamonds are near??"
    Correct, then when it stops blinking and is just solid green the diamond is in front of you somewhere, it's kinda confusing but you get used to it after a while."
    Is it bugged?  For instance, when I first met the APR leader in his house in that village under cease-fire, it started blinking rapidly, until I finally pointed it at something only to to the wall...?
    Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Jayge_
    kmdrkul said:
    "TheGamerGeek said:
    "kmdrkul said:
    Correct, then when it stops blinking and is just solid green the diamond is in front of you somewhere, it's kinda confusing but you get used to it after a while."
    Is it bugged?  For instance, when I first met the APR leader in his house in that village under cease-fire, it started blinking rapidly, until I finally pointed it at something only to to the wall...?"
    It was probably on the other side of the wall. I was pointing at one and had to run around a hut, go inside, and see the actual case.
    cgrady

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By cgrady

was probably behind the wall or under something or on the roof maybe. sometimes they're a little tricky to find

i find myself just going around a lot of checkpoints now. very easy in some places

kmdrkul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By kmdrkul

I figured it out.  Turns out it was in the garage next to the building I was in.  I walked in and got shot by four different guys :P

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.