Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Far Cry 3

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Nov 29, 2012

The third installment in the series sees a reluctant victim battling nature, pirates, and the island's insanity-inducing jungle to rescue his friends and family from an island paradise gone horribly wrong.

360 or PC?

• 116 results
    ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

#1  Edited By ProfessorEss

I want to play this on my big TV on my couch with a controller.

If I buy it now I'd have to go with the 360 version despite potential technical short-comings. If I can bring myself to wait a few months I will most likely have my PC set up in the living room by then. I feel like the 360 version probably performs well enough for me (especially if I get as engrossed in it as I did FC2) but if I wait and go PC I could possibly end up with a notably superior version for cheaper.

I'm so torn.

Zajtalan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Zajtalan

ps3. the deadzone on the dualshock is better than the 360s

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By JasonR86

If you can get a good framerate out of it and can have medium to high settings then the PC version is the way to go. People like me, who have a middle of the road PC, have to settle on the 360. Anyone hear how the PS3 version turned out?

AltonBrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By AltonBrown

@JasonR86: I'd like to know as well. My PC's not nearly up to snuff, so PS3's really my only option.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By Snail

I would wait.

kraznor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 12

#6  Edited By kraznor

Neither? This game seems so focused on being "fun" it doesn't give a moments thought to immersion or thoughtful storytelling. Yeah, Vaas seems mad crazy, but if you and your friends are douchebags, who cares? Giant Bomb got this game for free, they can enjoy messing around with it a bit without any real loss. A sixty dollar investment with a likely lame payoff at the end? Nah, don't bother.

Xeirus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By Xeirus

I'd wait for the PC, you'll be able to get a sick ass discount on it from GMG.

Always go PC whenever available, if nothing else, for the savings.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Spoonman671

I wouldn't worry about it.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ProfessorEss

@Kraznor said:

Neither? This game seems so focused on being "fun" it doesn't give a moments thought to immersion or thoughtful storytelling. Yeah, Vaas seems mad crazy, but if you and your friends are douchebags, who cares? Giant Bomb got this game for free, they can enjoy messing around with it a bit without any real loss. A sixty dollar investment with a likely lame payoff at the end? Nah, don't bother.

I don't really care about that. I'm more of an explorer/wanderer. Pretty confident that this is my game.

(I'm fine with games focused on fun :P)

uhtaree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By uhtaree

I'm torn, and I can't wait. I want this to "the" game for me this year, whether it is really that good or not remains to be seen so I may be piling too much hope on a game in a year that was pretty down for me. I got a 6950 so I think if I notch down the settings I'll be alright. It's the kind of game I'd want to play on PC for the graphics, but I wouldn't mind the trade-in value because I'm not sure I'd ever want to return to the game after a play through.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By Andorski

Patience of a virtue. Wait and you'll most likely get it below it's launch price.

@Kraznor said:

So, without getting into spoilers, does the game not indicate that it's self-aware about its YOLO attitude?

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#12  Edited By Justin258

Watch the Quick Look. That frame rate is kind of gross for most of it. But it still looks playable, an if you're OK with that and you really want the game, then go for it - and if you like it enough, get it on PC when it goes on sale for crazy cheap a few months from now and play it in all its gorgeous 60FPS glory.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Justin258

@Kraznor said:

Sounds precisely like my kind of game. I like messing around, and this seems like the logical conclusion to the FPS playset that was Crysis 1.

bagrm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By bagrm

@Kraznor said:

Really? The staff has been reviewing games publishers sent them for a long time, and they review games based on their experience playing the game, not price point. I highly doubt their opinion of the game is skewed because they got it for free.

WasabiCurry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By WasabiCurry

I think your issue is that, "Are you patience enough to wait?" If not, go with the console and enjoy it for what it is! No one will care (in a good way).

However, if you can wait, then wait~ The PC version is obviously way better and of course when the new drivers get updated by Nvidia they will make the game run much smoother for lower end systems~

It is really your call, for myself, I will wait until I build my beast of a PC next summer~ School comes first as always! :3

Lukeweizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Lukeweizer

I bought the 360 version during an E3 sale on Bestbuy.ca for $40. But, I have since built a gaming PC which is my primary way to play stuff now. But I like (360) achievements. But I want a smoother running game. I'm really torn, but I think I'll end up with the PC version.

@Kraznor said:

So, why don't they like every "free" game that's given to them? Maybe they actually like it cause it's free. If the characters worry you, then wait to find out how it turns out. Jeff's worried about them too, but he's still enjoying everything else around it.

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

@Kraznor said:

I don't think you know how their job works.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#18  Edited By toowalrus

I'll be playing on the PC. On a TV. Probably with a Dualshock... I'm a monster.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By RE_Player1

Doesn't the PS3 version have some exclusive content?

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#20  Edited By Sackmanjones
    @TooWalrus said:

I'll be playing on the PC. On a TV. Probably with a Dualshock... I'm a monster.

We are all monsters.... 

I'll be doing the same as you only with an xbox gamepad.
    Avatar image for clairvoyantvibrations
    ClairvoyantVibrations

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@TooWalrus: DIE MONSTER, YOU DON'T BELONG IN THIS WORLD!

I'm gonna be playing on PC, no gamepad. Can't stand controllers for shooters.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By ProfessorEss

@Skyfire543 said:

@TooWalrus: DIE MONSTER, YOU DON'T BELONG IN THIS WORLD!

I'm gonna be playing on PC, no gamepad. Can't stand controllers for shooters.

If I thought I'd play it online at all that'd tip the scales but for single-player I think I'd take the comfort of movement controls (personal taste) over the precision of aiming.

But still having both available is a plus nonetheless.

I dont know squat about video cards, how would the Radeon HD 6900 handle it? (or where's a good place to look?)

Klei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#23  Edited By Klei

I'd rather get HBAO, 60fps and perfect controls than a couch and TV.

Jazzycola

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Jazzycola

@ProfessorEss: This GPU hierarchy chart can give you a good idea. If you turn off DX11 effects, chances are anything equal to or above a GTX460 or 5870 will do just fine.

Edit: I'm assuming at 1080p and not 2560X1600 res.

Avatar image for bourbon_warrior
    Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

@believer258 said:

Watch the Quick Look. That frame rate is kind of gross for most of it. But it still looks playable, an if you're OK with that and you really want the game, then go for it - and if you like it enough, get it on PC when it goes on sale for crazy cheap a few months from now and play it in all its gorgeous 60FPS glory.

Well not Max settings. The most high end cards are getting about 45 at the most with everything maxed out. Makes a 580 look outdated.

kraznor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By kraznor

@slyspider: Is that what Eurogamer did? Explains the 100.

kraznor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By kraznor

@bagrm: Really? Brad brings up price point a lot when considering games. I just don't really go to Giant Bomb for purchasing advice anymore, they provide fun editorial banter but they really don't seem to be aspirational in what they want from video-games. As long as its fun, YAY, five stars. Oh, it actually questions the nature of what you're doing? That's fun and all but...3 stars.

slyspider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By slyspider

@Kraznor said:

@slyspider: Is that what Eurogamer did? Explains the 100.

More of a jab at you and your pre release "review" than an actual real website with intelligent people working there, i love Eurogamer.

/conversationover

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Ravenlight

360 or PC?

The answer is always the PC. Regardless of any other factors.

Your PC requires a blood sacrifice and your 360 dispenses kittens and happiness? Maybe boot up your 360 for awhile then sacrifice some kittens.

YOU_DIED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By YOU_DIED

@slyspider said:

@Kraznor said:

Stick a star value on that and you have a standard European outlet review! WHO NEEDS TO PLAY THE GAME RIGHT? THAT WOULD MAKE SENSE

A video game focused on being fun? Who the fuck wants to play that?

IBurningStar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By IBurningStar

PC is the correct answer.

@Kraznor: The real reason I am in this thread is because I saw someone on /v/ making fun of you and was curious to see what started it all.

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#32  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

@Kraznor said:

@bagrm: Really? Brad brings up price point a lot when considering games. I just don't really go to Giant Bomb for purchasing advice anymore, they provide fun editorial banter but they really don't seem to be aspirational in what they want from video-games. As long as its fun, YAY, five stars. Oh, it actually questions the nature of what you're doing? That's fun and all but...3 stars.

So you don't like their reviews because they like things for different reasons you do? What are you referencing with the scores?

Raven10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#33  Edited By Raven10

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

@believer258 said:

Well not Max settings. The most high end cards are getting about 45 at the most with everything maxed out. Makes a 580 look outdated.

Brad looked like he was getting a pretty solid framerate on the quicklook and it looked significantly better than the console version, so even assuming that was not using DX11, I'm sure even a moderate PC can make the game look vastly superior and run far better than a console.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Sinusoidal

Dunno, but my PS3 version just arrived in the mail. Woot! Props to Ubisoft for releasing in Korea on the same early date as the EU, and we're like 12 hours ahead too.

david3cm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By david3cm

Heres my question, and I know it may be hard to know but after looking at that graph showing my 560ti would run around 7 frames per second with the graphics turned up, should I buy the PC or the 360 version? Would I get enough of a graphical and frame rate bump playing on PC, or would I need to turn down the settings so much that I should just buy it on 360? Any help would be great, especially from the European (or the people getting it early) Bombers so I know what to pick up come the 4th.

Avatar image for bourbon_warrior
    Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

@Raven10 said:

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

@believer258 said:

Brad looked like he was getting a pretty solid framerate on the quicklook and it looked significantly better than the console version, so even assuming that was not using DX11, I'm sure even a moderate PC can make the game look vastly superior and run far better than a console.

That was in 720p though.

murisan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By murisan

This game is a weird mix. I want to use a gamepad to play for everything EXCEPT encounters, but the enemies are good enough shots on normal difficulty that you'll want M+KB accuracy (at least until you get three silenced weapons).

God this game is great though

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Doctorchimp

@Kraznor said:

Ummm....

Trolling?

murisan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By murisan

@Kraznor said:

Trust me, the game is immersive. It's also $50 on PC. Nitpicking, but it's the facts. I can't see my played time as Steam has been in offline mode since I unlocked the game, but I think I've spent 4 hours in the game, and I can see myself spending 30 hours on the single player alone.

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Clonedzero

my old gaming rig is starting to show its age. so im skipping this for now, though it looks amazing.

this is gonna be one of those games i look for on steam sales a year from now to get when i eventually get around to upgrading my computer.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By ShaggE

For most games I'd say "whatever you prefer", but this game looks so damn good on PC. I'm running it on medium/high at 1680x1050, and it's still gorgeous.

Edit: Are you seriously saying that games shouldn't focus on fun?

Nadril

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Nadril

@Kraznor said:

Yeah, damn those people for trying to make their game fun. Serious bummer.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Justin258
    @Kraznor

Uh... They do seem to appreciate good, thoughtful games.
    Anyway, you wouldn't give a thoughtful movie with horrible camerawork and bad acting a perfect score, and you wouldn't give a game 5 stars solely for having a thoughtful story. You also have to take into account gameplay, aesthetics, polish, etc.
    Do you have any specific thoughtful games in mind?
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By AhmadMetallic

One word:

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By ProfessorEss

@AhmadMetallic said:

One word:

What? What's the word?! All I see is a picture of a mouse.

zels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By zels

@Kraznor said:

Immersion and thoughtful storytelling in video games happens about once a year. It's an awful big gap in between.

bchampnd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By bchampnd

After watching part of the Quick Look, I'd have to say PC because the 360 version doesn't seem to run too well. Playable, but choppy.

I probably wouldn't have picked it up at launch but I got a "free" copy through a promotion when I bought a new SSD for my PC so that also factored into settling the debate for me.

djou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By djou

I would wait for the PC version. The open world natural of the game makes me think it will be buggy as hell when it launches. Judging from the quick look I wouldn't be surprised if there were a bunch of server problems on the UPlay end. If you wait a few months I'm sure they will release patches to address some of the issues. You'll probably get the game for cheaper with a better frame rate even if you're machine can't handle the extreme graphics. I also wouldn't be surprised if they start releasing a bunch of add-on content, if you wait you may get these for cheap or free.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#49  Edited By Yummylee

I can at the very least confirm that, when given an alternative, people may want to ward away from the PS3 version... framerate is pretty shoddy overall and it's down right atrocious during some of the cutscenes. Guess I should have expected as much, but consoles are all I've got so I decided to give it a chance =/ Being poor sucks.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By ProfessorEss

Two quick questions. For you advanced Steam users:

1. Am I reading the Steam Deluxe Edition offering correctly in that it includes all the different retailer specific pre-order bonuses?

2. Do these pre-order bonus items ever pop back up on Steam after release as purchasable items or as a "buy it now and get this stuff" promotion?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.