Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Far Cry 3

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Nov 29, 2012

The third installment in the series sees a reluctant victim battling nature, pirates, and the island's insanity-inducing jungle to rescue his friends and family from an island paradise gone horribly wrong.

Are you disappointed they removed some of the survival stuff?

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By NekuSakuraba

Such as jamming weapons, degrading weapons, having to pull gullets out of your arm, malaria etc. Personally I really like these and am disappointed to se even gone in farcry 3, because it gave farcry 2 a more... Survivalist feel. What do you guys think? I

Note: I haven't played the game yet, I'm just expressing my opinion on what has been removed.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#2  Edited By Hizang

No, I mean when you heal yourself you do similar actions, but gun jamming was stupid. Gums in general, I stick to my bow and sniper.

Avatar image for awesomeusername
    awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By awesomeusername

I thought those were pretty cool features in Far Cry 2. But not many people agree.

landon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4  Edited By landon

Weapon jamming and degrading weapons were dumb. You picked them up at the beginning of the game, but it wasn't long until you had enough money to buy your own guns and after that you literally never picked up an enemy weapon again.

And the malaria thing was almost non existent late in the game. Every time it popped up I always said "Oh yeah, I still have malaria."

Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Canteu

You still heal yourself in fucked up ways (it's a skill you get pretty early).

Gun jams were dumb.

Malaria was really dumb.

Far Cry 3 is really fun and Far Cry 2 was not. I think this is all you need to know.

doobie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By doobie

nope. at no point during my 6 or so hours with FC3 have i been disappointed with anything.

Zippedbinders

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

#7  Edited By Zippedbinders

@NekuSakuraba said:

Such as jamming weapons, degrading weapons, having to pull gullets out of your arm, malaria etc. Personally I really like these and am disappointed to se even gone in farcry 3, because it gave farcry 2 a more... Survivalist feel. What do you guys think? I Note: I haven't played the game yet, I'm just expressing my opinion on what has been removed.

I literally just watched the Gamespot review of Far Cry 3, and there was video of you pulling a bullet out of your arm in a battle. Malaria honestly doesn't add much to FC2, and like others have said, once you buy the guns in FC2, the degradation and jamming aspect of stuff is pretty much nullified.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Spoonman671

I'm a little disappointed to see them gone, but I'll get over it, I guess.  I wish there wasn't a mini-map or other HUD elements though.  I thought the way Far Cry 2 handled that stuff was pretty cool and fun.

DxBecks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By DxBecks

I haven't played Far Cry 3 yet, but I'm bummed they took out the weapon jamming. Not only did it add a bit of realism to the game but it created for some tense and awesome fire fights; nothing like watching your only weapon jam or spontaneously explode upon firing and now having to completely rework your plan of action while being shot at. I'm glad the Malaria is gone though, that was just annoying.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10  Edited By Sooty

Nah I'm good, with Far Cry 2 I was disappointed they removed the fun.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By NekuSakuraba
    @Spoonman671
    I'm a little disappointed to see them gone, but I'll get over it, I guess.  I wish there wasn't a mini-map or other HUD elements though.  I thought the way Far Cry 2 handled that stuff was pretty cool and fun.
    Yeah, that as well. The physical map in farcry 2 was nice.
    Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Ares42

Arm bullet is still in the game. I won't say for sure, but it seems to be arm bullet if you're healing yourself with no syringe and at low health, bandage if you're over 50%.

Grillbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By Grillbar

personally i think its great that they dont have that anymore, they were annoying and just in the way

though you can still remove bullets from you body. this time your arm. its rare but it happens, but more often then not its a scratch on the arm or a dislocated finger, sometimes a shard of glas that stuck in the hand.

the malaria was a pain in the ass, the jamming and degrading weapons were fine really but im glad its not there anymore.

but to be honest i have never finished FC2, tried twice and was stuck in the same place due to a game breaking bug in the storyline where the npc i needed to guide never reacted no matter what i did. same happend to my dad and a friends game

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#14  Edited By BeachThunder

Disappointing to see some of the more 'realistic'/immersive things go. Maybe I should just go play Miasmata instead...

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By AuthenticM

Nope. That shit was preventing me from enjoying the game to the fullest. It was a hindrance.

abendlaender

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By abendlaender

I kinda agree. Kinda. I always thought that the Malaria concept was interessintg but horribly implemented. So I guess I'd like to see that concept done well but if they can't improve it I'd rather see it go away.

Death_Burnout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 6

#17  Edited By Death_Burnout

@DxBecks said:

I haven't played Far Cry 3 yet, but I'm bummed they took out the weapon jamming. Not only did it add a bit of realism to the game but it created for some tense and awesome fire fights; nothing like watching your only weapon jam or spontaneously explode upon firing and now having to completely rework your plan of action while being shot at. I'm glad the Malaria is gone though, that was just annoying.

God damn THIS.

Gun jamming was one of the best parts in the immersion. I don't understand how it's dumb just because new weapons didn't jam for a while (there were upgrades to prevent it even further) if that's the case, surely it's less pervasive? It was a wonderfully unpredictable feature that had some amazing animations to go with it.

The malaria never bugged me, other than having to go find more pills. The effect itself was just another detail I liked.

I'm sad about the healing stuff too, so far I've only ever seen the same damn bandage animation and one broken thumb due to a fall.

Most immersion gets thrown out the window for me seeing as all the bullets on this island seem to filled with electricity, I'm tired of seeing dudes flash whenever you shoot them, I'm surprised they just don't explode into confetti afterwards...

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#18  Edited By cornbredx

It's funny to hear people argue about wanting gun jamming because "its more real" haha 
    Ya, if you lost your hand and half your face because the gun exploded when you tried to fire it and then had to play the game with one eye and one hand in immense pain that'd be more real too, but no one is advocating that. 

Video games are about fun. Yeah, guns jam in real life and I'll tell ya- it's not fun. It's a pain in the ass when that happens- that's why you gotta clean your gun a lot especially if you're somewhere where it's constantly getting dirty. It adds nothing to a video game for me but more nonsense. Maybe they can add a mode where people can pretend its more realistic and play like that but it doesn't really add anything for me.  

Just my opinion, of course. I don't play video games for realism, though. I get realism going outside.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#19  Edited By ProfessorEss

I'm torn. I really liked all these features in Far Cry 2 (yes, even the malaria) but at the same time I don't see why Far Cry 3 should have to include all of this stuff just because it's a sequel. I kind of like how each installment of the franchise has been a very different game from it's predecessor. So despite them taking out a lot of things I really liked in 2 it looks like they added a lot of new things that I'll really like in 3 and I think I'd prefer a new experience over a new version of the same experience.

Futhermore, I don't think they really had a choice considering the majority of players out there were not fans of these mechanics and the game would be in serious risk of flopping if reviewers dove right into how "All the same crap that you hated in Far Cry 2 is back".

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By ShaggE

Jamming, yes. Everything else, hell no.

I do wish there were a few more healing animations, though.

MiniPato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By MiniPato

Gun jamming and malaria were fuck stupid.

I probably wouldn't have minded gun jamming if there were a way to maintain your weapon in the field instead of running to your stash for a new one and if the gun didn't rust to scrap every 20 minutes. And malaria was just a lame way to necessitate additional side quest bullshit so you can get your pills.

SharkEthic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By SharkEthic

Everything but malaria, but I was one of the few that LOVED Far Cry 2...even kinda miss the sprinting fatigue where everything got kinda blurry.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By MikkaQ

Nope, those "features" made a good game tedious.

ghost_cat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By ghost_cat

I'm sure someone will make a mod for it.

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Ghostiet

Gun jamming is cool if they allow you to maintain your weapons on the field. If it consists of simple "lol I'd better run to my stash to swap my shitty gun for a brand new one", then it's tedious. Far Cry 2 in general was a very tedious game. I really liked it until the middle, when the game forces you to pretty much start over, but introduces something as shitty as mortar crews in an environment that's filled with tall grasses.

@SharkEthic said:

even kinda miss the sprinting fatigue where everything got kinda blurry.

Hahahah. I remember that. I find it funny, because that constant blur after running was the only thing to date that made me feel nauseous when playing a video game. I think I triggered that fatigue way too often in sequence in a short time.

Death_Burnout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 6

#26  Edited By Death_Burnout

@ProfessorEss: My issue though is that this game is just close enough to FC 2 for all of it's omissions and new design quirks to be highly noticeable.

@MikkaQ said:

Nope, those "features" made a good game tedious.

Hardly...It was the outposts that did that.

@Ghostiet said:

I really liked it until the middle, when the game forces you to pretty much start over, but introduces something as shitty as mortar crews in an environment that's filled with tall grasses.

Valid criticism!

@SharkEthic said:

Everything but malaria, but I was one of the few that LOVED Far Cry 2...even kinda miss the sprinting fatigue where everything got kinda blurry.

Me and you, man.

Avatar image for johnnyjohnnypaul
    johnnyjohnnypaul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I loved the idea of guns jamming. Anyone who owny a semi automatic rifle know even when you take care of it it may stil mis fire or jam every 50 or so rounds. how ever i thenk the should have had you maintian guns in safe house. I also beive that your charicter should adjust sniper scopes for a few seconds.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.