Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Far Cry 3

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Nov 29, 2012

The third installment in the series sees a reluctant victim battling nature, pirates, and the island's insanity-inducing jungle to rescue his friends and family from an island paradise gone horribly wrong.

Far Cry 3 Delayed (Thoughts)

Avatar image for s0mewh4td4m4ged
    S0mewh4tD4m4ged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 19

#1  Edited By S0mewh4tD4m4ged

"Ubisoft announced it is delaying the release of Far Cry 3 a few months. The game now ships on November 29 in EMEA and on December 4 in the U.S."

I was really excited about FC3 single player. It was going to be a game to tide me over until my more excited for games release: (Assassin's Creed 3, Halo 4, and Hitman: Absolution). Now with the delay I don't see myself purchasing this game at all unless it's on sale later next year and I am bored with other games (which is unlikely).

I don't understand why it would be delayed unless they came across a hugh bug and/or they weren't meeting a certain standard of polish. I think the game would have had much better sales in September. Now it has to compete with the likes of Halo 4 and Black Ops 2. Bummer....

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By BaneFireLord

I guess the $60 bucks I was going to spend on that will go towards Dishonored instead. Ah well.

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By DeF

Don't care, it won't make the game worse. This way I'll actually have a new game in early December (might turn this into a Christmas present for myself even)!

cyberhugger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By cyberhugger

Far cry 2 looks better.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By falserelic

And yet another game is delayed this year.

arimajinn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By arimajinn

with me being probably the only one that love FC2 i was really exited for FC3 but ... ur wright its not a good idea putting it up against really big franchises cuz it will likely not sell that good and i will not get FC4 :(

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#7  Edited By jakob187

Better boob technology?

Sold.

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By iamjohn

@S0mewh4tD4m4ged said:

I don't understand why it would be delayed unless they came across a hugh bug and/or they weren't meeting a certain standard of polish. I think the game would have had much better sales in September. Now it has to compete with the likes of Halo 4 and Black Ops 2. Bummer....

It comes out a month after both of them. How is it competing with either?

Now, if you wanted to make the argument that releasing a big holiday game after Thanksgiving, the biggest holiday shopping weekend of the year is pretty stupid and notably did not work for Prince of Persia when they released it that exact week in 2008, you might be on to something.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

It looked like it needed a few more months for polish. Draw distance and frame tearing looked kind of rough in that PS3 multi demo.

Avatar image for s0mewh4td4m4ged
    S0mewh4tD4m4ged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#10  Edited By S0mewh4tD4m4ged

@iAmJohn said:

@S0mewh4tD4m4ged said:

It comes out a month after both of them. How is it competing with either?

Now, if you wanted to make the argument that releasing a big holiday game after Thanksgiving, the biggest holiday shopping weekend of the year is pretty stupid and notably did not work for Prince of Persia when they released it that exact week in 2008, you might be on to something.

I think it is competing with them because its a first person shooter. Any FPS releasing within a month of Halo 4 and Black Ops 2 is just being sent to die in my honest opinion. The kids are going to be playing 1 or the other. I think most people wouldn't buy several games around the same time period.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#11  Edited By AhmadMetallic

The goodlooking yet incredibly scripted Crysis-wannabe first person shooter was delayed? Awwwww!

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By iamjohn

@AhmadMetallic said:

The goodlooking yet incredibly scripted Crysis-wannabe first person shooter was delayed? Awwwww!

You sure know a lot about this game that none of us have played. Tell us more.

Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Jack268

Maybe they realized they wouldn't have time to finish the DLC before it shipped.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#14  Edited By Phatmac

Guess it'll be better with more time? This looks like another case of a game that should get delayed. Its last release date was better if Ubi wanted to make more money.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#15  Edited By AndrewB

@jakob187 said:

Better boob technology?

Sold.

First game to have man-boob technology.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1
    deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

MP is a cod clone co op looks like a cheap add on single player could have potential but to me so far the gameplay just looks generic the only thing that is attracting me to the game is the setting and graphics but that's not enough for me to validate a purchase.With all these games being pushed I really hope to see GTA 5 this year I kinda doubt it but a man can dream.

frankatank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By frankatank

I find it weird that the game was only delayed by such a little bit... I am still excited none the less. Now I can put more time into Dishonored and Borderlands 2 though. I can play FC3 instead of studying for exams. Thanks Ubisoft...

UnrealDP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By UnrealDP

If the game's better for it then I'm all for it, man!

Totori

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#19  Edited By Totori

it's still coming out this year. It's not like it was delayed 6 months.

Avatar image for ownlyuzinwonhan
    OwnlyUzinWonHan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#20  Edited By OwnlyUzinWonHan

That's fine, it'll be longer until it's cheap on Steam so a few months don't bother me.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#21  Edited By MikkaQ

At least it's still this year!

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#22  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @iAmJohn said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

You sure know a lot about this game that none of us have played. Tell us more.

No need to pull out your binoculars and mark the enemies, a cutscene will take care of it. 
    No need to pull out your binoculars and mark the enemies, a cutscene will take care of it. 
    Sure.  
    Far Cry 3 is a goodlooking, pseudo-sandbox game that relies heavily on scripted events that usually involve the camera control being taken away from the player often, turning the game into a movie where I throw my mouse at the monitor and wait for the game to allow me to control my character again. That means when you approach an enemy base and try to scout it, for example, a cinematic is triggered where the game does all that work for you. Then something scripted happens afterwards. So it's almost as good as Crysis, except it doesn't have the balls to actually let you do everything. 
    When you enter a cave, scripted shit happens. When you enter a shack, scripted shit happens. When you jump into a helicopter, you ride as a passenger with a pistol and shoot dudes until something scripted happens to the helicopter. Usually a goodlooking crashing cinematic. So it almost lets you fly aircraft like Crysis, except we fly it for you, until something scripted happens, that looks good.
    That is called story. It's the evolution of video games. We make it seem like it's open-ended and sandboxy, but fuck you, we have a story to tell, so we're gonna booby trap everywhere you go with a script that progresses the story. Because video games are made to tell a story.  
    That also means QTEs. 
    The red indicators on your screen will be so big and constant they will form their own crosshair 
    The red indicators on your screen will be so big and constant they will form their own crosshair 

The combat consists two parts: Fire arms, and melee (machete).  During the gunfights, the AI mostly stand still shooting at you waiting for you to shoot back, with guns that barely feel or sound real but rather drop your enemies like flies even though the rifle is flying all over the place trying to jump out of your hands. Your screen gets filled with white sperm to tell you how close you are to being spotted, and gets filled with red semicircles telling you where your enemies are standing during a gunfight (after they discover you), ever indicating where enemies are and what they see and don't see, without allowing you to actually search for them or take the risk of going in and getting discovered. No, we here at the Far Cry 3 team will spam your screen with indicators for everything.  

On-screen prompt:
    On-screen prompt: "Jump to takedown" (Hint: Tap X) 

The melee consists of pre-animated stealth strikes where you have no control over how to strike the enemy except for tapping the prompt for the kill animation to trigger. Hell, when you try to knife someone, we won't just kill him for you when you tap a single button, we will slit the guy's throat then THROW the knife at another guys! That's two kills for one button push! When you slide down a zipline, you tap the same button (can you believe it?) and we will jump ontop of the enemy below you and drive a knife through his heart for you in a goodlooking cinematic. When you're on a cliff above a guy, tap the same button and he will be dead after a goodlooking cinematic.
    We also put in a seemingly intriguing and exotic story line where a madman keeps shouting nonsense, to intrigue you. 

This is an open world sandbox game where the freedom and control are given to the player completely. We don't hold your hand or play the game for you. Honest.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.