Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Far Cry 3

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Nov 29, 2012

The third installment in the series sees a reluctant victim battling nature, pirates, and the island's insanity-inducing jungle to rescue his friends and family from an island paradise gone horribly wrong.

Giantbomb is kind of bumming me out with this game

Icemo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#151  Edited By Icemo

@pyrodactyl said:

As I said in the first post, it's not about ignoring the differences between the versions, it's about toning down the hate unless the game deserves it.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-far-cry-3-face-off

Watch that first video. They have all the rights to fuss about framerate issues if it is so choppy as in that video.

thedj93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#152  Edited By thedj93

im only disappointed they didn't show footage of ps3. my xbox is dying and i think an open world, kinda buggy game with hours of exploration could be its death sentence. it probably looks indistinguishable from the xbox version but it would've been nice to see. im looking for footage of it running on ps3 but it looks like im going to have to wait until release date.

and yeah, i know it's out of their hands as long as the publisher doesnt send them a ps3 copy im just saying.

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#153  Edited By Azteck

@connerthekewlkid: I'm not upset, I'm stating an opinion that doesn't match with his. The crew has done no wrong in stating which version is superior. Take for example the Bayonetta review they wrote, where the PS3 and 360 versions had to have two different reviews written and different scores attached to them because the PS3 version was so far below the level of the 360 one. It's pretty much the same situation that this guy is talking about. The fact of the matter is that the 360 and PS3 are old, incredibly old, and it shows. So why wouldn't the people who review games for a living point out which version is superior on every level?

Avatar image for connerthekewlkid
    connerthekewlkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Azteck said:

@connerthekewlkid: I'm not upset, I'm stating an opinion that doesn't match with his. The crew has done no wrong in stating which version is superior. Take for example the Bayonetta review they wrote, where the PS3 and 360 versions had to have two different reviews written and different scores attached to them because the PS3 version was so far below the level of the 360 one. It's pretty much the same situation that this guy is talking about. The fact of the matter is that the 360 and PS3 are old, incredibly old, and it shows. So why wouldn't the people who review games for a living point out which version is superior on every level?

im just saying im pretty sure pc gamers will know they are getting the better version so why do they have to reinstate it in every quicklook

i mean i can understand if its worse but why do they have to say its better when that would be obvious to most people?

pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#155  Edited By pweidman

Well there's a day one patch for the pc version(fixes co-op problems...blah,blah,blah.), so can we expect the same for 360 to help improve the FR issues? Maybe some of our Euro friends know, as we don't have it yet in the US.

Alexandru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#156  Edited By Alexandru

@Bourbon_Warrior: BTW, did you try using tripple buffering? When you use V-sync without it, it just jumps you from 60 to 30 everytime you get under 60 fps, but with tripple buffering, it just skips some frames to maintain the lower framerate. if you only get in the low 50s as minimum, then the framerate skipping is barely noticeable and way better than seeing tearing. Only if it goes in the 40s and 30s is when frame skipping makes the game jittery.

I use 3DOverride from riva tuner to force it on all games since some of them dont accept it from the control panel. It should work both on ATI and Nvidia.

Oh, if you have Nvidia there is an option called Adaptive V-sync that will keep the screen v-synced when you get 60 fps, but drop it when you get under so there wont be any noticeable performance loss. I personally prefer the tripple buffering solution, but some people like this instead. I don't know if ATI has something like this (never owned one).

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#157  Edited By Azteck

@connerthekewlkid said:

@Azteck said:

im just saying im pretty sure pc gamers will know they are getting the better version so why do they have to reinstate it in every quicklook

i mean i can understand if its worse but why do they have to say its better when that would be obvious to most people?

There is literally no difference from comparing the 360 and PS3 version, and no one ever took offense to that. Why would anyone take offense to the staff saying that, hey, you probably shouldn't buy the inferior version. Look at that Micky game that was chugging along at like 10fps on the Wii U. Should they not have told people about that? This idea that they need to censor themselves because everyone knows that PCs are stronger is ridiculous.

beepmachine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#158  Edited By beepmachine

From what I saw in the Quick Look the 360 version was hard to watch because of the frame rate. Why wouldn't you want them to tell you if it's better on the pc? If it was shit on pc and great on 360 I'd still want to know.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#159  Edited By pyrodactyl

@Azteck said:

@connerthekewlkid said:

@Azteck said:

There is literally no difference from comparing the 360 and PS3 version, and no one ever took offense to that. Why would anyone take offense to the staff saying that, hey, you probably shouldn't buy the inferior version. Look at that Micky game that was chugging along at like 10fps on the Wii U. Should they not have told people about that? This idea that they need to censor themselves because everyone knows that PCs are stronger is ridiculous.

@pyrodactyl said:

The real problem with the crew speaking in hyperboles is that you can't tell if the console versions are just not as good as the PC one (AC3) or if they're dog shit (batman and mickey on Wii U).

jsnyder82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160  Edited By jsnyder82

@DarthOrange said:

@jsnyder82 said:

@blueinferno said:

@jsnyder82 said:

After watching the Quick Look, hot damn am I glad I have a good gaming PC. It looks like sweaty ass on consoles. Which wouldn't be terrible as long as it ran smoothly, but it seems choppy as hell, too.

Sweaty ass? That's a little ridiculous isn't it?

Normally it would be. But not for this game.

Sounds kinda hot. Whose sweaty ass are we talking about? Is it someone like Shania Twain or Scarlett Johansson or are we talking about Jeff's gnarly sweaty ass?

Shania Twain? How old are you?

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161  Edited By Spoonman671

They definitely go a little overboard sometimes with the comparisons.  The games usually don't warrant much more than a, "yeah, the PC version looks a lot nicer," which should go without saying anyway.  Sometimes it feels like the Giant Bomb guys have an axe to grind with the console manufacturers, due to the prolonged generation.  We all want new consoles, but I don't think we need to act like current console games aren't worth playing.  I think they're a little over-sensitive about framerates in general though.

connerthekewlkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Azteck said:

@connerthekewlkid said:

@Azteck said:

its not a matter of censoring its that they didnt just say it once in that quicklook which would be fine

its that they constantly had to shove it in your face

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163  Edited By Azteck

@pyrodactyl: They haven't been using hyperboles. They have said that the PC is the version to play because the 360 version is choppy as all hell, which is evident from both their QL and the eurogamer link posted earlier. I don't see where the issue here is.

@connerthekewlkid: I watched the Quick Look, and I have no idea where you are getting this idea that they constantly shove it in your face. When the game starts dropping below 20, they react just as anyone would. I'm sorry if you're somehow offended that they point out what version is the better one, but they are going to react to sub-par performance, and they have every right to.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164  Edited By pyrodactyl

@Spoonman671 said:

They definitely go a little overboard sometimes with the comparisons. The games usually don't warrant much more than a, "yeah, the PC version looks a lot nicer," which should go without saying anyway. Sometimes it feels like the Giant Bomb guys have an axe to grind with the console manufacturers, due to the prolonged generation. We all want new consoles, but I don't think we need to act like current console games aren't worth playing. I think they're a little over-sensitive about framerates in general though.

exactly, same thing happened with assassin's creed 3. Only time I've seen those comments justified recently was with mickey and batman on Wii U.

Redsox44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165  Edited By Redsox44

Not a big deal to me and I will be getting it for 360. If I had a good gaming PC I'd get it there too.

connerthekewlkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Azteck said:

@pyrodactyl: They haven't been using hyperboles. They have said that the PC is the version to play because the 360 version is choppy as all hell, which is evident from both their QL and the eurogamer link posted earlier. I don't see where the issue here is.

@connerthekewlkid: I watched the Quick Look, and I have no idea where you are getting this idea that they constantly shove it in your face. When the game starts dropping below 20, they react just as anyone would. I'm sorry if you're somehow offended that they point out what version is the better one, but they are going to react to sub-par performance, and they have every right to.

but then why not just judge the game by its own merits on its own console instead of trying to compare if to a machine that is 7 yaers ahaed of it?

its not the fact that they are mad that it drops to 20fps, its that they always have to somehow bring the pc into it when thats something its not even about

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167  Edited By Azteck

@connerthekewlkid said:

@Azteck said:

but then why not just judge the game by its own merits on its own console instead of trying to compare if to a machine that is 7 yaers ahaed of it?

its not the fact that they are mad that it drops to 20fps it that they always have to somehow bring the pc into it

They always have to bring the PC into it because it's a multi-platform game and the console version is the lesser version. Would you get as upset if they were saying that the 360 version was better than the PS3?

Trilogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#168  Edited By Trilogy

@Chaser324

It's semantics. I wouldn't be surprised if it's a bit of both to be honest. You have to imagine most major studios are working on at least one next gen title which may suck some of the talent away from the current gen stuff. That combined with what you and I are saying as pushing the console too far, it's not too surprising it's happening at all. I just wish we were past the "screenshot" days. You would think that would be the case in this day and age where internet dominates print magazines and most people who are serious about playing video games have a broadband connection to watch video. Studios can get away with the video stuff at big events like E3 because everything is running on high end PC hardware anyway. Point is, I don't appreciate the smoke and mirrors...regardless of what platform I play on. It's something we'll just have to deal with until next year.

TearsInRain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169  Edited By TearsInRain

Anyone can argue something is better on the PC or this system or that but the end of the day its the same great game. I intend to play it on my PS3.

Icemo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#170  Edited By Icemo

@connerthekewlkid said:

its that they always have to somehow bring the pc into it when thats something its not even about

Of course they compare this game to the pc version because it is also released on pc. If they were comparing an xbox 360 exclusive game to a different game released on pc and saying that the console game runs like shit compared to the pc game, then it would be justified to be mad at GB crews comments. Not when they are comparing a game between all the platforms it was released on (although they didn't say anything about PS3 version, but you get my point).

connerthekewlkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Azteck said:

@connerthekewlkid said:

@Azteck said:

its not the fact that they are mad that it drops to 20fps it that they always have to somehow bring the pc into it

They always have to bring the PC into it because it's a multi-platform game and the console version is the lesser version. Would you get as upset if they were saying that the 360 version was better than the PS3?

no because they are almost on the same level

but there trying to act like this 7 year old console should be able to match a new pc

M_Shini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172  Edited By M_Shini

To be fair its in they're job description to point it out. Its nice on the other side, now the pc ports are awesome sauce praised most the time now.

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#173  Edited By Rafaelfc

I wish they had played a bit more of the 360 version so that I could see how much gameplay was affected by the framerate issues.

Too bad they didn't.

As someone who doesn't have the option of playing on a PC (in the immediate future, I REALLY want to build a new gaming PC, mine is way too old) I want to know to which extent the console version is fucked, and they didn't expose enough of the game before dumping it for the better version, all I can tell is that the intro has a few issues and the graphics aren't as impressive.

I just wanted to know how playable the console version is, and if it's a good waste of 60 bucks.

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174  Edited By Azteck

@connerthekewlkid said:

@Azteck said:

@connerthekewlkid said:

@Azteck said:

but there trying to act like this 7 year old console should be able to match a new pc

They are very clearly not on the same level. Where have you been looking where the PC and 360 version were even close to being on par.

zenmastah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#175  Edited By zenmastah

The stuff they got on the 360 was not demanding on terms of what you have to do later on in the game, so the framerate will most likely be even worse at those points.

mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#176  Edited By mutha3

I want them to tell the audience if a game has a superior version. Don't be dumb.

connerthekewlkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Azteck said:

@connerthekewlkid said:

@Azteck said:

@connerthekewlkid said:

@Azteck said:

They are very clearly not on the same level. Where have you been looking where the PC and 360 version were even close to being on par.

i never said they were on the same level im just saying why are people so surprised that it doesn't look as good on 7 year old hardware

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#178  Edited By Azteck

@connerthekewlkid: Again, no one was surprised about it looking better on PC. The surprise was that it was bad on console.

Avatar image for bourbon_warrior
    Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#179  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

@Alexandru said:

@Bourbon_Warrior: BTW, did you try using tripple buffering? When you use V-sync without it, it just jumps you from 60 to 30 everytime you get under 60 fps, but with tripple buffering, it just skips some frames to maintain the lower framerate. if you only get in the low 50s as minimum, then the framerate skipping is barely noticeable and way better than seeing tearing. Only if it goes in the 40s and 30s is when frame skipping makes the game jittery.

I use 3DOverride from riva tuner to force it on all games since some of them dont accept it from the control panel. It should work both on ATI and Nvidia.

Oh, if you have Nvidia there is an option called Adaptive V-sync that will keep the screen v-synced when you get 60 fps, but drop it when you get under so there wont be any noticeable performance loss. I personally prefer the tripple buffering solution, but some people like this instead. I don't know if ATI has something like this (never owned one).

Thanks for that will try that tonight. First time i messed with the settings in Control Centre apart from when auto over clocking, but really not noticing much tearing, considering how much frames it costs for v sync

redbliss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#180  Edited By redbliss

Yeah, they over exaggerate how bad games look on consoles. Games have always looked better on PCs, it is nothing new. But now they act like the console versions look like complete trash. Best just to ignore it.

darkjohnny47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#181  Edited By darkjohnny47

I feel the same way. I have a PC (mac in bootcamp mode) to play games on that runs everything terribly. I'd rather play games with a controller and achievements anyway. Also, every time they say that the frame rate is terrible, I don't see it. There has been numerous quick looks and podcasts where they say that "x" game has a bad frame rate and I just can't see it. So, anyway, I will be picking up the xbox version and I will be happy with the crappy frame rate and all.

Alexandru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#182  Edited By Alexandru

@darkjohnny47: far cry 3 on PC works with a controller, and I think Uplay added achievements to ubisoft games too (although I may be wrong). But yeah, I get what you are saying.

plasticstars

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#183  Edited By plasticstars

@pyrodactyl said:

Hearing people half puking in their mouths while demoing the only version I can buy isn't really encouraging me to pick it up.

They're not obligated to encourage you to pick it up. If something about a game is messed up, they point it out and give their opinion. That's kind of what they do.

jdh5153

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#184  Edited By jdh5153

I thought it looked great on the Xbox. PC games are overrated if you ask me, it's all about having fun. I'm not going to criticize the freaking grass or something when I play.

zenmastah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#185  Edited By zenmastah

@Alexandru said:

@darkjohnny47: far cry 3 on PC works with a controller, and I think Uplay added achievements to ubisoft games too (although I may be wrong). But yeah, I get what you are saying.

Yeah, theres controller support and Uplay achievements, same ones work on Steam and you can also use Steam Big Picture to play on your big ass tv with a controller while sitting on a comfy sofa.

darkjohnny47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#186  Edited By darkjohnny47

@zenmastah @alexandru I know that Steam has achievements and controller support, but there's no way that Far Cry 3 is going to run on my computer. I can't even get Scribblenauts Unlimited to run decently.

SirPsychoSexy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#187  Edited By SirPsychoSexy

God forbid they talk about how they feel about a game

Dezztroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#188  Edited By Dezztroy

You sure can tell who has never played on a proper PC before.

1080p at a solid 60+ fps. It's night and day compared to the sub-720p, sub-30 fps of most console games.

stymie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#189  Edited By stymie

I can't really agree at all, here -- I want them to be brutally honest, because I want to know which version of a game is the best to buy. Some games I play on 360 due to multiplayer (or, rarely, PS3), but some are just superior on PC. If there's a drastic difference in quality between versions, I want to know.

kerse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#190  Edited By kerse

They shit all over AC3 as well, but I played it on the 360 and it never dropped low enough for me to care about it. You'll be fine op, I'll be playing it on 360 also.

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#191  Edited By Clonedzero

my issue with the way they did the quick look is they briefly showed the 360 version, then jumped right away into the PC version.

we all know the PC version is going to look and run better. i was more curious about the performance on the 360 than i was to see how pretty it looked on the PC cus duh.

Nekroskop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#192  Edited By Nekroskop

From what I've seen of the console gameplay, it's unplayable.

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#193  Edited By JoeyRavn

@Clonedzero said:

my issue with the way they did the quick look is they briefly showed the 360 version, then jumped right away into the PC version.

we all know the PC version is going to look and run better. i was more curious about the performance on the 360 than i was to see how pretty it looked on the PC cus duh.

There is absolutely no way for them to make everyone happy. When they demo the 360 version of a game (most of the time), people complain that it's not the PS3 version. For a change, they use the PC version and some people are grumpy because it's the PC version and runs well cus duh. What about people who want to see how the game runs on PC? There are enough QLs on 360 already.

There's no need to get so offended by this as some people in this thread have gotten.

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#194  Edited By Doctorchimp

It bums me out when I don't hear shit about the PC version....

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#195  Edited By Subjugation

@Clonedzero said:

I think you could get a good idea of console performance from what they showed. If it was being framey in the smaller, more linear areas then you can't expect it to be any better out in the open world where it's going to be rendering more.

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#196  Edited By kishinfoulux

@Animasta said:

what do you want them to say, exactly? it's not like what they're saying is inaccurate.

The thread should've ended here really. I get what the TS is saying, but facts are facts.

Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#197  Edited By Hitchenson

It's true though, console games tend to look like garbage, especially in comparison to PC. Doesn't mean it plays differently necessarily though.

studnoth1n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#198  Edited By studnoth1n

@kishinfoulux: not if the implication is that the console version is essentially broken and they fail to expound on the details. as journalists, if there's a serious problem with the 360/ps3 versions, i would hope they would feel somewhat compelled to go into a little more detail about it and make a conclusive statement. it's dishonest to release a game using the pc version as front, while charging full price for a botched version of the game. they should have made it clear, instead, i think brad (the most boring man alive) made some catty, flippant remark, which can potentially be misleading for people, especially if they're planning on purchasing the console version.

i understand that most of you may be somewhat marble mouthed about the whole thing, but this is their job, and they really do need to articulate their points better, and this is the real issue here people. otherwise, they might as well join the rest of the tmz-ified media.

Jumbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#199  Edited By Jumbs

@Clonedzero said:

Briefly? It was around 30 minutes of the console version. It was enough to show that it ran like junk, although why people are surprised by this in 2012 I am not sure.

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#200  Edited By Clonedzero

@Jumbs said:

@Clonedzero said:

Briefly? It was around 30 minutes of the console version. It was enough to show that it ran like junk, although why people are surprised by this in 2012 I am not sure.

it was the tutorial area. they didnt really show any open world stuff with it.

and dont use the "it was a linear tutorial and it had issues so of course it'd run bad open world". well in linear areas such as that, its more detailed and densely populated with assets. in open world areas its more spread out. so performance could have actually been better in the open world, in theory at least.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.