Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Far Cry 3

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Nov 29, 2012

The third installment in the series sees a reluctant victim battling nature, pirates, and the island's insanity-inducing jungle to rescue his friends and family from an island paradise gone horribly wrong.

I don't think I can finish this game. (Spoilers)

Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By Baillie

I only got this game a few days ago and I was loving it so, so much. Now, I've made it to the second island and I feel as though I'm not having fun doing anything in the game anymore. I really enjoyed climbing the radio towers, but now I feel as though it's a chore to even get there anymore. Most of my fun was liberating guard posts, but my god. It has gotten tedious. I want to go in and knife everyone, but with the heavy dudes who you can't do this to... great. Then if you get caught it's like the whole island's inhabitants rush to you. It's not too hard, I just don't find it anywhere near as fun.

The story is fucking awful, and I really, really can't be bothered doing anymore. The times where I have to infiltrate areas are not anywhere near as exciting as you'd think. Christ, I was saying for a good long while it was my game of the year so far. Now, I don't have the courage to trudge through it any more.

I am also one for enjoying the hunt for collectibles, much like Vinny. However, the thought of going to try and get those relics or anything, not enticing. Sad times.

DeathByWaffle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By DeathByWaffle

I think there might be an upgrade you can get that allows you to be able to knife heavies... maybe.

But I can see how the repetition would start to wear on you, however I still really enjoyed doing all the radio towers, especially because when you do the mission where you get the outfit of Hoyt's crew, you can pretty much just drive through enemy territory without anyone fighting you.

The second island really doesn't last long until you get to the last mission, so you don't have too far left to go.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#3  Edited By TobbRobb

This is basically my experience with the game. Except that I got to this low level of interest considerably faster.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
    MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By MariachiMacabre

There is an upgrade for Heavy Takedowns, but I kind of agree. I still like liberating outposts and the characters are still strong but the story has taken a really bad turn.

Avatar image for counterclockwork87
    Counterclockwork87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

The second island is WAY shorter than the first, it's pretty empty comparatively. I had fun all the way to the conclusion...it must suck to start hating something you payed for...it was great fun to me.

beeftothetaco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By beeftothetaco

That sucks man. I'm the complete opposite, I enjoyed it all the way through. In fact, this was one of the only games in recent memory that had a singleplayer element that held my attention this long.

EDIT: But I'm with you on the story. I started ignoring it completely after you kill Vaas.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1
    deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Mess with the sandbox editor and take a break from the sp you can have fun with the map editor messing with ai and exploding barrels.

Crash_Happy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Crash_Happy

@Baillie: Personally I think the game drops off a cliff about 2/3 through, and it's a massive shame. The second island can be rushed through is a very short amount of time so I would suggest doing that, and then afterwards you can always go back in and get the collectibles.

I'm actually thinking the games collectibles have some sort of bonus I've not heard off since I have a bunch and ended up on almost the last mission with one of the big cats almost sat next to me. We sat there looking at each other for a bit but it never attacked so I got back on with taking out the camp I had been going for.

KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By KillEm_Dafoe

Despite the fact that the story gets worse as the game goes on, I think the story missions get better. It's definitely worth finishing the game for those at the very least. Some of the missions towards the end of the game are awesome. 

When I got to the second island, I immediately got all the radio towers, one after the other, and did a few of the outposts on the way to the mission waypoints but never really went out of my way for the sake of completing all that stuff. It felt better not worrying about that shit. I had a lot of fun doing it, but I don't think I can be bothered to go back and finish doing all that stuff any time soon. Just get the rest of the towers, get the skill to knife heavies and focus on finishing the story and you'll probably have a better time.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@OneKillWonder_ said:

Despite the fact that the story gets worse as the game goes on, I think the story missions get better. It's definitely worth finishing the game for those at the very least. Some of the missions towards the end of the game are awesome. When I got to the second island, I immediately got all the radio towers, one after the other, and did a few of the outposts on the way to the mission waypoints but never really went out of my way for the sake of completing all that stuff. It felt better not worrying about that shit. I had a lot of fun doing it, but I don't think I can be bothered to go back and finish doing all that stuff any time soon. Just get the rest of the towers, get the skill to knife heavies and focus on finishing the story and you'll probably have a better time.

Pretty much this entirely.

Get those radio towers if you can, if only to snag that Z93 for free, which can takedown heavies in one headshot.

EDIT: Initially wrote wrong sniper rifle.

Avatar image for the_official_japanese_teabag
    the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

After I got on the second island, I had lots of fun trying to get all of the signature weapons/customizable weapons but I agree, it got pretty boring for some reason.  And the story is pretty shitty too.  It does not get better.  

Fearbeard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Fearbeard

I actually had more fun liberating the outposts and climbing the radio towers on the second island. I just had more available options.

Just mix up how you approach the outposts. I would usually snipe the alarm boxes from a distance, that way no help could arrive. Then I'd try to be stealthy and pick them off with a sniper rifle or sneak into camp. If you have only a couple enemies left that are grouped together try a stealth kill where you pull out there gun and take out the remaining guards with that. As for knifing the melees, there is a skill for that.

If you are bored, it sounds like you are approaching everything the same way. Mix things up. It's an open world game so all the game can really do is give you the tools and it's up to the player to use them in a way he likes.

Edit: and make sure you do the first mission on the island where you get the privateer uniform before trying to do anything else. The outfit you get will allow for fast travel on the island and safe travel outside of restricted areas.

mason

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By mason

Just finished Far Cry 3 and I agree. After Vaas, it was fun for a while trying different weapons and different approaches to outposts, but it didn't take long to lose my motivation. So I just rushed the ending and that was that.

Far Cry 2 was like this too. Great start that doesn't go anywhere interesting. Once you got transported to the second half of the game, I was ready for the game to end. I had already maxed out my favorite load-out and I was really just doing the same activities all over again. None of the "story" or "characters" (quotes intended) stood out enough to make me care about seeing the end. There was a brief moment where the change in terrain made things interesting. Like all of the sandy desert on the edges, or having a giant body of water in the middle. And it was fun to finally have some new combat scenarios. The thrill wore off quick. It took me a year to get around to trying to finish the game. In the end, it wasn't worth it.

I really like this style of open-world FPS. I just wish the studios under Ubisoft were better at pacing and knew how to make an end-game pay off.

Arnold8100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Arnold8100

I have played it.I'm totally agree with you.You'r 100% good here that the story is fucking awful, and I really, really can't be bothered doing anymore.But it never attacked so I got returning on with getting out the camping I had been going for.

MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By MariachiMacabre
    @Arnold8100

I have played it.I'm totally agree with you.You'r 100% good here that the story is fucking awful, and I really, really can't be bothered doing anymore.But it never attacked so I got returning on with getting out the camping I had been going for.[url=http://www.thepoolfactory.com/]above ground pools[/url]

Did you seriously just put an ad for a pool at the end of your post? Whaaaaaat?
    cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#16  Edited By cornbredx
    @MariachiMacabre: Its a spam bot
    MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By MariachiMacabre
    @CornBREDX
    Oh I know. I'm just concerned that they're evolving. Learning. Pretending they're...human...
    musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#18  Edited By musubi

Well thats unfortunate. I really liked it my self. Yeah, the story isn't great but I never found it actively offensive myself. Also as posted earlier you can upgrade to be able to stealth kill the heavies. Although I find it way more fun just to toss C4 at them myself.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#19  Edited By cornbredx
    @MariachiMacabre said:
    @CornBREDX
    Oh I know. I'm just concerned that they're evolving. Learning. Pretending they're...human...
    They are. Just the other day I caught one stealing from my garbage. Had to shoo it away with some.... 
    Sigh. This joke got lame, even for me =P
    Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Karkarov

I still don't get why people hate island 2 so much. You finally get guns that are actually good, the Towers are far more complex and start requiring a little bit of actual planning, the enemies are smarter and more fun to take down (though the flamethrower dudes are crazy cheap), and it isn't even that long an area. Story wise it is no worse than the rest of the game, Vaas is no longer there which sucks, but it isn't like his presence was constant even when he was alive. I will admit the missions aren't as cool as they could have been but they don't totally blow either. There is one sneaking section I hear people complain about a lot too but I beat it without very much issue, I am not the greatest thing since sliced bread so if it wasn't that tough for me surely it wasn't as near impossible as I have heard people claim.

Basically it is the same game, just not as easy anymore due to tougher enemies, and the story becomes more straight forward. You really don't go to Far Cry 3 for the story though, I agree it shouldn't totally suck, but it is serviceable and works.

EDIT: Also like many others have pointed out you can definitely get an upgrade for taking down heavy's. Or get a good sniper, or lure them onto a mine, or detonate some C4 on them, or shoot then in the face with an exploding arrow, or....

C0V3RT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#21  Edited By C0V3RT

@CornBREDX said:

@MariachiMacabre said:
    @CornBREDX
    They are. Just the other day I caught one stealing from my garbage. Had to shoo it away with some.... Sigh. This joke got lame, even for me =P

You just described Binary Domain in 10 hours fewer than it actually took to play the game...

MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By MariachiMacabre

I just finished it. It's worth finishing but man...should have saved Vaas for last. Would have been much more interesting seeing him lose his drug supply and go completely insane for half the game. Real shame, the story.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#23  Edited By Justin258

That's pretty much how I felt about the latter half of the game, except not so intensely as to completely drop it. I did finish it and here's what I have to say - if you've gotten to the point where you just don't give a fuck anymore, then stop playing. Maybe pick it back up for a bit in a week or two just to make sure, but don't try too hard to finish this game. There's literally nothing for you at the end of the game.

Arnold8100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Arnold8100

@CornBREDX said:

why spam this? You can share anything in this forum on any topic, so please create one, instead of spamming others. Thanks.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.