Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Far Cry 3

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Nov 29, 2012

The third installment in the series sees a reluctant victim battling nature, pirates, and the island's insanity-inducing jungle to rescue his friends and family from an island paradise gone horribly wrong.

Sinking ships....

thatlad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By thatlad

Ahhh the obligatory escape from the sinking ship....as far as I can tell pretty much every triple-A game since Modern Warfare has had this as part of their game. Uncharted 3 being the most recent example

Does anyone know if it was infinty ward who started this?

http://youtu.be/v2NptKVlMrk

Phoenix778m

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Phoenix778m

Is it sinking? Looks beached to be.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By Justin258

Remove the red jelly and damn it, I'm sold. And honestly, the dubstep is fine with me if it means I don't have to hear another cheesy orchestral soundtrack.

Honestly, the game itself looks a whole lot more open than any Call of Duty game has ever dreamed of being. Closer to Crysis than CoD.

EDIT: Aaaaaand the protagonist has voice. Aaaaand there's some crazy shit going on. Aaaaaand I am definitely interested now, red jelly or not.

evilrazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By evilrazer

I'm sorry, but is it Nolan North doing a voice-over for the main protagonist?

Masha2932

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Masha2932

I love that the map is on the screen now. Holding up the map while driving was terrible in Far Cry 2. I also hope they have fixed the problem of AI constantly spawning at checkpoints and have allowed the vehicles to travel faster than 55 km/h. A better fast travel system would be nice.

Also this is just wishful thinking but I'd love some motor-based flying vehicles instead of just hang gliders.

Can't wait for September, I hope this game is much better than Far cry 2 and that it has a greater variety of missions and a large Island. Also pleeeease Ubisoft don't bog down this game with silly pre-order stuff or lock out game content as DLC.

mikeeegeee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By mikeeegeee

@believer258: Your comparisons are funny. For two reasons:

1. Crysis was an extension of Far Cry

and

2. Fry Cry as a franchise has always been about its open world. This gunplay, I'll admit, does bear resemblence to Call of Duty. Kind of bummed at that actually. I like my differentiation.

stryker1121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By stryker1121

@Masha2932: I liked holding the map. it felt organic..although it also meant I'd swerve off the road and into a tree, or get stuck on a rock. Far Cry 2 had some great ideas and a unique atmosphere but some truly game-breaking mechanics. I'm about 60% finished on my playthrough and may never go back, just b/c of the pain in the ass checkpoint spawns and how annoying it is to get around the map.

spartanlolz92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By spartanlolz92

0___o he's right

id also like to add to that escaping from a ship being boarded. starwars/ halo.

i hope this game fixes what far cry 2 did wrong and improves on the things it did right.

characters seem very interesting and action seems good aswell

MiniPato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By MiniPato

It's not really in the process of sinking though.

And wow, looking at the youtube comments, I had no idea there were hardcore Far Cry fans.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#10  Edited By Justin258

@mikeeegeee said:

@believer258: Your comparisons are funny. For two reasons:

1. Crysis was an extension of Far Cry

and

2. Fry Cry as a franchise has always been about its open world. This gunplay, I'll admit, does bear resemblence to Call of Duty. Kind of bummed at that actually. I like my differentiation.

He... I knew these but wasn't thinking about them when I said that. I've beaten Crysis and went halfway through Far Cry 1.

Meanwhile, Call of Duty's gunplay itself feels great to me, so I have no issue with the game using that. FC3 also seems to have a lot more health since the character was out in the open a lot, moving and shooting dudes like mad instead of staying crouched behind cover like CoD often does. I can see the resemblances but I've played enough Call of Duty to know when something is doing things a little differently...

...and then we get to the ship part, where all that gets thrown out. Granted, a ship's insides are quite close quarters, but still. I hope that segment doesn't last too long.

And, on a final note, I wish the knife-throwing mechanic (where he stabs a guy and then tosses the knife into the next enemy) had been left once in that recent trailer and never shown again, or even shown before at E3.. It's already been shown enough to start getting mundane when it was awesome before, and that's not what the developers want.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By NTM

Oh no. No no no no no! Not more Nolan North. Dammit.

CptChiken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12  Edited By CptChiken

Theres A LOT of hate for tht game on that video... dont understand looks a whole lot of fun to me. 

@NTM said:

Oh no. No no no no no! Not more Nolan North. Dammit.

You are correct, there is far to much Nolan North around, but at least hes good at what he does.
    Phoenix778m

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Phoenix778m

I've never played CoD. Could someone explain how this is similar to its gunplay?

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By Aetheldod

This is a game I will play without music .... this dubstep (or brostep) fad has to die off

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#15  Edited By AhmadMetallic

That gameplay is so fucking shit compared to Far Cry 1. Every single moment there's a cutscene happening even as you're PLAYING, the camera goes out of control into a cinematic view as you move, your character panic-lunges at the enemies into a scripted animation when you hit a stealth button, there's a mission marker on the radar and a meter counter and the objectives glow in the world, etc.. 

Man I'm installing Far Cry right now, fuck this on-rails consolized noise.

Avatar image for deathstriker666
    deathstriker666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#16  Edited By deathstriker666

@AhmadMetallic said:

That gameplay is so fucking shit compared to Far Cry 1. Every single moment there's a cutscene happening even as you're PLAYING, the camera goes out of control into a cinematic view as you move, your character panic-lunges at the enemies into a scripted animation when you hit a stealth button, there's a mission marker on the radar and a meter counter and the objectives glow in the world, etc.. Man I'm installing Far Cry right now, fuck this on-rails consolized noise.

Cry harder

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @deathstriker666 said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

That gameplay is so fucking shit compared to Far Cry 1. Every single moment there's a cutscene happening even as you're PLAYING, the camera goes out of control into a cinematic view as you move, your character panic-lunges at the enemies into a scripted animation when you hit a stealth button, there's a mission marker on the radar and a meter counter and the objectives glow in the world, etc.. Man I'm installing Far Cry right now, fuck this on-rails consolized noise.

Cry harder

I'm trying
    PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By PeasantAbuse

Looks cool, but I'm waiting to see how this turns out. Far Cry 2 is probably worst game I've played on this generation of consoles.

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#19  Edited By Vinny_Says

@deathstriker666 said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

Cry harder

Yeah man this new CryHarder 4 is shit compared to the first CryHarder. I wish they would remake the same game over and over every time.

MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By MikeGosot
    @Masha2932 said:

I love that the map is on the screen now. Holding up the map while driving was terrible in Far Cry 2. I also hope they have fixed the problem of AI constantly spawning at checkpoints and have allowed the vehicles to travel faster than 55 km/h. A better fast travel system would be nice.

Also this is just wishful thinking but I'd love some motor-based flying vehicles instead of just hang gliders.

Can't wait for September, I hope this game is much better than Far cry 2 and that it has a greater variety of missions and a large Island. Also pleeeease Ubisoft don't bog down this game with silly pre-order stuff or lock out game content as DLC.

Looks like you're a fan of Sammy Hagar.
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @Vinny_Says said:

@deathstriker666 said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

Cry harder

Yeah man this new CryHarder 4 is shit compared to the first CryHarder. I wish they would remake the same game over and over every time.

You shouldn't ask for CryHarder sequels that are, as you put it, the same game over and over, because that's no fun. Call of Duty and AC: Revelations proved that. However, if there are key design choices that gave your beloved CryHarder 1 the name it has in the industry, that are being replaced by other key designs, which naturally alters the entire way you play the game, how it feels when you play it, how you approach the AI and how much brain and muscle effort it requires from you to get from A to B, then I totally support your demands to respect the older game and not disfigure its legacy.
    jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#22  Edited By jeanluc  Staff

Looks fantastic.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#23  Edited By mordukai

@Vinny_Says said:

@deathstriker666 said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

Cry harder

He does have a point though. This part just shows that Far Cry 3 is a just a prettier CoD. This game looks like it's going to have a PR that revolves around the action and not on the stealth that the first one had. I don't remember getting shot this much on FC1 and making it through like the guy in the demo did. I remember careful planning and sneaking because I couldn't take that many shots. One thing about evolving the game but another to completely ignore where the magic of the game comes from. I really hope this is just a PR stunt.

You also have to remember that evolution is not always a good thing. Games don't have to evolve in order to be good.

Phoenix778m

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Phoenix778m
    @AhmadMetallic thanks for the info. None of this really bothers me that much. I still think it remains to be seen how on-rails it will be. Animation is hard to do, it has to be controlled somehow or else it will be like Skyrim and look clunky and no weight behind it. Either that or they have to.make it like Gears and add a "zoom to action" button which is more annoying IMO. I just hope I don't get motion sickness like FC2.
    UnrealDP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By UnrealDP

@AhmadMetallic said:

I really really hope you're being sarcastic, man.

DougCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By DougCL

does anyone have any confirmation that that is indeed Nolan North? i need to know its actually him before i put in my pre-order.

other than that, the game looks pretty awesome.

warxsnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By warxsnake

Nothing about the game mechanics are on rails, if you are talking about camera animation and flourishes as you take someone down, welcome to 2010+ where that matters to most gamers (immersion etc). Using takedown features (stealth melee approach) are also not mandatory as the player is given access to dozens of other encounter possibilities including classic stealth weapon use. Every single part of the gameplay mechanic throughout the game is systematic and nothing is scripted.

Freak out some more.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By napalm

Far Cry 2 is pretty awesome, I think. That said, Far Cry 3 looks uninteresting.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#29  Edited By Oldirtybearon

The original Far Cry was pretty great, until they introduced the bullshit monsters. Far Cry 2 was a marked improvement on the Far Cry formula that offered a thought provoking look at how mercenaries effect destabilized regions (specifically in Africa), and this looks like a better Far Cry 2. I was sold before, but now? Man. I can't wait for this.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#30  Edited By ajamafalous

Loose lips sink ships

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.