Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Far Cry 3

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Nov 29, 2012

The third installment in the series sees a reluctant victim battling nature, pirates, and the island's insanity-inducing jungle to rescue his friends and family from an island paradise gone horribly wrong.

The Map Editor Looks Insane

MarkWahlberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By MarkWahlberg

(See what I did there?)

Ok but seriously, the reviews so far have mostly made the multiplayer seem like a throwaway bit of fluff on an otherwise great game, but I am totally psyched about this map editor thing.

It's not even just multiplayer! You can literally make your own levels to playthrough, which by definition means this is more of a Sandbox than almost any other Sandbox game ever. You are creating your own virtual play scenarios.

And holy shit do they give you a lot of stuff to play with. It's like they hired half the people who made the Sims games and made them just do that again, but decided to let you run around shooting everyone in the houses you build. Which, really, is the natural progression for the Sims anyway. You could easily spend days fiddling around with all this shit.

Of course, we can all see where this is going, right? Vinny's Law dictates any level creator will result in a recreation of 1-1 from Mario, but with all the shit they're giving us here, I expect there's going to be dozens of recreations of the LOST island. I will be sorely disappointed if I do not get a CTF level with flags at the Beach and the Other's compound.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Sooty

Great editor, mediocre multiplayer. We know it will die within a few weeks because it's not a military shooter. Or Halo.

#realityofconsolefps

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By Pie

I can't wait to see the hundreds of D-DAY maps again.

Avatar image for bourbon_warrior
    Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

They need to have a multiplayer playlist, kind of like what Plug.Dj is with peoples custom maps.So when it's their turn they get to select their map they created to be played and it gets rotated around the players for each round.

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Pie

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

They need to have a multiplayer playlist, kind of like what Plug.Dj is with peoples custom maps.So when it's their turn they get to select their map they created to be played and it gets rotated around the players for each round.

Far Cry 2 did have something like that.

Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

@Pie said:

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

Cool hope they do a Custom maps TNT. I'm just going to make flooded levels like I did in FC2 and add SHARKS AND BEARS!

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Pie

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

@Pie said:

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

Cool hope they do a Custom maps TNT. I'm just going to make flooded levels like I did in FC2 and add SHARKS AND BEARS!

Oh man I hadn't even considered that animals could be in the multiplayer. Can they?

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By Doctorchimp

Man...Far Cry 3 is gonna take my money....

I'm so glad I didn't play Assassin's Creed 2 and Brotherhood and skipped Creed 3. I'll pick this up instead.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#9  Edited By Justin258

So you can essentially use an expanded version of Far Cry 2's map editor to make single player levels?

...Amazing. That alone almost sells the game. I haven't watched the video 'cause work but I will soon.

EDIT: All right, now that I've (in silence) seen a lot of the video, I'm close to being sold on day one.

Scrawnto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Scrawnto

Ooh, a spiffy map editor might be the thing that gets me to buy a new processor. I've been looking for an excuse for a while now, and pushing a game engine to its limits always makes for a good time. I remember making rad pyramids of explosive barrels in Crysis' editor that would eventually crash my computer if I watched it explode for too long.

trav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By trav

This has been an unfortunate issue with the Far Cr series for a long time. The editors are always incredible while the multiplayer itself is so lackluster it undermines all the UGC. It's a bummer to know that this continues, but their editor has me interested, nonetheless.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#12  Edited By AhmadMetallic

I have my fingers crossed for this to be an amazing PC shooter, the likes of Crysis.

Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

@Pie said:

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

@Pie said:

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

Oh man I hadn't even considered that animals could be in the multiplayer. Can they?

They can as far as custom maps go, not sure about official maps.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#14  Edited By TobbRobb

I'm too lazy to watch the stuff, but I remember the Far Cry 2 editor being basically the epitome of awesome, except that you couldn't spawn or script AI.

So if its the same thing but with AI, SOLD.

MarkWahlberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By MarkWahlberg

@Pie: Yup. 1:21 in the second vid. Looks like every animal that's in the main game can be put in the editor.

Nergrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Nergrim

@MarkWahlberg: But that is just in the "singleplayer sandbox mode" as they say.

doesnt seem like you can add any animals in the multiplayer maps.

Fierrze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Fierrze

Yeah. If the map have animals or vehicles it can't be shared or played in multiplayer. Only in singleplayer sandbox, which is pretty lame. Atleast they have some petitions going on ubi forums so that atleast we would get some vehicles in our custom maps. But sadly, i doubt it.

Lord_Xp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Lord_Xp

I heard about FarCry 2 back in the day and didn't think anything of it, then I saw this and still wasn't interested in it until about a month ago. I've reading the background stories for each game to make sure I wouldn't be lost in this one. What really got me excited was the massive island and then this video came out and made me even more excited. I love sandbox type games letting me do my own thing. Making this even better is that you can create a single player level. I look forward to seeing what people create and hope I can make something halfway decent as well. Just so people know I'll be playing on the PS3.

Krakn3Dfx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

#19  Edited By Krakn3Dfx

@Sooty said:

Great editor, mediocre multiplayer. We know it will die within a few weeks because it's not a military shooter. Or Halo.

#realityofconsolefps

On consoles it'll be dead quick, but I can see a pretty substantial following on the PC that has a pretty long tail if there's a good way to create new content in the user community.

MildMolasses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#20  Edited By MildMolasses

If it doesn't require me to make cubes inside of bigger cubes, and then cut that shape out of the bigger cubes to make rooms or doorways, I'm not interested

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.