Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Far Cry 3

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Nov 29, 2012

The third installment in the series sees a reluctant victim battling nature, pirates, and the island's insanity-inducing jungle to rescue his friends and family from an island paradise gone horribly wrong.

This game is great.

• 113 results
    Syndrom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Syndrom

Man this is my GOTY for sure. Game is so cool. Engaging story so far. And the open world you get to mess around in is so great. I never liked Farcry 2 but this one has got me hooked so bad.

Blastroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Blastroid

Though it was out of the 4th. I got it on my Steam wishlist.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By laserbolts

@Syndrom: What version are you playing? I was considering picking up the 360 version when it comes out but im not sure if I should or not.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By AhmadMetallic

How much freedom does the game give you to do whatever you please and go wherever you want?

How much room is there for you to create unique scenarios with unpredictable outcomes? Do you have to mow down the enemy AI before the jam they spread on your screen, like mindless robots, fills up the screen, or can you mess around with them like they are real people?

In other words, how Crysis is this Crysis-ish game?

abendlaender

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By abendlaender

@Blastroid said:

Game is already out in Europe. And man, it is fucking amazing. I love it. It kinda reminds me of Stalker somehow......I need more Open World Shooters.

Grimhild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Grimhild

@Abendlaender:

Is the co-op open world, or is it just set piece missions. Still can't get a definitive idea on that, and I'd really like to run amok on the island with friends.

Syndrom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Syndrom

@Blastroid said:

I'm a europe duder :)

@laserbolts said:

@Syndrom: What version are you playing? I was considering picking up the 360 version when it comes out but im not sure if I should or not.

I'm playing it on the PS3, it's fine but the framerate can get sketchy in cutscenes. But if you have a beefy pc, go for that version for sure.

@AhmadMetallic said:

How much freedom does the game give you to do whatever you please and go wherever you want?

How much room is there for you to create unique scenarios with unpredictable outcomes? Do you have to mow down the enemy AI before the jam they spread on your screen, like mindless robots, fills up the screen, or can you mess around with them like they are real people?

As soon as the game opens up and that's about 45 minutes in, you're free to do whatever the hell you please. I spend about 2-3 hours just doing random stuff before i did a major story quest. Even when you start a quest you still are free to muck about.

You can in to pretty crazy situations, i was scouting out an outpost and i noticed two tigers lurking about, i threw rocks to lure them to the outpost and then all hell broke loose, the tigers mauled everyone in sight and i cleared the outpost undedected.

Here's another example, i was preparing to take an outpost, and i got jumped by a tiger, i panicked and started shooting with an unsilenced gun and the guards called in reinforcements, so all hell broke loose again but not in my favor.

The ai is pretty competent it seems and in combination with the dangerous wildlife things can get hairy pretty fast. I was running from a sketchy situation and i ran right into a tiger, i died.

this game is crysis 2 but without the crazy superpowers. But man stalking in the grass with the bow in the middle of a thunderstorm is the most badass feeling i had all year in a game.

This is the kind of world and characters Skyrim should have given. Vaas is an absolute master as a bad guy.

gaminghooligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8  Edited By gaminghooligan

glad to hear it's good. have you played with the map editor any? Is it possible to set up a singleplayer level you create as the trailers seem to suggest?

abendlaender

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By abendlaender

@Syndrom: Hmmm...Crysis 2 was pretty linear, this game kinda reminds me of Stalker, if Stalker was set on a tropical island and had less gameplay quirks.

@Grimhild said:

@Abendlaender:

Is the co-op open world, or is it just set piece missions. Still can't get a definitive idea on that, and I'd really like to run amok on the island with friends.

I haven't played Co-Op but I think it's just missions cause there are achievments for "clearing Map XYZ in Co-Op". Not sure about that though

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By MikkaQ

Yeah this game is really cool. It's a lot of fun to run around the island completing the side missions and unlocking the radio towers. Shooting feels good like it did in Far Cry 2 but the weapons don't jam and you don't have to scour for malaria pills. Also enemies aren't placed every 10 feet like in the last game, so it seems they fixed everything blatantly awful about FC2.

It just does a few silly things like limit how much money you can carry until you can craft a bigger wallet, Zelda style. I probably lost about 1000 bucks because my wallet was always full.

Progression here seems somewhat uneven. I couldn't find the one pig I needed to upgrade my wallet. Then when I finally did find a pig I had enough of the right skins from the other animals to make all the other tiers of wallet. Same thing happened with holsters, couldn't find a goat for a while then I found one and suddenly I could craft every other holster and carry the maximum amount of guns. So I went from feeling broke and underpowered to grizzled island warrior within half an hour.

I haven't played enough of the missions to tell how those go, but just doing side stuff is great. I can approach it as sneaky or loud as I want. Though being sneaky and using silencers seems to be overwhelmingly beneficial and going guns-blazing doesn't seem as empowering as it should.

Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
    deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@Syndrom said:

Man stalking in the grass with the bow in the middle of a thunderstorm is the most badass feeling i had all year in a game.

If I wasn't already in the process of installing the game, you'd have sold me on it all over again.

Soon!

Syndrom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Syndrom

@Abendlaender said:

@Syndrom: Hmmm...Crysis 2 was pretty linear, this game kinda reminds me of Stalker, if Stalker was set on a tropical island and had less gameplay quirks.

@Grimhild said:

@Abendlaender:

I haven't played Co-Op but I think it's just missions cause there are achievments for "clearing Map XYZ in Co-Op". Not sure about that though

By crysis 2 i meant the actual succesor to crysis. Yeah but the stalker comparison is good too, but with less rpg elements.

I haven't touched Co-op / mp or the map editor.

Blastroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Blastroid

This screenshot alone sold the game for me:

No Caption Provided
    Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#14  Edited By Yummylee

You're playing the PS3 version, too? Man, I wish I could simply look past the poor framerate as you have, because while the game does conceptually look fantastic, the framerate being like at a constant 20 or so fps is ruining the entire game for me.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By MikkaQ

@Blastroid said:

No Caption Provided

Dogs keep sneaking up on me and doing this and it scares the piss out me every time. EVERY TIME!

boj4ngles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#16  Edited By boj4ngles

Very happy to hear that it is good. Is the story telling better than Far Cry 2? I liked that game but I thought they needed to work on the story telling mechanics. The narrative got a little incoherent as the game went on.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Jimbo

@Blastroid said:

No Caption Provided

Coolest shoes I ever saw.

Syndrom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Syndrom

@Yummylee said:

You're playing the PS3 version, too? Man, I wish I could simply look past the poor framerate as you have, because while the game does conceptually look fantastic, the framerate being like at a constant 20 or so fps is ruining the entire game for me.

Hmm it's not that high, but i think it's higher than 20 man. But i don't have issues with it. And i stopped playing AC3 cause of the crappy framerate.

@boj4ngles said:

Very happy to hear that it is good. Is the story telling better than Far Cry 2? I liked that game but I thought they needed to work on the story telling mechanics. The narrative got a little incoherent as the game went on.

It's much better, jason (the dude you're playing as) is constantly evolving. And the other characters are great too, but vaas steals the show as supreme badass.

notdavid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By notdavid

@Syndrom: Have they made good on the rich white kid douchebag on an island premise yet?

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By onarum

I have to wait 5 freaking days still...

Syndrom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Syndrom

@notdavid said:

@Syndrom: Have they made good on the rich white kid douchebag on an island premise yet?

yeah man, when the game starts (like jeff says in the quicklook) you wanna punch these dudes. And he's really whiny at the start, but like i said he evolves into a role where he becomes this nutcase who starts to like killing.

the only thing that kinda breaks the immersion, is the fact that you can pick up a AK and start to use it rather effectively. I guess guns aren't that hard to master but still kinda weird. And i guess that's to keep things rolling instead in a game like stalker where shit is really hard in the beginning.

Avatar image for deactivated-6281db536cb1d
    deactivated-6281db536cb1d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Syndrom: The hardest thing about a gun is honestly learning it's reload mechanisms. Every manufacturer always seems to have a different spot for a release tab, and it's annoying. Other than that, in the close proximity he is in, he really just needs to understand that if he points at a person and pulls the trigger they die.

Now using sniper rifles on the other hand ... that takes a bit more practice, but who knows, maybe he used to be a sports hunter?

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By ProfessorEss

@GetEveryone said:

@Syndrom said:

Man stalking in the grass with the bow in the middle of a thunderstorm is the most badass feeling i had all year in a game.

If I wasn't already in the process of installing the game, you'd have sold me on it all over again.

Yes! That's the type of shit I play for.

For me there is no cutscene or controlled sequence that can match the awesomeness of when a set of variables come togehter, totally by chance, to form a perfect moment.

Syndrom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Syndrom

@ProfessorEss said:

@GetEveryone said:

@Syndrom said:

For me there is no cutscene or controlled sequence that can match the awesomeness of when a set of variables come togehter, totally by chance, to form a perfect moment.

This game definitely has that!

Lukeweizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Lukeweizer

I'm really torn on what platform to play it on. I bought the game about 18 months ago during an E3 sale on Bestbuy.ca for $40. But since that time, I've built a gaming PC and that's usually what I'm playing on anyway since I live with my girlfriend and don't have immediate access to the TV. But I just grew up on console gaming, so it's hard to let it go. Plus, I already got a cheap console copy. But I know I'd appreciate a better looking/ running game if I got it on PC. FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK. Someone hold me...

Syndrom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Syndrom

@Lukeweizer said:

I'm really torn on what platform to play it on. I bought the game about 18 months ago during an E3 sale on Bestbuy.ca for $40. But since that time, I've built a gaming PC and that's usually what I'm playing on anyway since I live with my girlfriend and don't have immediate access to the TV. But I just grew up on console gaming, so it's hard to let it go. Plus, I already got a cheap console copy. But I know I'd appreciate a better looking/ running game if I got it on PC. FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK. Someone hold me...

go for the pc version.

murisan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By murisan

This GAME. I just met the girl from the trailers.. the native one..

Also, I can finally combo takedowns, and I CROUCH-RUN YESSSS

DougCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By DougCL

i dont have it yet, but on the bombcast they were talking about them fighting bears. where in the world is there an island where both bears and tigers exist?

Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
    deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@Syndrom said:

@ProfessorEss said:

@GetEveryone said:

@Syndrom said:

This game definitely has that!

Emergent gameplay, friend.

From my first couple of hours with the game, I'm really impressed. Can't wait to spend some more time with it.

Edit: Also, the bow is the TITS!

Avatar image for deactivated-6281db536cb1d
    deactivated-6281db536cb1d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@DougCL said:

where in the world is there an island where both bears and tigers exist?
    No Caption Provided

Where all your wildest dreams become reality!

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Ares42

Been having a lot of fun with it today, but I'm afraid it's a tad too front-loaded. While it's nice to not have anything hidden I'm having a hard time seeing that doing these same things over and over will still be fun by the time I reach the end of the story. It just seems like the game will be better if you mainly focus on the story and only do the secondary stuff you stumble over on your way there, but at the same time the rewards you get from doing secondary stuff are just amazing. I'm not even a third into the game yet and I've gotten several rewards that are close to game-breaking because I've focused on secondary objectives.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#32  Edited By JasonR86

But what about the super-duper icky uber rich bro-dudes we need to so desperately kill?

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By AhmadMetallic

@ProfessorEss said:

And Bam, there you have it.

Chontamenti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Chontamenti

I agree this game is fantastic!

Playing the 360-Version and I'm happy with it. Clearly the PC-Version would be the way to go, but I don't have a PC with this capabilities.

Yesterday I said I'll pick this up because of the hunting stuff, and man it is great!

Probably a good candidate for GOTY..!

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By ProfessorEss

@allworkandlowpay said:

@DougCL said:

where in the world is there an island where both bears and tigers exist?
    No Caption Provided

Where all your wildest dreams become reality!

Dreams?

No Caption Provided

...or NIGHTMARES!!

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By AhmadMetallic

@Syndrom said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

As soon as the game opens up and that's about 45 minutes in, you're free to do whatever the hell you please. I spend about 2-3 hours just doing random stuff before i did a major story quest. Even when you start a quest you still are free to muck about.

You can in to pretty crazy situations, i was scouting out an outpost and i noticed two tigers lurking about, i threw rocks to lure them to the outpost and then all hell broke loose, the tigers mauled everyone in sight and i cleared the outpost undedected.

Here's another example, i was preparing to take an outpost, and i got jumped by a tiger, i panicked and started shooting with an unsilenced gun and the guards called in reinforcements, so all hell broke loose again but not in my favor.

The ai is pretty competent it seems and in combination with the dangerous wildlife things can get hairy pretty fast. I was running from a sketchy situation and i ran right into a tiger, i died.

this game is crysis 2 but without the crazy superpowers. But man stalking in the grass with the bow in the middle of a thunderstorm is the most badass feeling i had all year in a game.

This is the kind of world and characters Skyrim should have given. Vaas is an absolute master as a bad guy.

Sounds cool.

Can I quick save? Remove the "I'm about to get detected" indicator? Use 1-8 as hotkeys? Remove the flashing highlight on dead bodies? Filter/remove the icons crowding the minimap? Zoom in/out of the minimap, and customize it?

murisan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By murisan

@AhmadMetallic: Nope.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By AhmadMetallic

@murisan said:

@AhmadMetallic: Nope.

to ALL questions? o.O

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By MikkaQ

@AhmadMetallic said:

@Syndrom said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

Sounds cool.

Can I quick save? Remove the "I'm about to get detected" indicator? Use 1-8 as hotkeys? Remove the flashing highlight on dead bodies? Filter/remove the icons crowding the minimap? Zoom in/out of the minimap, and customize it?

It looks like you get more fun out of tweaking a game than playing it.

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Azteck

Tried co-op any? I'm very interested in knowing if it's any good, and if so I might pick it up with some friends.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By AhmadMetallic

@MikkaQ: The playing is not fun if I can't tweak feces off my screen.

murisan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By murisan

@AhmadMetallic: You can use 1-8. That's it.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By MikkaQ

@AhmadMetallic said:

Well the game doesn't have any distracting UI elements other than the typical prompt confusion that most games seem to have these days "Is it E to pick up the weapon or to loot the corpse? Oh both, okay... way to go." but that's easily ignored if you don't have OCD or something.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By AhmadMetallic

@MikkaQ said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

Well the game doesn't have any distracting UI elements other than the typical prompt confusion that most games seem to have these days "Is it E to pick up the weapon or to loot the corpse? Oh both, okay... way to go." but that's easily ignored if you don't have OCD or something.

I just finished watching the Quick Look, and I disagree. The white detection indicator line is incredibly annoying (seriously there's no HUD settings screen?), the flashing corpses and plants break the immersion, and the minimap is stuffed with icons.

Also, does the game rely on me tagging my enemies and watching their movement through walls, or can I choose not to use the wallhack and use my eyes and ears to detect and eliminate the enemy? Like, if I skip the tagging, would I get fucked?

jsnyder82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By jsnyder82

@Jimbo said:

@Blastroid said:

No Caption Provided

Coolest shoes I ever saw.

Yeah, I think the shoe manufacturer missed a few steps somewhere in there before selling these to the public.

murisan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By murisan

@AhmadMetallic: This game doesn't sound like it's for you, man. Sorry.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By AhmadMetallic

@murisan said:

@AhmadMetallic: This game doesn't sound like it's for you, man. Sorry.

Luckily I don't see things in black and white and divide my emotions into the two basic categories of love and hate. Nor do I decide what is and isn't for me based on a few little annoyances and a first impression. I like to believe I'm a human being with a somewhat sophisticated multi-layered brain who can enjoy and commend something while also scrutinizing it and being aware of its flaws. If you ever reach such a mentality, then I'll be interested in your opinion. Until then feel free to not comment on my posts.

I'm interested in this open world shooter that reminds me of my all time favorite FPS and I wanna know what it will allow me to do and what the experience will be like. What options it will give me and how I can get the most out of it.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By MikkaQ

@AhmadMetallic said:

@MikkaQ said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

I just finished watching the Quick Look, and I disagree. The white detection indicator line is incredibly annoying (seriously there's no HUD settings screen?), the flashing corpses and plants break the immersion, and the minimap is stuffed with icons.

Also, does the game rely on me tagging my enemies and watching their movement through walls, or can I choose not to use the wallhack and use my eyes and ears to detect and eliminate the enemy? Like, if I skip the tagging, would I get fucked?

See that's strange because after playing for like three hours I never noticed flashing corpses or plants. I guess they are there thinking about it after the fact, but I'd hardly call that a distracting UI element, it's way too subtle. It also makes things easier to find in the end which is good, because anything that slows you down in that game just saps out all the fun. It's a great game when you're constantly on the move, but the moments of looking around bushes for the animal you shot totally kill it.

As for tagging, I don't use it too much. It happens automatically though if you stare at something too long with your sights, and using the camera tends to tag the fuck out of everything whether you want it or not, so it's probably pretty hard to avoid.

But if these are the kinds of details that bother you with games like these, then I definitely recommend you stay away from this one. It's not the kind of game you place under close scrutiny, like Just Cause 2, it's the kind of game where you should be having too much fun to get bogged down in that kinda thinking.

SirPsychoSexy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#49  Edited By SirPsychoSexy

@AhmadMetallic: Slow down there buddy, no need for the douche baggery.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By AhmadMetallic

@MikkaQ said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

@MikkaQ said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

See that's strange because after playing for like three hours I never noticed flashing corpses or plants. I guess they are there thinking about it after the fact, but I'd hardly call that a distracting UI element, it's way too subtle. It also makes things easier to find in the end which is good, because anything that slows you down in that game just saps out all the fun. It's a great game when you're constantly on the move, but the moments of looking around bushes for the animal you shot totally kill it.

As for tagging, I don't use it too much. It happens automatically though if you stare at something too long with your sights, and using the camera tends to tag the fuck out of everything whether you want it or not, so it's probably pretty hard to avoid.

But if these are the kinds of details that bother you with games like these, then I definitely recommend you stay away from this one. It's not the kind of game you place under close scrutiny, like Just Cause 2, it's the kind of game where you should be having too much fun to get bogged down in that kinda thinking.

Very interesting. So you're getting a Just Cause vibe out of this game rather than a Crysis 1/The Saboteur/etc.. vibe? Maybe I'm approaching this from the wrong angle then.

I mean, Far Cry 1 and 2 were in fact serious games so I guess the studio took a new turn with this third installment. So this is basically a console-friendly, acrade-ish STALKER game? Hmm that actually sounds like fun.

I guess I can let all the handholding and screen indicators slide if the flow of this game is all about crazy action. I was expecting an experience a little more serious and skill-dependent is all.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.