Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Far Cry 4

Game » consists of 15 releases. Released Nov 18, 2014

Far Cry 4 puts the player in the role of Ajay Ghale and pits him against a deadly antagonist and an even deadlier environment. Caught in the middle of a brutal Civil War while fulfilling his mother's dying wish, Ghale must fight back against the oppression of Kyrat's leader, Pagan Min, while also battling the ruthlessness of the jungle.

Far Cry 4 PC Impressions

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By colourful_hippie

I looked online to see if there was anything egregious going on with the PC version and didn't see many serious complaints so I picked this up. Seems like a decent port in line with what Far Cry 3 was. It's running at a steady 60 for me with occasional drops to 55 or so and I have it maxed out except for AA at 1440p. Running this on an i7/980

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

These are Steam screenshots so you're going to have to ignore the compression but the game has a crisp look and is pretty much a slightly better looking Far Cry 3 which isn't too bad because FC3 looked pretty awesome on PC too.

Feel free to share your own impressions of the PC version. I hear that there are some bugs in the game but I'm not far enough in yet to notice anything too crazy

kubqo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

There does not seem to be problems with optimization as it is with Unity. But there are widespread issues with game freezing on launch or crashing during the beginning of the game. It appears to be some issue with uplay handling controllers (as it apparently was with Black Flag too). There are fixes for that, but it does not help everyone (myself included). Its amazing something like that could go through testing and hasn’t been dealth with.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By Corevi

After unhooking it from uPlay (I did buy it legitimately I just really don't want to deal with uPlay) I haven't had any problems. It having native support for the Dualshock 4 is really nice and even the touchpad works!

AAA PC Port of the year? Quite possibly.

johncallahan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I can tell that the PC version seems to be the best version yet again. Outside of the Uplay stuff (which for me didn't last long) no problems there. I did seem to overestimate my PC though, my old i5 and GTX 660 has run games just fine lately (Far Cry 3 for example ran beautifully), but alas it seems that it's no longer up to snuff. Even dropping the settings down to "high" the framerate is suuuuuper rough for me. Not indicative of the game, just a bummer. May just have to rebuy on the PS4 or One.

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Getting a 40-55 variable framerate with an i7 920 (this thing just keeps on ticking, man) and a R9 280x. Most settings at ultra, shadows on high, SMAA and SSBC on, tree relief off. The problem I am having is stuttering, it seems like the game has problems with loading parts of the world in, as it gets worse the faster you travel. Seems like only some nVidia users are having this issue, more so with AMD.

I went with nVidia for pretty much every single card I bought. Started PC gaming with a 8800 GT, bought a new one every 1.5/2 years. The one time I decided to go AMD, nothing but problems, across multiple games, ever since I got it. Never again. Actually, that should be their slogan!

AMD: Never Again™

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@doctordonkey: That was my experience with AMD as well. You think "It's so much cheaper than Nvidia and it has bigger numbers so it must be fantastic" but the optimization is AWFUL.

colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kubqo said:

There does not seem to be problems with optimization as it is with Unity. But there are widespread issues with game freezing on launch or crashing during the beginning of the game. It appears to be some issue with uplay handling controllers (as it apparently was with Black Flag too). There are fixes for that, but it does not help everyone (myself included). Its amazing something like that could go through testing and hasn’t been dealth with.

Never had those kinds of issues and I'm rolling with my 360 controller right now. Not sure if having the recent Nvidia driver update meant something significant in reducing issues though

gloomytangent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@colourful_hippie: The mouse controls are awful as well. Acceleration that you can't turn off, even if the setting in the menu is set to off. Otherwise it seems like a competent port, but goddamn I hate the way it feels right now.

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Getting a 40-55 variable framerate with an i7 920 (this thing just keeps on ticking, man) and a R9 280x. Most settings at ultra, shadows on high, SMAA and SSBC on, tree relief off. The problem I am having is stuttering, it seems like the game has problems with loading parts of the world in, as it gets worse the faster you travel. Seems like only some nVidia users are having this issue, more so with AMD.

I went with nVidia for pretty much every single card I bought. Started PC gaming with a 8800 GT, bought a new one every 1.5/2 years. The one time I decided to go AMD, nothing but problems, across multiple games, ever since I got it. Never again. Actually, that should be their slogan!

AMD: Never Again™

Yeah, I've never had good luck with ATI/AMD cards. Their drivers have been....questionable at best.... Since those bad experiences I've been Nvidia ever since. No problems and no reasons to switch yet.

kubqo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@corevi: you should check out Advanced Warfare, Thief or even Middle-Earth then ;-)

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kubqo: I actually played through all of Shadow of Mordor without knowing it supported the DS4.

Crysack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@corevi said:

After unhooking it from uPlay (I did buy it legitimately I just really don't want to deal with uPlay) I haven't had any problems. It having native support for the Dualshock 4 is really nice and even the touchpad works!

You should probably try it out with the mouse before you say that. The acceleration makes it unplayable for me and I don't particularly want to use a controller. It's almost as if the mouse is emulating analogue movement or something.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@crysack said:

@corevi said:

You should probably try it out with the mouse before you say that. The acceleration makes it unplayable for me and I don't particularly want to use a controller. It's almost as if the mouse is emulating analogue movement or something.

I'm not a K&M guy for anything but CRPGs.

anywhereilay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

gloomytangent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@anywhereilay: It makes the game seem like it runs way shittier than it actually does. Just a slow mouse movement to the side becomes a stutter step process as though the game can't quite decide what you're trying to do with this non-controller thing. Aiming down the sights in particular feels really awful, like aiming through molasses. Did no one in QA use a mouse?

Avatar image for shivermetimbers
    shivermetimbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Totalbiscuit reported framerate drops when driving (it was very noticeable) and he had SLI 980s so that put me off quite a bit. Anyone else having that problem?

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Totalbiscuit reported framerate drops when driving (it was very noticeable) and he had SLI 980s so that put me off quite a bit. Anyone else having that problem?

I haven't run into that. Maybe it doesn't play well with SLI?

gloomytangent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shivermetimbers: I've noticed that as well. It seems to be a streaming problem as the game loads assets in, at least that's my guess.

OGJackWagon69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By OGJackWagon69

So since this is mostly just more far cry 3, I'm probably not going to have performance issues running this at 1080p on an fx8320 with a 7950 right?

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Corevi

So since this is mostly just more far cry 3, I'm probably not going to have performance issues running this at 1080p on an fx8320 with a 7950 right?

You probably will have issues because it really does not like AMD.

thatdudeguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just to throw in my 2 cents, I'm running a GeForce 560 Ti from many years ago on an old i5 processor and this game runs just fine with most sliders set to High. I was disappointed earlier this week when I couldn't run AC: Unity at all (12-15 laggy FPS), but this game looks and runs great!

NVidia posted a really thorough walkthrough of the graphics options and had an interesting comparison of the FC4 engine's development versus the new AC:U engine's development: http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/guides/far-cry-4-graphics-performance-and-tweaking-guide

MOAB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By MOAB

@thatdudeguy said:

Just to throw in my 2 cents, I'm running a GeForce 560 Ti from many years ago on an old i5 processor and this game runs just fine with most sliders set to High.

Just out of curiosity, what does "just fine" mean?

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I edited an xml file that helped mitigate the stuttering people are having issues with. The file is called GamerProfile and it's located in "Documents/My Games/Far Cry 4". Open it with Notepad and run a search for "DisableLoadingMip", then change the value from 0 to 1. I don't know how well this works for everyone, but it seems to adjust how the game loads in new textures, which appears to be the cause. It has almost completely solved the issue for me.

anywhereilay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gloomytangent: Granted I only played Far Cry 3 this year, but it seems so strange considering it worked fine in that game. It almost feels like you're playing with an incredibly low framerate except well, you're not actually... Gonna stick to controller for now I guess.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

gloomytangent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alexw00d: Unfortunately the solution they have for the mouse stuff there doesn't work. I don't know if the game is changing it back or what, but setting it to read-only totally crashes everything. Given that the menu option just straight up doesn't work I'm not surprised that even going into the files doesn't work.

thatdudeguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@moab said:

@thatdudeguy said:

Just to throw in my 2 cents, I'm running a GeForce 560 Ti from many years ago on an old i5 processor and this game runs just fine with most sliders set to High.

Just out of curiosity, what does "just fine" mean?

Good question!

At 1080p, I was getting low-30's FPS at the bare minimum settings, which didn't look or feel that great.

At 720p, I'm setting most complexity sliders to High, AO to HBAO+, AA to SMAA, God Rays off, and Textures to Low, and getting 48-60 FPS. Switching AO to SSAO yields a steady 60 FPS at this resolution, but it makes a huge visual difference for me and I can deal with the occasional dip during combat.

TL;DR Not as pretty as on current-gen consoles, but I'm happy I can play it :)

colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thatdudeguy: I would just shut off AA and enable FXAA through the Nvidia Control Panel for even more frames

Wacomole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Wacomole

The opening cutscene is pretty impressive... but far less so the 12th time around after the game crashes again and again.

Then I finally got a gun in my character's hands, did a bit of stealth and shooting and made sure I kept going until after another "checkpoint" message flashed on screen before ending my session.

When I came back to the game expecting to pick up where I left off, I found that the "checkpoint" is not really a save point as the average person would assume and I had to start the entire prologue mission again. Thanks game! Well at least it didn't make me go through the opening cutscene again.

justicejanitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Getting a 40-55 variable framerate with an i7 920 (this thing just keeps on ticking, man)

I just OC'ed mine to 3.7 GHz. For a five (its it really five?) years old CPU, that thing is real trooper.

I'm probably going to give this game a try if it's on a sale during a holiday sale. I loved Far Cry 3.

Avatar image for underscore_underscore
    Underscore_Underscore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Anyone have any luck running this on a 750 ti? Id be happy running it with a good frame rate at 720, otherwise I'll just borrow my brothers ps4 version when he (eventually) finishes it.

obedox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Woah, this game natively supports the PS4 controller on PC? That's pretty awesome.

thatdudeguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thatdudeguy: I would just shut off AA and enable FXAA through the Nvidia Control Panel for even more frames

Thanks! I'll give that a shot

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@justicejanitor: Even better, it's six years old now. I will probably retire it after Skylake comes out, in which case it will have lasted me six and a half years. I might just have to frame it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.