Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Far Cry 4

Game » consists of 15 releases. Released Nov 18, 2014

Far Cry 4 puts the player in the role of Ajay Ghale and pits him against a deadly antagonist and an even deadlier environment. Caught in the middle of a brutal Civil War while fulfilling his mother's dying wish, Ghale must fight back against the oppression of Kyrat's leader, Pagan Min, while also battling the ruthlessness of the jungle.

FC4 is poorly optimized for the Nvidia 600 and 500 series.

Jorbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Jorbit

This game runs like ass on everything older than the 700 series. This is being ignored because people usually think "well yeah, those cards are old," but it's not really acceptable. Here's why:

Far Cry 4 on low settings looks worse than Far Cry 3 does on low settings. It has straight up graphical errors on low. Look at a tree in the sun with anti-aliasing off on low and you'll see what I mean. Why is it that Far Cry 3 can run on Medium-High on a 560 Ti at around 40 to 60fps, but Far Cry 4 can barely manage 'Low' at 30fps? Far Cry 4 is not that graphically superior than its predecessor, especially on the PC.

Yet everywhere I go people talk about how well optimized it is. The PC-Gaming Wiki praises it for running well "even on older GPU." Are people surprised that it's not as poorly optimized as Assassin's Creed was and therefore letting it slide by? This is the first game where the GeForce experience has recommended I downscale my resolution in order to run this at a reasonable framerate (30fps is reasonable for PC now apparently).

I plan to get a new GPU soon, but this game really dropped the ball in terms of its optimization for older hardware. The market share for 500 and 600 series cards or older is still pretty damn high so the fact that it runs this poorly is disappointing. Especially when their minimum specs include a 400 series which I severely doubt can manage a common HD resolution like 720p and 1080p. Do minimum requirements basically mean "you can launch the game and look at colors" now?

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

I mean, it probably technically runs on a 400 series, just you'd have to run it at 800x600 (or whatever the lowest common widescreen resolution is? I don't even know) and the framerate would probably be garbage.

But yeah, some companies seem to just be hoping that the only people who buy PC games at release are rich people with brand new hardware or something.

hero_swe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By hero_swe

...Don't know where my post disappeared off to. But I'll say it again, wiki's are usually community edited and so are open to public editing.

Also it's Ubisoft. I'm never surprised with them

EDIT: I swear it just disappeared again, good thing I copy pasted it before hand. Also not to derail the topic but man is the site running sketchy or what? Frontpage forum activity hasn't updated in 20 hours...

Jorbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hero_swe: Yeah I replied to you and then your post disappeared so it looked like I was talking to myself and I removed it, lol.

But yeah, I'm not surprised at Ubisoft as much as I am that in these 2 weeks the internet hasn't really noticed or been vocal about how poorly optimized the game is.

Doctorgta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

here is a fix for all of this! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipOpHRV5PA8&list=TLhJDyImZylzM

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

IT DOESN'T RUN ON FIVE YEAR OLD HARDWARE VERY WELL....

oh wait....why the hell should it run on hardware between three and six years old? I don't care if it was GeForce GTX 480 or GeForce GTX 590....that gear is out of date.

Y2Ken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 28

#9  Edited By Y2Ken

I'm running on a GTX 570 but I've never really noticed any issues. I should probably check my settings because, aside from once or twice where it's suddenly gone slow a couple of times for maybe 30-40 seconds, it's felt pretty good. I'm not one to notice framerates that precisely but I'd probably spot pretty quickly if it was dropping below 30. Maybe I'm just running it on low settings and haven't realised, but I don't turn many games down. Perhaps there's a specific graphical setting that's causing the issue?

EDIT: I have it set to Borderless 1080p on High with refresh at 60 and V-sync off. Like I say I've encountered a couple of major slowdowns but only for a brief moment and my co-op partner (who has a more powerful setup) encountered them simultaneously so that may have been a connection issue. Otherwise I've noticed no major issues.

I would note, however, that I still find the whole "playing on high" thing a bit odd. I read an article recently which queried the fact that people expect to be able to max settings and get 60fps - really the top-end settings should be doing crazy things and reserved for people with unreasonably powerful PCs. The idea that playing at low or medium is a subpar experience feels a bit strange.

Giant_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is it Ubisoft's problem?!

I mean shouldn't it be Nvidia's?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.