Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Far Cry 5

Game » consists of 30 releases. Released Mar 27, 2018

The fifth main entry in the open-world series, this time set in Montana. The protagonist must free Hope County from the cult known as Eden’s Gate, led by cult leader Joseph Seed.

Far Cry 5 - Worth It Just For Co-Op?

Brisaac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

My friend and I love co-op campaigns, and after seeing Dan and Vinny play some Far Cry 5 co-op, it immediately got hooks in us. I tried to look up details about the co-op experience, but the information seems vague and dated related to what the co-op is actually like. So, I've come to the best font of knowledge for answers.

I keep seeing tales that only the host's progress is saved, is that still the case? My buddy and I plan on only playing this in a co-op form, will we both still get trophies for completing story objectives? Will his character still progress?

Ultimately, if only one of us actually locks in campaign progress forever, but we both still can level characters/get achievements, I think that's worth it, sorta like Stardew Valley's progression, where the host makes a town and everyone else just exists in it, but has their own characters to level/relationships to form/gear, inventory, skills/achievement progress/etc.

I guess the heart of what I'm saying is: if we're only going to play Farcry 5 for co-op funsies, is it a worthwhile experience?

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Only the host gets story progress and story achievements, the co-op partner just gets money and perk points. You're also tethered together so if one of you strays too far from the other they'll be teleported. (which in the quick look resulted in the truck being wedged in the building) It's implemented pretty poorly but it can be fun if your co-op partner doesnt care about progression and is just along for the ride.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By NTM

You know what you have to know going into it, so it just depends on if you want that kind of experience where you or the other player doesn't get some progress. If you're going to tag along while the friend is the host, you will only gain progress through the items you pick up/buy and the upgrades you attain, otherwise, all the world/story progress won't save. If you are fine with this and your friend is, then you'll be alright. I am personally playing solo, so the experience is very slightly different. My brother bought my other brother the game on the One so they could play co-op, and now I'm playing it solo. When I watched them play, it looked totally fine. It may not affect other console versions but on the base console of Xbox One, I saw very noticeable screen tearing a frame rate hiccups compared to my solo playing in the same spots, so that may factor into it, but I don't know. The game has issues for sure, but I am enjoying it, and enjoying it slightly more the more I play.

The other thing they have done a bunch, and I very much enjoyed watching but I do not do on solo very much at all is jabbing a friendly A.I. in the face when they're midway through their dialogue and then kicking/shooting/throwing grenades at them when they're down, only to pick them back up for them to continue their speech. It's a good game. Some things that bothered me (like most of the animals seeming to be rabid) doesn't bother me anymore because there's a story explanation. The shooting grew on me; picking dudes off from a distance, or taking them out as they charge at me. The sound design and visuals are fantastic. I like some of the updates to the formula, like the simple way of moving through doors by walking/running through them which adds to immersion in my opinion. I also like the way they make you have to get some of the collectibles, or the 'diamonds' in this game. There are a variety of ways the environment is set up to do it, like climbing across a bridge with your grapple, jumping over water so you don't get electrocuted, or running out of a bunker that's on fire.

The things I don't like is that the upgrading and selection of weaponry seem simplified. I don't see that you can jump on enemies anymore to execute them. The story isn't terrible, but it's not effective in trying to sway me if that's what it's trying to do. I still don't get why Montana could be taken over so easily by a cult (I know the story reason, but I find it unrealistic), and I wish they would have stuck with one tone instead of jumping around because it mixes seriousness with humor, and while individually it somewhat works, it doesn't work as a whole. Also, some of the missions that could be affecting feel jarring and abrupt. Another thing is that one of the companions that tags along with me spout the same dialogue over and over and it's not too far in where I wish I could turn that part of the VO off. And I get that Far Cry has been about hunting and killing animals, but this game feels a bit over the top specifically in several side missions. They try to justify it with some dialogue, but it doesn't work.

All in all, it does have issues, but I'm enjoying it more than I expected to. So far, I have one county area almost fully done (there are about ten more side missions in it) but moved onto the Faith one and I think it's really neat. The fact the drug is actually a huge story point is more interesting to me than what was in the past games, so if there is an abundance of those goofy drug missions, it doesn't really bother me. The way the story progresses took me by surprise too because it's not a game, or so it seems, that you can complete every little side piece before doing the story. As you progress through side missions, the story will just hit you after a certain number of side missions done. Oh, and how many people in Montana still have home phones? It's a fine way to get across backstory of the world and what people are going through alongside paper found around the world that you can read, but I'm not sure it's all the realistic.

I am going to play it soon after I get off here. It hasn't been a game where I wanted to sink ten or so hours into when I have the time, but I am compelled enough to play it through and perhaps do all the side missions. Last night I did put in about five or so which is a good amount to tell if I'm into it. I have to work on Wednesday, so I have a couple days off to try and get as much done as I can.

notnert427

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

Absolutely. The co-op experience with my buddy and I has been the most fun "multiplayer" gaming I've done in years. Far Cry 5 already has a ton of moments where dumb/hilarious stuff randomly happens, and playing it co-op basically doubles those chances. The "no progression" thing hasn't been nearly the bummer I expected it to be, either. The campaign missions typically aren't that great, so the cash/perk stuff you get to keep from co-op is arguably more useful than campaign progress unless you're just a completionist. I recommend just doing non-story stuff in co-op. The game is at its best when unscripted nonsense happens anyway, and it's never hard to find/cause chaos.

I've loved my time with the game. I'm nearing the end, but both my buddy and I aren't ready to be done with it yet even though we've both done the campaign stuff mostly individually. Far Cry 5 is a good time, and if you've got someone willing to have some fun with it alongside you, it's even better.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.