Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Far Cry 5

Game » consists of 30 releases. Released Mar 27, 2018

The fifth main entry in the open-world series, this time set in Montana. The protagonist must free Hope County from the cult known as Eden’s Gate, led by cult leader Joseph Seed.

Is anyone else struggling to get into Far Cry 5?

The_Greg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I bought Far Cry 5 a couple of days after release day and I've only played about 6 hours at this point. Every time I pick it up, I get about 20 minutes in and turn it off due to boredom.

Far Cry 3 is one of my favourite shooters ever and I really liked Far Cry 4, but it seems that the series is has become stale. I love Far Cry 1 and 2 but they don't apply to this conversation.

Everything that Ubisoft has changed about the game has made it less appealing to me, even the exploration isn't as satisfying as what people are saying. Yes, it is more natural to come across things to do as you explore instead of climbing towers, but none of these tasks/jobs/missions are fun or interesting. The beautiful environments would be amazing to explore if they hadn't removed the joy of hunting and crafting.

The game still plays in the great way that the others did, with weapons that feel pretty sweet to shoot and mechanics that always made liberating outposts fun. However, it hasn't improved on any of it enough to make me want to do it all again for another 20 or 30 hours.

This isn't about the weak characters or story, either. It's a Far Cry game and, let's be honest, these aspects have never been particularly strong. I don't really come to Far Cry for intrugue and twisting plots, I come to murder folk and blow things up in new, interesting ways. The murder and blow-upery aren't new or interesting.

To put it bluntly, I think I'm done with the game. I can't be bothered wasting more time trying to get into it when there are dozens of other titles I can crack on with, old and new.

Does anyone else have the same issue?

I feel like I should put a disclaimer here: These are problems with me and my attitude towards the game, not problems with the game itself. I know that Ubisoft have created a really good open world action game, and something like this must be difficult in ways that I wouldn't understand.

PS. The upcoming DLC looks like it could be enjoyable.

Sarnecki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just finished Primal in anticipation of 5 and enjoyed it well enough. Hopefully having guns again will blow me away.

The_Greg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sarnecki: That might be a decent way to approach it, to be fair. I never played Primal.

FNGbomber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I felt the same way but then again, I never got super into any of the other Far Cry games. I was enjoying FC3 up until the point where I just couldn't stand the protagonists to keep going.

In 5 everything fell apart for me after that first little island you start in. Yes, the way you come across things to do is more natural but before long that sense of discovery is lost because you end up with a map full of barf the same. Brad was saying that this game has no downtime and I completely agree. The idea that Montana is supposed to be this desolate, not very populated area, yet you can't walk five feet without running into a pair of cultist riding four-wheelers was baffling to me. Not to mention all the annoying (albeit sometimes fun) bugs.

The_Greg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By The_Greg

@fngbomber: Totally agree. It kind of reduces the mystery and eeriness of the area when you're running into gun-toting psychos after every 100 yards of road.

briggs713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By briggs713

Yeah, about the same story as you. I've dropped it completely now that God of War has come out. I really need to stop buying Ubisoft games. I did the same thing with AC: Origins. I really can't stand these huge open worlds anymore. Also, they really need to figure out the shared progress for coop. I was going to play it my wife until I found out how dumb it was.

The_Greg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@briggs713: I've bounced off AC a few times. I hated the first game, then I tried the 2nd one after it reviewed well, hated that too. I got Black Flag on sale and that was the same. I'll never play one again.

I enjoyed Wildlands for its wacky bulls**t. Although it has come pretty far from what I want Ghost Recon to be.

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Try it co op. So much more fun

gerrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It is much more fun in co-op, but it definitely lacks variety. That might be part of why you are struggling - the game only really rewards a chaos-type approach, since the stealth is horrible, and the normal gun-play is boring. So if you already feel like you had a lot of play with the Far Cry model, this doesn't bring anything new except the setting.

My advice would be to do some of the side missions in co-op since they are actually pretty fun, then in single player grab a plane or helicopter and explore the world rather than trying to engage with the story at all. Just try and do stupid things with what you find, and try and see the different parts of the world before giving it up. There is fun to be had in exploring, especially doing the prepper stash missions, which are really rewarding.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By bybeach

There are other problems, but the first in mind is that the game is incredibly busy for me. I can stand by the side of the road and easily have three situations develop. They all reward you with some amount of loot, so I am going to have to learn triage, needing to save more civies, looting the hauling trucks and such.

The weapons have become adequate, though basic. I get a sense of doing it wrong because there are so many weapons to be unlocked, and there is a crafting system I have not really utilized. I just aimlessly drift through confrontations, chance meetings with NPC's with a problem, and finally a second story kidnapping. There are a large number of targets on the map, and if I get the chance I will actually do one. The one thing I have been consistent on is cleaning up the outposts.

Most of this is solvable. I will simply read up on the game and get my bearings.

It's odd though, I played Far Cry 4, and it fell into line quickly with what I needed to do. Here, it's like taking 2 steps in the world, and there is a white truck already, and it goes from there. As for the story and such, it's okay. I know all the in-between stuff is going to be silly, the story line not so much. The only other thing I could say is, if that there were that many black people in rural Montana, and everybody treated everyone okay like they do in-game (so far), there should be no race problem, just crazy quilt cultist problems. That would be wonderful as a microcosm of America. Life would be too simple.

Two last things' many of those Montana women are sure healthy looking. And I am extremely pissed my protagonist (a black dude) can't wear both a cowboy hat and aviator shades, which I bought both of. C'mon, game!

Ungodly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I didn’t enjoy a lot of this game, and dropped out after the second brother. I have only played four, but liked it enough to try this one. So I’m not over saturated with FarCry, just disliked almost all of it. Didn’t care for the weapons, and was very confused by having to unlock more guns, when they don’t have a lot of variety. Hated the characters on both sides, and would shoot quest givers after they tell me what to do to get them to shut up.

It’s been a while since a game turned me off more than this one did. I deleted it when I figured out where the story was going, then watched it on YouTube to see how close I was. For me it’s just lame.

Also I really didn’t care for the game continually trying to direct where I was going. I’m trying to fish, and I was constantly harassed by people trying to tell me where the quests are, and they would always bring enemies with them. I just wanted to chill damnit it. Very frustrating.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

It somehow finds a way to make a dynamic open world mostly dull. I enjoy this game the most when it breaks.

@bybeach said:

There are other problems, but the first in mind is that the game is incredibly busy for me. I can stand by the side of the road and easily have three situations develop. They all reward you with some amount of loot, so I am going to have to learn triage, needing to save more civies, looting the hauling trucks and such.

It's crazy to hear (lots of) people having this experience. Maybe I'm not far enough into the game (I've taken out only one of Joseph's lieutenants), but it really feels like I have to go find trouble. Occasionally, as I'm hiking through foothills and riverside underbrush, I'll have a van or a trailer truck stop and harass me. But if I'm not actively seeking out the outposts or doing missions I'm left with this surprising sense of emptiness.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e6e407163fd7
    deactivated-5e6e407163fd7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

Far Cry 5 just seems like a step backwards in every aspect other than looks.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.