Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Far Cry: New Dawn

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Feb 15, 2019

New Dawn follows up after the events that occurred at the end of Far Cry 5.

More fun than I expected

Sahalarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

Just picked this up on sale, it's exactly what you think it is but the overgrown, gorgeous "wasteland" really hits, and the increased vegetation makes it play more like far cry 3 felt, rather than the aggressive and call if dutyish vibes I got from FC5. Story is still throwaway but not aggressively bad. After rage 2 let me down this ended up scratching an itch

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

It's not bad. I wish the map were larger and there was more to do than finding cog pieces or whatever they were, but the characters and setting were fun and I liked the twins as villains. Plus, the Father was a pretty nead idea for a character, even if everything around him, particularly his family, was kind of undercooked.

notnert427

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

I had more fun with Far Cry 5 than most seemed to despite the awful story/characters, but this one looked like little more than a palette swap. The good thing about Far Cry is that you can always have a good time doing dumb shit in the open world, and I'm sure that's still the case here. However, the new aesthetic doesn't really do it for me, as Far Cry 5's more "realistic" environment was fine in my book, and I wasn't sold that there would be much to offer here beyond brighter colors and whatnot. Still, I'm glad to hear that you're having a good time with it.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4  Edited By NTM

I just bought it and finished it last week? Two weeks ago maybe. It was okay. I really enjoyed Far Cry 5 so I wanted to finally play New Dawn after procrastinating as no new games were out that I wanted to play. It turned out to be just, as I said, okay. Far Cry 5's setting and music, as well as the idea of a cult being the villain (even though the story wasn't great) I really liked about the game. It placed Far Cry 5 in my top three Far Cry games, and I wasn't even going to buy it. New Dawn is all throwaway.

It starts out decently but everything becomes monotonous and while I'm totally fine with games like The Division and its RPG-ness, it didn't really work in FC. I also felt the gameplay from a Far Cry perspective was lacking when it comes to progression. That said, the later abilities were neat as it harkened back to Far Cry Instincts to me. The setting was kind of disappointing and lacked variety. I didn't really feel too much for the locations you go back to either, nor did the game make me feel like I should.

The vegetation of pink rarely changes throughout your exploration. I went throughout the entire map and collected everything before reaching the end. The soundtrack was worse (different composer; they went back to Tyler Bates [which isn't a bad composer mind you]). Yeah, I just didn't love it but it was fine. Unlike FC5 being one of my favorites, New Dawn was one of my least favorites.

I'd much rather replay Far Cry 5 then reinstall and play New Dawn again. I will say, like Far Cry 5, it is very pretty though and uses HDR well.

Isslander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

I will paste in here something I wrote on another forum about it:

Far Cry New Dawn is not bad, really, but it depends.

+fantastic with a friend

+story missions when you want them, instead of them being forced upon you as in 5

+great weapons and gameplay in general

+companions upgrade as they get kills

+expeditions and Outposts have a new scaling system for repeated plays, which works

+/- Not the same random mayhem as in 5

+/- Hope you like looting and collecting things

-can only have one companion so no AI mate/animal on Co op

The AI companions with guns or arrows are fairly useless, and no Grace this time

-way shorter story and smaller map

-initial weapons are garbage and the upgrade system won't be to everyone's liking

-story is still bad and no payoff for the only interesting thread in there

-a bit of a downgrade in aesthetics, also this version of the post apocalypse won't be for everyone

So in general, if you have a mate to play it with, getting in for about half price is worth it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.