Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Fatal Frame: Maiden of Black Water

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Sep 27, 2014

The fifth game in the series, co-developed by Koei Tecmo and Nintendo, takes place near the fabled "Mountain of Death." Players use the Wii U GamePad as the Camera Obscura.

Apparently this comes out in 3 days.

Socuteboss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Anyone else excited for this? I'm still kinda bummed that it's digital only, and NoA seems to have somewhat censored the game.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I'm definitely excited for this! Gonna pick it up as soon as I can (europe same date?). Though I haven't really followed the release info at all, kinda just wanted it to fall into my lap when it's ready.

So what's this censoring about? Does it seem intrusive?

CreepingDeath0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm somewhat excited for this. We're getting a limited retail release here in the UK so I'm not sure if I should pre-order it or wait and try the demo just to make sure 100% like it.

Socuteboss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Socuteboss

@tobbrobb:

It's not a big deal, but some of the additional costumes for the characters have been replaced with Nintendo themed ones (Samus & Zelda).

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@tobbrobb said:

I'm definitely excited for this! Gonna pick it up as soon as I can (europe same date?). Though I haven't really followed the release info at all, kinda just wanted it to fall into my lap when it's ready.

So what's this censoring about? Does it seem intrusive?

They removed some sexy outfits as well as pieces of one character's story because she's in her underwear. Remember this is a M rated game.

Though if you're in Europe, you get the game uncensored.

Socuteboss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bocam:

Oh dang, they actually removed part of the game for the US release? I thought it was just the costumes.....

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@socuteboss: Yeah I looked up the specific changes, silly that they did it. But I also kind of don't care about what they changed, and the EU release seems even less affected so It'll be fine.

Socuteboss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tobbrobb:

It really annoys me that they actually removed part of the game though, I would be fine if it was just the costumes but actually cutting the chapter is super shitty, and due to region locks my only options are watching the cut content on You Tube, or buying a European Wii-U.

VoshiNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

Looking forward to a quick look, the trailers really haven't sold me.

God I sound like a douchebag.

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Cut content and missing costumes?

I'm passing on this, I hate practices like that.

Socuteboss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bocam:

How much was removed exactly? I'm looking around but I can't find anything about any part of the main game being cut.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bocam: I didn't see anything about story stuff being cut. That really sucks. :C

wildpomme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think it's been confirmed that the European release is uncensored. The reviewers are counting costume slots; I don't think they've actually unlocked all the costumes yet. Hopefully it is uncensored for the European folks, but if the Wii remake of Fatal Frame 2 is of any example, I imagine the European release of Maiden of Black Water will be censored just the same as the North American release.

I'm not at all surprised Nintendo is (at the very least) censoring the North American release, since that would be Nintendo being Nintendo. It's just really silly considering that it's already rated M. Nintendo shouldn't be removing sexually suggestive content from an M rated game just because they're afraid something (nothing) will happen; whether the lingerie outfits should be in the game from the beginning is a different question for a different time.

Makes me wonder how Bayonetta 2 even came into existence on the Wii U.

My original plan has been to play the FF games in order. I beat FF last year, and I've been meaning to start the Wii remake of 2, but I haven't gotten to it yet. I'm definitely buying Maiden of Black Water, even though I'm disappointed in Nintendo's decisions in censoring it and making it digital only. If I can find the motivation in me to actually play a video game, I'll probably play this and then go back to FF2 sometime later.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
    deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Funny how Reggie claimed at e3 that Nintendo would always have a physical option, yet here this retail game gets the digital only treatment.

Also it's like 16 GB so you may need an external hard drive to download it.

wildpomme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@turtlebird95 said:

Also it's like 16 GB so you may need an external hard drive to download it.

Oh shit, I didn't even think about that. My Wii U is only 32 GB. Even worse for the folks with the 8 GB Wii U. Ugh, Nintendo. :(

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

User Lists: 11

Sadly, the Destructoid review made it sound like it has many of the elements from the Wii version of Fatal Frame 2 that I hated: an over-reliance on holding the player's hand, the silly reaching for things and getting jumped by ghosts, etc. I would hope that the controls would be better than that piece of crap nightmare, seeing as how you can just aim the gamepad around, but I definitely am reserving judgement until I can play it for myself.

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Alucitary

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Alucitary

Holy crap, I love this series, but I had no idea this game even existed until Patrick posted his new video.

Loading Video...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.