Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Fate of the World

Game » consists of 2 releases. Released Sep 29, 2011

Is a turn based strategy game were you control the the fate of the world. Your main objective is to prevent climate change by playing various cards.

Fate of the World and new DoW2 expansion

Ultimadark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 4

Edited By Ultimadark

So two new games that I wanted came out yesterday on steam; Fate of the World and Dawn of War 2: Retribution. I had already pre-ordered DoW2:R and was waiting for a demo for FotW, but then I read that there isn't one coming out in the near future so I went ahead and bought it. Even if it turns out to be a total disaster, at least it wasn't very expensive. 

The mission select screen in Fate of the World

I started out yesterdays gaming night with FotW. Containing 4 missions, the first one of which is kind of a tutorial, one might think that this is not a very lengthy game. After playing through the tutorial and the first of the three real missions though, I'm not very concerned over this games longevity any more. It seems as if each mission will be pretty fun to replay, because even if I managed to get through the second mission (after reloading a save close to the end and changing some minor decisions), the world was in total chaos. North America was pretty much gone, ravaged by war, famine and poverty. The regions that I was still in control in were hanging by a thread, with civil wars, natural disasters discontentment with the GEO (i.e. the player) spreading like wildfire. I managed to get the world through to the year 2120, but at what cost? I will definately keep playing this game and probably review it here when I'm done. 

When time came to play DoW2, it was already pretty late (12:15 AM) so I didn't want to start a new campaign right off the bat. I instead opted to try out last stand, a mode that I played a little bit of in Chaos Rising and I was curious to see if they made any huge changes to it. I was paired up with two last stand veterans, each with more than one char at lvl 20 (which I believe is the max lvl), and together we tried out a new map. At first we all used lvl 1 characters, and we we're obliterated by the second wave, so this map is probably more aimed towards players who already got a high lvl last stand character. The other guys then switched to their high-level characters, and we were able to get to wave 18. Next time I will probably try the other map though. But, before that, more FotW is waiting and of course the DOW2:R campaign!

Ultimadark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Ultimadark

So two new games that I wanted came out yesterday on steam; Fate of the World and Dawn of War 2: Retribution. I had already pre-ordered DoW2:R and was waiting for a demo for FotW, but then I read that there isn't one coming out in the near future so I went ahead and bought it. Even if it turns out to be a total disaster, at least it wasn't very expensive. 

I started out yesterdays gaming night with FotW. Containing 4 missions, the first one of which is kind of a tutorial, one might think that this is not a very lengthy game. After playing through the tutorial and the first of the three real missions though, I'm not very concerned over this games longevity any more. It seems as if each mission will be pretty fun to replay, because even if I managed to get through the second mission (after reloading a save close to the end and changing some minor decisions), the world was in total chaos. North America was pretty much gone, ravaged by war, famine and poverty. The regions that I was still in control in were hanging by a thread, with civil wars, natural disasters discontentment with the GEO (i.e. the player) spreading like wildfire. I managed to get the world through to the year 2120, but at what cost? I will definately keep playing this game and probably review it here when I'm done. 

When time came to play DoW2, it was already pretty late (12:15 AM) so I didn't want to start a new campaign right off the bat. I instead opted to try out last stand, a mode that I played a little bit of in Chaos Rising and I was curious to see if they made any huge changes to it. I was paired up with two last stand veterans, each with more than one char at lvl 20 (which I believe is the max lvl), and together we tried out a new map. At first we all used lvl 1 characters, and we we're obliterated by the second wave, so this map is probably more aimed towards players who already got a high lvl last stand character. The other guys then switched to their high-level characters, and we were able to get to wave 18. Next time I will probably try the other map though. But, before that, more FotW is waiting and of course the DOW2:R campaign!

Bonewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Bonewood

In the BETA there was a extra Amazon scenario plus a bonus Himalaya scenario for steam users. What Happened to them, I was looking forward to them? 

Ultimadark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Ultimadark
    @Bonewood: I've got the steam version, and unless they've hidden those extra missions in some dark corner, they're not in the game as of yet. 

Edit: Just read this at the steam forums, from a developer: 

"We'll elaborate later today, but in short the Steam special content will be available to all Steam purchasers and will be released (free) on or very close to the 11th.

It will inlude the 'Denial' mission. More on that later  "  
    Bonewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Bonewood
    @Ultimadark: SOUNDS AWESOME!!! Thanks man XD
    Ultimadark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Ultimadark
    @Bonewood: I just posted a review of this game, you can read it here (I know it's a bit late :P)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.