Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Feb 10, 2009

Project Origin is the direct sequel to Monolith's spooky first-person shooter, F.E.A.R.

Demo Impressions

impulse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By impulse

Taken directly from my website awsy.tk

It seems to have become a trend that, I want to play Monolith games, but the gameplay just doesn't appeal to me. In the case of Fear 2 I really want to experience those brief moments with Alma, but I don't want to wade through all that generic shooter content.

Alma is really back in shape though, at one point during the demo I thought, "this needs more scary", seconds later I turn around to see her standing behind me. Later on she pops out of nowhere and grabs on to you, freaky. That being said, the setup is entirely the same as the first game. You'll be on your way shooting people with brief interludes of horror every now and then. It's like an action movie with scenes from the Ring inserted at random intervals. The shooting feels the same too, and while it might have been innovative when Fear first came out it feels very conventional by todays standards. Though at the very least Monolith did a good job on the environment as one of my biggest complaints about the first game was the monotonous office locals.

There is also a sequence at the end of the demo in which you get to play as a mech. Now the purpose of such a sequence would be to give the player a scene of empowerment, though that feeling quickly dissipates when you realize the moment you got into a mech everybody else did the same.

Are We Scared Yet? Terrified, there is some great horror in there, but can I be bothered to go looking for it? If I do pick this up it'll be on the strength of Alma's scares and my confidence in Monolith as a developer.

mugugipan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2  Edited By mugugipan

I just played it.
    Its not really scary and I think the graphics are actually worst than the first game,
    but the action is kick ass.
    I can't believe nobody is talking about this game.

I am getting it. Awesome, awesome game.

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By SmugDarkLoser
    impulse said:

It's like an action movie with scenes from the Ring inserted at random intervals.

"

yep, and that's one of the main reasons I don't care about it.

why not just make the gameplay somehow incorported in that school?  but no, you essentially walk through it (yea, they're ghost like things, but you barely fight them)
    JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By JoelTGM
    mugugipan said:
    "I just played it.
    Its not really scary and I think the graphics are actually worst than the first game,

I am getting it. Awesome, awesome game."
    wait, did you say you think the graphics are worse than the first game?  Are you playing on PC with low graphics or something, because on the 360 it looked amazing.
    wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#5  Edited By wefwefasdf
    DOUBLESHOCK said:
    "mugugipan said:
    "I just played it.

I am getting it. Awesome, awesome game."
    wait, did you say you think the graphics are worse than the first game?  Are you playing on PC with low graphics or something, because on the 360 it looked amazing."
    Yeah, the graphics are far superior.
    ShiroMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ShiroMe

Please let me change your terrible controls.

FiestaUnicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By FiestaUnicorn

I thought the demo played fine and I had a good time with it.  It feels a lot like the first game with the shooting and failed attempt at horror.  The graphics themselves are pretty average but the shooting is fun and the enemy AI works well.  However their are better looking shooters coming out so I doubt I'll be paying anywhere near sixty bucks for it. 

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By wefwefasdf

Do I need to complete the first game to understand what is going on? Is their a short synopses of the story somewhere?

Captain_Fookup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By Captain_Fookup
    SpikeSpiegel said:
    "Do I need to complete the first game to understand what is going on? Is their a short synopses of the story somewhere?"

wikipedia bro.
    atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By atejas

Controls and HUD are terrible.

Besides that, it's great.

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By wefwefasdf
    Captain_Fookup said:
    "SpikeSpiegel said:
    "Do I need to complete the first game to understand what is going on? Is their a short synopses of the story somewhere?"

wikipedia bro.
    "
    I just had that idea after I posted. :P I feel stupid...
    pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By pweidman

The demo felt like an add-on for the first game.  The action/shooting isn't bad, just nothing new at all.  It even looks very much the same.   Talk about a retread.   It's strictly a rent when bored game to me.  Too bad was hoping for more.

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#13  Edited By Pie

The shooting feels a whole lot'off but i do like the horror sequnces

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By pause422

The demo levels they chose to show weren't really a good choice imo. I'm definitely getting the game, but I know the biggest improvement Fear 2 is having over the first is that in plenty of the levels they will be much more open and not feel like the same office going around in circles. The demo didn't really do that justice at all, the only openness it had was once you got out to the Mech, then it cuts off mid part. Everyone has such weird things though they expect ina  sequel....you're not going to get an entire new feeling game or else it wouldn't be a sequel to the former game at all, this is just how it always is.

Fear 2 is basically Fear with sight shooting, and a few things like changing how the inventory works and allowing you to use some of the environment for your own cover, like the enemies did in the first game. Sequels aren't going to "innovate" anything somehow, just refine and make a previous game better(at least that's their point, besides continuing a story.) Fear 2 is definitely doing that, but its in the same vein with every other sequel, if you didn't like anything about the first game, this isn't going to change your mind, unless your only problem with it was the repetitive environments, since it improves on that.

FiestaUnicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By FiestaUnicorn
    SpikeSpiegel said:

Playing the first game will only make you wonder what was supposed to be going on in the first game.  Until you realize that the entire game you're really only chasing some dude.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.