Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Fez II

Game » consists of 0 releases.

The cancelled sequel to the original Fez.

Fez 2 cancelled because Phil Fish threw a tamper tantrum.

XenoNick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

Give it a couple of weeks.

confirm4crit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Like....This is fucking nuts.

This is just fucking nuts.

If you like Phil Fish or not, what Beer did is beyond disgusting. I've been seeing Blow and Fish's twitter accounts just be bombarded with *stupid fucking shit*.

Like, someone has to snap eventually, right? A group can only attack so long and then just "win", right? They've "won".

We should really probably take a step back and *grow up* a little bit. Yes, I'm on fucking Giant Bomb, we flush baked pastry down toilets, and that's a weird time to say that, but at no fucking point do you have a requirement to comment to a journalist about anything, especially rumors. At no point should an entire group have the power to hate someone out of their fucking profession.

Take a step back, and look at FEZ objectively. That was a game, if you like it or not, that's fine, but you can tell it was made by someone who loves/ed video games.

We, and I use "we" loosely, here, it's not all of us. clearly, have now hated a man out of something he loves.

*what*

Like, if you think he's an asshole, or a hipster, or whatever, more to you, sure. But it doesn't matter. Turn it off, ignore it.

At what point does entitlement stay that high?

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@eujin said:

Both sides acted like asses(except for Blow, really), but I'm pretty sure that Beer is more in the wrong.

I'm actually more interested in what John Blow thinks about this whole thing.

WightnNerdy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

This is childish.

deerokus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Fish probably needs some medical advice, he strikes me as having some kind of mental illness that isn't being treated. As someone who has gone through that... it's still hard to sympathise with him. He boasts about his life and his relative wealth, belittles people who aren't as well known as he is, then complains about people being nasty to him.

Landmine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I personally like Phil's perspective on the industry and I enjoy his sense of humor. That being said, it's unfortunate that he catches so much shit but in many cases he puts the target on his back. I'm not saying he's wrong, but if you are going to stick your neck out there, be prepared for the backlash.

SlashDance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#157  Edited By SlashDance
    No Caption Provided

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

I'm still waiting for the headline "Beer Battered Fish".

Do you work for the Huffington Post? Because if you don't you should.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#159  Edited By I_Stay_Puft
    Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
    TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

He is opinionated, but brash? That's just codeword for asshole.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@eujin said:

Both sides acted like asses(except for Blow, really), but I'm pretty sure that Beer is more in the wrong.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Avatar image for burningstickman
    BurningStickMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#162  Edited By BurningStickMan

@abara said:

guys... GUYS. wake up

his twitter icon is ANDY KAUFMAN

THANK YOU! I'm glad someone else noticed.

Next step, he and Marcus Beer appear on Letterman.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

@humanity said:

@colourful_hippie said:

@crimsonjesus said:

I'm totally okay with Phil Fish, he's hilarious and Fez was pretty good. He's obviously got some issues but so do a lot of people, those people just have publicists.

This is how I feel.

It's not that they have publicists, somepeople can simply control themselves.

Emphasis on some. Everybody doesn't have tough skin and are able to shrug off dumb shit like that. I don't hold anything against him for not being able to handle the situation more carefully which is why people like that need PR reps *cough*Dennis Dyack*cough*

You can't go around talking the way he talks and then when others talk shit back to you get defensive and hurt. If you don't have tough skin, then be civil and calm. You can't tell me that he doesn't bring a lot of this on himself - on one hand he antagonizes people and makes no effort to try to quell the drama surrounding him, and on the other he gets upset that people are mean to him. You can't swing both ways like that. At this point it's a vicious circle that keeps feeding itself but it started somewhere.

That's why I take issue with what @milkman says because you can't say oh Phil Fish is a funny asshole but Marcus Beer is an annoying asshole. They're both crass and unrestrained in the way they speak. You can't sympathize with one of the assholes and vilify the other. Ironically enough, Marcus Beer commented Blows and Fishs decision to decline a quote in the most "Phil Fishest" way possible.

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#164  Edited By pr1mus

Phil is emotional and impulsive to say the least but regardless of what he says and do, anyone who can listen to what Marcus Beer said in this particular instance or just what he does in general and say this is acceptable is out of his mind.

There are reasons why people like Fish and Jonathan Blow can become extremely irritated and garbage like what Marcus Beer spews on a regular basis is one of those.

Telling someone to kill themselves is not a first for Fish and certainly not helping his cause but people like Beer who contributes nothing other than negativity about EVERYTHING all the goddamn time should not have a voice in this industry.

Nardak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Phil Fish ...the comedy gold that just keeps on giving.

hakunin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@eujin said:

Blow on twitter:

Yes, it's true, sometimes developers can be more tactful and whatever else. But what gets thrown back at them, FROM YOU GUYS, is 100 times worse. Any comment on a developer's behavior is hypocritical when coming from THE INTERNET.

Niceanims

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for thesoutherndandy
    TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bazookaxp said:

@thesoutherndandy said:

@bazookaxp: dude if you're really gonna bring up Ryan as a way of justifying your opinion on these two acting like children you can seriously screw right off

Of course I'm not the fact that you would even imply that was my intention in bringing it up even makes me mad. I just couldn't believe that I saw a user on Giant Bomb making light of someone telling someone else they should commit suicide considering the recent circumstances.

I have major respect for Ryan and Giant Bomb and meant no disrespect with my comments.

You might wanna be more clear in the future then cause I wasn't the only one who took that from what you said. Also aside from the fact he was quoting Futurama, nobody actually thinks Fish is ACTUALLY telling Beer to kill himself. Nobody here is making light of anything to do with suicide, don't be nuts.

Again, blame falls on both of these guys, Phil can be a caustic confrontational personality at times who doesn't censor his thoughts before throwing them out to the internet and should expect that he's catch hell for it.

Marcus is playing up the 'hey i'm an asshole' shtick who saw an opportunity to take shots at two well known personalities and instead of discussing the matter professionally just threw more negativity out into the ether.

Video games being a bigger deal and social media bringing everyone closer together is great and all but the downside is getting a front row seat to all this stupidity and whereas I might have found it entertaining at one point in my life, I'm growing tired of it. Both of these guys need to look at what they're doing and how they're doing it and if it's having any positive effect.

Dan_CiTi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169  Edited By Dan_CiTi

Also, no artist or creator or whatever owes anyone ever a single interview of any kind. If The Beatles never conducted a single interview in their entire career, it wouldn't make Rubber Soul, Revolver, Sgt. Pepper, The Beatles, or Abbey Road any less of fantastic records.

Guys, I just want to say that even though I have no opinion on this argument (though I enjoy Marcus Beer's internet personality more than Phil FIsh's) do you realize the internet is awesome. We just witnessed the digital equivalent of two nerds hissy fitting and one of them leaving and crying. IN PUBLIC DOMAIN. We live in great times.

How is that a good thing? Something really lame, stupid, kind of boring, and negative happened? Yeah because two grown men being whining babies is so sexy and suave and cool and badass. It's just a spectacle of stupidity that resulted in a possibly awesome game getting canceled.

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#170  Edited By breadfan

For fuck's sake.That's a bummer. Phish and the other dude come off as two (equally) whinny cunts.This guy knew he was going to illicit some sort of reaction from Phish and goaded him into this whole bullshit argument. And I was an apoloFisht.

NathanStack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#171  Edited By NathanStack
    Loading Video...

Holy shit I'm fucking dying over here.

NegativeCero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172  Edited By NegativeCero

People like Fish really shouldn't be using Twitter. When something as silly as this elicited that kind of reaction, he should either go dark on the internet or grow thicker skin, which when you're getting as much attention as he does I imagine might be tough.

That said Beer isn't blameless.

XCEagle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pr1mus said:

Phil is emotional and impulsive to say the least but regardless of what he says and do, anyone who can listen to what Marcus Beer said in this particular instance or just what he does in general and say this is acceptable is out of his mind.

There are reasons why people like Fish and Jonathan Blow can become extremely irritated and garbage like what Marcus Beer spews on a regular basis is one of those.

Telling someone to kill themselves is not a first for Fish and certainly not helping his cause but people like Beer who contributes nothing other than negativity about EVERYTHING all the goddamn time should not have a voice in this industry.

I'm not sure when else he told people to kill themselves, but in this case at least he was referencing Futurama. Maybe not the best decision, but still seems like he tried to at least meet the attacks with sarcasm.

I'm not even a Phil Fish fan, but Marcus Beer has made him a sympathetic figure.

beepmachine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@confirm4crit: I pretty much agree with everything you said. If it was me I would probably snap too. At the end of the day I don't think anyone can really judge his actions since none of us know just what kind of stuff he has to deal with. And I think he's someone who loves games (like you said, just look at Fez) but hates most of what surrounds them. And that sucks, and is an industry wide problem. There's so many amazing people making amazing games, and so much fucking trash and hate and anger surrounding them for NO reason.

Avatar image for captain_clayman
    captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think Phil Fish needs a manager.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@humanity: I agree that Fish can be a dick at times and he's definitely deserving some blame here but generally (and I guess I'm not a complete expert on every beef he's ever had) he doesn't seem to just attack people unprovoked, like Beers did.

joshwent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@breadfan said:

Phish and the other dude come off as two (equally) whinny cunts

Hey. I admit that they've lost some of their experimental uniqueness since the 90's heyday, and maybe should have remained on hiatus to find a more interesting new direction, but leave Phish out of this.

gelf513

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Idk, I've enjoyed Beer's videos in the past. While I don't agree with every single opinion of his I think he does a pretty good job at calling people in this industry out on their shit. I think Fish and Blow could have easily said, "no comment" and moved on when press were asking for one regarding the XONE indie policy change. I'll be really curious if this game stays cancelled or not.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

Like....This is fucking nuts.

This is just fucking nuts.

If you like Phil Fish or not, what Beer did is beyond disgusting. I've been seeing Blow and Fish's twitter accounts just be bombarded with *stupid fucking shit*.

Like, someone has to snap eventually, right? A group can only attack so long and then just "win", right? They've "won".

We should really probably take a step back and *grow up* a little bit. Yes, I'm on fucking Giant Bomb, we flush baked pastry down toilets, and that's a weird time to say that, but at no fucking point do you have a requirement to comment to a journalist about anything, especially rumors. At no point should an entire group have the power to hate someone out of their fucking profession.

Take a step back, and look at FEZ objectively. That was a game, if you like it or not, that's fine, but you can tell it was made by someone who loves/ed video games.

We, and I use "we" loosely, here, it's not all of us. clearly, have now hated a man out of something he loves.

*what*

Like, if you think he's an asshole, or a hipster, or whatever, more to you, sure. But it doesn't matter. Turn it off, ignore it.

At what point does entitlement stay that high?

I agree that they don't have to answer questions, and the attacks based solely on people wanting them to comment on rumors and refusing to answer are ridiculous. At the same time, blowing up on people and acting like a primadonna about it when you happen to be someone in the industry that is considered to be a respected and successful indie developer that could possibly answer those questions or comment on them is a different thing as well. When it comes down to it, all sides of this are fucked thoroughly.

Fish and Blow are getting pissed because they are good at what they do and people would like to hear what people who are good at these things have to say about uncertain futures and rumors.

The press are getting pissed because these guys don't want to get hounded about things that don't directly pertain to them and instead want to talk about the thing they love: the games they make and play.

Marcus is getting pissed because that's his shtick and he felt the need to take it a step further because he has had a bug up his ass about indie devs for a long time, to the effect that he comes across as some meathead fuckwad that believes all indie devs are hipsters and such.

The people commenting are doing nothing but either digging the hole deeper for Fish to fall into or they are supporting him and he'll find some reason to lash out at them because that's what Fish does.

When it comes down to it, it's a lose/lose in every direction.

confirm4crit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I thought of another analogy. Let's say, hypothetically, that Iron Galaxy was showing off DIveKick on a stream with GB. We know that GB and IG are close friends, so they make really deep cut jokes at each other, "Hey, what version of flash is this?", har har har.

Let's pretend they weren't friends, and GB was slamming their product right in front of their face. They'd get upset, right?

That's all this was. Fuck Phil Fish. Call Phil Fish PenisWrinkle900, it doesn't really matter, he was openly attacked in that video. Fuck that. That's just gross. How GT even let that out, I don't know. I just wanted it again, it's not rude, it's fucking insane.

From the PolyGon Article: " "Gents," Beer said. "You were the guys who did Indie Game: the Movie. And some of you looked relatively normal in it, one of you looked like a total tosspot in it. But you can't have it both ways. You're successful game designers — you're 'indie' game designers — hurrah, good for you, you fucking hipsters." "

Go fuck yourself

CastroCasper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

That's probably the biggest bummer out of all this. Even if he does come back to make games, it would suck to have to quit doing what you love just because there was too much bullshit involved (even if you had something to do with that bullshit or not).

And on the other note, someone named the "annoyed gamer" needs to bitch about something every week. It's their thing. I wouldn't pay too much attention to it.

kagato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Why do people defend Phil Fish? The guys a complete ego maniac and only ever does anything when it serves his own interests, sure the guy pestering him is an asshole too, but that dosent make him any less of one. All this strutting around telling people that they hurt him? Is he two? Oh i hate everyone, no one loves me, im cancelling my game that im not even developing to teach you all a lesson!

joshthebear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ugh.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Loading Video...

Holy shit I'm fucking dying over here.

That was super slick, after only a couple hours.

I watched Beer's thing and I'm bummed about it. Never had a problem with him but the fact that "he's a total asshole most of the time!" is instantly followed with "I'm an asshole, that's my thing" is just... again, just a silly, unnecessary situation.

Let it be know that today I had to Google "tosspot" to see what the hell it means.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kagato said:

Why do people defend Phil Fish? The guys a complete ego maniac and only ever does anything when it serves his own interests, sure the guy pestering him is an asshole too, but that dosent make him any less of one. All this strutting around telling people that they hurt him? Is he two? Oh i hate everyone, no one loves me, im cancelling my game that im not even developing to teach you all a lesson!

Because people love their indie devs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=617lGZjYyNo

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#186  Edited By Blu3V3nom07
    No Caption Provided

I'm hoping for a good Jimquisition out of all of this.

Avatar image for thesoutherndandy
    TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@negativecero said:

People like Fish really shouldn't be using Twitter. When something as silly as this elicited that kind of reaction, he should either go dark on the internet or grow thicker skin, which when you're getting as much attention as he does I imagine might be tough.

That said Beer isn't blameless.

That would be the best thing for him to stay off Twitter. It was great this past week to see him freaking out about the Rift and the possibilities for gaming that it created but a guy who runs as hot and cold as he does isn't gonna be able to restrain himself and that's how we got to today. Insulating himself from as much of the asshat-ery as he can is about the best idea for him. For cryin out loud he's French Canadian, those people cannot be reasoned with. (kidding. mostly)

As for calling Marcus an asshat I don't hate the guy I like some of what he does but this was just vitriol an man, who needs that?

Deadlydog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You know i thought he was kinda cool on that thing he was on with GiantBomb, But for fucks sake he needs to grow up and learn how to ignore people...

Avatar image for deactivated-629eab11cc270
    deactivated-629eab11cc270

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You know what would be perfect? A week from now he just announces Fez 3. Fuck 2.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

@milkman said:

@humanity: I agree that Fish can be a dick at times and he's definitely deserving some blame here but generally (and I guess I'm not a complete expert on every beef he's ever had) he doesn't seem to just attack people unprovoked, like Beers did.

At the end of the day your actions will define how people perceive you. When Ryan passed away everyone had only the nicest things to say about him. He was regarded as a kind and caring human being even though people joking said that he would act like an asshole at times - but always knew when to apologize. That sort of reverence that everyone had for Ryan didn't just come out of nowhere, the same way the kind of negativity associated with Phil Fish didn't just appear out of nowhere. I also don't follow everything he says on Twitter but a majority of the time when I read about him it always seemed like he said too much when he could just as well have simply not responded at all.

ottoman673

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#191  Edited By ottoman673

Fish is a neurotic asshole.

When you're a prominent indie [oxymoron? work with me here] developer, and your games get the attention they do, you become poster boys for the scene you come from. Blow's at least handling himself maturely, Fish told someone to kill them self and locked his Twitter account, and cancelled his next game. [for now.]

That said, Marcus's attack was a little bit pointed, but a lot of people have said a lot of shit to both Blow and Fish in the past. Shit happens. One person's opinion isn't going to ruin your development future, shrug at it, and move on.

The fact that Fish always has to be right will be his downfall.

MocBucket62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Really? Fez II is gone just like that only because Phil got mad?

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

JouselDelka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#194  Edited By JouselDelka

Yeah "Go Phil".

Let's ignore the fact that he told Marcus that he should kill himself on twitter.

http://i.imgur.com/xPu9fff.png

Damn, baby.

Also annoyed gamer, angry gamer, mad gamer, whatever. Fuck all these turds, what a shitty gimmick.

Loading Video...

Mystyr_E

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 93

maybe he'll pull a MS and say "because of the support and feedback of the community, we've un-cancelled Fez 2 and you will be supplied with a dick you won't be able to choke on. love phil"

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#196  Edited By Animasta

The fact that people think it was just this one person who caused him to fuck off is insane. It's been happening for years (not without provocation admittedly) and this was the straw that broke the french canadian's back.

Avatar image for deactivated-6620058d9fa01
    deactivated-6620058d9fa01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Everybody on the internet secretly wishes were Phil Fish.

MideonNViscera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#198  Edited By MideonNViscera

Nobody's ever gonna stop taunting this guy now haha

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

@joshwent said:

@breadfan said:

Phish and the other dude come off as two (equally) whinny cunts

Hey. I admit that they've lost some of their experimental uniqueness since the 90's heyday, and maybe should have remained on hiatus to find a more interesting new direction, but leave Phish out of this.

Whoops.

Gruff182

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love Phil Fish.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.