Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Fez

Game » consists of 15 releases. Released Apr 13, 2012

A puzzle platformer developed by Polytron that uses a 2D perspective shifting mechanic to solve puzzles and complete levels. The main character, a white creature named Gomez, wears a fez and is obsessed with collecting hats.

Let’s Share Fez Notes!

• 87 results
    patrickklepek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By patrickklepek
    No Caption Provided

Note: If you have not played Fez, do not read further. There are spoilers. You have been warned.

209.4%. Feels good.

There’s a moment when the Fez you've come to know ends, and the real Fez begins. Making heads or tails (or owls) of anything required me to keep the lights on and a pen handy. Soon, the nonsense began.

That nonsense was absolutely crucial to finding my way through the labyrinth of logos, maps, and ciphers that awaits anyone who wants to explore the other half of Fez, which may as well be a completely different game. It was often frustrating, always maddening, but lead to fist-pumping a-ha elation.

I didn’t come up with the idea for sharing notes about Fez--that distinction belongs to this brilliant Tumblr blog--but I wanted to bring that idea to the Giant Bomb community. Also, that blog didn't allow me to attach more than a single image, and I sure as hell had more than a page of Fez notes!

If you, like me, appreciated the joy of cracking Fez’s codes, please share your notes, too!

...or you can just laugh at how many times I had to scratch out ideas that didn’t make any sense.

patrickklepek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By patrickklepek
    No Caption Provided

Note: If you have not played Fez, do not read further. There are spoilers. You have been warned.

209.4%. Feels good.

There’s a moment when the Fez you've come to know ends, and the real Fez begins. Making heads or tails (or owls) of anything required me to keep the lights on and a pen handy. Soon, the nonsense began.

That nonsense was absolutely crucial to finding my way through the labyrinth of logos, maps, and ciphers that awaits anyone who wants to explore the other half of Fez, which may as well be a completely different game. It was often frustrating, always maddening, but lead to fist-pumping a-ha elation.

I didn’t come up with the idea for sharing notes about Fez--that distinction belongs to this brilliant Tumblr blog--but I wanted to bring that idea to the Giant Bomb community. Also, that blog didn't allow me to attach more than a single image, and I sure as hell had more than a page of Fez notes!

If you, like me, appreciated the joy of cracking Fez’s codes, please share your notes, too!

...or you can just laugh at how many times I had to scratch out ideas that didn’t make any sense.

Avatar image for trevorisamazing
    Trevorisamazing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Trevorisamazing

God i need to play this.

DoctorWelch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By DoctorWelch

CANT WAIT TO PLAY THIS!!!

The quicklook made it seem boring, but now that I know there is all this stuff in it I cant wait.

killer_catt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By killer_catt

Hmm.. Now I'm afraid of playing this! xD

Grimluck343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Grimluck343

Really need to pick this game up.

IAmNotBatman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By IAmNotBatman

I just beat the game with minimal entry to the finish line and feel too intimidated to touch the game again, staring at a video game for 3 hours trying to figure something out doesn't seem like any fun at all when I could just pop in The Witcher 2 and move on with my life.

solidwolf52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By solidwolf52

I feel like this game deserves a quicklook redux.

MustardDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By MustardDragon

Video please! I'm talkin' deep round table discussion. With notes, screenshots, the whole thing. Thank you.

Juda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Juda

I finished everything, found everything, finished everything again, and only had 193%. /shrug

Romination

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By Romination

I love the notes on the clock. My notes for the clock were "come back at 9".

vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By vitor

Man, so annoyed I let so much get spoiled. Should have waited for the bombcast discussion but I got it day 1 and hit the forums soon after. I had no idea it would get to this level of complexity so I never even thought to look at the world and decipher things. Thought it was just a platformer with mild puzzle elements and that I'd get a new ability at the end that let me decipher the codes without any work.

Plus I never came across a certain Rosetta stone like room on my first playthrough so missed out on a big clue which meant I was frustrated enough to read just a little too much online. Wish I could have participated in the weird and wonderful online meta-game for this but alas, I was too busy with study and too much in a rush.

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By Winternet

I'll play Fez . . on the PC. Yeah, still have ways to go.

p1zzaparty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By p1zzaparty
    No Caption Provided

Here's mine, about 35 cubes or so into the game. So you know, just getting started:

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#14  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

Here are mine

No Caption Provided

I used frequency analysis to translate the language that's why the "the" word was so important to me.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#15  Edited By LordAndrew

That looks absolutely horrifying.

mrcraggle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By mrcraggle

I've seen conflicting things about notes. People say that you really need to be paying attention to that stuff and others have said that they managed to solve them without and that note taking was not necessary. One of our very own members collected all 64 cubes within the very first day.

TwoLines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#17  Edited By TwoLines

I've got some!

Edit: Bonus footage!

I didn't even recognize the tetris shapes on those blocks! Man, seems like that was sooo long ago.

drowsap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By drowsap

I loved fez a little ashamed that i did cheat a little bit had to find out some of the alphabet and numbers still had a few eureka moments so im happy i played it

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By hatking

Am I alone in having enjoyed the game before all this crazy shit started coming up, but now that the game requires more research than a term paper, being afraid to get invested?

theveej

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By theveej

man this shit is crazy. I was interested in Fez before, but now this looks a bit too complex for a video game. Don't get me wrong, game looks awesome and I'm not knocking anyone down for playing it and deciphering mad shit in it, props to you all. For me, If I am going to use substantial amount of brain power and a multiple hours to decipher a video game, I might as well use that effort to do something productive in either making some money or learning something new.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#21  Edited By Phatmac

This is way too weird for me. o.O

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#22  Edited By BeachThunder

o_O

*slowly backs away from thread...*

yeah_write

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By yeah_write

Fez bums me out. Not because of what it is, but because it reminds of what I can't do right now. I have a six month old baby, a wife, a dog, and lots of freelance work (on top of my day job). I played through Fez and got the first ending, and I know there's so much more, but I just can't go after it. At the end of the day, when I have 30 minutes to an hour to play a game before crashing into bed, I want to turn my mind off, not bust out the notepad.

I LOVE that Fez has this crazy mystery locked inside. I LOVE that it's bringing people together, even if I have to watch from the sidelines.

Jeff wondered on the last podcast if someone that didn't go after the secret stuff would enjoy Fez for what it is. I did. It was a visually appealing platformer with some clever, but not very taxing, puzzles. Of course I knew that the extra stuff was there, lurking under the surface as I played. That added a layer of satisfaction for me--knowing I hadn't seen it all. The secrets called to me.

"Austin, I'm here. If you ever have time. Maybe when the kid gets older. Maybe during those slow summer months. I'm here."

Until then Fez.

thebrainninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By thebrainninja

I just reached the kill screen last night, and started wandering around afterwards...to be honest, I hardly know where to begin. I've documented (with screenshots more than scribbles) things that may or may not be significant, but I understand so little. I figured I'd start with the bell, because it seems like that's key to some other parts of that area...but I haven't yet figured out how many of the things relate.

It's tough, because I don't want to look at outright solutions, but sometimes I really want to get some hints when my wheels are spinning. My roommate lent me a book on cryptography, but I don't think I have enough in-game context to make sense of it.

thebrainninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By thebrainninja

@Vitor: Man, seeing so many people reference the Rosetta Stone makes me want to know which room it is...but I don't know that I would know what to do with it if I found it.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By 20183242

This, right here. This is madness. Just so you know.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#27  Edited By Bollard

Yay for having everything in the game and being stuck at 200%. Fuck you broken leaderboards.

George_Hukas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By George_Hukas

I think articles like this and "meta game" and "hive mind" severely over hype what is actually going on. The game was great, but I haven't been this disappointed in awhile.

SeanCoughing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By SeanCoughing

I'm still on my first playthrough (still working on that 32 cube door) so i apparently haven't gotten to the "true" fez yet. I'm loving the shit outta this game (saving it for weekends,) the art, music and puzzles i have managed to wrap my head around all give this strange sense of magical wonder that makes this game so refreshing to me.

seannao

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By seannao

How do I unlock the STEAM version?

jonnyboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#31  Edited By jonnyboy
    My house looked like every serial killers house in every movie about serial killers by the end of Fez.This is me figuring out the Metatron puzzle. Basically spent about 3 hours doing anagrams. Also although this is a single player game, I played it Co-op simultaneously with a friend over party chat. It was an amazing ride.
    My house looked like every serial killers house in every movie about serial killers by the end of Fez.This is me figuring out the Metatron puzzle. Basically spent about 3 hours doing anagrams. Also although this is a single player game, I played it Co-op simultaneously with a friend over party chat. It was an amazing ride.
    brewster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By brewster

Says a lot about me that I got to 32 cubes, started New Game+, played for about 30minutes and then turned on Trials instead. I can understand those who want to solve puzzles like this, but mixed with the travelling back and forth, I got very bored, very easily

jonnyboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#33  Edited By jonnyboy

@Chavtheworld said:

Yay for having everything in the game and being stuck at 200%. Fuck you broken leaderboards.

I purchased the game minutes after it was up on the market place, between that point and now I have yet to see the leaderboards, Keeps telling me I'm not conected to XBL. On the podcast when they were talking percentages I was like "What the fuck are these guys on about?". I've collected all the cubes, items and built the heart, so I'm calling it complete.

Khane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Khane

In a brilliant move I started my note taking on generic post-its. By the time I finished the game I had a table full of them. I trashed them before I could get a picture though.

Christoffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Christoffer

DO YOU SEE!!! You're all crazy!!

Edit: DO... YOU... SEEEE

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#36  Edited By Bollard

@jonnyboy said:

@Chavtheworld said:

I purchased the game minutes after it was up on the market place, between that point and now I have yet to see the leaderboards, Keeps telling me I'm not conected to XBL. On the podcast when they were talking percentages I was like "What the fuck are these guys on about?". I've collected all the cubes, items and built the heart, so I'm calling it complete.

Dat sux hard! Me too.

LongMasterWolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#37  Edited By LongMasterWolf

@theveej said:

man this shit is crazy. I was interested in Fez before, but now this looks a bit too complex for a video game. Don't get me wrong, game looks awesome and I'm not knocking anyone down for playing it and deciphering mad shit in it, props to you all. For me, If I am going to use substantial amount of brain power and a multiple hours to decipher a video game, I might as well use that effort to do something productive in either making some money or learning something new.

But you are learning something new in Fez.

jaqen_hghar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

#38  Edited By jaqen_hghar

I used ten pages of my notebook for this game. Best ten pages ever spent. I also did most of it myself, though I had to look up a few things. One thing was the numbers. I just couldn't understand it, and after looking it up I now know I would never have gotten it myself. So I don't feel bad about that one. The second one was the actual pangram. I found the stone, saw the fox and the dog and knew it was something special. But since I am not a native English speaker, that phrase wasn't stuck in my mind good enough for me to decipher anything. I did decipher the stone myself after finding the actual pangram though.

Also had to look up the security question. Another one I would never have gotten on my own, no matter how long I would think about it. At least I deciphered the text. And of course the black monolith.

mabber36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By mabber36

the first half of fez was a much better game

all that cryptography crap adds nothing to the core concept of the game

Arker101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Arker101

I was going to play Fez again today, but now I'm scared.

Harkat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Harkat

I'm a little sad that I used ample help from the internet to figure out Fez. My notes are still pretty crazy, but nowhere near this elaborate.

shodan2020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#43  Edited By shodan2020

Goddamnit! That's what the fuck the bell and clock towers are all about! :)

Evercaptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Evercaptor

That's a gorgeous little Moleskin, Mr Klepek. I can't say a pad of that dimension makes sense for most people, but I can see you pulling it off.

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#45  Edited By big_jon

Got this yesterday.

Supercancer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Supercancer

I feel terrible now, I stooped to looking up solutions to the puzzles instead of doing the right thing and deciphering them myself. (Although I DID translate the entire dialog sequence with the hexahedron and with all of the villagers, which I feel kinda proud of).

Also, did anyone else get kinda addicted to those old web-based URL puzzles that were a bit popular some years back? Those were cool.

agentoharah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#47  Edited By agentoharah

@mabber36 said:

the first half of fez was a much better game

all that cryptography crap adds nothing to the core concept of the game

The first half of Fez plays itself...

I'd say that the cryptography is the core concept of the game, because through it is how you learn the story taking place in the game, what's really going on...jumping and spinning gives you none of that whatsoever, just prompts from your little guide buddy about how he's useless to you and doesn't remember anything

ethan_raiden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#48  Edited By ethan_raiden

If you guys are interested there are people here on the bomb that are working on a guide for this game, head over to the fez forums to find it.

AthleticShark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By AthleticShark

I watched the quicklook and it seemed like just a platformer. Now there is all this "secret" stuff. So, what the hell is this game anyways? I mean what is the goal, the point? To get 300%?

EchoEcho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By EchoEcho

@HellBound: The end "goal" is to get all possible collectibles in the game, of which there are a finite amount, and therefore a definitive end to the game. It's just that to actually acquire all of them requires an intense amount of puzzle solving, deciphering, etc. In the process of solving the puzzles of the game, you also learn a lot about the world, its history, its people, etc. that the game doesn't present to you otherwise.

The platformer aspect of the game is little more than a means to get you from one place to another, and once you finish the game the first time (which is mandatory in order to gain an ability that lets you further decode many of the game's conundrums and collect the rest of the items), the platforming is completely meaningless -- it's no longer the point of the game at all, and really never was.

It's an interesting game if you like to exercise your brain in that way. If you're more interested in a good platformer, though, then Fez doesn't really fill that need. For as deep as the puzzle-solving goes, the platforming is incredibly simple throughout the majority of the game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.