Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Fez

Game » consists of 15 releases. Released Apr 13, 2012

A puzzle platformer developed by Polytron that uses a 2D perspective shifting mechanic to solve puzzles and complete levels. The main character, a white creature named Gomez, wears a fez and is obsessed with collecting hats.

Official Fez puzzle hint thread!

ZimboDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By ZimboDK

Alright guys, I'm pretty sure we're gonna need this (I know I am). I've run into a ton of puzzles I just can't solve, so I figured a hint thread might be a good idea.

For the spinning owl head Can apparently be done anywhere

You could look at a certain list, you point whore!

The spinning skull

Kinda messy if dead people face different directions

In one particular room

Quick Response Code scanning is required

mod edit: I'm trying to collaborate all the info in this thread into a guide. If you want to help then PM me and I'll give you access to it.

gatehouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By gatehouse

Any one have any hints for the last puzzle before the teleporter in the windmill section? It's got two pivots and I have no clue what to actually do.

gunstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By gunstar

But you can do that achievement anywhere, i don't think its related to the owl head.

ZimboDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By ZimboDK

@gunstar said:

But you can do that achievement anywhere, i don't think its related to the owl head.

Really? Huh, I must have entered it wrong then.

hardlux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By hardlux

How about the room on the first level with a giant heater in it. You can get out side the room and on top of it. ??? No clue what to do next. Actually, it's happening in a few rooms...

Lustreplush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By Lustreplush

What is the secret on the bell level?

ADAMWD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

#7  Edited By ADAMWD

I'm trying to figure out the school house room and also the temple looking area that you get the several maps for. There also must be something significant regarding the different tetris pieces. The problem I'm having is that I just have no idea if there is anything you find later in the game that you need for some of the puzzles, or if you can solve any of them at any time.

GioVANNI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By GioVANNI

What about the room with the QR code? Do I actually have to scan it? I don't have a smartphone, or any phone for that matter

WMWA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By WMWA
    @GioVANNI I believ you do or at least google. When I QR scanned it gave me a notepad of button inputs, like a Konkani code of sorts. Idk how they'd convey that to you otherwise. Kinda alienates the audience but given what this game is, the audience was alienated from the beginning. If you can snap a pic of the we code I'll scan it for you
    GioVANNI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By GioVANNI

@wmaustin55: I don't have a phone but I do have a shitty camera. One second, I'll send you a pm of the code.

It's silly to require a smartphone to access part of the game. That doesn't seem like something that would fly past Microsoft's (apparently) rigid guidelines.

takua108

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#11  Edited By takua108

So does this game have some kind of internal language, like in Riven? If so, any hints on how you decypher it?

ADAMWD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ADAMWD

@takua108: The alphabet has already been deciphered, but if you wish to solve it on your own, the best hint I can give you is that one point during the game there is an event that takes place that is a physical representation of a famous pangram. It involves two animals. Next to where the event occurs is a stone that has every symbol that corresponds to Fez's alphabet.

wizpig64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By wizpig64

This took me a bit of effort to get right, so I guess it's worth putting up here. These are clues for the telescope room/observatory (ordered in increasing spolierness):

• The telescope should be facing outwards towards the camera when the player can see the exit door. From what I can tell, the only thing in the sky is facing this way.
    • What you're looking for can only be seen at night.
    • Look for two red dots blinking back and forth. They seem to make a pattern.
    • Exit the telescope and enter the pattern by pulling your left and right triggers respective to the dots.
    • The pattern is LL R L R L R LLL R LL RR L. You might need to repeat it. in case i got the loop endpoints wrong.
    Dredlockz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Dredlockz

@GioVANNI said:

What about the room with the QR code? Do I actually have to scan it? I don't have a smartphone, or any phone for that matter

Yeah, You need an QR code scanner.

I have found 3 QR codes so far.

Avatar image for james_giant_peach
    James_Giant_Peach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@GioVANNI: @wmaustin55: @Dredlockz:

Just for the record, a QR scanner is not required to 100% the game at all. I think it's a really cool feature, and the team had enough sense to include alternate ways of completing those puzzles.

Quote from Renaud Bedard (FEZ Programmer):

A note about the QR codes : there are alternate puzzles for every one of them. So even if you can't scan them, you can ignore them and 100% the game with other means. The alternate puzzles *are* much harder, though. :)

Dredlockz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Dredlockz

@James_Giant_Peach said:

@GioVANNI: @wmaustin55: @Dredlockz:

Just for the record, a QR scanner is not required to 100% the game at all. I think it's a really cool feature, and the team had enough sense to include alternate ways of completing those puzzles.

Quote from Renaud Bedard (FEZ Programmer):

A note about the QR codes : there are alternate puzzles for every one of them. So even if you can't scan them, you can ignore them and 100% the game with other means. The alternate puzzles *are* much harder, though. :)

aha! that makes a lot of sense. Because some secrets were solved without me actually solving them.I guess those are redundant for folks without QR scanners.

Geveeso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Geveeso

I can't figure out how to lower the water level, and it's stopping me from getting my last two cubes. Please, any help would be useful.

EDIT: Got it. I hate everything right now.

CptDanger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By CptDanger
    No Caption Provided

anyone figured these out?

Avatar image for ingloriousthomas
    ingloriousthomas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By ingloriousthomas

@CptDanger: I almost figured it out. You need the skull artifact and have to use it in the steam room in Fez's home town. there are many clues there about these shrines.

Geveeso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Geveeso

If anyone makes any headway on the final 3 puzzles, I'm stuck on two of them. Seems like most everyone is (who've gotten to it).

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By xyzygy

I am in one of those purple rooms with the cubes you can push. It's the one inside a tree in the same world as the water. Pretty early. Well I can't figure out what the hell to do in these rooms - I have found two purple cube rooms so far. One has patterns on each wall (two walls have a horizontal L and two walls have an upside down T). I tried making the squares fit together so that they re-create the shapes that are on the wall when you switch back and forth through perspectives, but nothing happened.

It was hard and took a long time to do that too, because they don't give you much room and if you screw up, you can't pull - only push! So if you push a cube too far you have to waste a bunch of time pushing it off the edge and wait for it to respawn!

The other purple room has a box on top with room for a cube in it. When I put the top-most cube on other cubes and push the whole thing, a certain perspective will make that side of the box light up. However it's impossible to get the other cubes to fit the others sides of the walls because, as far as I know, there is no way to lift the cubes or make anything other than the topmost cube respawn in order to actually make anything fit!!

EDIT: OK, so it seems like you CAN actually lift. Wish I would have picked up on that sooner!

D43M0N

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By D43M0N

I'm stuck on a puzzle from a purple doorway; it exits you to a tree, that's surrounded by water, but only the tree's there...no doors, or anything else. It was in the Quick Look but damned if I can figure out where to go next. Also, going along that same path from the Hub, there's a room with a totem that sucks away your perspective-shift power. Any ideas how to crack that one?

Avatar image for ingloriousthomas
    ingloriousthomas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By ingloriousthomas

@Geveeso: There are no "final" puzzles since all puzzles can be completed in any order. Specify which ones and we can help.

Geveeso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Geveeso

@ingloriousthomas:

The ones involving the 9th Treasure Map (the burnt one) and the Security Question involving letter blocks.

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#25  Edited By FancySoapsMan

@GioVANNI said:

@wmaustin55: I don't have a phone but I do have a shitty camera. One second, I'll send you a pm of the code.

It's silly to require a smartphone to access part of the game. That doesn't seem like something that would fly past Microsoft's (apparently) rigid guidelines.

You can use a webcam to scan QR codes

louiedog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By louiedog

Can someone give me a hint on the "What's my name?" security question? Yes, I've translated both sides.

Robo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Robo

@ADAMWD said:

@takua108: The alphabet has already been deciphered, but if you wish to solve it on your own, the best hint I can give you is that one point during the game there is an event that takes place that is a physical representation of a famous pangram. It involves two animals. Next to where the event occurs is a stone that has every symbol that corresponds to Fez's alphabet.

Ohhh, dude...DUDE.

I'm not reading anymore hints, I knew there had to be something more to that. Brb, deciphering.

uberexplodey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#28  Edited By uberexplodey
    No Caption Provided

Been racking my brain on this one. I feel like I'm close to getting it, but not quite yet.

VinnieH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By VinnieH

u have to decode it first,u need to find the decode room in one of the door that opend when u reach certain amount of cubes, also u need to use the number system to follow the 1 2 3 steps

mnzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By mnzy

What do you have to do in the little room with a throne in it? If I need a certain item or information first, I don't want to know the solution, because I don't have any. But right know, this is driving me crazy. 

VinnieH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By VinnieH

have the same questions,but becareful, there is no secrect symble on that room(there was two room with different symbles) but i think it will be useful latter.

Mnemoidian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Mnemoidian

@mnzy:

They're supposed to map to inputs. From what I understand, some people have gotten anti-cubes from inputting, other people report that the rooms have turned gold without them "finishing" those puzzles.

@UberExplodey:

You need to figure out how to decode something in that room. The matrix-display is a good hint, but there's a bit of a leap (IMO) of logic to get it. But there's probably everything you need to figure it out in the room...

@louiedog: @Geveeso:

As far as I can tell, the Security Question puzzle is one of 2(?) puzzles no one seems to have gotten yet. None of my attempts have worked yet.
    austinmiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By austinmiller

oo man, this thread is great. while I'm having trouble on a lot of these puzzles, one is sticking out to me right now. In the bell world, there is a door leading to an island with a tree in the middle and nothing else. It looks to be on some kind of pyramid structure. There is a ledge you can drop down, and it makes a beep

What do I do?

Mnemoidian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Mnemoidian

@austinmiller: You'll be back a lot later. Keep moving :)

edit: slightly more information...

To be clear, you need to do something on another map that does something to that area. Once you do, it will become clear what you need to do.
    chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#35  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

@D43M0N: @austinmiller:

You eventually can lower the water level in that entire area. It reveals a hidden door there that requires all 64 cubes to open.

Barrabas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#36  Edited By Barrabas

Does anyone know at what speed the white clock moves? I'm currently sitting with the hand at about the 11:30 position. That seems close enough that it might be worth waiting, but for all I know it could still take hours to get to 12:00.

monkfishesq

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By monkfishesq

For the pillars with a small cube in the middle. You need to be in NG+ to solve them.

Robo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Robo

Anyone decipher the book artifact? Any useful info there?

I found out how to open it/flip pages and decoded the first page, but it seems to be a jumble of letters that has to be sorted out. But if it's another pointless message like most of what I've decoded in the world so far, I'm not going to waste my time.
    monkfishesq

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By monkfishesq

@UberExplodey said:

No Caption Provided

Been racking my brain on this one. I feel like I'm close to getting it, but not quite yet.

The lights correspond to what button you just pushed. So write them down on a piece of paper!

The pillar on the right? You have to read them left to right on it's side. So 90 degrees counter clockwise (to the left) SO that would be Up, A, RT, LT, A, Down, LT, RT (At least I hope so!)
    Robo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Robo

I don't really get how the symbols on the walls opposite thrones are supposed to correspond to button presses.

Tried everything, nothing works.

jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#41  Edited By jeff

@UberExplodey said:

No Caption Provided

This is where you learn what the Tetris symbols translate to (though there's another room in the game that gives you a piece of vital information about how the symbols appear in-world). That pillar full of shapes on the lower platform is a code you can enter once you've figured it out.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#42  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

@Robo: Yeah, it seems like there's something else to those throne puzzles that I'm missing. Entering in the buttons listed on the wall doesn't seem to work. I thought maybe the symbol on the top of the throne itself might need to be factored in as well, but that isn't working for me either.

Side note, if anyone sees the crazy symbols I have scrawled all over this notebook, I think I'm going to get committed to an asylum.

Mnemoidian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Mnemoidian

@Mnemoidian said:

@mnzy:

They're supposed to map to inputs. From what I understand, some people have gotten anti-cubes from inputting, other people report that the rooms have turned gold without them "finishing" those puzzles.

Update on this:

I just finished another puzzle and one of the throne puzzle rooms turned gold.

One of the QR-code puzzles, to be specific.
    The QR-code puzzle in the "sewer" area made the "old town" (not populated) throne puzzle go gold.
    LAMP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#44  Edited By LAMP

In regards to the throne rooms (THIS IS A FULL ON SOLUTION, BE WARNED):

Combine the codes. Write the two codes down beside each other, and then alternate between the parts of the code starting with the code of the room you're in. At least, this is the theory. I got it to work in the throneroom behind the 16-Cube Door, but I haven't tried it in the other throne room.
    Barrabas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#45  Edited By Barrabas
    clark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#46  Edited By clark

I'm having a real issue with figuring out the symbols. And it feels like I can't go much further without figuring it out =\ I'm in that room with the fox jumping over the dog, but looking at this rock means nothing to me. Have stuff written down from previous rooms to try and figure it out. Nothing =(

Anyone have a tip as to how I figure it out?

monkfishesq

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By monkfishesq

@Clark:

It's a rosetta stone. It translates into 'The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog. It's made harder because it's backwards. You read it from right to left, top to bottom. So it's
    F B Q T
    O R U H
    X O I E
    W C
    N K

Then the other side is the rest of it.

Damn thing is messing up the formatting...
    Robo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Robo

@Clark You familiar with the direction in which Japanese and Chinese is traditionally written?

clark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#49  Edited By clark

@MonkfishEsq: Thank you. I probably wouldn't of gotten that any time soon.

Hoop30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Hoop30

Three questions 1. Where is the fox jumping over the dog. I cannot find it. 2. How do you lower the water level 3. How do you get in the glowing door at the large waterfall.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.