Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Fez

Game » consists of 15 releases. Released Apr 13, 2012

A puzzle platformer developed by Polytron that uses a 2D perspective shifting mechanic to solve puzzles and complete levels. The main character, a white creature named Gomez, wears a fez and is obsessed with collecting hats.

So Steam won't launch the game.

TranceQuina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By TranceQuina

Tried verifying the files, tried deleting the appcache folder of the Steam app like the support pages suggested, tried restarting Steam, restarting the PC, turning off my firewall... nothing has worked. All I get is a window claiming the game is being launched which disappears in an instant and then nothing. Trying to launch it several times in a row gives me an error message saying the app is already open, which the task manager disagrees with.

Other games will launch fine. Is anyone else having trouble with this particular game on Steam? I'm new to PC gaming, still don't really know what I'm doing here. Thanks very much!

HaltIamReptar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I'm not sure about your specific issue, but I have the GOG release, and lemme tell you, this game is buggy. So you may be out of luck until a patch hits.

TranceQuina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By TranceQuina

@haltiamreptar: Hmm, interesting. Well, as I understand it a Vita version should be on the way. I think if I had to pick I'd probably prefer that version, I was just so excited to finally play this thing that people have been so crazy about.

InternetDotCom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Or is that the new puzzle of Fez?

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By colourful_hippie

I'm not sure about your specific issue, but I have the GOG release, and lemme tell you, this game is buggy. So you may be out of luck until a patch hits.

Japan-1

Fish-0

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@haltiamreptar: Hmm, interesting. Well, as I understand it a Vita version should be on the way. I think if I had to pick I'd probably prefer that version, I was just so excited to finally play this thing that people have been so crazy about.

It's not actually confirmed yet, he said he's talking to Sony about it but nothing's been set. I'm holding off on purchasing the PC version because of this. And now hearing about the issues on the PC port, there's another reason to not buy it just yet.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#7  Edited By Hailinel

@trancequina said:

It's not actually confirmed yet, he said he's talking to Sony about it but nothing's been set. I'm holding off on purchasing the PC version because of this. And now hearing about the issues on the PC port, there's another reason to not buy it just yet.

How much you want to bet that an eventual Vita version would be buggy as fuck as well?

Zer0Doxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Zer0Doxy

It's a resolution issue, beb. Good luck.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

at least they don't have to shell out $10,000 or whatever for cert.

steam doesn't charge anything for patching, do they??

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel said:
    @probablytuna said:
    @trancequina said:

How much you want to bet that an eventual Vita version would be buggy as fuck as well?

Ummm, nothing?

buffaloseven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

For what it's worth, I played the game for 3 hours with no problems at all today. Running Windows 8 through Boot Camp on a 2010 15" Macbook Pro.

I've seen other reports that it's buggy as well, and Renaud Bedard mentioned there will be a Steam patch tonight.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#12  Edited By ajamafalous

Weird; I played about an hour of it after it unlocked on Steam today with zero issues. Win 7 Ultimate 64bit, if it matters.

novadth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah just freezes on start up for me. Stoked.

Nekroskop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

" CHOKE ON IT!" - Phil Fish

Avatar image for deactivated-5e851fc84effd
    deactivated-5e851fc84effd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

GOG version here no problems after about 2-hours. So helpful, I know.

2HeadedNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

heh, he actually managed to put out a buggy version of the game? ... smooth ^^ ... ill wait a bit to get it I guess.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tried verifying the files, tried deleting the appcache folder of the Steam app like the support pages suggested, tried restarting Steam, restarting the PC, turning off my firewall... nothing has worked. All I get is a window claiming the game is being launched which disappears in an instant and then nothing. Trying to launch it several times in a row gives me an error message saying the app is already open, which the task manager disagrees with.

Other games will launch fine. Is anyone else having trouble with this particular game on Steam? I'm new to PC gaming, still don't really know what I'm doing here. Thanks very much!

Did you also try deleting clientregistry.blob and appupdatestats.blob files in your Steam directory? Those are generally the files you want Steam to reacquire when something goes wrong with a game. You probably already knew this, but make sure Steam isn't running before you delete those files.

HaltIamReptar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By HaltIamReptar

Problems I've encountered: Frame hitches, CTD (3 times and counting), and graphical errors.

Oh, this is a new one thathappened five minutes ago (and why I'm in this thread): massive borders that don't change with resolution/full screen mode change. Awesome.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#19  Edited By Dagbiker

Anyone want to make a bad joke about Steam finaly taking a stand on quality control... No. ok.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By xyzygy

If people are holding out for a Vita release that won't be just as or more buggy... I just don't see it. I can't see how porting the game to three different platforms one year after the original release will result in higher quality. Especially since Polytron hasn't done anything with the Vita yet. At least with the 360 and PC, the team has been using them for years and years creating the game. Vita will be whole new bug territory for them.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

Perhaps microsoft wanting too much money was not the only reason Fez was not fixed...

TranceQuina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By TranceQuina

@ravenlight: I did try this, and strangely they didn't *stay* deleted. As soon as I try opening the game again to no avail, I check back and see that those files are back. Maybe they're supposed to be; sorry, I'm new to this kind of thing.

Point being, unfortunately that isn't working either. :(

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ravenlight: I did try this, and strangely they didn't *stay* deleted. As soon as I try opening the game again to no avail, I check back and see that those files are back. Maybe they're supposed to be; sorry, I'm new to this kind of thing.

Point being, unfortunately that isn't working either. :(

They're not supposed to stay deleted after re-launching Steam. Both .blob files are sort of like checklists Steam builds for itself to know if both your games and your local copy of Steam are up-to-date. Deleting these and relaunching Steam forces the client to recheck that everything is updated properly. Just doing this solves like 75% of all issues with Steam. If they're back, then you did it right. :D

Unfortunately, the issue with Fez falls into the latter 25% category :/

Just because I was curious, I did a little more research and apparently there's not an official Steam forum for Fez yet (weird). But they're using Get Satisfaction for now, so I guess there's something.

It hasn't been mentioned yet, so maybe this will help: Have you made sure you have the latest drivers for your graphics card? This used to be a huge pain in the ass in the golden days of PC gaming, but you should be able to do it straight through Steam now. In Steam, click on Steam (top left corner) > Check for video driver updates...

Good luck!

Zer0Doxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Seriously... it's a resolution issue.

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By kishinfoulux

Steam is doing you a favor.

MURDERSMASH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

@trancequina: If it's saying it's still running, you have to open your task manager and use the Processes tab. Find the Fez executable process, and kill it that way. You should be able to launch it again after this.

If it still doesn't work, not sure what to do after that. What are your PC's specs? CPU? Video card? How much RAM? Is your computer overclocked? What version of Windows? Do you have anti-virus software running? What about software overlays that put FPS rates, or other information on top of the game screen?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.