Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Fez

Game » consists of 15 releases. Released Apr 13, 2012

A puzzle platformer developed by Polytron that uses a 2D perspective shifting mechanic to solve puzzles and complete levels. The main character, a white creature named Gomez, wears a fez and is obsessed with collecting hats.

Stuttery Fez

Soniking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Soniking

I love this game, got it the moment it came out and beat it a few hours later. Although it's such a polished game the stutter mess that it eventually became was a letdown. The fps just dropped every few seconds ruining all the cool transitions and the more hectic screens. For the most part it ran smooth but it eventually became hard to overlook. Bums me out to the point that I think it needs some sort of patch or a degree of concern from the developers. I do love this game though, so much fun.

Soniking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Soniking

The drops and stuttering had killed me at least twice.

c418

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By c418

As far as I know Renaud is currently working like a madman on fixes, so this might get patched in the next version.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By xyzygy

Hopefully this gets patched. I was gonna pick it up ASAP but if it's still stuttery like this then I might wait for a 50% off XBLA sale.

Do you think the drops are bad enough to warrant waiting for a patch/price drop?

c418

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By c418

No, the drops are super irrelevant to the gameplay.

PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By PeasantAbuse

@xyzygy said:

Hopefully this gets patched. I was gonna pick it up ASAP but if it's still stuttery like this then I might wait for a 50% off XBLA sale.

Do you think the drops are bad enough to warrant waiting for a patch/price drop?

Personally I've only noticed stuttering when entering a new world, never when I'm actually playing.

mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#7  Edited By mracoon

I've only noticed stuttering when moving between levels, which doesn't effect gameplay. When I'm rotating around it's really smooth.

mscupcakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#8  Edited By mscupcakes

It's only happened to me during the transitions to levels and when the game quicksaves. Other than that it never occurs.

BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By BoG

@mracoon said:

I've only noticed stuttering when moving between levels, which doesn't effect gameplay. When I'm rotating around it's really smooth.

This has been my experience. The game did freeze on me once, but other than that, it's been smooth Fezzing.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By MrKlorox

After some time with Deus Ex HR on PC, I have a feeling the stuttering in Fez will be practically unnoticeable by comparison.

vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By vitor

@BoG said:

@mracoon said:

This has been my experience. The game did freeze on me once, but other than that, it's been smooth Fezzing.

The transitions between foreground and background levels always hitches up hard. Then again, as you're not in direct control of your character during those sections anyway, it's not much of an issue.

pickassoreborn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By pickassoreborn

I'm going to wait for the patch. Cheers for the heads up.

gunstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By gunstar

@C418: I'm glad you made an account here to white knight every Fez criticism.

The game DOES have stuttering problems, though it has only affected my actual gameplay once. I'm mostly experiencing it when going to and from locations in the same 'zone'.

c418

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By c418

@gunstar: I'm positive about the game because I fucking adore it. As you can also clearly see I've also played it to oblivion. And I think with that I'm a bit obliged to know if it's a problem to the game if it stutters at places.

I know that there is stuttering in the game. The transitions stutter if you play for a long time. It's completely irrelevant to the gameplay though.

There is another place where the stuttering is pretty obvious, but it fits the environment.

Also, if you die because the Xbox hiccupped for a second, that can definitely be annoying. Not so much in this game though, as it spawns you just two meters to the spot you just died from. This never happened to me after 30 hours of playing it though.

With that I don't see how it's much of an issue.

And I'm a bit disgusted that you think I joined GiantBomb only for FEZ. I am usually not interested in most video games, but this one has a special place in my heart. Now that the game is out in the public, I'm extremely curious what people think of it.

Ramone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Ramone

Yeah, but it only really happens in the loading between levels. Not really a major issue.

Relys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Relys

Memory leaking?

Inefficient rendering?

Non-parallel saving?

gunstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By gunstar

@C418: It was a little harsh. I am also really enjoying the game, I'm just playing it now and my FPS has been steadily dropping ever since I hit around 50% completion. While I wouldn't say it is ruining my experience, it is kind of annoying.

Soniking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Soniking

Eventually it goes from " wow that sucks" to "I better time my jumps when the rabbits aren't moving the platforms are at rest and the aauto-saving is done.@gunstar

mrcraggle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By mrcraggle

@BoG: I had the game freeze up on me too. It was transitioning to a new area and stuttered so hard it froze.

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By kindgineer

Meh? I mean, it sucks and all...but meh?

ADAMWD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

#21  Edited By ADAMWD

Any levels with weather effects I've found to be nearly unplayable due to the frame rate. It reminded me of how awful it was trying to get through Blighttown in Dark Souls. Really hampers the experience in my opinion.

Avatar image for captain_clayman
    captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By captain_clayman

@C418 said:

No, the drops are super irrelevant to the gameplay.

are you the real deal c418? love your music man

Robo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Robo

Yeah I imagine I'm about halfway through and it seems to be getting worse.

Also, the little effect where it zooms into the place in the background that your going to gets more and more jittery before it loads. It almost feels like it's about to crash half the time now.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By laserbolts

Looks like ill wait for a patch.

Tidel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#25  Edited By Tidel

I haven't got very far, but there's something about the stuttering that fits, tonally. I haven't found it problematic or flow-breaking yet.

Panpipe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#26  Edited By Panpipe

It keeps happening on the level transitions. Kinda taking me out of the experience. If you can wait for a patch, please wait. Not quite spoiling the experience, but it's close for me.

The game is so god damn pretty that this stuttering is really letting it down.

I think you can temporarily fix it by restarting the whole game.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#27  Edited By Bollard

@captain_clayman: Psst apparently he is! *hides*

modedude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By modedude

I've had awful framerate problems at the clock tower, it's gone straight down, pretty much unplayable.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#29  Edited By jakob187

@PeasantAbuse said:

@xyzygy said:

Personally I've only noticed stuttering when entering a new world, never when I'm actually playing.

In the later areas, there are a couple of occasions that I've had stuttering in the level itself, specifically once you get the nuts & bolts parts with the flipping platforms.

The stuttering really is a bummer, but the blue crash screens going between levels...those are WAY worse. I keep thinking my game is about to full-on crash as I'm about to hit a revelation on a puzzle. Funny thing is that I keep asking myself "is this a bug, an issue with the game, or part of the design"?

Also, goddamn is this game super fucking good!

***EDIT***

BTW, I don't know if anyone is compiling some kind of data for this, but I'm playing from Cloud saves. I don't know if that can be causing more stuttering issues than usual, as I know it causes massive issues for load times with Skyrim if you play from Cloud or Flash device/memory card saves.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.