Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Fez

Game » consists of 15 releases. Released Apr 13, 2012

A puzzle platformer developed by Polytron that uses a 2D perspective shifting mechanic to solve puzzles and complete levels. The main character, a white creature named Gomez, wears a fez and is obsessed with collecting hats.

The Soundtrack

BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By BoG

I'm curious how you all feel about the soundtrack. I absolutely love it. It has a huge impact on the mood of the game. Taking away the game's music, the bright colors and very friendly sprite images would make it feel much more.. youthful, innocent. This is the vibe I got of the seeing only images, or watching trailers. Now, playing the game, it absolutely has a more abstract, surrealist feel that still images and trailers failed to create. Clearly, the music isn't the sole contributing factor to the surrealism. The game's main concept by itself is abstract enough to do this. I absolutely love how the concept, the level design, the artwork, the chracters, and the music all come together to make me feel like I'm in some world that's a fusion of Salvador Dali, Georges Braque, and Nintendo Famicom.

Anyways, the music. I love it, mostly for the emotion it creates, as I've already stated. I had expected a more lighthearted soundtrack, akin to most platform games. What we were given was a mysterious, synthetic, and in many ways dark sound. It reminds me of movies from the 80's, too.

Sadly, none of the songs are on Youtube to enjoy freely. I found the soundtrack website here.

Here's the only sample I could find elsewhere, for your listening pleasure. This particular song, to me, is especially dark.

cookiemonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By cookiemonster

I've only watched the quick look and the trailers, but the music is the part that really stood out for me. That Forgotten tune is good. Real nice, 80s vibes. Reminds me slightly of that Drive OST.

amlabella

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#3  Edited By amlabella

After playing some of it yesterday I absolutely agree. Glad someone else pointed it out - the music can be downright creepy at times. I love it.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#4  Edited By JasonR86

I like it a lot. In a way it kind of reminds me of the Album Leaf.

Brackynews

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 48

#5  Edited By Brackynews

@BoG: There are 3 free tracks to download from Disasterpeace. And 3 demo tracks from the artist 6955, who apparently cofounded Polytron with Fish in 2009? He's working on Super TIME Force now.

Yes it's phenomenal. $5 is a steal and were it not for the last of my student loan monies I would've given over $10.

The Bandcamp player has a tracklist of 9, but embedding it seems to break the Parchment editor here unfortunately. Third time writing this comment in two different browsers... But hey Fez is crashing my 360 too, so at least there is symmetry. ;)

megalowho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 28

#6  Edited By megalowho

It's fantastic, adds tremendously to the tone of the game. Stopped me dead in my tracks more than a few times. And it still manages to be incredibly catchy, no matter how minimalist it gets.

Fez also uses silence to great effect, having stretches where no music at all plays makes the soundtrack that much more affecting when it does kick in. Impressive sound design on all fronts, really.

BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7  Edited By BoG

@Brackynews: Yeah, I tried to embed the bandcamp, but failed =(.

@megalowho: I agree with your comment about silence. I hadn't mentioned this, but many stages have no music at all. Silence is the 10th track in the game's OST.

BBQBram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By BBQBram

Yes I agree it's quite beautiful. It has that perticular sound of the MIDI being stretched apart which I really love. It's like an 8-bit Vangelis! I stumbled upon Disasterpeace's bandcamp earlier today and listened to Rise of the Obsidian Interstellar. I highly recommend it, sounded like the sci-fi version of the Fez sound.

HiCZoK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By HiCZoK

@BBQBram said:

Yes I agree it's quite beautiful. It has that perticular sound of the MIDI being stretched apart which I really love. It's like an 8-bit Vangelis! I stumbled upon Disasterpeace's bandcamp earlier today and listened to Rise of the Obsidian Interstellar. I highly recommend it, sounded like the sci-fi version of the Fez sound.

This. Best 8bit album ever next to pppppp

Brackynews

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 48

#10  Edited By Brackynews

@HiCZoK: I was tempted to disagree, but then I remembered my favourite DannyB and C418 albums aren't purely chiptune. ;p

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

#11  Edited By GunstarRed

I think a lot of it is really nice, very otherworldly. There are a couple of pieces I found to be verging on annoying, like the Game Boy looking sewer area. The final area before the big warp gate is just fantastic.

fjordson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By fjordson

I absolutely love what I've heard so far. Will definitely be buying it this on Friday. It has a really heavy atmosphere to it. Some of it reminds of Vangelis' Blad Runner work for some reason.

Bernoulli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Bernoulli

I personally found the music kind of annoying. For some reason it reminds me of music from one of my old Amiga games.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By xyzygy

The music is my favorite aspect of the game, hands down. It's fucking phenomenal. Like you said BoG, it's surreal and fits the game perfectly. It adds so much to the experience.

This is one of my favorites, thankfully it is on Youtube.

fallingskyline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By fallingskyline

such a great soundtrack for such a lovely game. everything about this is brilliant. (maybe besides the bugs the game still has)

1p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By 1p

I listen to drone music all the time, so this soundtrack is right up my alley. It contributes so much to the atmosphere of the game.

If you look at really old videos of the game, it used to have a much more traditional chiptune soundtrack by 6955. I'm glad they decided to go with something less on-the-nose.

alexpiercey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#17  Edited By alexpiercey

Thanks for using Forgotten as an example. It's been my favorite track in the game so far (although I am quite partial to the music in the gold door in the waterfall stage).

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.