Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

FIFA 12

Game » consists of 24 releases. Released Sep 27, 2011

FIFA 12 is set to be EA Sports' 2011 iteration of the franchise, covering the 2011-2012 season and will introduce tactical defending, precision dribbling and enhanced AI.

My Beef with FIFA 12

realph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By realph

1. Anyone know why are you forced to use the new Tactical Defending in ranked games? Makes me think they realised Legacy Defending was broken.

2. Why are the menus still as slow as hell, the game's starting to feel really bloated. It feels like they've been building upon the game since FIFA 09 and not removing any of the fat that's built up over the last few years.

3. For some reason in Head to Head Seasons online it doesn't save my controller configuration, meaning I have to redo it every single time I boot up the game which is rather annoying. I don't know if anyone else is experiencing this problem, I had the same problem with the Early Release also.

4. What is up with the old commentary clips? I heard Martin Tyler mention that Inter won the Champions League with Mourinho last season, it's shocking these kind of things aren't fished out by the QA team over at EA - absolutely shocking!

Apart from these little niggles the game's pretty awesome.

Avatar image for tiger_buttercup
    Tiger_Buttercup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Tiger_Buttercup

@realph: Sorry about the back and forth missing the invitations last night. I sent you one, but you were in a game. I'd still love to get together and play at some point.

realph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By realph

@Tiger_Buttercup: Yeah, no worries dude. I might be on later tonight, if you're on I'll send you a game invite.

Fainty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Fainty

Haven't played online yet but is that right that you have to use Tactical Defending for ranked matches?

Surely they'd have been better off not giving you the option at all to use the Legacy Defending mode?

Ineedaname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Ineedaname

It's still fifa, I don't mind the defending system but none of them are perfect, I feel this one is better than the last due to this meaning you can't just hold X and A and have a second man gun him down whilst you hold the line more competently than the AI, I felt that was kind of easy.

I know what you mean about the menus, I've often thought that about Fifa. I mean, it's a menu system it shouldn't lag, I've often wondered if it had anything to do with Arena mode, but the game loads fast enough these days that there's not even a need for that and wouldn't be against an option to disable it.

The game also has exceptional difficulty doing through balls, specifically over the top, that's probably just me needing to get used to it though.

One thing I'll never like is that power bar for penalties, I feel having to time a button press isn't what that is about and it should just be about the random element, but that's just my personal feeling.

Other than that, if you've played Fifa, it's still that game.

chan05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#6  Edited By chan05

@realph:

1.) yeah sucks

2.) liked FIFA 11 menus way more

3.) I didnt play head to head season but i guess thats the new ranked game mode...so stupid they dont allow you to play a ranked game from the custom game menu.

4.) Yeah heard the same comment on Mourinho...stupid

Also i dont like the physics at all. But it seems like there is a huge patch coming in about 2 weeks

kist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#7  Edited By kist

1) the Legacy defending was CHEAP, thats why they changed it. It took no brains to defend in previous Fifas. Just hold A and the cpu does everything for you. With the new Tactical defending it requires some actual skill and thus people are not used to this and loose patience. The key is all about being patient and timing your taclkes like in real life. I find it more rewarding but i understand why some people might not enjoy it. The ranked games are to judge players skill levels hence why you cant use the Legacy defending because it requires very little skill.

2) if your menus are slow you should try installing the game onto your hardrive, which should help.

Wodkaredbubu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By Wodkaredbubu

@kist said:

1) the Legacy defending was CHEAP, thats why they changed it. It took no brains to defend in previous Fifas. Just hold A and the cpu does everything for you. With the new Tactical defending it requires some actual skill and thus people are not used to this and loose patience. The key is all about being patient and timing your taclkes like in real life. I find it more rewarding but i understand why some people might not enjoy it. The ranked games are to judge players skill levels hence why you cant use the Legacy defending because it requires very little skill.

2) if your menus are slow you should try installing the game onto your hardrive, which should help.

1) Well, I tried to play a few matches Head to head and the experience was awful. I kind of get their intention behind the tactical defending, because the previous version wa sjust too easy. But what happens now is that most players I came across just switch to goalie instead of playing defense. This is cheap, not to say bullshit. This takes absoultely no skill to press the Back-Button during a game und ruins it for people like me, who are trying to get used to tactical defending but have no chance when playing against World class AI-defense.

2) Didnt help me. Installed it, but loading screens still take forever. As OP mentioned, the game needs an overhaul soon, because it sure feels like that every year they are forced to use an old engine which is running on fumes.

Avatar image for fire_of_the_wind
    Fire_Of_The_Wind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By Fire_Of_The_Wind

Legacy defending wasn't cheap, people didn't know how to get around it. People who just hold X/A against me usually end up losing because a quick one-two would take that defender out of the game. Its people who don't hold X/A that usually give trouble.

The problem I have with tactical defending is that FIFA always had a delay between pressing the tackle button and the tackle coming out on screen.

Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By Binman88

Fifa 12 runs like a dream on the PC compared to the last few PS3 versions I've played. Menus are snappy, everything looks clean and sharp and runs at a smooth minimum of 60fps. Loads super fast too. This is true of both my desktop gaming machine and my shitty laptop. Though my laptop can barely run the actual game, it loads it much faster than my PS3 ever loaded Fifa 10 or 11.

kist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#11  Edited By kist

@Wodkaredbubu: @Wodkaredbubu said:

@kist said:

1) Well, I tried to play a few matches Head to head and the experience was awful. I kind of get their intention behind the tactical defending, because the previous version wa sjust too easy. But what happens now is that most players I came across just switch to goalie instead of playing defense. This is cheap, not to say bullshit. This takes absoultely no skill to press the Back-Button during a game und ruins it for people like me, who are trying to get used to tactical defending but have no chance when playing against World class AI-defense.

2) Didnt help me. Installed it, but loading screens still take forever. As OP mentioned, the game needs an overhaul soon, because it sure feels like that every year they are forced to use an old engine which is running on fumes.

1) i've read that people are using this tactic online, but i've herd that the people behind Fifa are aware of this and looking into patching a solution for it. But yeah i agree that is a cheap move if your playing against someone using that tactic, and needs to be fixed.

2) It's unlikely much will be done with the current engine because im sure sometime soon they'll be starting work on FIFA for the next generation of consoles. I think that there's prob one more year in Fifa on current generation of consoles, so after Fifa 13 i expect a new engine to be created for the next gen of consoles

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.