Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Final Fantasy IV

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released Jul 19, 1991

Final Fantasy IV is a critically acclaimed RPG in the Final Fantasy series and one of the first of its kind to tell a heavily character-driven story. It also created the Active Time Battle system.

2D FFIV sequel coming to the Wii!

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Willy105
    Final Fantasy IV Sequel Heads to Wii

The sequel to one of the greatest RPG's ever made is getting it's sequel released to the US exclusively to the Wii, possibly via WiiWare.

The spooney bard Cecil is back!

Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Endogene

Whouhou!

JJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By JJ
    Willy105 said:
    "Final Fantasy IV Sequel Heads to Wii

The sequel to one of the greatest RPG's ever made is getting it's sequel released to the US exclusively to the Wii, possibly via WiiWare.

"
    Cecil was not the spoony bard. (I know too much about this game.)
    JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By JJOR64

I read about that.  That's pretty sweet.

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By Red

Cool, I just think it's a little too late.

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By LordXavierBritish

I don't understand what the big deal is.

It's a mobile game.

They better make some big improvements, or this is just going to be a completely failure.

PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By PureRok
    JJ said:
    "Willy105 said:
    "Final Fantasy IV Sequel Heads to Wii

"
    Cecil was not the spoony bard. (I know too much about this game.)
    "
    Yea, Edward was.
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Al3xand3r

Exclussive used loosely I imagine, as this is merely Square's new trend of porting MOBILE PHONE GAMES to home platforms, like they're doing with Crystal Defenders heading for WiiWare PSN and XBLA.

Pic looks like a lancer, though I don't know if they used that naming in that game, but they use it in later FF games.

vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9  Edited By vidiot

It was hinted that this was going to be on Live marketplace or PSN. (space on live marketplace was registered for it.) It's a bit upsetting that it's going to appear on the Wii, I'm assuming it's going to have some form of revamping from it's mobile phone roots.

But then again, who the hell knows anymore when anticipating anything regarding Square these days. They could have it running on an emulator and post it as a download on the Virtual Console for all we know. Would that be pretty terrible? Of course. Would I be surprised. NO.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Al3xand3r

Why is it upsetting it's going to be on the Wii?

Also, they'll probably run it on an emulator but release it on WiiWare so they can charge more for it than they do the SNES games (and there's no mobile phones section on VC). But, I still like Square despite their cash ins. Crystal Bearers and Dragon Quest X will rock on Wii ^_^

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#11  Edited By Meowayne

Oh for christ's sake Square-Enix, what the fuck is wrong with you?

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

First off thats Kain the dragoon 2nd edward was the spoony bard.

I hope to god they release it on something other then wii like xbox live...

suneku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By suneku

damn there was a sequel? this makes me sort of wished I kept my Wii.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By toowalrus

I know I'm going to pass. I'm not paying money for a port of a mobile phone game. Do you think the actual Final Fantasy team made this game? My moneys on the crappy mobile phone department. FFIV was pretty good, but I don't need a sequal.

Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Endogene
    TooWalrus said:
    "I know I'm going to pass. I'm not paying money for a port of a mobile phone game. Do you think the actual Final Fantasy team made this game? My moneys on the crappy mobile phone department. FFIV was pretty good, but I don't need a sequal.
    "
    Actually yes, well a couple of them. Not sure which ones.
    vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By vidiot
    Al3xand3r said:
    "Why is it upsetting it's going to be on the Wii?

Also, they'll probably run it on an emulator but release it on WiiWare so they can charge more for it than they do the SNES games (and there's no mobile phones section on VC). But, I still like Square despite their cash ins. Crystal Bearers and Dragon Quest X will rock on Wii ^_^
    "
    Because it's a narrow market. I think...No...I know it can get more attention on XBLA or PSN.

I don't want it running on an emulator, I would want Square to take some time and effort in regards to bringing it over to another platform, and not just toss it online to make a quick buck.
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Al3xand3r

Lol. Narrow. Lol. Why would it have more attention on systems that already have great "full" RPGs as opposed to the Wii which is still waiting for its break (and Square and a few other JRPG companies have it in store, but not here just yet)?

Why do people think the Wii market is so different to the DS market where Square has been enjoying insane sucess, hence all the remakes and the DQ sequel on it? And since when is a JRPG something a portion of casual gamers (if that's what you meant with narrow, when it's broader) can't enjoy?

Sheesh, from people insulting the DS because all it has is casual kiddy games (and dumping its vast library of JRPGs with those, while forgetting about its vast library of other hardcore titles) we now get people saying JRPGs are unsuitable for the Wii?

Not to mention all the people who enjoy old school titles on the Wii thanks to the Virtual Console, hence they're aware of the gaming bliss you can have without "teh HD 3D" and would be more accepting of another low-tech game, as mobile phone games are.

Heck, Virtual Console sales (of other companies, Square prefers milking ports/remakes for full price on other platforms than lower the price on downloadable formats) might be one additional reason Square decided to bring this (and Crystal Defenders) over, just like Nintendo decided to partner with Treasure for Sin & Punishment 2 after having surprisingly good sales for the original N64 game on the Virtual Console (a hardcore title and  sales on the Wii, no wai, right?).

Anyway, Square clearly think JRPGs can sell on the Wii, otherwise they'd not be making Dragon Quest X a Wii exclusive (Crystal Bearers too, but that's more action it seems). I'll trust their judgement a little better than yours, as it's actually informed this time, rather than be a few wrong bets during the beginning of this generation, or judgement based on ignorance of the platforms in question or extreme fanboyism like you. Why fanboyism? Read on.

I merely asked why it's annoying it's for the Wii, I said nothing about exclusivity, I simply don't see why people can't accept games they want ALSO being on other platforms, sheesh. Of course, I do love my Wii exclusives, but merely because the platform is so different that multi platform titles get the shaft on it, while exclusive efforts fare much better, something that's not exactly applicable on a mobile phone game's port. I'm okay with good multi platform titles like the Godfather or the Tiger Wood's games or the upcoming Virtua Tennis and wouldn't mind if other consoles got HD versions of Wii titles, as long as the controls were creative and intuitive for the Wii rather than be a compromised design based on the prospects of a multi platform. Similarly for the visuals.

Wall-o-Text!

zityz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By zityz

Bah, they have the I on the wrong end.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#19  Edited By JJOR64
    Al3xand3r said:
    "Lol. Narrow. Lol. Why would it have more attention on systems that already have great "full" RPGs as opposed to the Wii which is still waiting for its break (and Square and a few other JRPG companies have it in store, but not here just yet)? Why do people think the Wii market is so different to the DS market where Square has been enjoying insane sucess, hence all the remakes and the DQ sequel on it? And since when is a JRPG something a portion of casual gamers (if that's what you meant with narrow, when you should have said broader) can't enjoy? Sheesh, from people insulting the DS because all it has is casual kiddy games (and dumping its vast library of JRPGs with those, while forgetting about its vast library of hardcore titles) we now get people saying JRPGs are unsuitable for the Wii? Not to mention all the people who enjoy old school titles on the Wii thanks to the Virtual Console, hence they're aware of the gaming bliss you can have without "teh HD 3D" and would be more accepting of another low-tech game, as mobile phone games are. Heck, Virtual Console sales (of other companies, Square prefers milking ports/remakes for full price on other platforms than lower price on downloadable formats) might be one reason Square decided to bring this over, just like Nintendo decided to partner with Treasure for Sin & Punishment 2 after having surprising sales for the original N64 game on the Virtual Console (zomg, a hardcore title and  sales on the Wii, no wai, right?). Anyway, Square clearly think JRPGs can sell on the Wii, otherwise they'd not be making Dragon Quest X a Wii exclusive (I'd say Crystal Bearers too, but that's more action it seems). I'll trust their judgement a little better as it's actually informed this time, rather than be a few wrong decisions during the beginning of this generation, or judgement based on ignorance of the platforms in question or extreme fanboyism (like you, since I asked why it's annoying it's for the Wii, nothing about exclusivity, I don't see why people can't accept games they want ALSO being on other platforms, sheesh. And of course, I do love my Wii exclusives, but merely because the platform is so different that multi platform titles get the shaft on it, while exclusive efforts fare much better, something that's not exactly applicable on a mobile phone game port). Wall-o-Text!
    "
    I hate reading......
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Al3xand3r

Kay, I ended the joke and did some formatting if that helps :P
    On the other hand, I added additional text near the end of it :P

vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By vidiot
    Al3xand3r said:
    "Lol. Narrow. Lol. Why would it have more attention on systems that already have great "full" RPGs as opposed to the Wii which is still waiting for its break (and Square and a few other JRPG companies have it in store, but not here just yet)?

Why do people think the Wii market is so different to the DS market where Square has been enjoying insane sucess, hence all the remakes and the DQ sequel on it? And since when is a JRPG something a portion of casual gamers (if that's what you meant with narrow, when it's broader) can't enjoy?

Sheesh, from people insulting the DS because all it has is casual kiddy games (and dumping its vast library of JRPGs with those, while forgetting about its vast library of other hardcore titles) we now get people saying JRPGs are unsuitable for the Wii?

Not to mention all the people who enjoy old school titles on the Wii thanks to the Virtual Console, hence they're aware of the gaming bliss you can have without "teh HD 3D" and would be more accepting of another low-tech game, as mobile phone games are.

Heck, Virtual Console sales (of other companies, Square prefers milking ports/remakes for full price on other platforms than lower the price on downloadable formats) might be one additional reason Square decided to bring this (and Crystal Defenders) over, just like Nintendo decided to partner with Treasure for Sin & Punishment 2 after having surprisingly good sales for the original N64 game on the Virtual Console (a hardcore title and  sales on the Wii, no wai, right?).

Anyway, Square clearly think JRPGs can sell on the Wii, otherwise they'd not be making Dragon Quest X a Wii exclusive (Crystal Bearers too, but that's more action it seems). I'll trust their judgement a little better than yours, as it's actually informed this time, rather than be a few wrong bets during the beginning of this generation, or judgement based on ignorance of the platforms in question or extreme fanboyism like you. Why fanboyism? Read on.

I merely asked why it's annoying it's for the Wii, I said nothing about exclusivity, I simply don't see why people can't accept games they want ALSO being on other platforms, sheesh. Of course, I do love my Wii exclusives, but merely because the platform is so different that multi platform titles get the shaft on it, while exclusive efforts fare much better, something that's not exactly applicable on a mobile phone game's port. I'm okay with good multi platform titles like the Godfather or the Tiger Wood's games or the upcoming Virtua Tennis and wouldn't mind if other consoles got HD versions of Wii titles, as long as the controls were creative and intuitive for the Wii rather than be a compromised design based on the prospects of a multi platform. Similarly for the visuals.

Wall-o-Text!
    "
    You sir, need to take a chill pill and breathe because your taking your frustration of the lack of success of the Wii, over a legitimate opinion, and reading waaaaay to much into the small amount of things I typed.

I have work to go to, I'll respond to this in more depth later. I own every mainstream console: DS/ Wii/ 360/ PSP/ PS3, and I'm not exactly sure where you are coming from regarding half of this things you wrote here but if you want to have a legitimate conversation with me than I would suggest you stop calling me ignorant or a fanboy over the supposed "out of touch" idea that this game would have stronger sales if it was on XBLA or PSN versus the Virtual Console. This opinion is not based on how I view the Wii. It is a opinion based on downloads, users, and sales on the other platforms. Or that I would want it be great if some form of HD revamping and not a straight port of a mobile phone game.

Of course, your immediate reaction that it was because I view the Wii as some kiddy only casual system is not paranoid dillusional fanboyism at all. :/
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Al3xand3r

You need the chill pill more than I do if you think that anyone who disagrees with you (or can spent a minute to write more than one paragraph) is upset over imaginary things like the Wii's "lack of success" (hilarious, thanks).

Also, I only asked you why it's upsetting it's on the Wii (and you answered with a clear bias to the Wii's state -- even if you own one -- and the God-like ability to impose your opinion as fact since you KNOW it can sell better elsewhere) without the exclusivity factor, as it's possible it will appear on PSN and XBLA also down the line, just like their other mobile-phone-game-port, Crystal Defenders, which will have a multi platform release (with differences across versions, but still mostly just the mobile phone game). But hey, even thinking it's an exclusive, why would anyone be upset? You'll soon (well, maybe not quite) be getting FFXIII anyway, and you do have a Wii so, you can play it there. Or on your mobile phone.

Also, I asked about this particular game, and not some remake, as that is not announced, while this is. If you want to see a remake, great, but this wasn't what was being discussed so far, since it hasn't been announced as a remake, so for now I think it's safer to assume it's just a port like Crystal Defenders is as they have the same origin, so perhaps you've been having a conversation with yourself over imaginary things only you see, I couldn't forseee that when responding.

Anyway, even if it's a remake in the end, I was talking about a port in the post you chose to respond to now. Not to mention that even a remake may simply be a matter of "it's either a Wii game or we aren't doing it at all" considering not every game Square makes can be 100 years in development with FFXIII's budget, so there's still no reason to be upset as you can simply avoid it and pretend they chose "we're not doing it at all" or something, if you can't be happy it's coming at all.

What I said about the markets, how narrow one is(n't), what saturation each genre has(n't) on each platform, what could have affected the decision of putting it on this or that platform and what not, is all based on such facts, but it's merely a theory that is PLAUSIBLE. I can't know if they're 100% true, as I'm not God, and neither can you, I merely presented alternatives to your theories which you apparently plan to elaborate on, but they'll still be theories, just like mine, so not any more plausible, only affected by a different point of a view and a different bias, and obviously your personal preferences and view of the industry and what is or isn't succesful more than anything else.

In any case, it's clear Square has more faith in the WIi and its potential for JRPG sales than you, hence Crystal Bearers and Dragon Quest X for the platform (as well as this lazy port I guess). I don't see why anyone would be upset or make theories about why it should be on other platforms, after all, each platform (yes, the Wii too) gets plenty of games. But anyway, whatever theories you come up with, it's clear a company that's been in the industry for decades has a different opinion after a couple of years in this generation of  consoles, hence why they've started supporting the Wii a lot more than initially. It's much the same course they took with the DS it seems (can't wait for Dragon Quest IX on that).

BTW here's the mobile phone game's official website, it's pretty much of the same quality as the original FFIV of which it's  a sequel, so I don't expect a remake, rather a port, keeping it faithful to the original. Think of this as Square's Mega Man 9 rather than their next thing to do after FFXIII.

vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By vidiot

Disagree? About what?!
    You were the one who typed multiple paragraphs accusing me not liking the Wii and even the DS for some reason, because I have bias for it being only for kids, a accusation by the way: IS ENTIRELY YOUR OWN.
    Did I write that? No.
    What did I write? That I was displeased that Virtual Console was chosen over XBLA or PSN. I own all three current consoles on the market, my displeasure is not attributed to any form of platform prefrence, my displeasure is the crystal clear factthat more people use XBLA and PSN for digital downloads of games and media, and that because of it being released exclusivly on Virtual Console, there might a larger chance of a lazy port ending with a game that is not up to my standards of what should be on a console. Let's hope it's not just exclusive to the Virtual Console, but then again given Square's recent track record, I can't predict what they do these days.

I honestly have no idea where this: Me not having faith in Wii as a viable JRPG platform, my apparent dissaproval of the DS, are coming from at all. I did not say or even hint too, I don't even know how to respond to half the stuff you typed because I did'nt say anything even close to what you are thinking!

As for Square having more faith in the Wii and DS for JRPG's, of course they have faith in a Japanese console for JRPG's, and I do too look forward for Crystal Bearers and Dragon Quest X.

I also look foward to Final Fantasy XIII.

...and Versus XIII.

...and Star Ocean 4....

...and Last Remenant that was on the 360 last year is getting ported to PC, might check that out.

...and I havent played Infinite Undiscovery yet, I wasnt planning too, but I might just pick it up...

..I finished Crisis Core last year, they ported the first two Star Ocean's to PSP just a while ago, havent checked them out yet...

Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Endogene

Think some people here missed the fact that this game is a 16bit Final Fantasy of the same visual quality and style as the original Final Fantasy 4.

No Caption Provided

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Al3xand3r

Not me Endogene, I linked to its site in my last comment. It's looking sweet :)

Also, I never accused you of more than half the things you say vidiot, learn to read (I did say however that "people" have accused the DS of something, and now you come along doing something different for the Wii, not the same thing). I do have enough ground to see you don't hold the Wii in too high regard because a) you were actually upset(and you never responded why) about this being on the Wii, b) you called its audience "narrow" (heh, I thought its "problem" was it's "broad") and c) you claimed I'm upset (guess again, been very calm throughout:) because the Wii has a "lack of success" (rofl). Also, you didn't keep your promise :(

Protogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Protogy
    Al3xand3r said:
    "Not me Endogene, I linked to its site in my last comment. It's looking sweet :)

Also, I never accused you of more than half the things you say vidiot, learn to read (I did say however that "people" have accused the DS of something, and now you come along doing something different for the Wii, not the same thing). I do have enough ground to see you don't hold the Wii in too high regard because a) you were actually upset(and you never responded why) about this being on the Wii, b) you called its audience "narrow" (heh, I thought its "problem" was it's "broad") and c) you claimed I'm upset (guess again, been very calm throughout:) because the Wii has a "lack of success" (rofl). Also, you didn't keep your promise :(
    "
    Yeah dude, this is my first day on this website and I found this thread and i gotta say.... Lets just be lucky since it looks like you are in the marines that you are wearing a helmet most of the time. GG to you for putting words in peoples mouths XD.
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Al3xand3r

Cool, try to make sense next time...

Protogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Protogy

your one to talk

PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#29  Edited By PureRok
    Al3xand3r said:
    "Cool, try to make sense next time...
    "
    I think the way he was talking about a helmet that he was implying that you are retarded (since some "mentally challenged" people need to wear helmets). At least, after rereading it a few times, that's what I got out of it.
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Al3xand3r

Oh, thanks for the explanation. Meh, I won't trust someone who can't write anywhere near properly (not that my use of English is anywhere near perfect, but at least it's at a decent level) to understand much of what I said anyway...

Protogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Protogy
    Al3xand3r said:
    "Oh, thanks for the explanation. Meh, I won't trust someone who can't write anywhere near properly (not that my use of English is anywhere near perfect, but at least it's at a decent level) to understand much of what I said anyway...
    "
    Sorry for my "improper" English, i will retype my post so you can understand. I completely forgot that you might not be able to put together a sentence because of your "condition".

Yeah dude, this is my first day on this website and I found this thread and i gotta say.... Lets just be **thankful (since it looks like you are in the marines) that you are wearing a helmet most of the time because you are retarded**. GG** = good game** to you for putting words in peoples mouths ** like you have done in this thread to vidiot** **XD **<--- laughing face, ex: south park**.

Key: ** = things that were changed / explained.
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Al3xand3r

And yet, it was pretty clear what you said was already explained, so you didn't have to do that but... Whatever floats your boat, it's a free forum and "your" free to repeat yourself.

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#33  Edited By RHCPfan24

I still need to finish FFIV on the DS....

Protogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Protogy

Just making sure you understood is all. By the way, I never asked for your trust (your previous post).

Dresh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Dresh

What on Earth happened in here?  Some game discussion then walls of text... DSes......... helmets?  Y'all are whack... or perhaps spoony.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.