Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Final Fantasy IV

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released Jul 19, 1991

Final Fantasy IV is a critically acclaimed RPG in the Final Fantasy series and one of the first of its kind to tell a heavily character-driven story. It also created the Active Time Battle system.

One simple question about Final Fantasy 4

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 12

#1  Edited By Rhaknar

So, to put it bluntly... does it have a proper story? Don't get me wrong, this isn't a jab at the series. Its just Ive never played any FF games prior to 7 (we didnt get them on the snes here when i was a young lad), and I recently got final Fantasy 1 for the psp, and while the retro graphics and animations (or lack of) dont bother me (in fact it looks suprisingly crisp), the complete lack of a story or characters does. The game makes you create4 characters and basically just says "ok youre the 4 heroes, go" with little story, reason or even DIRECTION of where to go or what to do. This really threw me for a loop, and looking at screens of FF4 Complete for psp, i see the graphics look about the same, so im wondering if the lack of story and/or characters is the same.

I know FF6 (and 5?) are considered some of the best FF games, and i know those are...proper games, for lack of a better word, im just not sure if FF4 is aswell. I want to buy it now that it got a price drop but not if its like FF1. Apreacite the help bombers.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#2  Edited By Hailinel

Final Fantasy IV has some of the best characters and one of the best stories in the series.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By WinterSnowblind

FF4 was the first to have a "proper story" with actual characters and such, yes.

It's also one of the best games in the series (just don't touch the After Years).

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By toowalrus

There totally is- there's a dragoon and they destroy a village and... red wings... shit, it's been like 10 years, I should play FFIV again.

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Rhaknar

@Hailinel said:

Final Fantasy IV has some of the best characters and one of the best stories in the series.

@WinterSnowblind said:

FF4 was the first to have a "proper story" with actual characters and such, yes.

It's also one of the best games in the series (just don't touch the After Years).

thanks guys, apreciate the quick replies. to the shopping cart it goes then. Also, I gather from what you said Winter, that its the first to have a "proper story", that Final Fantasy 2 on the psn store is exactly like FF1 then?

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By toowalrus

Here:

BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By BoG

Yes, there is. It's actually much more story-driven than the first three games. It's an early SNES era game, so don't expect it to be perfect.

icicle7x3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By icicle7x3

There is a stor....hold on, this thread is in danger! I will sacrifice myself to protect it!

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By WinterSnowblind

@Rhaknar: Actually, I completely forgot about FF2. It was far more story and character driven than 1 or 3, but it's pretty simplistic and very dated in places.

If you enjoy the FF games enough, it's probably worth checking out.. but I'd still say the series really starts with IV, yeah.

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Rhaknar

@WinterSnowblind said:

@Rhaknar: Actually, I completely forgot about FF2. It was far more story and character driven than 1 or 3, but it's pretty simplistic and very dated in places.

If you enjoy the FF games enough, it's probably worth checking out.. but I'd still say the series really starts with IV, yeah.

cool. thanks again.

@BoG said:

Yes, there is. It's actually much more story-driven than the first three games. It's an early SNES era game, so don't expect it to be perfect.

i dont expect story perfection, but i expect...something in my rpgs. Like i said, FF1 really threw me off :p

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By monetarydread

There is a story, but don't expect anything great. I found it to be the cheesiest story in the series until 10 came along.

Spoiler:

By cheesiest story, I mean it seems that every five minutes someone is trying to sacrifice himself, or someone ends up being killed. It happens so frequently, not only did I not care, the game ended up becoming a comedy by the end.

Nottle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#12  Edited By Nottle

Cecil and Kain are pretty cool characters. Cecil starts as a dark knight but kind of struggles with his conscious when it comes to his duties and what is just.

Yeah some stuff is a little corny by todays standards, but it does give you likable characters and some good moments.

dietmango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -4

User Lists: 13

#13  Edited By dietmango

I think the first FF games were more about game than story, hence why there's barely any story in them. Nevertheless, they're enjoyable, so don't let that stop you from playing them..

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#14  Edited By Video_Game_King

@WinterSnowblind said:

FF4 was the first to have a good story with actual characters and such, yes.

I changed it so that you don't forget Final Fantasy II.

Yea, stay far the fuck away from The After Years. It's like it hates the game it's based off.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By Ravenlight

Which one was FFIV? I may or may not have named the main character BALLS and skipped through all the story elements back when I played it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.