Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Final Fantasy IV

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released Jul 19, 1991

Final Fantasy IV is a critically acclaimed RPG in the Final Fantasy series and one of the first of its kind to tell a heavily character-driven story. It also created the Active Time Battle system.

What is the best way to play FFIV now?

Shaunage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 10

#1  Edited By Shaunage

I have all platforms except Vita. I see it's available for download on at least the PSP and the Wii, and I know there was a remake on the DS, but I don't know what version I should be playing. Any ideas?

mandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By mandude

The DS version was surprisingly solid, in my opinion.

Avatar image for awesomeusername
    awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By awesomeusername

Get a Vita and play it on that.

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#4  Edited By Video_Game_King

The DS version's the best version of that game.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#5  Edited By Hailinel

The DS version, bar none.

Shaunage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Shaunage

Okay, well that looks like the way to go. Will US DS games play on an Australian 3DS? Failing that, I'm pretty sure they WILL play on an Australian DS, which I also have.

neurotic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By neurotic

@Shaunage said:

Okay, well that looks like the way to go. Will US DS games play on an Australian 3DS? Failing that, I'm pretty sure they WILL play on an Australian DS, which I also have.

Certain DS games are region-free. Did they never release FFIV in Australia?

I hear the DS version is real hard but it has 3D models and voice acting if that's a deal maker for you. Haven't played it yet cos I only just got a 3DS. The PSP version was fine, it was pretty and colourful, it was the game itself that I didn't care too much for.

Shaunage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Shaunage

They did, but we're talking about the difference between $50 and $20.

Shaunage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Shaunage

Found it a bit cheaper. Aus copies of FFIII and FFIV DS are in the mail. Thanks, guys.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By Turambar

I personally prefer the GBA version, but the DS version is fine too I guess.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Ravenlight

Rip the ROM yourself from a Super Famicom cart. Then manually patch in the script that you translated by hand. Bonus points for writing your own emulator or knowing what "IPS patching" is.

Maybe not the best, but probably the most satisfying.

Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Canteu

The DS version is the best release of all seven thousand six hundred and thirty two versions available.

rentfn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By rentfn

If one never played this series while younger. Where would be the best place to start??

audioBusting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

#14  Edited By audioBusting

@Shaunage: Most DS games are region free, but I guess it doesn't matter now.

Shaunage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Shaunage

I've always had this idiot idea that I wanted to play through the Final Fantasy games in order. I completed the GBA Dawn of Souls versions of FF1 and 2 years ago, then just stopped. I've now picked up the DS versions of 3 and 4. I did play 90% of the way through FF8 and got stuck on the last boss, because I didn't know what the hell I was doing with junctioning and levelling. Aside from that, I own, but have not played, basically all of them. I'm jump-starting that again, now.

Ducksworth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Ducksworth

Out of curiosity, why are so many people recommending the DS version? I have both PSP and DS versions and I have better memories of the PSP version. It had nicer visuals, sound, and the inclusion of the After Years was nice. I think the DS edition was more of a challenge compared to the PSP version but I'm not a fan of that particular iteration of the battle system so I liked the relaxing pace of the PSP version.

beard_of_zeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 37

#17  Edited By beard_of_zeus

@Ducksworth said:

Out of curiosity, why are so many people recommending the DS version? I have both PSP and DS versions and I have better memories of the PSP version. It had nicer visuals, sound, and the inclusion of the After Years was nice. I think the DS edition was more of a challenge compared to the PSP version but I'm not a fan of that particular iteration of the battle system so I liked the relaxing pace of the PSP version.

I'm with you, I liked the PSP version better, and like you said, it comes with the After Years (and also Interlude, which ties IV and the After Years together). I haaated the 3D graphics in the DS remake, but that might just be me. And if I remember correctly, the soundtrack was modified for the worse.

But regardless, you should play FFIV any way you can. Probably my 3rd favorite FF behind VI and X.

Shaunage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Shaunage

A more difficult question might be where I go after this: Is there a version of FFV worth playing?

topsteer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By topsteer

@Shaunage said:

A more difficult question might be where I go after this: Is there a version of FFV worth playing?

The GBA version is probably the best version of V and of the 2D Final Fantasies this one is my favorite.

I wonder why they never re-released V and VI like the others. I would love to see V get the same treatment IV did on the PSP.

ExplodeMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By ExplodeMode

@Ducksworth said:

Aside from the visuals, FF4 has really linear gameplay and the DS version adds some things to change that up. Also the new game plus option.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.