Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Final Fantasy IX

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Jul 07, 2000

Zidane Tribal and his troupe attempt to abduct Princess Garnet of Alexandria in this throwback to the classics of the series.

Deep Look: Final Fantasy IX- Speed Run Tips: Chaos Guardians

thatpinguino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By thatpinguino  Staff

Hey Duders,

Here is the latest Deep Look! Deep Looks are largely gameplay and commentary like a Giantbomb quicklook; however, I try to cover games that have been out for a while and I intend to use the videos to highlight moments and mechanics that I found particularly worthy of highlighting and exploring. Also I aim to keep the videos under 20 minutes.

This is my last FFIX speed run tip video in conjunction with the Giantbomb Community Endurance Run and I'm happy to say that we raised over $3000 for Pencils of Promise this year! Thanks to all of the people who helped with the fundraiser and to all of the people who donated. We are going to be able to send 12 kids to school on scholarship this year and that is just incredible. I hope next year can be even bigger!

In this video I show off how to prepare fore and beat all of the Chaos Guardians in Memoria (or the Four Fiends if you played FFI). Extinguish Marilith without breaking a sweat! Beat Tiamat without getting blown away! Sink Kraken without washing out! Crack Litch without dying! Also take a look at Excalibur II!

I'm not going to cover the last boss rush because my speed run prep is over and I want to move on to other games, but if you want to see how to beat Deathguise, Kuja, and Necron, then check out AGDQ's speed run of FFIX.

thatpinguino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1 thatpinguino  Staff

I don't think I mentioned this in the video, but you want to keep Zidane at max health in Memoria because there are some bosses and basic enemies that are capable of wiping your whole party in one move if everyone is in critical condition. He is maxed out to make random battles safer and to soften some of the more dangerous boss battles.

I can't wait to move on to a new game after 2 months of FFIX. I love the game, but the ins and outs of how to win battles is definitely not the thing that stands out to me in FFIX.

redking56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hate to be a pedantic asshole on the internet that gets annoyed at nothing but Zidane is a real world name and is pronounce ZEE-dan, like the name Dan. Great videos none the less thanks for doing them :)

thatpinguino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 thatpinguino  Staff

@redking56: No problem. I have been corrected on my Zidane pronunciation multiple times and every correction has been different so I'm not sure which to use. I'm trying to stick to the one from the soccer man right now. If you watch my first ff9 related video, I pronounced Zidane's name even worse.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

So now that you've had a chance to use these in a live situation, have you had any thoughts on what works and what didn't?

thatpinguino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By thatpinguino  Staff

@slag: Most of the tips I gave out worked to perfection, though my execution was a little messy here and there. The biggest thing I noticed was that the PS3 load times on FF9 really made a big impact on my time versus the AGDQ time. I was no where near as polished as they were, but just the basic realities of the PS3 disc load vs the PS2 fast disc load probably added an hour to my run a few seconds at a time. Every one of my mistakes was compounded by the slower load times and it added up to me almost missing Excalibur II (45 seconds to spare). My biggest struggle was making sure I made every preparation properly before the final battles since there is such a small margin for error in those battles. I just wish I had a little more time to practice.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.