Fighting Final Fantasy IX - Parts 14-26: Grumpy Man Yells At Cloud... No Not THAT Cloud!

• 63 results
ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 16

#51  Edited By ZombiePie  Staff
amiga1200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Replayed this myself recently and it confirmed my feeling from '99, when I first played, that it's my least-favourite of the FFs. I was so excited leading up to it for a return to FF6-style medieval angst, epic storytelling and odd hijinks. Instead, the story is a meandering mess with forgettable antagonists, a disjointed-feeling world and even more WTF narrative leaps than is usual for these games. The ending is incomprehensible. I love the character design but they just feel like there's nothing under the surface. FF7 and FF8 also have their share of narrative issues but I always felt I knew who Cloud, Tifa, Red XIII, Yuffie, Squall, Quistis etc were. Hell, I liked a lot of them. FF6 has the best of all worlds, with memorable characters, mostly-clear motivations, a fun epic tale and lots of secrets and silliness.

But as for this? Yes, both the slow battles and the trance system suck. Hated the "wear a piece of armour to learn its ability" system, too. Forced a lot of grinding.

And Zidane is an almighty creep throughout. They don't give Garnet anywhere near enough pushback against that crap.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#54  Edited By Zeik

@zombiepie: You already eliminated the obvious answers: Tetra Master, Excalibur II, and Ozma.

You'd probably hate frog catching though. I don't think anything in the game matches Chocobo Racing or Breeding from VII. That's in a league of its own.

dudeglove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@jesna: @shindig: @dudeglove: @hassun: @fezrock: @drdarkstryfe: @soimadeanaccount: @thatpinguino: @teddie: @zeik: This is all fantastic, albeit occasionally contradictory, advice! But the real question remains:

What do I do if I hate myself? If I wish to see my soul slowly leave my body, what should I do?

What is the Chocobo Racing/Breeding equivalent in Final Fantasy IX?

See that's why this game sucks, there's no equivalents of a fun house like the golden saucer racing/battle arena thing.

Now FFX on the other hand...

dudeglove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zombiepie: in other words, you basically have to grind for Ozma. If you wish to hate yourself, fight a dumb boss, only to earn a shit summon that is somehow worsethan Knights of The Round, then go for Ozma.

If you want a decent FF game set in the same-ish universe, try the FF Tactics Advance games.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jesna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By Jesna

@zombiepie: Excalibur II is the most obnoxious quest, but you have already rendered that impossible. Ozma is honestly nothing compared to the harder bosses in other entries of the franchise, but he is a massive step up compared to the rest of FF9, and requires a lot of work to even get to. So I nominate that.

Teddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zombiepie: Card collection will destroy your soul, nothing is as bad as card collection in this game. Especially because there's one card that's completely missable, so you could wind up one away from your worthless perfect collection.

Or... you could always just do the jump-rope minigame.

(Also, maybe you should do that "lost family" side quest, because apparently it's the one nobody really knew about until a few years ago)

beforet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Stellazio is worth it. Read a guide.

Chocobo Hot and Cold, Chocographs, Dives Spots, Beaches and Mountain cracks are all tied together kind of. I say it's worth it. You get a hang for the timed mini game after a bit. Use a guide for the actual treasures.

Daguerro is less of a side quest and more of a neat area. Has good things to buy, some things to find.

Friendly Monsters give great AP. Is somewhat required for beating Ozma. I have never finished this though, I just try to get what I can as I go.

Frog Catching is not worth the wait time. The only good thing is for boosting Quina's Frog Drop, one of 4 attacks that can do guaranteed max damage, and even then it takes way too fucking long.

Blue Magic is great in the early to mid game, because Quina gets things before other characters. Later on it falls off in usefullness. Lvl 5 Death is great for grinding Grand Dragons.

Master Synthesis is neat and not too out of the way. Right off the main path, but still kind of hidden.

Most ultimate weapons are straightforward to get. Some you pick up out of chests on the main path.

You cannot get Excalibur II. Do not bother with Ozma.

Everything I missed you can safely skip. This game has many side quests, and several that you can break by missing something in the middle.

You must do the Nero Family quest

dudeglove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hassun said:

@dudeglove: Ark is pretty cool, come on now.

It's tedious to get, and it only hits once despite the ludicrous animation. Even Knights has the decency to break the 9999 barrier.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dudeglove: That's why it's much more comparable to Bahamut ZERO than KotR.

Mamba219

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I think there's a big difference between "maturing toward adulthood" and "maturing with regards to how one should pursue sex," but maybe that's just me.

Gee_rad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I will readily admit that I am genuinely afflicted with "ANALYSIS PARALYSIS." I take my time in selecting my attacks and many of combat frustrations are due in large part to this.

Analysis paralysis? Listen, I have played Final Fantasy 1–10 and part of 12 (which I had to quit for my sanity). If it's not a boss fight, you can almost always just mash "Attack" unless you have a good reason not to. A good reason might be exploiting obvious elemental weaknesses and dealing with some of the worse status effects. Don't use Cure spells or healing items unless a party member's dead or about to die. (Do the rest of your healing in the menu after the fight.)

In boss fights, dedicate one character to casting Cure every round, either on the most hurt party member or on all party members. In emergencies, have (preferably) a non-magic character use healing items. Everyone else uses their most powerful abilities as fast as possible, modulo the boss's elemental weakness and/or gimmick. Use MP restore items as needed.

Some characters have no-MP-cost special abilities that are occasionally worth using in random fights, and in 8, you need to use Draw, but, speaking from experience, there is really, truly, no need to think about it more than that. Mash "Attack".

I find the combat to be mostly boring and tedious, but almost never frustrating.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.